Losing Belly Fat

Hi, I am looking to lose some belly fat at the moment but was born with Prune Belly Syndrome. This means I have a severe lack of abdominal muscles. I am still fairly new to this scene and was wondering if there are any effective exercises for burning fat around the belly that aren’t extortionately intensive on the abs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

14 minutes ago, ToastBread said:

Hi, I am looking to lose some belly fat at the moment but was born with Prune Belly Syndrome. This means I have a severe lack of abdominal muscles. I am still fairly new to this scene and was wondering if there are any effective exercises for burning fat around the belly that aren’t extortionately intensive on the abs. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hi ToastBread. Belly fat is lost in the same way as any other fat; through a caloric deficit. That means eating a little less than you burn each day. Exercise can help by increasing the amount of calories you burn each day (a little bit), but it can also make you hungry, so it's a trade off. If you're able to do weight or resistance training, that can help in maintaining muscle while you're eating fewer calories (everyone who loses weight loses a combination of muscle and fat, but those who lose weight while strength training lose less muscle). You don't need to target the abs specifically to lose belly fat; fat is lost from all over the body whenever daily food intake is less than what's required to maintain your weight.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Harriet is correct. And if you're bodyfat is I a healthy range, but you still feel like you have belly fat,  then you might just want to work on building muscle . You could go to the gym and do weights, or do bodyweight at home.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

59 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hi ToastBread. Belly fat is lost in the same way as any other fat; through a caloric deficit. That means eating a little less than you burn each day. Exercise can help by increasing the amount of calories you burn each day (a little bit), but it can also make you hungry, so it's a trade off. If you're able to do weight or resistance training, that can help in maintaining muscle while you're eating fewer calories (everyone who loses weight loses a combination of muscle and fat, but those who lose weight while strength training lose less muscle). You don't need to target the abs specifically to lose belly fat; fat is lost from all over the body whenever daily food intake is less than what's required to maintain your weight.

Ah this is all new to me :) thank you!

• Like 2

As stated above, you can't really target specific areas for fat loss. And while resistance training & focusing on nutrition density are two good strategies to use in your fat loss goals, I'd also recommend chatting with a physio (or a trainer with experience training folks with the same condition), because some of the main movements in weight lifting (eg. squats & deadlifts) also rely quite a bit on being able to properly brace your abdominal muscles & core. Checking in to ensure which variations are safe for you is a good idea to mange your long-term health and avoid injuries!

• Like 2

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Training your abs can help firm them up and give your stomach a bit of a tighter look, but as the others have mentioned, you cannot spot reduce fat. This is actually to your advantage, because you don't have to heavily train your abs to loose belly fat. General fitness will help you burn more calories, but I would say a majority of belly fat loss comes from outside the gym. As the saying goes "abs are made in the kitchen." Cleaning up your diet and making sure you are burning more calories than you are consuming will help you lose fat all over your body.

Cortisol (stress hormone) tends to encourage the body to hold weight around the belly, so reducing that can help improve fat loss, especially in the middle region. This includes making sure you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night, drinking plenty of water, avoiding processed sugars and heavily processed food (which tends to cause inflammation in the body, which causes unneeded stress on the body), and identifying and avoiding foods you are sensitive to. 

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

1 hour ago, Phoenixed said:

I have a question.

I have not been able to lose belly fat so if I start doing some crunches in my daily exercise routine, will it help? and if yes, then how many crunches should I do daily or weekly?

The main thing you need to do is lose weight. Belly fat is often the last to go. Crunches may help you build some ab muscle, but if you want visible abs, your bodyfat percentage will need to be low enough. If you google it , you can find some info on how low it needs to be. Bodyfat actually needs to be pretty low before you start seeing abs

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

22 hours ago, Phoenixed said:

I have a question.

I have not been able to lose belly fat so if I start doing some crunches in my daily exercise routine, will it help? and if yes, then how many crunches should I do daily or weekly?

ANY increase in exercise will "help" you lose weight but only IF you have firm control of your diet.

some people find crunches difficult and can't do many of them.  they might do another kind of exercise and do it longer and burn more calories.

if you think about it- this is pretty good news.  there's no such thing as an exercise that HAS to be done to burn stubborn fat;Any kind of exercise works!  whatever is funnest, and whatever you enjoy the most.

I think its a sad myth that so many people think exercise has to be Hard, uncomfortable and unenjoyable to lose weight and become fit.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

teach yourself how to eat for nutrition and not for pleasure.  Plenty of youtube videos on this subject.  After you get used to it you won't want to go back.  After months of no crap food I finally allowed myself to have a home cooked hamburger.  Yeah it was great but it will be more months before I have another one.  Its wise to treat yourself here and there I guess but making a habit of eating whole foods 95% of the time helps your body in many ways

On 2/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, Defining said:

I'm also just going to put this out there: you may NEVER get rid of the lower abdominal fat. It's notoriously difficult, and typically the last to go, even for folks whom are already very lean.

You aint kidding.  I went from 240 lbs last year down to 183 and I still have a little even though I do 1000 reps of ab work a day.  Not gonna give up till its gone .  I think I have to get down to 170 to do it.  Not easy at 58 years old

Thank you for posting about prune belly syndrome. I’m a nurse and I’m glad to have that information. I do agree with everyone posting about how spot reduction is not possible BUT I’d also like to add that after looking over prune belly syndrome it may be likely that there are some abdominal muscle absences that may be contributing to more of a pot belly appearance even if your overall fat body composition may be low? I’m thinking of like a diastasis recti situation that many women experience post-pregnancy. I know very little about prune belly but it may be useful to talk to a PT person who can give you targeted recommendations. I could recommend a bunch of core work but I worry about doing so without knowledge with your particular prune belly experience- from my short research it looks like there is a wide range of presentations. Anyways, thought I’d add because I do think that the prune belly aspect is very important! I feel like the pelvic girdle and abdominal knitting is often overlooked- particularly with women who have carried babies and it sounds like those who were born with prune belly syndrome too.

And yes, of course, losing weight will reduce your overall body fat, therefore, your abdomen BUT a healthy core is very important for body mechanics, reducing injury and also-  in the presence of muscle anomalies- will reduce the appearance of a little pot. On the subject of little pot- that always reminds me of Pulp Fiction, heheh. 

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

2 hours ago, Aθena said:

I will keep that in mind next time :)

The "Report Post" link in the upper right hand of the post in question can be clicked when you find spam. It sends an email to all the GLs and one of us usually comes charging in with the banhammer.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 minutes ago, christine29 said:

Crunches are the most effective exercise for burning stomach fat. When it comes to fat-burning exercises, crunches come in first place. Begin by lying flat on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the ground.

Effective Methods for Losing Belly Fat

1. Consume plenty of soluble fiber.
  2. Trans fats should be avoided in foods.
  3. Don't consume too much alcohol.
  4. Consume a high-protein diet.
  5. Lower your stress levels.
  6. Limit your intake of sugary foods.
  7. Reduce your carbohydrate intake.

You cannot target weight loss. Crunches only strengthen abs, they do not cause the loss of weight. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath