Ten Years Gone: Tanktimus Rangers the Forum Challenge 10th anniversary

(The song has 10 years in the title and it's my favorite band).

Hard to believe it's been ten years gone since the first challenge. I haven't been here the whole time, but I've been here for more than half. I joined NF in August 2012 after simply googling the phrase "Nerd Fitness." I was looking for a way to get fit, hoping to join the Army National Guard as a Chaplain. That didn't happen, and I'm ok with that, but I did find NF and joined the forums. I archive binged Steve's articles up to that point and started commenting on threads in the forums. A new challenge had recently started, and I wanted to get in at the beginning of a new one, so I started a battle log (that now I can't find). It felt like forever till that new challenge came around (This was the days of the 6 week challenges), but I joined the adventurers in the challenge (Links to all my challenges in signature) that started September of that year. At that time the Adventurers were the newbie guild. I did two challenges with the adventurers till my back got sore and I did a challenge with the druids in the beginning of 2013 that I dropped out of because I wasn't being consistent. After that, I left the job I had at the time and dropped off the forums because I had been accessing NF from work. I didn't really get online at home back then. 

Around 2015 I realized my now ex and I were headed for divorce, so I came back to the forums. I thought I got back on some time in March, but judging by when my temp battle log started, it was actually late June that year. I spent a lot of time welcoming newcomers in the Rebel Introduction Section. My first challenge back, and the first with the Rangers, was in July of 2015. During that challenge I made this post where I talked about getting a divorce. I had a lot of support. I also mentioned buying some Scotch and Cognac in that challenge, I still haven't finished them yet. Sometime in late 2015 I became an ambassador for the Rangers. I also started doing battle speeches in the Ranger General chat threads. 2016 was a building year, and the year I met my now wife. I got to go to Camp NF and meet several people from the forums. Not long after I became a Guild Leader for the Rangers. In 2017 I got married, and some people from NF came to the wedding! In late 2018 I became the Guild Leader Admin/Forum Commmander. In 2019 we bought a house had a baby. 

Now here we are at the 10th anniversary of the forums. In some ways 2020 is a respawn year for me. With the house and the baby last year my fitness consistency got away from me. I'm heavier than I've ever been as well. However, the first challenge of the year was all about consistency, and I set myself up to win by making the challenge very winnable. All I had to do was start a Kettlebell Session to get full credit. A single forward fold and single dip into frog pose were all I needed for yoga credit. Walking out of the house with the baby strapped on was all I needed for credit for baby rucking. I'm going to build on that success in this challenge.

Here are my goals for the current challenge:

Strength and Conditioning:  I will do the Nerd Fitness Beginner Kettle Bell workout. Whereas last challenge I needed to start to get credit, this challenge I need to complete the first round and start the second round (1 rep is enough) to get credit. If I finish the second round, I'll stop there. I'm using a 15 pound bell, because with Kettlebells, it's not how heavy they are, it's how often you swing them. The goal is 13 KB sessions as described.

Flexibility: Yoga time. In the last challenge all I had to do was a forward fold and frog pose for credit. This challenge I have to START (not necessarily finish) a yoga video for credit. NF Yoga Water A is preferred, but not mandatory.  The goal is 8 sessions.

Distance: Baby Rucking. We have a baby carrier I can use to strap the baby on and go for a walk. Last challenge I just had to get out the door. This challenge I just have to get to the mail center around the corner. The goal is 4 sessions, but if weather is inclement Yoga can be subbed. I don't mind going for a walk in bad weather, but I don't want the baby to get sick (First time parent syndrome).

Nutrition: The main focus on nutrition is going to come in a few challenges once I have fitness consistency locked down. For now I have the untracked goal of continuing to cook regularly and minimize restaurant trips while continuing with Intuitive Eating.

Let's Ranger this challenge!

• Like 36

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

sarcastic-so-much-power-meme.jpg

Had to post this since I'm rarely the first comment on a Tank thread :D 

I remember when you returned...and how many times I read your thread hungry in the beginning until I learned better :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 2/2/2020 at 1:31 PM, RES said:

sarcastic-so-much-power-meme.jpg

Had to post this since I'm rarely the first comment on a Tank thread :D 

I remember when you returned...and how many times I read your thread hungry in the beginning until I learned better :lol: 

You reminded me to tag my post with "Don't come here hungry"

On 2/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, deftona said:

I love all the origin stories that are clearly going to come from this and I definitely enjoyed yours! 

Also, second! 

Thank you very much.

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Nice simple goals. I mar or not be hijacking at least one of them.

and following along, of course.

The goals are all free for the taking.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following along (or at least fly-by likes because I won't be able to keep up) 

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

😍😍😍😍

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

On 2/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You reminded me to tag my post with "Don't come here hungry"

my work is complete then... :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 2/7/2020 at 2:26 AM, darkfoxx said:

😍😍😍😍

Howdy.

6 hours ago, RES said:

my work is complete then... :D 

Well done.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Do you have caps on your workouts this time around? Stopping after second round of KB's for example? Just curious.

Yes, I'll stop at the end of the 2nd round. I forgot to mention that, and will now go edit my first post.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

13 hours ago, Xena said:

caps on your workouts

Please tell me y'all knew that as I read this, where exactly my brain went to...

(yes it's tank yelling in all caps lock during his workouts)

giphy.gif

• Haha 7

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

Looking forward to seeing this challenge, it builds so logically on the last one.

42 minutes ago, loire said:

Please tell me y'all knew that as I read this, where exactly my brain went to...

KETTLEBELLS

YOGA

BABY RUCKING

(Yes, that was exactly what I thought).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

The more kettlebell practitioners and yogis the better!

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

6 hours ago, loire said:

(yes it's tank yelling in all caps lock during his workouts)

giphy.gif

AAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHHHH!

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Looking forward to seeing this challenge, it builds so logically on the last one.

KETTLEBELLS

YOGA

BABY RUCKING

(Yes, that was exactly what I thought).

Thanks, the next challenge will probably build on this one.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Happy anniversary challenge consistency goal smashing!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

The more kettlebell practitioners and yogis the better!

For sure. KBs are awesome.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

FOLLOWING FOR ANTICIPATED AWESOMENESS

THANK YOU AND WELCOME!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

45 minutes ago, Harriet said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116387a27fe6055e7219

Howdy!

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

THE ONLY WAY TO WORK OUT!!!

They only correct one, anyway.

Today is a good day. We went to church in the evening instead of the morning, because the event venue our church rents was part of a national corporation involved in bankruptcy proceedings, and Friday night a judge ruled they had to suspend all operations immediately effective Saturday morning. The local staff found out either that night or the next morning. Our church pastor found out Saturday morning, and by Saturday evening a sister church had stepped up and offered to let us use their building Sunday night. Furthermore, we found out that the permanent location for which we were in the midst of a deal had some shady goings on to try and let the building go to a local school district when they (the school district) should not have been able to put an offer together. We all took it in stride, we'll either get the building in question or something better, and we'll find somewhere to meet till then, even if it's a different place every Sunday. This evening was a meaningful and hope-filled worship service.

Because we had the morning to ourselves, I made a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns. Lunch was an asian salad kit with some steamed snow peas, an orange I supremed, and salmon I baked. The salmon was brushed with a mixture of honey and soy sauce with ground ginger and baked in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Dinner was out.

In addition, I did the second half of the laundry (Sra. Tanque did the first half yesterday), and filed our taxes. We got a little over $100 back which I was quite pleased about. I didn't want to owe any like last year (around $600) and if the return was too big it meant too much was being held from our paychecks. I've heard and agree with the idea that if you get a big tax return it's because you gave the government an interest free loan and had to ask for your own money back. I like that we nailed it so close.

• Like 14

Current Challenge

Following! 

also wtf I made it on page 1?

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Our church pastor found out Saturday morning, and by Saturday evening a sister church had stepped up and offered to let us use their building Sunday night. Furthermore, we found out that the permanent location for which we were in the midst of a deal had some shady goings on to try and let the building go to a local school district when they (the school district) should not have been able to put an offer together. We all took it in stride, we'll either get the building in question or something better, and we'll find somewhere to meet till then, even if it's a different place every Sunday. This evening was a meaningful and hope-filled worship service.

God will provide, and at least the shady dealings came out beforehand, and not after your church might have paid a lot of money. *hugs*.

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've heard and agree with the idea that if you get a big tax return it's because you gave the government an interest free loan and had to ask for your own money back. I like that we nailed it so close.

We pay provisional tax twice a year, and then the final tax is done. Usually when that final tax is done we also don't want to have to pay in, or get back too much, because then something isn't right. Luckily the lady who handles our taxes directly (accountant) with SARS (our tax dept), is very good.

-------------------------------------------
I got to know you (a year or two) before you got married, just after the divorce, I think? That was when I joined the Rangers. Before that I was part of the Assassins. I'm trying to remember my NF history. :D I actually remember it better by reading what happened to my NF friends when, because I remember what you guys wrote, not my own things so much.

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Following! 

also wtf I made it on page 1?

Welcome. You got here early.

6 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

God will provide, and at least the shady dealings came out beforehand, and not after your church might have paid a lot of money. *hugs*.

We pay provisional tax twice a year, and then the final tax is done. Usually when that final tax is done we also don't want to have to pay in, or get back too much, because then something isn't right. Luckily the lady who handles our taxes directly (accountant) with SARS (our tax dept), is very good.

-------------------------------------------
I got to know you (a year or two) before you got married, just after the divorce, I think? That was when I joined the Rangers. Before that I was part of the Assassins. I'm trying to remember my NF history. :D I actually remember it better by reading what happened to my NF friends when, because I remember what you guys wrote, not my own things so much.

Yes, it was about two years before I got married. The divorce happened during my first challenge when I came back to the forums.

6 hours ago, Tateman said:

I know right?

Following as well :) 

Welcome as well :) 

• Like 3

Current Challenge