Some things never change. Hopefully others do.

Mike Wazowski

What's up y'all! Mike Wazowski here, friendly(ish) warrior guild leader who's been on NF for a smidge over three years now (how the time flies). In a nutshell, I'm a data and business strategy nerd for my day job and perpetually think I'm not quite good enough despite ample evidence that I have plenty of the technical skills employers want (including changing jobs for a nice pay increase a year ago and mostly positive reviews, and any development opportunities were *not* related to my technical abilities, but more to the paralysis that can creep in with my self doubt). In the fitness realm of things, first and foremost, I'm a competitive ballroom and latin dancer and coach - I LOVE pushing myself in the studio to be the best version of myself and I LOVE teaching my students just as much! They're a handful at times (though actually sometimes it's coordinating with my co-teachers that's more draining) but I generally walk away from teaching full of life. Outside the dance studio, I initially convinced myself I really needed to train like a hardcore powerlifter or bodybuilder while rigorously tracking macros, and that strategy yielded middling success - I got stronger and a bit leaner, but it definitely did not lead to a healthy relationship to my food or my training and my priorities at times got very out of whack (pushing myself SUPER hard in the gym only to have nothing left in the tank when I got to the studio later the same day). I've varied the intensity over the years, dealt with one wrist injury that started my exit from lifting, said "F*** it" to counting macros a few times only to come back to it, and dabbled with various other sports conditioning and training approaches, including some gymnastics rings and parallettes stuff. While I don't really lift at all anymore (I might dabble in Oly again at some point because it was really fun), I do really enjoy strength training, especially the feeling of pushing myself to exceed my limits just a little bit and push those boundaries just a little bit farther.

At least right now, here's where I see my path forward in life stuff (fitness is just a part of life for me):

• Number one priority is to maintain my physical, mental, and spiritual health so I can keep doing the things I love to do and showing up for the people who matter to me (basic life maintenance like ensuring I have clean clothes to wear falls into this category as well)
  • Number two is to do adequate work and manage my financial health so I can do the other stuff (and ideally, set myself up for working for money to be optional relatively early in my life)
  • Number three is to keep pushing myself to my limits as an athlete and as a teacher - I truly want to keep growing and seeing how much more knowledgeable and able to execute I can become (and how many tools I can have at my disposal to help different students learn and believe in themselves)
  • Number four is to invest in my personal relationships and my various other hobbies that make my life feel rich and full

In terms of where health and fitness fits in, I've got a couple things:

• I need to become a bit leaner for optimal competing in dance (for better or worse, it's a sport-art where your body is judged because it's your art medium) - but I absolutely DO NOT want to and WILL NOT track calories or macros for it; I've tried it in the past and it seemed a surefire path to whacko binge eating, food guilt, and all sorts of other things that don't support my long-term goals. I'll focus instead on making sure that I eat solid meals (protein, veggies, some form of starch and/or bean) at the right times (i.e. eating the meal food first before eating snack food to quickly quell a hunger); I will NOT be weighing myself on the scale and instead will focus on the changes I'm able to see in the mirror with body composition, plus how I'm feeling clothes fit. I'm also planning to give up sweets and processed treats (like chips) for Lent this year, as a way of forcing a temporary hard reset on my relationship with these foods.
  • I am loving the body awareness and coordinated strength I'm getting from my dabbling in bodyweight strength the past week - I want to keep it up as long as I'm still seeing it be beneficial, sprinkling in bonus core work (my core is currently pretty weak, and dancers definitely benefit from a strong core) plus working on mobility - both for injury prevention and to improve the lines I can make with my legs and feet - especially the feet! For right now, the focus will mainly be on injury prevention plus getting back into the habit of strength training. And I'll keep reevaluating what's most important to add as I go along.

I'm still challenging with the warriors (at least for this challenge) because this was my OG NF home, but TBH, I'm probably more of an Assassin at this point since there's no barbell in the foreseeable future for me (and I'm totally ok with that) - maybe some weighted dips and pull-ups, but there's plenty of other stuff I can do to challenge myself on the bodyweight front, too.

I had noble intentions to do some in-depth reflection on my challenges and patterns that have emerged. But in a nutshell, I generally try to put too many things onto my challenge plate at once, they're not manageable, and I abandon somewhere between 50-100% of my goals (or have to reset the goal line) by the end of the 4-5 week long challenge.

So this time, I'm going to learn ONE THING from my history and ONLY FOCUS ON FOUR THINGS FOR REAL:

1. Make 7+ hours for sleep every night - wake up a bit later or jettison some tasks from my nighttime routine as needed to make that happen (I *will* wash my face and floss / brush every nigh - this is more like washing dishes and other stuff that I like to do every night but could survive without)
  2. No sweets or processed treats (excluding preplanned greek yogurt parfaits, protein shakes / smoothies, or muffins - I'm not *really* depriving myself, this is just about not going HAM on girl scout cookies or eating a bag of plantain chips in place of dinner)
  3. Pray, meditate, or reflect every day; possible topics include - what unique talents I have, what I'm grateful for, and what I need in my life right now. I feel calmer and more settled when this is a part of my life, but it's easy to let it fall by the wayside.
  4. Work in a focused manner - I'm experimenting with the pomodoro method (25 minutes on, 5 off) as a way to get myself to buckle down and focus; I'll track the number of blocks I do each day and see if I can set a high score for myself.

I'll obviously be training dance in the background and still training and telling y'all how it's going. But the above are the focus goals for the challenge.

I've also got some life stuff I'll be reporting on, because to-do lists are fun for my type A brain:

• Get a haircut before a dance comp this weekend
  • Fix my dance shirt before the comp this weekend (it's a little too small in the butt / crotch and doesn't stay buttoned, time to add a bit more fabric so the crotch snaps are able to stay shut)
  • Pack for competition this weekend (plus guest dance coaching this weekend)
  • Organize a belated birthday shindig for myself (TBD what / where, but do something with my friends)
  • Get an allergy shot (towards the end of the challenge)
  • Renew insurance (in March)
  • Get car serviced (in March)
  • Do taxes (in March)

Ok, that's a big ole string of word vomit - hope y'all were able to hang in there to the end.

• Like 4

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The only constant is change.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Welcome aboard y'all!! More detailed self-reflection coming soon, but here's my digital equivalent of scribbling on a cocktail napkin with some goals.

- Above all else, make time for 7+ hours for sleep, every night

- Get back into a NIGHTLY habit of flossing and taking care of my skin (and stretching to wind down)

- Pick out a nice outfit Mon - Fri for work (I work at a casual-ish office, but I sometimes dress a bit schlubbier than I really want to just out of convenience)

- Write something validating about myself at some regular cadence (probably in a private journal, not here)

- Get back to eating like an athlete, day in and day out (especially with see-through spandex events coming very soon in the form of dance competitions)

I would love to pack in some work focus, workout and dance related goals in there, but that's enough, for now at least.

Alright, back to the grind at work.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Get back into a NIGHTLY habit of flossing

Best thing I ever did. It's a life changer :saturn:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

- Pick out a nice outfit Mon - Fri for work (I work at a casual-ish office, but I sometimes dress a bit schlubbier than I really want to just out of convenience)

You can wear the universal engineer uniform, a polo shirt and khakis. I bought 5 in different colors, work week set! 

• Haha 3

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

You can wear the universal engineer uniform, a polo shirt and khakis. 

@Sam Ashen, can you confirm?

• Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

@Sam Ashen, can you confirm?

I'm wearing jeans and a sweater right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

6 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

I'm wearing jeans and a sweater right now.

Shorts everyday here!

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

19 hours ago, starsapart said:

Here for this!

Yay!!! Welcome aboard the crazy train!

18 hours ago, RedStone said:

:D I was in the habit for SO LONG and then slowly let it fall by the wayside. Silly past Mike decision, but now it's time to reverse course!

17 hours ago, h3r0 said:

You can wear the universal engineer uniform, a polo shirt and khakis. I bought 5 in different colors, work week set! 

Haha. While I *could*, I actually like taking the time to dress myself and pick out fun combinations of outfits (especially playing around with different shoes and sweaters / other top layers). I just don't often give myself quiiiite enough time to do that in the morning, so it ends up turning into "just throw on clothes" instead of me finding joy in the process.

Also, still a busy work week, but I'll probably finalize goals / write my little nerdflection over the weekend sometime.

For now, here's the week's schedule (chronological order): 

• T: Pilates, Work, Teach Kids, Teach College Kids
  • W: Feet, Work, Teach Kids, Practice w/ Partner
  • R: Pilates, Work, (Maybe solo practice, working late, or reviewing some professional development stuff), Teach College Kids
  • F: Glutes, Work, Solo Practice, "Date Night" w/ Myself (activities TBD, but whatever I wanna do)
  • Sa: Upper body / abs sesh, unscheduled rest of the morning, Practice w/ Partner, go to friend's housewarming party
  • Su: Practice w/ Partner, Take Dance Classes, Teach 1 couple, make an appearance at a party thrown by my college kids, call my parents

Next Monday's a national holiday, which takes meal prep and laundry pressure off of Sunday night (thankfully).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Haha. While I *could*, I actually like taking the time to dress myself and pick out fun combinations of outfits (especially playing around with different shoes and sweaters / other top layers). I just don't often give myself quiiiite enough time to do that in the morning, so it ends up turning into "just throw on clothes" instead of me finding joy in the process.

Could you make it a part of your bed time ritual? That way you could take your time creating the outfit, and if you set it out you can save yourself time and hassle in the morning as well.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 2/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, RedStone said:

SAME

On 2/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, h3r0 said:

You can wear the universal MALE engineer uniform, a polo shirt and khakis. I bought 5 in different colors, work week set! 

^^^ I fixed that for you

• Haha 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

3 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

^^^ I fixed that for you

Actually I work with several female engineers and they all wear the same thing. It's a different style of polo but basically the same thing. It's a chemical plant and not the cleanest environment so maybe that drives the choice of clothing. 

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Actually I work with several female engineers and they all wear the same thing. It's a different style of polo but basically the same thing. It's a chemical plant and not the cleanest environment so maybe that drives the choice of clothing. 

Yea I would argue that's probably more representative of your work environment. As a female engineer I don't own a single pair of khakis. And that particular uniform is common among my male colleagues, but uncommon among the females here, and at any previous jobs I've worked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

^^^ I fixed that for you

I'm annoyed that I glossed right over that. Filing that away in the "be a better ally" lessons learned.

Quickie update:

• Ate a lot of GS cookies yesterday - not exactly eating like an athlete, but that's ok, it's ZERO WEEK so the rules don't apply and nothing counts
  • Did the JDanger "Do your damn abs" level 1 this morning and my abs were quivering on hollow body holds - I knew they had detrained some, but I had no idea how much - will definitely be making those a workout focus this coming month (bonus: strong abs look better in see-through mesh shirts, which are a fixture of my dance competition outfits atm)
  • Still getting sufficient (or nearly sufficient) sleep and really liking it
  • Also, the sinus infection feels like it's breaking up - waking up feeling less and less congested each day
  • Over the weekend, guy I was seeing abruptly cancelled on a date ~30 minutes before we were supposed to meet and called things off over text - I was oddly *not* devastated, which I think is partially due to some emotional maturing and partially indicative that I was reaching low excitement about dating, period. After chatting with my therapist about it, I'm putting a pause on my dating life, since it's one of the things I'm less excited about right now, and letting the energy I was putting there flow into other projects (TBD what those are).
  • Really, really, REALLY enjoying pushing myself as a teacher and dancer - I left the studio last night on an energetic high from just enjoying being there and helping my college kiddos develop. Really feels like I'm continuing to find my voice as a teacher and level up what I'm about and what I'm capable of.
  • Tentative plan for "date night with myself" is to make an outing to the local games shop for a Magic: The Gathering event (just a Friday night limited thing); I haven't played in years, but I do enjoy it as a strategy game and I think it'll be fun to dabble in it
  • Like 3

argt.gif.fd9bd1899d27459ec3c79b5b945c0bb5.gif

Here for dance magic :wub:

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 ]

[ Current: The Last Homely House ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'm annoyed that I glossed right over that. Filing that away in the "be a better ally" lessons learned.

Hi, have I mentioned lately that I appreciate you? ❤️

Did the JDanger "Do your damn abs" level 1 this morning and my abs were quivering on hollow body holds - I knew they had detrained some, but I had no idea how much - will definitely be making those a workout focus this coming month (bonus: strong abs look better in see-through mesh shirts, which are a fixture of my dance competition outfits atm)

Are these videos somewhere? I'm interested...

Over the weekend, guy I was seeing abruptly cancelled on a date ~30 minutes before we were supposed to meet and called things off over text - I was oddly *not* devastated, which I think is partially due to some emotional maturing and partially indicative that I was reaching low excitement about dating, period. After chatting with my therapist about it, I'm putting a pause on my dating life, since it's one of the things I'm less excited about right now, and letting the energy I was putting there flow into other projects (TBD what those are).

👏 👏 👏 👏

Great attitude! I love it.

Tentative plan for "date night with myself" is to make an outing to the local games shop for a Magic: The Gathering event (just a Friday night limited thing); I haven't played in years, but I do enjoy it as a strategy game and I think it'll be fun to dabble in it

I miss playing this! I was sooooooooo into it in early high school.

• Thanks 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

1 hour ago, oromendur said:

argt.gif.fd9bd1899d27459ec3c79b5b945c0bb5.gif

Here for dance magic :wub:

YESSSS WELCOME ABOARD!

1 hour ago, starsapart said:

Hi, have I mentioned lately that I appreciate you? ❤️

❤️ you probably have, but I don't mind hearing it again! ❤️

Are these videos somewhere? I'm interested...

Actually, it's a NF post (buried in one of the lesser-used lifting forums - @miss_marissa reminded me that it existed by posting it in someone else's thread!

Link (it's spread across a couple posts at the start of the thread - I'd expect that an accomplished aerialist like you would probably be more advanced than I am - apparently I'm squeaking by with weak abs right now in dance):

👏 👏 👏 👏

Great attitude! I love it.

THANK YOU!!! I'm still probably going to fall down the rabbit hole at least once and need to remind myself, but it feels like a definitely positive step for right now for me. Just focus on all the awesome things I'm enjoying in life, don't worry about trying to find a soulmate (or even a just good enough to date for right now person, which I think was my not-high-enough bar recently).

I miss playing this! I was sooooooooo into it in early high school.

Ah nice!! I really liked it in my brief exposure in middle school, then was too obsessed with being "cool" in high school and college to play, but re-discovered it post-graduation and really dig it. Had to put it down when I started a long-distance dance partnership and still don't have time to play a ton currently, but I'll make time when I can.

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Really, really, REALLY enjoying pushing myself as a teacher and dancer - I left the studio last night on an energetic high from just enjoying being there and helping my college kiddos develop. Really feels like I'm continuing to find my voice as a teacher and level up what I'm about and what I'm capable of.

That’s lovely and awesome!

also MTG sounds like an excellent thing to do on a solo date night :) Drafts are the best. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

6 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

That’s lovely and awesome!

Indeed - the only un-awesome part is that I left at 11 pm, so today has been a highly unproductive day at the office (in part because of a Doctor's appointment checkup - I actually had a really lovely chat with my doctor about her journey in her career and I'm having a lovely day, just tired and low energy through it).

6 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

also MTG sounds like an excellent thing to do on a solo date night :) Drafts are the best. 

:D indeed!! This'll actually be a sealed deck event, which is probably good for my first foray back since I have ZERO idea what the current set mechanics are and I've kinda forgotten what the different viable archetypes are for limited decks. I'm expecting to get shellacked, laugh about it, and have a good time nerding out with peeps (I used to go to this game store years ago and know the owner is REALLY good at building a solid community).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

(I used to go to this game store years ago and know the owner is REALLY good at building a solid community).

That sounds great! The current set has only been out for a week or two.. and the good thing about limited is that you just go with 16/17 lands, 13/16 creatures and 6/10 spells. Synergy be damned. Never play more than 40 cards and you'll be fine :P 

• Haha 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

8 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

• Over the weekend, guy I was seeing abruptly cancelled on a date ~30 minutes before we were supposed to meet and called things off over text - I was oddly *not* devastated, which I think is partially due to some emotional maturing and partially indicative that I was reaching low excitement about dating, period. After chatting with my therapist about it, I'm putting a pause on my dating life, since it's one of the things I'm less excited about right now, and letting the energy I was putting there flow into other projects (TBD what those are).
  • Really, really, REALLY enjoying pushing myself as a teacher and dancer - I left the studio last night on an energetic high from just enjoying being there and helping my college kiddos develop. Really feels like I'm continuing to find my voice as a teacher and level up what I'm about and what I'm capable of.

Both of these things sound good in different ways. It's good to know what you want. And it's great that dancing/teaching is going so well. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.