2 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Lol okay but did you miss the part where half the reason I stick cotton swabs up my ears is to get rid of the water and wax after my showers? ūüėā

Not at all. I usually have no problem getting my ears to drain/ dry out when they are cleared of all the excess wax. 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 

Other Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Pushup* (push) 

2 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

* doing this instead of bench press will also add in some additional core work :)

I'll just do a plank between sets lol

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

4 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Lol okay but did you miss the part where half the reason I stick cotton swabs up my ears is to get rid of the water and wax after my showers? ūüėā

The pressure from the syringe should help with that. Honestly, long-term the swabs really do make things worse. If you really want to 'scoop' stuff out, something like a plastic curette might be a better choice?

4 minutes ago, Snickie said:

This is a good idea for numbers. Now to fill in the list.

I like these ones:

Goblet squat (KBs or DBs work)

Hip Thrust

Push Up (I definitely agree with WhiteGhost about the core/extra benefit vs bench press; the movement itself is more useful than static planks IMO) or cable press

Inverted Row (or TRX, if that's available)

KB bottom-up half kneeling press

Lat Pulldowns (or you can use the pull-up assist machine)

Farmer's Walk for a 'finisher'

Ideally you want one of each:

Squat (aka Knee Dominant)

Hinge (aka Hip Dominant)

Vertical Push

Vertical Pull

Horizontal Push

Horizontal Pull

I also like to add a loaded carry, personally; they're a fun/effective way to end the workout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

A lot of very good things I'm seeing here! I'm excited to try some of these. Only thing is the KB bottom-up press looks like an overhead and if overhead press is another word for military press then this facility won't let me do them. But it is something I can do with a 10 lb DB at home (until 10 lb gets to be too easy).

I'll put some of these on an index card with a grid for sets and let you all know how it goes tomorrow! :D

Any tips for on-the-go refueling would be great too btw. I have leftover beef vegetable soup that I plan to have for lunch but I probably won't get to eat that for a while after I do the gym thing so suggestions please! I also have Larabars but I don't imagine those would be very filling after a workout but what do I know anymore. :D 

2 hours ago, Snickie said:

A lot of very good things I'm seeing here! I'm excited to try some of these. Only thing is the KB bottom-up press looks like an overhead and if overhead press is another word for military press then this facility won't let me do them. But it is something I can do with a 10 lb DB at home (until 10 lb gets to be too easy).

Like....ANY overhead pressing, or just military presses? A military press is a TYPE of overhead press, but not all overhead presses are military presses. You could try landmine presses instead, or handstands, or pike pushups if you're really nervous about someone bothering you about it. But a vertical press is by definition over the head. That's literally the plane of movement. Either way, a gym shouldn't really be barring any movements unless they're actually dangerous (not just dependent on individual form) or abuses the equipment, IMO.

2 hours ago, Snickie said:

Any tips for on-the-go refueling would be great too btw. I have leftover beef vegetable soup that I plan to have for lunch but I probably won't get to eat that for a while after I do the gym thing so suggestions please! I also have Larabars but I don't imagine those would be very filling after a workout but what do I know anymore. :D

Larabars are mostly carbs (not a bad thing), but ideally you'll also get some protein in around the workout time as well. Honestly though, periworkout nutrition isn't hugely essential so long as you're eating well and getting in enough protein for your total intake. Personally, I'm a fan of a quick protein powder shake with some banana or frozen berries. But you could also try a protein bar, or maybe meat jerky along with the larabar? Even a peanut butter apple wouldn't go amiss. If you're looking for REALLY simple, milk is rarely a bad choice (assuming you can process it).

• Like 2

Attached is the exercise I did. They gave me no grief over the overhead press which is good, although they do have a strict no zipper policy. 

I wasn't very happy with the cable presses. I was having trouble maintaining form and it's probably because I have very little chest strength, which is sad because a few years ago I could do 12 regular pushups in one set (I got to like week 3 or 4 in the 100 pushups challenge) with questionable form (very wide and only went about halfway down) but cable presses at a fifth of my body weight were hard. I tried to do an incline pushup with proper form at the start but it was just not there. Kind of demoralizing but that was the low point.

Cable rows are hard in a way inverted bodyweight rows aren't. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's how easy it is to go off balance compared to supporting one weight (yourself or barbell) where going off balance leaves you either sideways or with the end of a barbell smacking your face. I definitely want to work on this during the week.

Hip thrusts are weird. The bench I used was a little high and I'm like "how am I going to balance a weight on here?" The preloaded barbells are nice for this until I get to the top but I must say it felt weird doing this while being the only fee-mayle in the weights section. What is it with girls and cardio? I hate cardio lol (mainly because I suck at it but also I can get my cardio in via weight training circuits)

Very happy with my goblet squats and assisted pull-ups and farmer's carry. On another note, I should use my time at the gym to practice my rows with non neutral grip.

Didn’t plank as much as I wanted to but that's because I put it down underneath farmer's carry and so I forgot about it until the end lol. I'm still pulling 30 seconds a set so I'm happy for now.

The log:

Numbers in fractions have the number of reps (per side where applicable) on top and weight setting on the bottom. In the case of the rows, cable presses, overheads, and farmer's carry, the weight is for each hand. The whole numbers represent that I did not change weight from the previous set. For the assisted pull-ups, a down arrow means I did lat pulldowns and an up arrow means I did actual assisted pull-ups. Plank time is in seconds.

20200123_134915.jpg

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

looks like a great workout! 

Other Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Good morning everyone, how are yooooOOOHH MY GOD THE DOMS. THE DOMS!!!

Today's to-do list:

* Thermodynamics chapter 3 everything

* Drink one gallon of water

* Idk something to get me moving after work so I can move all the lactic acid through

* Buy a 16 oz steak and eat it. (Probably not)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Snickie said:

Good morning everyone, how are yooooOOOHH MY GOD THE DOMS. THE DOMS!!!

140844877_download(5).gif.519a3fa671bd0b166f98181f54b88fda.gif

But actually yes, I'm sorry you're feeling sore. Definitely move as much as you are able, and in the future it might help to take some BCAAs or whey protein before the workout. I'm also a big fan of using a car buffer (aka cheap percussive massager) after lifting, and to help dissipate some of the pain the following days. If you're really desperate, tart cherry juice sometimes helps!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Definitely dealing with some toxic thoughts tonight. I wrote out some ramblings and I was going to put them in a spoiler tag but nobody needs that. Here's a brief summary instead:

Work sucks because I'm too dependent on Bitchy coworker and I should quit but I can't because it's half my income.

Our internet sucks. I tried to make it better by moving the modem/router and got flat out told no by our sucky internet.

The deadlines for my thermodynamics class are on WEDNESDAY, NOT FRIDAY OR SUNDAY. I now have all the deadlines in my Google Calendar along with many, many reminders.

In other news, they're closing down all the Lucky's Market stores in Florida except for one in west Melbourne because Kroger pulled out. Which makes me sad because now I have to go all the way into Orlando to get decent ramen. As opposed to the once every two or three months I get ramen at Lucky's normally.

Overall a bad day. Which is really not that bad when you consider that my dad lives in pain 24/7 and his pain is not self-inflicted like my DOMS and I live in a nice house with a family that loves me to pieces and can afford to feed and clothe me.

Also I got leftover Moe's for lunch. Specifically tacos. Which is a specific craving I have been having for the past few days and then I show up to work today and it's just there in the fridge free to anyone who wants it.

• Like 2

Definitely sounds like a rough week.  Good job starting to focus on the positives, that can be hard when life hits a rough patch.

Also:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761181246cf39f632a62a2

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

focus on the positives

You misunderstand (although I totally don't blame you for it). When I say these things, I'm berating myself for complaining about my first world problems rather than actually appreciating the many things I am blessed with*, a habit that is very very hard to break and is one of a few reasons why I am considering counseling. I even took a step to initiate the process and now I'm fighting the stigma I've put on myself that going to therapy means I'm weak or whatever or that I can't trust my family with it (I can't because some of this is about them) or that something is Wrong with me. Not that bottling it up or putting it all anonymously ish online are better practices (they really aren't) but at least it's common. If you're wondering how that battle is going, the stigma is winning.

*Except for the tacos. Tacos are always a positive. I did the taco stuff again at work today, only this time I crumbled up the shells (they were getting stale) and made it into a taco salad instead. Other than going a little too heavy on the Pico, it was really good.

Also the software people finally fixed the multipage scanning function and so I got caught up on document scanning (we were a month behind so there were some 400 pages to scan) and the weekday folks¬†have get to sort it all into the e-charts. ūüėÉ

• Like 1

At least you recognize them as good things you have, that's a start.  The next (hard) step is accepting that just because you have good things doesn't make the bad things any less bad.  I highly recommend counselling, if you can.  The stigma is very real, but eventually we'll convince them that we were right to confront the issues and overcome them (or they'll all die and we won't have to listen to them anymore).  So take care of yourself.

And if you need to gripe about it online, at least you've found a good place to do so.¬†ūü§ó

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

So I was getting the bikes out and we were going to go riding today because the weather is gorgeous for it, and then my thumb got caught in the kickstand and this happened.

20200126_124628.jpg

This picture is from a few hours ago. My thumb is pretty swollen now. Imagine if I had gone biking anyway and tried to shift gears on this. (We went walking instead.)

So now I'm a lefty for a week or so. At least I did that training so I can write with my left hand.

• Sad 1

Yikes! Probably good you didn't try biking with that thumb? 

Level 2 Ninja

Well I took the bike out for a spin around the cul-de-sac because I was trying to figure out why our tire pump was acting up and the bike rode just fine but that involved absolutely no gear changes at all and I kind of prodded the gear with my thumb and I'm like "I'm going to forget about this while riding and push on it wrong and this is going to hurt too much" so I had my mom put away the bikes while I went inside and tried to reduce some of the pain already in my thumb.

And I think I exaggerated the extent of the disability yesterday. Pain does that lol. I'm able to do most things with that thumb and hand including writing although my grip will be slightly different to avoid pushing on the blood blister.

I'm going to try for a bodyweight workout this morning before I have to take my dad to the doctor.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 8:12 PM, Snickie said:

You misunderstand (although I totally don't blame you for it). When I say these things, I'm berating myself for complaining about my first world problems rather than actually appreciating the many things I am blessed with*, a habit that is very very hard to break and is one of a few reasons why I am considering counseling. I even took a step to initiate the process and now I'm fighting the stigma I've put on myself that going to therapy means I'm weak or whatever or that I can't trust my family with it (I can't because some of this is about them) or that something is Wrong with me. Not that bottling it up or putting it all anonymously ish online are better practices (they really aren't) but at least it's common. If you're wondering how that battle is going, the stigma is winning.

Agree that the stigma is real, but consider... the stigma is real among people who haven't been to therapy. Those who have been know how useful it is, and that there's a better life on the other side.

Consider it like if you broke a bone. You'd look at everyone else walking around without broken bones and think "Wow, I suck at life. I'm the only one with a broken bone. I should just suck it up and eventually it won't be broken." What you can't see is all the people who have broken bones in the past, went to someone who was trained to fix them, and got them fixed up so they're no longer a problem (or as much of one). Waiting it out will eventually heal the bone, but it won't have healed right and will continue to cause problems. People who have never broken a bone and don't know the pain and problems it causes can scoff and say "walk it off" all they want, but do you think they'd keep saying that if they suddenly broke a bone? 

Not saying it's easy to buck the stigma, but it's definitely worth it. For one, you find more people who have also gone through therapy and know - personally - it's not a bad thing. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, Current

Didn't really get to the bodyweight workout yesterday. I'm trying to figure out good BW movements that are analogous or at least complimentary to what I'm trying to accomplish at the gym and that I can easily put into a circuit. Also I didn't want to drag my dad's walker out of the closet and cram it into the two feet of space I have between my bed and the boxes of junk I've been slowly pulling from my closet. Excuses excuses, I know.  I'm trying to ease my way back into the strength training routine.

Not sure if being whiny or maybe possibly injured but damn. Those cable presses. Easily caused the most soreness for me this week in my pecs (minor I think, surprisingly) and subclavius, moreso on the right side than the left. It's getting better. I've been massaging that area a lot and I have a topical cream that's supposed to relieve muscle pain. I just. How do I mind this area better when I go back on Thursday?

I think I was standing in front of the cables rather than between them. Should I try standing between them instead? Or should I just bench the preloaded 30-lb barbell this week (since my weights on the cable press were 12.5 lb on each side and thus less than the regular barbell by itself)?

Proposed schedule:

R 1/30 - Gym

M 2/3 - BW

R 2/6 - Gym

U 2/9 - bike + BW if not overly sore

T 2/11 - BW

R 2/13 - Gym

UTR repeating.

Maybe split BW days so I do a little something every day once I'm in the habit.

20200130_100540.thumb.jpg.887300a82c098972b4c0ad7c367719ad.jpg

Circuit 1

* Goblet squats - really happy with these. Always going down into Asian squat because I can.

* Cable press - stood between the bars instead of in front of them. Definitely didn't have as much load as before since switching positions but not weight, but that's ok because my right pec area is still a bit tight from last week. We'll see how Monday goes for pushups and then I'll decide if I'm going to move forward again or not.

* Cable rows - the second set I tried the variation where you cross the cables and pull them across and it felt like more of a load than last week. I think I'll do it again. Grip is hard on these - I'm attuned to neutral so that's where I default but I'm trying to strengthen pull-up and chin-up grips as well so ????.

Circuit 2

* Hip thrust - idk where the 20 lb barbell went so I used the 30 lb barbell and hoo boy I think I'll stay there for a bit. Less awkwardness about it this week since there were more females in the free weights section today but finding a bench of the right height is a pain.

* Overhead DB press - dear Lord I feel like I'm getting worse at these. This is not a movement I do much in my everyday life, nevermind with something as heavy as 10 lb (cue "that's all?????"). Maybe if I were a flight attendant. Will definitely practice these on Monday. And what is form? My back arches a lot when I do these. I'd love to do a form check but there's no good place to put the phone and I'm not confident right now to ask someone to do it for me.

* Lat pulldowns - on the chin-up (last) set I made a point of trying to pull the bar down past... I guess where normal people (or maybe just me) stop. Like I'm attempting a muscle-up or something except my triceps are still weak lol. Might horizontal bench the 10 lb dumbbell at home for this. Pretty exciting.

I was pretty beat by the time I got to the last set of the second circuit and then the planks and loaded carry but I improved upon last week so for now I'm happy. Except for the push exercises. I won't be happy with those until I can start doing the 100 pushups challenge with good form.

I got two lunches today ūüėÉ so not worried about caloric deficit like I usually am (although my grandmother made three full dinners for dinner last night so plenty of opportunity to meet caloric needs there too lol).

Fixing my Fitbit is definitely on my to-do list for this week because I'd like to see where my heart rate sits at during these circuits. Proof that I do get cardio this way LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Snickie said:

* Overhead DB press - dear Lord I feel like I'm getting worse at these. This is not a movement I do much in my everyday life, nevermind with something as heavy as 10 lb (cue "that's all?????"). Maybe if I were a flight attendant. Will definitely practice these on Monday. And what is form? My back arches a lot when I do these. I'd love to do a form check but there's no good place to put the phone and I'm not confident right now to ask someone to do it for me.

Assuming it's the same as handstands, you're looking for a hollow body position with your core.  Back straight, abs tights.  Hopefully a lifter can verify though.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

Hopefully a lifter can verify though.

@Defining¬†ūüėČ

But in all honesty I need to spend some time doing the mobility work like in the warriors mini. I think that will help a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am 100% not an expert, you might want to ask @Grumble or @Gainsdalf the Whey for tips on overhead pressing. From my own experience there's a good chance that if your back is arching that you need to work on your thoracic extension and shoulder mobility. Here's a good intro for screening yourself to see if you need to work on that kind of form. If that's the case, you can try a half-kneeling KB bottoms up press or landmine presses (both one arm at a time) while you work on it. I bow to the knowledge of the more experienced members here, hopefully they'll be able to chime in with some thoughts for you.

• Like 2

Monday BW workout

Walking lunges - 8 | 8 | 

Bathroom close-grip counter pushups - 6 | 6 | 

Walker rows - 5 | 5

Plank - 30 | 30

The lunges have definitely made me better at squats. 

Pushups still have bad form. I'm never going to fix these am I.

I think I'll do the crossed variation of cable rows this coming Thursday. Considering I can do more reps of those currently than I can the walker rows

Edit: My grandma had a nearly flat tire this morning (she has a slow leak that she refuses to pay to have fixed) and because I wasn't comfortable driving it even to the gas station with how flat it looked (taking care of her car is apparently my job), I pumped the tire from 13 to about 34 psi with the bicycle pump. So that was my cardio and triceps workout for the day.

Next BW: Monday probably. Maybe Sunday if the family decides not to be busy and I subsequently decide not to be lazy.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, Snickie said:

Anyone who says "that's all," go ahead and give 'em the dumbbells and see how they do. I'd wager that most people who don't regularly target those muscles are gonna hush up right quick. 

Personal 2 cents, with the "I am not an expert" caveat... I do these on an inclined bench, because I have known shoulder issues - roughly the same incline as this guy. I can then keep my back pressed against the bench (cue for tightening the core) to better support the upper body. 

Nice work on the goals, and yes, agree that weights work help the cardio system. :) 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, Current