Top Secret NF 2020 Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I'd love for a tighter integration between the forums and the academy. If that was possible, what would you like to see?

Problem there is that most people here don't pay for the Academy, and could feel like second class citizens of a sort.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 2/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, nianjufe said:

Man looking back will be SO challenging in itself I mean I have what..... 2 whole challenges?!

Oh geez, I understand this.  Phew, looking back over my whole 9 is gonna be rough. 🤣

• Haha 2

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh my gods. Were those my first challenges? I actually remember them.

There are lots of old names in those threads. Some very cool nerds. Made me go back to find my first challenge. (#22) Names I haven't seen around the forums in a long time.

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

6 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Problem there is that most people here don't pay for the Academy, and could feel like second class citizens of a sort.

Yeah, that might be true. I guess most Academy members might hang out on Facebook in the members-only group there...

But still, if you could humor me, do you have any ideas or suggestions?

49 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, that might be true. I guess most Academy members might hang out on Facebook in the members-only group there...

That's only because they don't know how awesome this group is.  The FB group is pretty useful, but this group is amazing for me.  

• Like 2

daily dare   46 45 44  43 42 41  40 39 38 37 36 35  34 32  31 30  29  28 27  26  25 24 23 22 21 20 19  18  17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 #8 #7  #6  #5 #4 #3  #2 #1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, Tobbe said:

I'd love for a tighter integration between the forums and the academy. If that was possible, what would you like to see?

Hum.  Shared forums instead of separate?  When I was actively doing the academy lessons, I kinda dropped off here because there's only so much bandwidth and time.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Hum.  Shared forums instead of separate?  When I was actively doing the academy lessons, I kinda dropped off here because there's only so much bandwidth and time.  

Ehh, what? There are other forums as well?

(Or is that perhaps something that has since been replaced by the Facebook groups?)

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 5:20 AM, Tobbe said:

Oh man, I hadn't put a foot in the academy in forever!

Linking the character sheet (I believe those are free?) on the forum profile?

Other than that, I'd mainly see more links in the Academy linking to the forum (guilds, mainly, for quests accountability, which would make us share our quests more and let other people try them even without paying the registration fee (which could then be a bad thing for NF's business model though I doubt the Academy, with its one time fee - enjoy forever policy is what allows the NF team to go on)).

• Like 3

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

5 minutes ago, Jean said:

Other than that, I'd mainly see more links in the Academy linking to the forum (guilds, mainly, for quests accountability, which would make us share our quests more and let other people try them even without paying the registration fee (which could then be a bad thing for NF's business model though I doubt the Academy, with its one time fee - enjoy forever policy is what allows the NF team to go on)).

That would be cool if the character sheets linked to the forum. I like the character sheets, but don't really use it since being it's own thing, I usually just forget all about it.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

That would be cool if the character sheets linked to the forum. I like the character sheets, but don't really use it since being it's own thing, I usually just forget all about it.

I think they use two different sets of software.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

(Or is that perhaps something that has since been replaced by the Facebook groups?)

Probably.  You can tell how active I've been lately ......

• Haha 2

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think they use two different sets of software.

Can't the computer programmers or somebody just wave their magic wands and make it happen?😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Can't the computer programmers or somebody just wave their magic wands and make it happen?😃

BXsCVktCMAAndVf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Jean said:

Me too. That's one reason connecting it to the forum more somehow might be a good idea, for me at least :) 

11 hours ago, Jean said:

On here? Where/how more exactly did you have in mind? Putting a link in "About Jean" or "Class" in the left meny is the easier option. Or did you have something more elaborate in mind?

screencapture-rebellion-nerdfitness-index-php-2020-02-09-14_35_32.thumb.png.0802a615727abaf256c8c45967a3a3f5.png

11 hours ago, Jean said:

Creating quests for others to try to complete sounds awesome! Kind of a little similar to our PvP challenges?

Connecting our Academy character quests to our forum Five Week Challenges would also be really cool, but, even putting aside all the technical challenges, I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be. Any ideas?

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Are you talking about the same thing Jean is talking about, or did you mean the other way around? If so, where on the forum should it link to? Your daily battle log? Your current challenge? Your forum profile page? Something else?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tobbe said:

re you talking about the same thing Jean is talking about, or did you mean the other way around? If so, where on the forum should it link to? Your daily battle log? Your current challenge? Your forum profile page? Something else?

Yes the same one. So, are you saying that you think you could put  a link to that in our about me setting? That would be amazing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yes the same one. So, are you saying that you think you could put  a link to that in our about me setting? That would be amazing.

Yeah, shouldn't be too hard. I'll do it like I did for the reputation points

The biggest problem is that I have no way of knowing if a member here on the forum is also a member of the Academy. And even if I did, I still have no way of knowing the url to their Academy profile, it's just a random character number.

Someone who worked for NF could probably run a match on academy member emails and forum member emails, but even so, what's to say you used the same email to sign up for the forums and the academy?

So the only way to make it work is probably an opt-in kind of thing where I ask anyone who installs my userscript to provide their Academy character URL. 

Asking for input like that in a userscript, and storing it somewhere, is nothing I've ever done before. So it'd be a fun learning experience, and I'd love to do it :)  I'd just like to know that more than like three of us would actually use it :) And to make more people want to use it, I want to provide more features from the get go. Hence my ask for ideas :) 

• Like 3