• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedStone

RedStone Scraps One, Adds One

9 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Skating sounds SO FUN!!!!! I'm so jealous! Have the absolute best time! :) 

We went in December and it was just awesome. (I actually wanted ice skating to start with - went with my niece over thanksgiving and had a blast, but friends were more interested in roller skating so voila!) I grew up on skates and it's been years but it was the most fun and I was pretty sore the day after! I guess three hours on skates can do that lol. Trying to make it a regular thing now! Its a bit of a drive but not a deal breaker fr a once a month event :D 

_____

I have a fun little side quest! A week from Friday my Kung Fu family from Brooklyn is coming up the river to visit for a New Years weekend workout. While they're here they're going to help hang the wooden dummy in the studio to bring some good luck into the new year - kind of an old school version of:

YTM82nm.gif

It's snowy here and I don't have a great inside space for staining and sanding (that hasn't been converted into a gym) so a friend is letting me use his epic workshop hang/cave to finish the pieces I need for installation. With visitors in the middle of the week, today was a great time to start. If energy allows I will do a strength workout (I'm pretty wiped from hours of sanding and clients end at eight) and then tomorrow is skating, so I can get my other challenge workouts in Friday and/or Saturday. Writing will be pushed to the weekend but that shouldn't really be an issue with an empty house.

Meanwhile, I got bubbles from the little ginger bug this morning and lots more this afternoon! Huzzah! If that keeps up I'm going to do a few small batches this weekend and I'm super excited 

source.gif

• Like 6

Yesterday's sanding left me pooped. I did a little core work but that was about it, then was visited by three magical sharks and took a bubble bath while watching Gravity Falls.

I went to the ortho this morning for my followup about my wrist and had a good chat about the sort of transitional place I'm in - getting better, not totally there yet. The joint is stabilizing, and I'm having much less pain so a gentle and cautious exploration about what I can handle is fine. He warned me that grip is effected, (I could barely pick up a pencil at first!) and to continue laying off anything that requires twisting the joint - also to be careful with free weights. I demo-ed a trap bar deadlift while wearing the brace last night (no added weight) and didn't have too much trouble, which makes sense since the wrists are in a neutral position. DB deadlifts seem like they might be a good place to start so long as I'm smart about weight and don't do anything questionable.

Bestie is coming over in a few hours and then skating tonight! I thought about doing more sanding today but it left me pretty wiped yesterday and it's really not such a crazy rush, so I didn't see a reason to torture myself today, especially feeling the sting of shark bites. I did do some core last night but I wouldn't call it a full strength session - but I did have 2 alcohol free days already this week. With social stuff towards the end I find it's easier to knock it out at the beginning! Here's my not so epic slug life sanding lewk from yesterday - tonight's 80s skate party outfit will be way better!

cZiEMtp.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/16/2020 at 9:58 AM, RedStone said:

Another thing she has been encouraging me to do is to have some non screen time activity blocks as a waking meditation, at least 30 mins at a time. Reaching for the phone every five minutes (even when I'm looking at a computer screen 🙄) has become pretty normal. I belong to an artist collective in my town and used yesterday's co-working session to relax, no screens, and work on a cross stitch that sparks joy. I noticed the screen use more all day, and left it at home for date night, surprise surprise I felt way more focused and present! 

Thank you for saying this, I've been looking at adding this into a challenge and hadn't even considered using screen time to track my usage so that I could measure it. Sometimes the obvious escapes you when you don't give yourself time to think because your screen is right there tempting you...

• Like 2

Oddly enough I feel like I failed this week even tho I have 3 (2.8?) full days and plenty of time to finish. Really, all I have to do is get in a strength session today and Sunday, and one more run. Booze has been handled for the week, and mindfulness continues to develop. OH WAIT it's the writing that I haven't done! That's right that's right. I do have a chance, but it won't be to compliance exactly... I would have to put in 4 sessions between today and Sunday, and I'm only supossed to do 1 session a day... but I could still get the work done at least? 

I'm... having trouble prioritizing the book. 

Spoiler

Okay so. I started this project almost a year ago, when I started working with my business coach. I was working in a big health club, knowing that I was going to quit, but totally unsure of what that was going to look like, when it was going to happen etc. The book started as a fun outlet, and as it developed into something cool, I wanted to use it as a springboard for starting my business! But life had other plans. 

As the business model came into the focus, the book I had set out to write became less aligned with that model. My focus shifted from serving the "general public" (GP - as the fitness industry so elegantly refers to the masses) and more directed to my personal niche. The book, however, having been started while I was doing general work, was directed towards that first group. I think there are seeds in there for what Im doing now, but there's so much to sort through and make sense of that I started working with an editor to help me make sense of this change. 

I think it would help me to do some journalling about why I'm writing this book, how it's changed, and who it's for. I'm looking for a balanced voice that's more open and direct about my opinions, but that isn't so specific that it still speaks to a readership. 

After being away from the forums for awhile, I'm remembering the value of posting like this, sort of like a journal too! I'm glad I'm here. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, J3NN said:

Thank you for saying this, I've been looking at adding this into a challenge and hadn't even considered using screen time to track my usage so that I could measure it. Sometimes the obvious escapes you when you don't give yourself time to think because your screen is right there tempting you...

Maybe we should do a mini! Do you think other people would like that too? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

I feel like mini's have limited success in this guild, people are gung ho at the beginning, but fade away. Maybe a mini-mini like you suggested... I'm guilty of fading away too, so I'm probably not much help. :) But if you put one together, I'll give it a good try.

P.S. Congratulations GL!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J3NN said:

I feel like mini's have limited success in this guild, people are gung ho at the beginning, but fade away. Maybe a mini-mini like you suggested... I'm guilty of fading away too, so I'm probably not much help. :) But if you put one together, I'll give it a good try.

P.S. Congratulations GL!

Haha maybe a micro mini! I'll hold off for awhile tho, want to get a feel for the practices round here :) 

• Like 2

Well it's definitely been  whirlwind around here. With Mr Red gone for a long weekend I filled up my schedule with social activities and barely had any down time! I've gotten a good deal done for my challenge with one (kind of expected) shortcoming this week.

Friday

-ran/lifted at the gym

-worked on book over lunch

-finished sanding and staining the wood

-went to clothing swap at friends and ended up staying up waaaaay too late but there was a hot tub sooo

Saturday

-Slept in

-Kung Fu class

-Cleaned house

-hosted my old boss for a full on tea party, it was adorbs and fun

-watched frozen and half of Moana with friend (she stayed over, maybe we'll watch the rest)

-Hosted friends for mahjong and rock band (stayed up later than I like, but not as bad as Friday or last Wednesday

Today I have my friend over who crashed and we'll probably do a little bit of something. I'm going to get in some strength work but I'm still quite sore from Friday, so it won't be crazy heavy. I want to clean out the fridge (again) and do a little meal prep, but probably nothing crazy since I have some stuff left in the fridge.

So things look good, it was just short on writing and I'm okay with that. Going to prioritize it for next week!

• Like 6

On 1/20/2020 at 6:54 AM, RedStone said:

While cousin was here he introduced me to the much smaller brewing process of (practically non alcoholic) ginger beer! It makes really lovely herbaceous naturally carbonated ginger based stuff, and takes a fraction of the time as beer. (And I'm really not such a big fan of beer anyway).

I love me some ginger beer and am also not a fan of normal beer. Never thought of trying to brew my own before, but it sounds really neat!.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, J3NN said:

;) I stick around to the end generally but yahhhhhh motivation dwindles haha

Also gasp GL. I did not notice. Congrats

On 1/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, RedStone said:

PVP?

On 1/26/2020 at 11:42 AM, RedStone said:

-went to clothing swap at friends and ended up staying up waaaaay too late but there was a hot tub sooo

This sounds super cool! I've never done a clothing swap, but what a great idea!

• Like 1

The journaling / brain dump /organizing thoughts bit that NF brings is very precious isn't it :)

Now I'm very curious about your book. May I ask what your niche is? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

This sounds super cool! I've never done a clothing swap, but what a great idea!

Isn't it? I had fun and got some great stuff. The friend that hosted it is also doing one for work to switch up on professional pieces!

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The journaling / brain dump /organizing thoughts bit that NF brings is very precious isn't it :)

Yeah for sure, I feel like I'm a bit more present in a way that's slightly different from my normal train of thought journaling. Glad to have it back!

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Now I'm very curious about your book. May I ask what your niche is? 

Sure! Here it is in context to my personal challenges with getting the work done.

Spoiler

The biggest difference now is that I work with people who don't like working out at a gym. For them, exercise is a means towards a functional and independent lifestyle and they're quite active in their lives in general. I specialize in orthopedic exercise so post rehab and pain management is something I deal with a lot, women wanting to be able to comfortably keep up with their kids or grandkids, hike every weekend, work the garden most of the year. I've taken a firm stance on a HAES, anti dieting platform and want to make sure the inclusivity is front and center in this project, which wasn't really very loud in the voice when I started.

Meanwhile, the book itself started out as a basic strength program wrapped in a self help book for people who are intimidated by the gym, targeting the 75% of the public that don't exercise with the intention of getting them comfortable with the environment and equipment, and to go in with a plan. (And friendly voice in their ear ;) ) More than a little general, and not necessarily something I have to scrap altogether.... but it doesn't take into account the aspects of training outside of the gym or in a home gym - something I love doing for clients is home gym design coupled with a program I can be sure they're doing properly and safely. And so much of the voice was pretty general...cause I was trying to reach too many people.

I guess... well, I've considered doing follow up books for the other things, or other kinds of projects, I don't know, but it's hard for me not to want to put it all into this thing that I'm doing right now. Maybe that's what I need to reconcile. Maybe this is the project I wrote for the place I was as a trainer, finish it up and move on to the next step. Or maybe it's awful and will tarnish my reputation. No pressure amirite?? 😂

• Like 5

For what it is worth, I think both the general public book idea and the more targeted to your current focus sound like they would be interesting and useful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

For what it is worth, I think both the general public book idea and the more targeted to your current focus sound like they would be interesting and useful. 

Thank you ^_^ I think there's some good stuff in there, I just want to stay focused and make sure it's speaking clearly to the right people - people that will actually want to read it LOL business is hard!!

• Like 1

No pressure xD

Your niche is lovely, that's such beautiful work! 

I'm afraid I struggle with the exact same problem of catering to too broad of an audience, so I have zero advice to offer there. But it actually sounds like you've figured more of that out than I have, it's just the original book idea holding you back.... I may be crazy, but I'd also want to write where you are right now- especially because part of the reason for writing is establishing your voice and a bit of marketing. You could still go with the premise of targeting the 75% of public that don't exercise- but just change the end goal away from getting them into the gym to giving them several options. (home gym, outside). Your goals and thoughts right now sound like we should clone you, so I vote for including that very loudly. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

No pressure xD

Your niche is lovely, that's such beautiful work! 

I'm afraid I struggle with the exact same problem of catering to too broad of an audience, so I have zero advice to offer there. But it actually sounds like you've figured more of that out than I have, it's just the original book idea holding you back.... I may be crazy, but I'd also want to write where you are right now- especially because part of the reason for writing is establishing your voice and a bit of marketing. You could still go with the premise of targeting the 75% of public that don't exercise- but just change the end goal away from getting them into the gym to giving them several options. (home gym, outside). Your goals and thoughts right now sound like we should clone you, so I vote for including that very loudly. 

OMG thank you so much!!! I don't know what to say, I feel lost so often and to hear that I'm on a good path is so fortifying. I really do need to make some changes in the structure if I'm going to stay connected to it. Part of my homework is reworking the outline, so I'm going to put some energy into looking at the big picture. 

So far as the whole niche thing, that was a huge thing I tackled with the business coach last year, I never would have done it without her :)  it was a great experience too... kind of gave me a chance to think about who I really loved working with and why, and the business model sort of fell into place. A big part of it goes back to permissions for me (always a struggle lol) permission to say no to some things and to stand up for others. I get the feeling my coach was sort of half marketing/half life coach, and I'm grateful I had that experience!

But for sure, the more fitness and health professionals I meet that are quietly building something on these principals the more empowering it is! Changing the industry for good ^_^

_____

This week is moving along well, though I had a bit of a slide back with my wrist. I'm in that golden in between period where it's getting better but not there yet, and I have a green light to carefully start exploring what it can do. As per my last few workouts... there is much it cannot do. So I am stepping back on strength and sticking to the body weight work I can handle. (GET IT? HAND-LE! I'll show myself out) I've been using kinisio tape under the brace and for when I don't wear the brace, and decided it was time to just get a roll of compression tape and see how that goes. It should help during Kung Fu, which I will very much need this weekend!

Runs are fine, Kung Fu goes back and forth between one handed and two, writing I complained about before LOL but I'm hoping to find more focus now after talking some of it out here. I haven't had any alcohol since Sunday, but Chinese New Year seminar starts this afternoon and there will be some dranks. Mindful eating continues to be present, and that's the best of the update! Not terrible. Strength is adjusting.

I can talk a bit about my anxiety, (which is manageable but ever present), and has been spiking the last few weeks. Mr Red is going through a difficult time at work that's been messing with his anxiety and depression, and so of course it's hard for me to watch him suffer. A a "giver," people tend to lean on me kinda hard and lately I feel like it's been coming from every angle. I'm pretty good at taking time for myself and in the winter probably take at least 3 relaxing baths a week LOL But I have a physical next week and am tempted to ask my doctor to increase my anxiety meds. No drinking does help my sleep patterns, which does help everything else, so that's been good, but it might be time, I dunno. I've just been extra on edge lately.

So that's been my week in challenge land! One more to go, and it'll be good to adjust goals a bit for next round, we'll see how next week shapes up, particularly with my hand!

• Like 6

Wow, in preparation for the 10 year anniversary challenge, and to, ya know, get in the spirit a bit, I just went through my old challenges to update my signature.

WOAH. What a trip it's been!

First and foremost, I thought I had taken at least 6 months off in 2019, but it looks like I only missed a few challenges, one last winter and the few surrounding my business launch this past fall. It's funny how much I was sort of beating myself up for it and in retrospect it's practically nothing! It's easy to tell where I was losing steam and it's probably a good thing that I took a little break and came back with new perspective and ready to switch guilds.

It's also particularly interesting to go back and see my attitudes evolve. When I first started here I was in the thick of an ED relapse and was using fitness in a pretty negative way, but didn't even know it at the time. I often wonder what my life and career would be like now if I hadn't gone through it all here, and with the people I met. Now that they're all here it'll be fun to bounce around and see where I'm coming from!

_____

Speaking of which. Monday update! This weekend was so so busy! Kung Fu family arrived Friday. We hung the dummy and stayed up super late, then the guy made breakfast on Saturday before starting the workshop. There were three teachers there, so we wrote up a schedule and each of us did a lesson on the workshop theme - yu-ma, the principal of the entire body working together as a unit to accomplish a movement or a goal. We timed it so we could leave right after a do a hike to a waterfall and be off the mountain by sunset. After that we went out for dinner and then stopped at a few local spots to see music. And then we stayed up way to late again. 

Feeling pretty rough on Sunday, we went for brunch and then walked around the town some, doing the necessary stops here - the fancy we only sell jerky store, and the fancy we only sell marshmallow store, bonus points for the comic shop (where I got the idea to get Mr Red some disc golf frisbees for his birthday! He's been talking about it casually for years and we have a course in town, so why not indeed!). After everyone left I winded down some and then went to play mahjong with some friends while the rest of the country watched the superbowl. I had an awesome bath and slept well.

I didn't drink a ton over the weekend, but the lack of sleep really hit me hard. Back to no drinking today, and I have to say it's getting easier. Tying in mindfulness, it's pretty obvious that it makes me feel shitty. Last week I went 4 days in a row and didn't even notice towards the end. 

Having the dummy up makes me want to train it SO BAD. I'm not sure how much my wrist can take, so I'll have to do some light and slight experiments to see. I'm thrilled with the way it came together! (LOOKIT HOW BLUE IT IS!!!! :DDDDD) 

V9VzsGj.jpg

SrV8GUw.jpg

My wrist did not like working with the cable machines last week, so I'm going back to the drawing board for movements I can do.Contenders for next challenge (which I will explore this week) are BW workouts focusing on hips and core (which has been cranky lately anyway), jong (wooden dummy) stuff, and shoulder oriented BW work.

Last... the writing. I'm still struggling. I wrote the editor telling her as much and asking for advise. She says its normal, don't panic. I know the routine isn't working for me and that I need to change it, possibly to morning. She gave me an assignment which I will start tonight or tomorrow depending on when my energy tanks. We're going to talk soon, so we'll see where that goes! I hope this conversation is better than the last one, I feel like we didn't connect well last time and I didn't feel understood or heard. I will report back...

• Like 3

On 2/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, RedStone said:

It's also particularly interesting to go back and see my attitudes evolve. When I first started here I was in the thick of an ED relapse and was using fitness in a pretty negative way, but didn't even know it at the time. I often wonder what my life and career would be like now if I hadn't gone through it all here, and with the people I met. Now that they're all here it'll be fun to bounce around and see where I'm coming from!

This next challenge will be interest as a time of reflection, reconnecting and resetting. I think it's coming at a good time for where I am too even though we're all on different cycles, if feels like the rhythm is just right now.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, RedStone said:

Kung Fu family arrived Friday. We hung the dummy and stayed up super late, then the guy made breakfast on Saturday before starting the workshop. There were three teachers there, so we wrote up a schedule and each of us did a lesson on the workshop theme - yu-ma, the principal of the entire body working together as a unit to accomplish a movement or a goal. We timed it so we could leave right after a do a hike to a waterfall and be off the mountain by sunset. After that we went out for dinner and then stopped at a few local spots to see music.

This whole thing sounds awesome from beginning to end! Love non-family, family :)

Boo, sorry about your wrist. Take it easy so you can come back strong!

Even more boo for the barriers you're facing when writing. I'm going through the same kind of blocks with a project at work. No matter how much I know I need to, I always find something else... It's making me crazy. Good luck, I hope you connect with your coach this time. If not, we can chat, happy to listen to someone else as a sounding board, just dm me. (not that I'm a professional, or trained, or anything, just sympathetic).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

This next challenge will be interest as a time of reflection, reconnecting and resetting. I think it's coming at a good time for where I am too even though we're all on different cycles, if feels like the rhythm is just right now.

That's awesome, I've been feeling the same, and even reconnecting with old friends who are saying something similar. Should be pretty cool lol

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

This whole thing sounds awesome from beginning to end! Love non-family, family :)

Chosen family ❤️ 

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

Boo, sorry about your wrist. Take it easy so you can come back strong!

Thanks! I'm back on taking it easier, and it's helping. More splint, less "trials," and I'll wait a full week of no pain before trying again. 

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

Even more boo for the barriers you're facing when writing. I'm going through the same kind of blocks with a project at work. No matter how much I know I need to, I always find something else... It's making me crazy. Good luck, I hope you connect with your coach this time. If not, we can chat, happy to listen to someone else as a sounding board, just dm me. (not that I'm a professional, or trained, or anything, just sympathetic).

Thank you! It's always useful to talk things out! I had a brain trust meeting with an entrepreneur friend this week and we addressed some of the conflicts with the project in terms of how it fits into my new business model which makes things different from when I started the project. I think I have a new approach that's a bit more in keeping, and I discovered some details about my process (that relates to some compulsive-ish/virgo-ish organization) that really facilitates production from me. Sadly I don't think the editor agrees with this approach. She wants to see more nebulous, flow chart-ish plotting, but having a clear sequential list really helps me, so I'm going ahead with agree to disagree with her. So far her homework seems to be more about writers block and I'm not really feeling heard by her. I'll finish out my contract with her for the month and then I think we'll be parting ways.

_______

So a wrap up for the challenge!

Trial and error for workouts showed me a few things, and at least for now I know what I can and can't do. I've been upping my running and Kung Fu which is just fine.

No drinking gets easier every week. I've had 4 days off a week, these past few weeks, and much less in terms of quantity. Mindful eating is coming back well .

Writing is getting a more clarified goal in terms of how it supports my business goals. Not there yet, but definitely on the right track!

Looking forward to another round, and of course ZERO WEEK YAY!!!

• Like 2