Got this from my mom this morning:

I think I'm building endurance.  I was on the elliptical for 40 minutes and my heart rate stayed between 112 and 120.  It used to be in the 130s and 140.  I need to kick it up a notch.

Yay Mom!

Also, way to rub it in my face that my cardio is certifiably terrible. XD

(I tend to push myself too hard when doing cardio except for biking. So my heart rate is easily 180 when I do that stuff and I can't breathe.)

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

3 hours ago, Snickie said:

Pushups still have bad form. I'm never going to fix these am I.

If you're form is bad, focus on fixing it, not on getting reps.  That'll help you more in the long run by preventing injuries and ensuring getting the full benefits of the exercise.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

If you're form is bad, focus on fixing it, not on getting reps.  That'll help you more in the long run by preventing injuries and ensuring getting the full benefits of the exercise.

This is my purpose for downgrading from the knee pushups I did a year or two ago to the bathroom counter incline pushups - to practice getting all the way down and to keep good form throughout. But thanks to my surprising lack of upper body strength I'm even having trouble with those now. Which is part of why I'm at the gym this semester - to isolate and strengthen those muscle groups for one day a week and then put them together for my bodyweight days.

My aunt is like my size but she can do 60 pushups like it's nothing. #goals

I'm not overweight (quite the opposite, actually) so it's kind of frustrating that I'm not able to do some of these exercises. Then again I'm really bad at sticking to a regimen/routine for more than a month so it's not surprising.

I need to start planning for my next challenge cycle.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, Snickie said:

* Overhead DB press - dear Lord I feel like I'm getting worse at these. This is not a movement I do much in my everyday life, nevermind with something as heavy as 10 lb (cue "that's all?????"). Maybe if I were a flight attendant. Will definitely practice these on Monday. And what is form? My back arches a lot when I do these. I'd love to do a form check but there's no good place to put the phone and I'm not confident right now to ask someone to do it for me.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:43 PM, Defining said:

I am 100% not an expert, you might want to ask @Grumble or @Gainsdalf the Whey for tips on overhead pressing. From my own experience there's a good chance that if your back is arching that you need to work on your thoracic extension and shoulder mobility. Here's a good intro for screening yourself to see if you need to work on that kind of form. If that's the case, you can try a half-kneeling KB bottoms up press or landmine presses (both one arm at a time) while you work on it. I bow to the knowledge of the more experienced members here, hopefully they'll be able to chime in with some thoughts for you.

Mobility can definitely be a part of it, but it's usually at least part lacking proper form and cuing. Read read both articles (the first one is really a video, watch it) and come back with questions. They talk specifically about barbell press, but the same stuff applies to dumbbell rows mechanics wise. The main difference with dumbbells is that you may be more comfortable starting them rotated to a neutral grip (handle going forward backward) at your shoulders and rotate them as you go up. You just have to be very careful to maintain the elbow rotation if you do this. The second link directly addresses the low back form. Careful, he's a little brash with wording, but it's good information. I personally think about squeezing my glutes and quads as hard as possible as shoving my hips forward to show off my belt buckle, but you can overdo this as well.

https://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/3-press-fixes/

https://70sbig.com/blog/2013/04/ac-discusses-the-press/

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

20200206_193040.thumb.jpg.95483cc30f2af132cd519deed33d8c5a.jpg

Overall felt like a slower day.

Circuit 1

* Goblet squats - could feel myself getting unbalanced in the last set so I'll probably stay at 15 lb for a little longer.

* Overhead DB press - with the almost-upright bench like @Manarelle suggested, thanks! Also I did try the elbow rotation that @Gainsdalf the Whey suggested on the second set and I think it really helped. I haven't had a chance to view those links yet but anyway. Still struggling through 3 sets of 9-10 per arm at 10 lb but at least I have a better idea about my form so I'll be here a little while longer.

* Dumbbell rows... since I was using the same weights for the other two exercises so why not get all my dumbbell exercises done at once. 15 lb is delightfully challenging.

Circuit 2 

Weigh-in this morning at 121 lb.

* Assisted dips - traded in cable press this week for assisted dips at 55 lb. Switching things up keeps it interesting for me. They were surprisingly not as hard as I was expecting. Next time I'll try 45 or 50 lb.

* Assisted pull-ups / lat pulldowns - with more focus than usual on the eccentric motion. I felt very meh on these today. I think I was starting to get bored.  Or maybe I was already tired from upping the resistance on the rows. I don't know. Better luck next week. The assisted pull-up machine isn't very friendly towards chin-ups.

* Hip thrusts with barbell - 30 lb isn't hard until you get towards the 8th or 9th rep, and then my butt is certifiably on fire for the tenth. I'll upgrade when the fire doesn't come until 13 reps. The preloaded barbells have wonky bars (to make curls nicer I guess) and make my crotch bulge out when I'm doing the thrusts. I really wish there were a way to make these les awkward but I'm not sure that'll come until I can start using the regular barbell.

No planks today. Wasn't feeling it. Maybe tomorrow (but not at work).

First farmers carry was easy, then I remembered I'm trying to use less of a palm grip and then the second and third one were hard lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snickie said:

* Overhead DB press - with the almost-upright bench like @Manarelle suggested, thanks! Also I did try the elbow rotation that @Gainsdalf the Whey suggested on the second set and I think it really helped. I haven't had a chance to view those links yet but anyway. Still struggling through 3 sets of 9-10 per arm at 10 lb but at least I have a better idea about my form so I'll be here a little while longer.

Yay, glad to hear it helped. 3 sets of 10 is nothing to sneeze at; you'll know when you're ready to move on. 

12 hours ago, Snickie said:

* Hip thrusts with barbell - 30 lb isn't hard until you get towards the 8th or 9th rep, and then my butt is certifiably on fire for the tenth. I'll upgrade when the fire doesn't come until 13 reps. The preloaded barbells have wonky bars (to make curls nicer I guess) and make my crotch bulge out when I'm doing the thrusts. I really wish there were a way to make these les awkward but I'm not sure that'll come until I can start using the regular barbell.

Is it possible to bring a pad/ use a yoga mat/ cushion to make it easier on your midsection until you can move to the regular barbell? If not, make like David Bowie and own that crotch bulge. :D 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

make like David Bowie and own that crotch bulge

I don't see how that's attractive??? Lol and anyway I don't have the "equipment" to make that happen. I could probably get something to make that happen, but why would I want to...? 😂

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

In before the buzzer! :) How'd it go? 

About 11 miles, maybe a little more since there was a detour on the trail that took us through downtown (And holy crap the uphill to get there). Lots of people were out and not paying attention and definitely not following trail etiquette, especially around the beach areas and definitely in downtown, and I actually left my mom behind in downtown because apparently she wasn't screaming at people to get out of her way like I was. 😬 Although it was kind of nice not hearing my mom scream at me whenever I got near a stop sign and a car was somewhere within a 3 mile radius.

• Like 2