Seabright's 2020 Battle Log of Awesomeness

I stood up for someone today.

And I did it respectfully. And I had a rationale that could be understood by others. And I didn't back down. 

I stood up for someone today. And it felt good.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Fri, Dec 11

Okay. Did the preso. Termed the Masters. Had 2 days of crappy eating centering on the spousal unit's german chocolate birthday cake. Leftover cake thrown out. First no-coffee day scheduled for tomorrow. About 50 Christmas cards to go. Deep, deep chesty cough, but pretty sure it is cake-related. Walked basically every other day, which is about right at this point. Digging out 'No Need for Speed' and will adapt to a walking program. 

Feeling ready!!

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - veggie scramble with 3 sausage patties.
  • Lunch - the most amazing pear ever, i shit you not.
  • Dinner - grilled chicken  and veggies.

Daily exercise:

• None. Wiped out on all levels.

Focus:

Focus this week will be on reintroducing my morning routine habits, one-at-a-time-ish.

• I'm feeling good about this. When time was tight, I just shortened things, rather than skipping entirely. I really LOVE the way I feel in the morning after I do all of this, mentally and physically.
  • Next week, I'll focus on adding a little bit more time here and there. Will also come up with an end-of-the-day routing of some kind.

Side challenges:

• Move brokerage firm to trust.
  • Finalize evac plan, print, post, and file.
  • Take pictures of everything for insurance.
  • Call art restoration lady about restoring portrait of GG Louise.
  • Work on draft of letter to current owners. 

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Mon, Dec 14

My cousin sent me a box of cookies. A BIG box of cookies. Oh dear.

Also, super-busy week on-deck, so decided to stop caffeine this coming Friday. I may just be telling myself stories, but I felt that this was not the week to be all cranky and snappy at people. 

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - veggie scramble with turkey sausages.
  • Lunch - turkey chili and broc
  • Dinner - grilled chicken  and veggies.
  • Snack - like, a million cookies. 

Daily exercise:

• Brisk walk - a little farther and a little steadier at a slightly brisker pace than last week's walks.
  • Seriously out of breath and sweating when I got back to the house. So weird. 
  • Oh well. The road to recovery is sometimes a long 'un. Just gotta keep on keepin' on!

Focus:

Focus this week will be on getting through this nagging to-do list of stuff. Stuff that's been hanging on. I'd like to make progress on at least one thing each day.

• Finalized hotel rates, made a reservation, and communicate to the brothers. DONE!
  • Checked in on title insurance in the name of the trust. DONE!
  • Checked in on homeowner's insurance in the name of the trust. DONE!
  • Tried to create new V account in the name of the trust with no joy. Tried to talk to a human and ended up sending a note to tech support.
  • Got the rest of the family addresses for list of beneficiaries.DONE!

Side challenges:

Human Adventurer

Tue, Dec 15

On hold with Vanguard for, like 23 minutes now. Thought I'd post an update since I'm just freakin' sitting here.

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - veggie scramble with turkey sausages.
  • Lunch - turkey chili and broc
  • Dinner - fish tacos--just the fish. left the tortillas alone. had some chips, too.
  • Snacks - tons and tons and tons of Christmas cookies.

Note: by the end of the day, felt horrible. Agitated and weepy and blech-y. 

Daily exercise:

• Yoga - 15 minutes twists and general stretching.
  • Brisk walk - would normally be doing that right now, but I'm sitting here on freakin' hold with freakin' Vanguard in-freakin'-stead.

Focus:

Focus this week will be on getting through this nagging to-do list of stuff. Stuff that's been hanging on. I'd like to make progress on at least one thing each day.

• Create new V account in the name of the trust.
  • Actually put the family addresses on the beneficiary list.
  • Send out the last of the Christmas cards. DONE!
  • Write to cousin Jimmy.

Side challenges:

Human Adventurer

Wed, Dec 16

Yesterday ended with no joy from Vanguard (after being on hold for over an hour), along with a payment overdue notice from the state tax board for a payment I made in October. 'Agitated' doesn't begin to describe how I was feeling.

I had forgotten -- all this stuff takes time. Things go wrong, emails don't get sent, follow-up calls have to happen, calls get transferred and dropped, you are sent down the wrong path and then have to start again. This is the process. I had forgotten: Just settle in for the ride. It's expected. It may take weeks. But it will get done. 

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - scrambled eggs and sausage. 
  • Lunch - turkey chili and broc.
  • Dinner - turkey burger and a mountain o' broc.
  • Snacks - the last of the Christmas cookies. my work here is done.

Daily exercise:

• None. 
  • From first thing in the am to the end of the day, every free moment spent on hold on in a file, trying to figure it all out. 

Focus:

• Create new V account in the name of the trust. (Not done. Another round of being-on-hold-foreverness.)
  • Actually put the family addresses on the beneficiary list. (Not done. Got 'em all, just not done.)
  • Write to cousin Jimmy. DONE!

Side challenges:

Human Adventurer

Fri, Dec 18

For the trust stuff, we all just gave up. They are mailing me an application. For the health stuff, the deepening cough is worse at night. I feel like I'm not doing enough to kick it (witness the cookie-box-faceplant-action). The next 2 weeks are all about my health. 

This is my last day of work for the next 2 weeks, and I plan to sign off as early as possible. 

Challenges are:

- Getting off coffee and staying off coffee.

- Following a plan of regular, gentle exercise.

- Finding alone time to write.

- Pinpointing ambient stress triggers and getting rid of 'em.

- Spending as much time outdoors as possible, given, you know, winter.

- Staying strong in the face of general fatigue.

Eating paleo:

• Breakfast - coffee and a muffin. this shall be the last.
  • Lunch - turkey chili and broc.
  • Dinner - grilled chicken and veggies.
  • Snack - 2 little thingies of applesauce.

Daily exercise:

• Walk pending.
  • Update: Walk  not done.

Focus:

Changing up today's focus list a bit.

• Make progress on one thing.

Side challenges:

• Move brokerage firm to trust. Almost there! Bailed on doing it online and just sent in the forms.
  • Write letter to current owners. Done!

Human Adventurer

Dec 31, 2020

End of year wrap!

Well well well well well. WELL. For this year, I decided to let it all slide. All the Jan 1st, 2020 first-entry-of-the-battle-log excitement, yep, all of that,  just letting it go this year. Instead, a recap of how things ended up during the last 2 weeks of the year. Sooooooooooooooo...in no particular order:

Health

• Quit coffee in the last week. Now I'm just a person that doesn't drink caffeinated drinks. A+
  • Good nutrition. Ended the year strong, with the occasional fish taco on a flour tortilla and a few chips being the main transgressions. B+
  • Started Tai Chi again. Very excited about this! Got inspired watching Sun do a rooftop form on Sense8. I also thought to myself: When did I feel the best that I can remember? The lightest of heart, the most relaxed, and with no stress or coughing? When I was teaching Tai Chi for a living. The short form was there at my fingertips, but the 40 is going to take some work to recover from the ol' brainwaves. The sword? Feggitabawtit. Found a good vid, though, and looking forward to polishing up my sword and starting anew. A+ 
  • Coughing a lot still. Time to call the doc. Have been too chicken. D-

Life

• Music. Bought a little bluetooth speaker and started listening to music again. Sang in the shower for the first time in months. Have been looking at my guitar.  C+
  • Estate planning. Pretty much done, can you believe it? Some loose ends to clean up, but all the big paperwork-y stuff is done. A+
  • Writing. Did my morning pages pretty consistently. Wrote to my cousin, to the Las Rocas owners (returned, but I did  it), wrote a Christmas letter, wrote a presentation for work, wrote an article for the style guide for work. A+
  • Thinking. It took me the first 10 of my 16 days off to relax. I've been thinking a lot about stress, where it comes from (me), and how to let go of some things. Reminding myself of the Tai Chi Me has been an essential part of this. I've spent the last 4 years bearing so much stress I've forgotten what normal feels like. I feel like my year ended with my head in a really good place, as far as calming down, savoring the moment, and letting go of some big stuff. I'm really looking forward to carrying this over to the next year in ways that I haven't experienced in many years. A+

So there we go! i don't know how this all adds up numerically, but i feel like I'm in a much better place mentally than I have been in years. Therefore, I'm giving myself an

A+

Yay for me!

See you in 2021, Rebels!

Human Adventurer