Fake it Til you Make it

miss_marissa

Welp! For the 10th anniversary challenge I figured I’d take a look back at the past 5 years of my time here at NF.

My first challenge (#1 in siggy)was January 2015. I had my first powerlifting competition towards the end of the challenge. I was roughly 136 lb after the holidays “I went off the rails” (lol I’m a full 20 lb heavier than that now) and had a weight goal of 132. After that first meet my PRs were 175 sq/  85 BP / 190 DL (lbs). I had been doing the fitness thing for about 10 months at that point. I was working my old job in a city where I didn’t have too many friends and had just finished grad school, so I was pretty much just going to work and going to the gym. ¯\_()_/¯

Come December 2015, I started my new/current job! Which involved moving to a new city and everything else that comes along with a new job, new apartment, new gym, etc. My first challenge of 2016 (#7 in siggy) was focused on getting used to that newness and figuring out what my new life looked like - getting back into a gym and meal prep + food tracking habit. This is also the first challenge where I did daily selfies (which if I have not preached the benefits to you yet, you should!). This year was when I started to figure out that I had some disordered eating habits. I did a push/pull competition in June where I cut to make weight and was miserable the whole time. And I had already been tracking macros pretty consistently for ~2 years prior (so I really didn’t have much wiggle room to cut, as I was pretty lean and light to begin with). Body dysmorphia is a hell of a thing.

Really enjoying my job, my new city, and making friends. I tore my left hip flexor in late March of this year and didn’t do a whole ton to rehab it - basically kept lifting heavy the whole time, as long as I didn’t feel pain. The latter half of the year I started training with a new coach online, where I learned how to train a bit more intuitively with my body made a lot of progress. I also started adult gymnastics! 

January of 2017 (#18 in siggy) I did another powerlifting competition, and my last I’ve done. The online coach training helped me hit my best PL numbers ever 97.5/47.5/112.5 kg in competition. However, in February the hip injury reared its head and the lingering muscle imbalances started causing pain, preventing me from doing most lifting and gymnastics activities. I started physical therapy which helped a lot. Because I couldn’t do any lifting or gymnastics, I left my (toxic) gym and started couch to 5k in the summer, as something to do & got to the point where I was running about 2 miles nonstop. With that training I completed a GOruck light challenge in September. After that I was pain free enough to be able to start lifting a little again (talking… high box squats with 65 lbs) at a new gym.

Continued getting more into mindfulness/body positivity/inutitive eating/whatever you want to call it. Not tracking food, but eating in a way to support my health and my goals and my lifestyle. Did my first and only Whole 30 in February. Started working on a new project at work and got really into it, so then anything nutrition wise fell off my radar.

2018 (#25 in siggy) I was trying to lift heavy again without pain. The PT and programming helped get me to a point where I was comfortable enough with this to start crossfit in May. My lifting and gymnastics prepped me well for this. The new work project stress was also a good push into crossfit (see my rant in the last challenge for more details). I started playing softball in the summer for the first time since middle school. From crossfit, I started olympic lifting and did a competition in October, didn’t love it, but it was fine. Most importantly I stayed injury free all year! This year was a lot of work work work work and not much else - you can tell by only having 4 challenges that year.

2019 I started a new position at the same job. (#29 in siggy) In February ish I sprained my right wrist Olympic lifting. It took until well into the summer to heal + complete occupational therapy. For most of 2019 I focused on a lot of mobility, mindfulness and nourishing movement. Mr. J and I also bought a house in July! The combination of the new position at work, new house, and sprained wrist meant that for 2019 any fitness goals took a BIG backseat. 

Now: I probably won’t have a weight goal tied to a challenge ever again. My nutrition is more focused on what nourishes me and reduces stress of cooking or planning. I’ve tried 3+ different “lifting gyms” in town - including crossfit, and now I just signed at a 4th that I enjoy so far. 

My goals are being more functional and capable, while keeping myself injury free. I’m learning to enjoy more of my friendships, my relationship, my home and old and new hobbies. Working all of this around a job that I like (most of the time lol) instead of throwing every ounce of energy I have into the gym and making myself leaner, because I’m not getting fulfillment from what I did for a living (FUNNY how that works!)

I’m not sure that challenges are really the right format for me anymore, but I like hanging around with y’all so I think I’ll stay. 

My general life goals still fall into the same categories as last year, but the specifics might be little different:

• Health - sleeping well, flossing, reasonable alcohol consumption, eating nutritious food in proper amounts when I'm hungry, lifting a heavy thing every once in a while, be flexible and mobile enough to function as the athlete I've tricked myself into thinking I am
  • Environment - eliminate clutter, stop buying more clutter, keep the house awesome, get outside 
  • Relationships - stay in touch, show love
  • Mindfulness - read more books, use less social media, be more present, practice gratitude, "this too shall pass", "dress for the job you want"
  • Work & Volunteering - Be on time, be present, ask for help when I need it

GOAL #1: SELFIE CHALLENGE

I'm no longer active on instagram, so I've been taking less selfies lately and in general not being as diligent about putting myself together for work. However, I have been and will likely continue to have more facetime with upper management types and should be dressing a little more representative of that on days I'm in the office. The first time I did this was honestly incredible for my self confidence, and I cannot recommend it enough.:) It's also a great way to show off my capsule wardrobe to y'all.

Selfies posted on work days when I'm not at the test site. Metric: # of selfies posted here / # eligible days

GOAL#2: MOBILITY/FLEXIBILITY

Do some of that stuff outside of the normal gym times. I will come up with a short routine to complete on those mornings. 

Metric: # of days this is done / # eligible days

GOAL#3: KEEP READING MORE BOOKS

Less TV, less social media, more books. This also has the side benefit of reducing the clutter. 

Metric: none, just do it

• Like 9

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Oh yeah - hellz no, me either! 

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I found proof:

xIaFG4Z.jpg

Either me or KW is in this picture. I'm pretty sure that's him, my V isn't that awesome.

This is also the weekend that I convinced Marissa to become a guild leader!

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 1/31/2020 at 6:42 PM, miss_marissa said:

I’m not sure that challenges are really the right format for me anymore, but I like hanging around with y’all so I think I’ll stay. 

Interesting... may I ask why not? I find the challenges can be tweaked into all sorts of things, so I'm curious about what format would work better for you, and why

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

11 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Was your moonshine involved? Because that concoction can help convince people to do the silliest of things.  

I need to make a batch of that soon.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 1/31/2020 at 6:42 PM, miss_marissa said:

This is also the first challenge where I did daily selfies (which if I have not preached the benefits to you yet, you should!).

I keep meaning to do this... if only I wasn't a yoga pantsing hot mess 90% of the time 😂

Here to support!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

On 1/31/2020 at 7:42 PM, miss_marissa said:

I'm no longer active on instagram, so I've been taking less selfies lately and in general not being as diligent about putting myself together for work. However, I have been and will likely continue to have more facetime with upper management types and should be dressing a little more representative of that on days I'm in the office. The first time I did this was honestly incredible for my self confidence, and I cannot recommend it enough.:) It's also a great way to show off my capsule wardrobe to y'all.

Selfies posted on work days when I'm not at the test site. Metric: # of selfies posted here / # eligible days

Holy mind twins!!! I've been thinking about dressing up a bit more for my office job recently too (thinking maybe it'll help me stay in a work mindset / it'll let me show off the nice work wardrobe I've accumulated over the years).

Obvi hear to cheer you on vociferously!

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

On 2/7/2020 at 7:26 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I found proof:

xIaFG4Z.jpg

this photo!!!! ❤️ 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

This is also the weekend that I convinced Marissa to become a guild leader!

That was awesome! I remember sitting out on the porch of my groups cabin one night having so much fun! I know @Rurik Harrgath  @Big_Show @Amdhiel wovercast (can't tag for some reason) and I think @Tanktimus the Encourager you were there too.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, bigm141414 said:

Was your moonshine involved? Because that concoction can help convince people to do the silliest of things.  

This is a story that needs to be told

On 2/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Interesting... may I ask why not? I find the challenges can be tweaked into all sorts of things, so I'm curious about what format would work better for you, and why

In general I am finding my goals to be more abstract and less quantifiable or SMART. Also, finding that a lot of the things I do have goals around are things I feel less comfortable talking about on a public forum.

23 hours ago, starsapart said:

I keep meaning to do this... if only I wasn't a yoga pantsing hot mess 90% of the time 😂

Here to support!

❤️ Do it anyways! It helps to be less of a yoga pantsing mess :) 

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Holy mind twins!!! I've been thinking about dressing up a bit more for my office job recently too (thinking maybe it'll help me stay in a work mindset / it'll let me show off the nice work wardrobe I've accumulated over the years).

Obvi hear to cheer you on vociferously!

woo hoo!!! I need to accumulate a nice work wardrobe and I'm hoping this will help.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

5 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

That was awesome! I remember sitting out on the porch of my groups cabin one night having so much fun! I know @Rurik Harrgath  @Big_Show @Amdhiel wovercast (can't tag for some reason) and I think @Tanktimus the Encourager you were there too.

It was the balcony of the great hall if I was there, by the time people went to cabins I was generally in bed. Me and the people you tagged were hanging out on the balcony for a while the night of the glow party, which was when that picture was taken.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

❤️ Do it anyways! It helps to be less of a yoga pantsing mess :) 

Except I work from home and my child's hands are perpetually sticky and grabbing at everything I wear, so it just feels like too much work to put on real pants that are going to be covered in yogurt by the end of the day... 😂

But you've reminded me how much I miss @Amdhiel

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

17 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

You were feeling good that night!

17 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

This is a story that needs to be told

Two wizards and an Ent made a long journey southward in their magical craft to a fantastical valley full of many varied peoples gathered in great celebration and scholarship. With them they brought a case of potion homebrewed by one of the wizards, and hid it away within the dark corners of their abode. One characteristic of this concoction was that it was 25-35% alcohol, though it tasted not of this substance, only the sweet taste of apples with backgrounds of cinnamon. These three shared their contraband with others of their fellowship on many nights, both before and after the evening revels, to great results. With social inhibitions greatly blunted and heads swimming, many laughs and stories were had, and friendships forged and hardened among foolish feats.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It was the balcony of the great hall if I was there, by the time people went to cabins I was generally in bed. Me and the people you tagged were hanging out on the balcony for a while the night of the glow party, which was when that picture was taken.

It was definitely back at one of the cabins. I remember Rurik and Marissa leading me back through the woods up these trails and wondering where the hell we were going. I had never had any reason to go to any of the cabins other than the Wizard bunks by anything but the main roads and they were cutting through all kinds of places.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

500 / 330 / 625

32 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

It was definitely back at one of the cabins. I remember Rurik and Marissa leading me back through the woods up these trails and wondering where the hell we were going. I had never had any reason to go to any of the cabins other than the Wizard bunks by anything but the main roads and they were cutting through all kinds of places.

That story could have ended very differently.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

It was definitely back at one of the cabins. I remember Rurik and Marissa leading me back through the woods up these trails and wondering where the here we were going. I had never had any reason to go to any of the cabins other than the Wizard bunks by anything but the main roads and they were cutting through all kinds of places.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That story could have ended very differently.

In our defense, it was a real trail and staircase that would have been less creepy in the day time.

2 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

You were feeling good that night!

😳

Now that I think about this, it was probably dress up night. Because I think I had that empty alcohol bottle as part of my Jessica Jones costume that I kept filling up with water and drinking from lol

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

9 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

😳

Now that I think about this, it was probably dress up night. Because I think I had that empty alcohol bottle as part of my Jessica Jones costume that I kept filling up with water and drinking from lol

"water"

Now that you mention it, it was definitely dress up night. I remember you being in costume, and me carrying that motorized Gatling gun arm that I made because my arm was soaked with sweat from wearing it.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

On 2/7/2020 at 5:26 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I found proof:

xIaFG4Z.jpg

92efaf38611c92ee68d1b99c7bab150a.gif

• Haha 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

15 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

"water"

Now that you mention it, it was definitely dress up night. I remember you being in costume, and me carrying that motorized Gatling gun arm that I made because my arm was soaked with sweat from wearing it.

Not saying other drinks weren't also involved  😛

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

On 1/31/2020 at 7:42 PM, miss_marissa said:

Now: I probably won’t have a weight goal tied to a challenge ever again. My nutrition is more focused on what nourishes me and reduces stress of cooking or planning. I’ve tried 3+ different “lifting gyms” in town - including crossfit, and now I just signed at a 4th that I enjoy so far.

I like these goals.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, miss_marissa said:

3183207dc89035c7aa3bd266962fef8c.jpg

9dd56ccc1c454af1fdfd659dc0bdc7a6.jpg

Just look at all those happy kids!  Legit the most magical week of my life.

11 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The nerdstalgia is enough to make a grown man cry... what a night!

8 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Not saying other drinks weren't also involved  

I found photographic proof of this in particular, but I'm not sharing the link.  😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

[Level ??] Barbarian Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Why are there two Jayne!?!??

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

On 2/1/2020 at 2:42 AM, miss_marissa said:

I'm no longer active on instagram, so I've been taking less selfies lately and in general not being as diligent about putting myself together for work. However, I have been and will likely continue to have more facetime with upper management types and should be dressing a little more representative of that on days I'm in the office. The first time I did this was honestly incredible for my self confidence, and I cannot recommend it enough.:)

That's very intriguing! I can't really imagine how it would help self confidence, but I'll be here to find out more. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl is a cargo bike mom

my instagram - my gym's instagram

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's very intriguing! I can't really imagine how it would help self confidence, but I'll be here to find out more. 

Not sure about @miss_marissa's logic, but I know that there's a psychological trick we play on ourselves where things that we see often become more "attractive" to us, so if you're taking frequent photos of yourself and seeing those, you actually become more positive about your own appearance! One of the reasons people think they look terrible in photos is they only see themselves in mirrors. Since our faces aren't symmetrical, photos seem jarring because everything is just a little "off" to what you expect to see...

• Like 4

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

12 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Just look at all those happy kids!  Legit the most magical week of my life.

😛

What sweet pictures! 

2 minutes ago, starsapart said:

I know that there's a psychological trick we play on ourselves where things that we see often become more "attractive" to us, so if you're taking frequent photos of yourself and seeing those, you actually become more positive about your own appearance! 

Are you serious? If that's true, that would be awesome.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Are you serious? If that's true, that would be awesome.

You can do some googling about the familiarity principle of attraction! Human brains are FASCINATING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads