• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Monika

Does planning/setting goals help weight loss?

12 hours ago, Monika said:

Yes,, well it depends😉 It depends on how SMARt your goals are for one, and how achievable. If you search the NF blog, you will find lots of help for good goal setting. I will only eat healthy from now on is a vague goal that doesn't help.A good goal is also part planning: I will bring my lunch to work instead of buying fast food. That means you are going to have to plan your lunches and buy and prep the food. It's a good , specific goal, with a measurable outcome. That's just an example though.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

Yes,, well it depends😉 It depends on how SMARt your goals are for one, and how achievable. If you search the NF blog, you will find lots of help for good goal setting. I will only eat healthy from now on is a vague goal that doesn't help.A good goal is also part planning: I will bring my lunch to work instead of buying fast food. That means you are going to have to plan your lunches and buy and prep the food. It's a good , specific goal, with a measurable outcome. That's just an example though.

Thank you Elastigirl I will a search and some reading! 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, Monika said:

I think so, yes. 

Last year, I worked with a qualified strength and conditioning coach via online correspondence. We would catch up over the phone every two weeks and if I had questions, I would e-mail her, so our contact with one another was regular. 

Taking information from me, such as my current weight (at the time), body fat percentage, foods that I enjoyed to eat and disliked, and what I was capable of doing in the gym, she was able to construct a gym program for me that was tailored toward periodisation and progression. She was also able to create a diet and nutrition plan for me as well. 

In January 2019, I weighed 120.4kg (265.4 Ibs). In November 2018, I had unfairly lost my previous job and I had knee surgery on my right knee (no ACL, 70% of meniscus is gone) so I not only became physically inactive and unmotivated, but I started to eat very poorly, resulting in weight gain. So, for 2019, we planned a few goals: 

- Rehabilitate my right knee, so that I could return to my chosen sport, judo, along with other activities (such as dead lifts and squats) and avoid future surgery.

- Lose About 21kg (46.2 Ibs) by September 2019 (so 9 months), because I wanted to return to my judo weight class of under 100kg (220.4 Ibs) and compete at a national competition. 

At the end of every two weeks, my coach and I would talk and catch up and from there, we would make evaluations. Was I still losing weight, or was it slowing down? Was I able to lift what I was being asked to do at the gym, or was I unable to? Is my knee coping with all this? All of these questions would lead to small changes to my nutrition and exercise program. 

Because we set a realistic goal and had a plan in place, a plan that was fluid and adaptive to change, I was able to lose 22kg (48.5 Ibs) in 9 months. My right knee is quite good now, it's not perfect, but I am able to squat and dead lift, I train in judo and I went to that competition last year, winning a gold medal in one division and a silver medal in another. 

Set realistic goals and plans. I know it sounds cliche but sometimes, the old saying of "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" stands true.