Queation on effectiveness of Stair Climbing for weight loss

as far as I KNOW

what I heard is that the effectiveness of any exercise (for weight loss) is 

a) calories consumed and

b) whether any extra muscle is added 

regarding b) I think NOT, not unless its quite intense.  (maybe doing it as a HIIT (High intensity Interval training)?)

as for a)

that's surely very hard to estimate.  but if you google it you'll find some estimates...

*walking up stairs = 620cals per hour

*running = 590cals per hour

*brisk walking =280cals per hour

…. so you see that walking up stairs does real good on this scale.  but can you do it Long enough? that's what I wonder.

if you can walk 3 hours but but only do stairs for one.  you're better off on your 3 hour walk.

and another WHOLE separate question is how hard it will be on your body to walk stairs (versus other exercises).

so in the case; other more knowledgeable people don't post.

You've asked a Horribly hard question that's full of variables...

generally,

walking up/down stairs is good exercise.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

I believe walking up and down stairs should be used as a supplement to one's weight training / cardio regimen, not an entire regimen in and of itself (if that's what you're getting at). It's very good for you in the long run though.

I remember when I visited Japan about a month ago. The escalators in the airport/train stations were very crowded but not too many people took the stairs. I decided to take the stairs more than once while lugging my 10+ kg suitcase and 13 - 18 kg backpack on my back. I didn't have any trouble doing it despite the heavy things I had to carry. That's what climbing up and down stairs can do for you in the long term because I've been taking the stairs instead of elevators/escalators for many years. 

• Like 1