Greetings from Oklahoma!

Greetings from Oklahoma! I’m a soon to be 50 year old male, with four kids, and four grandkids. Retired from the Air Force back in 2014. Been a geek even before I was married, so I don’t have to hide it from my wife.

I’ve always hated going to the gym, and overall exercising. As it was required back in my military days, I grudging performed PT, but never enjoyed it. Once I retired I happily fled the gym and regimented exercises. Recently I’ve become aware that I’m not exactly getting younger, and if I don’t start taking care of myself, I’ll have a lot of health problems in my senior years. I also wanted to be a good example for my kids.

My fitness quest was on the back burner until I discovered this website. Over the new year week I devoured the articles, and was thrilled to realize that I wasn’t the only geek out there that didn’t like how “traditional” exercise programs were presented.

So I’ve got the gym membership at the local mega franchise gym, but I’ve followed the advice about how to get a gym regiment going. So far I’ve done nothing but simply walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a time, while watching episodes of MST3K. In years past I would immediately dive in and try to get a super exercise regime going, only to burn out soon after. Now I’m having fun just getting a routine going. Maybe in a few weeks I’ll be ready to tackle something else.

Been using Linux as my main operating system since 2008. I got back into DnD five years ago, and I’m currently DM of a group as we play “Hoard of the Dragon Queen”. Game nights are always a favorite time for me.

One of my fitness goals is to get into semi-decent shape enough to take my boys and ride our bicycles on the trails of Minnesota. I lived in the Twin Cities for a few years, and really enjoyed all the trails for bikes across the state.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ScottyK said:

Greetings from Oklahoma!

Greetings and welcome to the forums!

21 hours ago, ScottyK said:

In years past I would immediately dive in and try to get a super exercise regime going, only to burn out soon after. Now I’m having fun just getting a routine going. Maybe in a few weeks I’ll be ready to tackle something else.

That seems like a sound approach. Good luck with your fitness journey :) 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru