• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Ten Years Gone: Tanktimus Rangers the Forum Challenge 10th anniversary

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

we tried to go to a class that got cancelled. It was on starting your baby on solids, which is very timely as we hit six months in March and that's when we were planning on starting to introduce solids. We found out it was cancelled when we saw a sign on the door. This was frustrating because Sra. Tanque had to drive through heavy traffic to get there (it wasn't bad for me as it was close to my substation). 

Oh, that's a bit annoying that you only found out when you got there. That also sounds quite specific, for a class. What happens if you just give them a little of everything you eat? Here, have one-twentieth of a string cheese, some liver on toast, a bit of sauerkraut, one piece of kimchi, a single noodle, three tablespoons of black tea and a sip of wine. Aren't you meant to chew it all up and then give it to them like birds? Or is that, in fact, birds? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

That's a win!

The first was for OVER AN HOUR!

Just now, Harriet said:

Oh, that's a bit annoying that you only found out when you got there. That also sounds quite specific, for a class. What happens if you just give them a little of everything you eat? Here, have one-twentieth of a string cheese, some liver on toast, a bit of sauerkraut, one piece of kimchi, a single noodle, three tablespoons of black tea and a sip of wine. Aren't you meant to chew it all up and then give it to them like birds? Or is that, in fact, birds? 

*Looks at last sentence, looks at your avatar, looks at last sentence, looks at your avatar...*

I'm pretty sure it's birds. We may end up doing what you suggested, but I resent the implication that I eat liver (Except foie gras). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

chew it all up and then give it to them like birds

When we were in this phase with our kids, my wife would stick a funnel in their mouth and hold their head back because her aim isn't good when spitting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

*Looks at last sentence, looks at your avatar, looks at last sentence, looks at your avatar...*

giphy.gif?cid=790b761183bae79b83f210c483

22 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm pretty sure it's birds. We may end up doing what you suggested, but I resent the implication that I eat liver (Except foie gras). 

Leberwurst on toast! It's Abendbrot, but it's also Fruehstueck. You can have pickles, too, I think. 

3 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

When we were in this phase with our kids, my wife would stick a funnel in their mouth and hold their head back because her aim isn't good when spitting.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c3290984d5360eedfa

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Late to the discussion, but when we lived in Hong Kong, we met for church in the old Japanese HQ building from the pre-WW2 occupation.  It was really cool, and especially fun holding the youth classes in the cells in the basement :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I resent the implication that I eat liver

Liver and bacon, cooked properly, is damned delicious.

*sits back and waits for the jokes about English food

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Interestingly, I will also be in DFW for a week next month.  🙂

perhaps we should all see if we can arrange a meet up with others in the area

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kzacher said:

Posted in Meetups so we don't clog up Tank's challenge.  😉

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I bet. Did you know I saw that picture of the baby with her hand in your mouth today and on this very day little bit started putting her hand in my mouth.

Ha! Simultaneously weird and yet developmentally common. It's usually really cute, unless the hand is covered in half-gummed food.........

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheetah said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Leberwurst on toast! It's Abendbrot, but it's also Fruehstueck. You can have pickles, too, I think. 

I know what Toast and Pickles are. Leberwurst is liverwurst in English, I have never tried it. Google didn't even know what Adenbrot is. Fruehstueck looks like second breakfast.

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Late to the discussion, but when we lived in Hong Kong, we met for church in the old Japanese HQ building from the pre-WW2 occupation.  It was really cool, and especially fun holding the youth classes in the cells in the basement :) 

Seems appropriate. The property we are looking at buying (Not where we will be meeting in the interim) includes a buildling the community college district used for their police. It has interrogation rooms.

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Liver and bacon, cooked properly, is damned delicious.

*sits back and waits for the jokes about English food

Provided there is enough bacon so you don't know the liver is there I might agree.

1 hour ago, kzacher said:

:D 

46 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Posted in Meetups so we don't clog up Tank's challenge.  😉

No worries.

6 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Ha! Simultaneously weird and yet developmentally common. It's usually really cute, unless the hand is covered in half-gummed food.........

Fortunately we aren't too that point yet.

Today in adventures in parenting: Little bit had a blowout in her diaper. It was bad enough I just gave her a bath. I had to hose down the PJs she had on and use stain remover, even the cover for the changing pad has to be washed. Surprisingly I was pretty zen about it all, just another thing to do. I was proud of myself for giving her a bath so quickly too.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today in adventures in parenting: Little bit had a blowout in her diaper. It was bad enough I just gave her a bath. I had to hose down the PJs she had on and use stain remover, even the cover for the changing pad has to be washed. Surprisingly I was pretty zen about it all, just another thing to do. I was proud of myself for giving her a bath so quickly too.

gold-star.gif?fit=406,276

• Like 1

The poop never bothered me.  It's the barf that I have a problem with.

However, I am blissfully happy that I don't have to deal with poop any more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cheetah said:

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I uh is it bad that I'm quietly grateful I'll never be a parent

I mean good on ya for y'all that can HANDLE this stuff like

PositiveTerribleCleanerwrasse-size_restr

I would just run into the woods I think.....................

• Like 2

My ex and I had fun walking down memory lane (I'll take things I never thought I'd hear myself say for $5000 Alex) when our grandchild was born regarding said grandchild's father and what he put us through as new parents...I can't really say I miss those days but happy for the memories

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starsapart said:

gold-star.gif?fit=406,276

:D 

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Yay parenting!!!!

You take the good you take the bad...

4 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Though the moms find the shitsmell-gag-reflex dad's very funny!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dad changing baby gif

After working in a hospital I've gotten used to poop smells. I don't like them, but I've built up something of a tolerance. We call them code browns at work.

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

The poop never bothered me.  It's the barf that I have a problem with.

However, I am blissfully happy that I don't have to deal with poop any more.

Yeah, while they're in diapers at least the poop is somewhat contained (More or less). Barf can go anywhere.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Aaaaand I'm out.

I can't say I blame you.

2 hours ago, loire said:

I uh is it bad that I'm quietly grateful I'll never be a parent

I mean good on ya for y'all that can HANDLE this stuff like

I would just run into the woods I think.....................

FWIW I couldn't handle that stuff until I became a parent. 

57 minutes ago, RES said:

My ex and I had fun walking down memory lane (I'll take things I never thought I'd hear myself say for $5000 Alex) when our grandchild was born regarding said grandchild's father and what he put us through as new parents...I can't really say I miss those days but happy for the memories

I think I know what you mean.

31 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

A dog can help here too, but imma suggest you get a shop vac if you don’t already have one.

Get a shop vac is almost universally good advice for anyone anyway.

Today is a good day. No cooking, but I did 2 rounds of the NF KB workout. That makes 3 days this week! I'm gonna stick with 2 rounds and no more for this challenge. Consistency is more important than intensity. I realized I swung more in the last challenge than I did probably for the entire second half of 2019. I also cleaned up the downstairs bathroom and got a few things from the grocery store before coming in to work. I feel the Badrangerassery flowing when I'm consistent with strength workouts.

• Like 10

That's the main reason I liked exclusively breastfeeding those first 6 months, doesn't smell bad at all. 

Since you don't mind, first food brain dump; 

Main goals; 

- help develop motor control

Baby led weaning is perfect for his, providing food that she can grab and test with her gums/mouth, seeing how far she can stick things inside without gagging/choking. If you go this route you'll want to read up a bit on what choking looks like and what to do (mostly to prevent yourself from panicking, because this very very rarely happens). 

Feel free to mix this approach with some simple spoon feeding! Especially if she can't sit up by herself at 6 months. And some foods, like egg yolk are just easier to feed with a spoon. 

- prevent allergies

Current consensus is introducing potential allergens as soon as possible.. so peanuts, egg white, dairy etc.. (but not honey!!)

Make sure you test 1 food at a time, this goes for all food, not just potential allergens. Start with really small amounts, for example just a teaspoon the first day.. then a little more the second day- and if you go a third day without any reaction, then introduce a new food on day 4. 

- provide 'missing' nutrients

For babies this is in the first place iron.. this basically means all types of meats and egg yolk. Veggies also have iron, but it's a different kind, not as useful. You could also go with fortified cereals, but that would get in the way of the next goal (in my opinion). Just avoid overfeeding liver... a little vitamin A is good, but you can overdose this. A tablespoon once a week is perfectly safe. 

Later on it's going to be fatty foods, so I vote for getting babies used to fatty foods straight up. Egg yolk is perfect, but this also means picking fattier meats. As a bonus, fat makes it easier to absorb the nutrients from veggies, so mix away! Bone broth (without salt) is also really good for this.

- set up for them to become 'good eaters' 

This one is a little less straight forward... but in my book a good eater is a child that will eat a large variety of foods until satiety. 

On the one hand this means trying not to push food on them, or having expectations of what the right amount of food is.. until they're 12 months old they could basically exist on milk only, so try not to worry about it. Set up a little ritual around eating and have some way for her to indicate she's had enough.. ideally this would be crawling away from the table, but most people don't have a setup like that... other ways would be throwing the spoon or bowl away twice in a row means they're finished. 6 month olds are quite capable of understanding this action/concequence! 

On the other hand this means keeping in mind that babies will instinctively go for foods high in calories.. this could either be fatty wholesome food or it could be cereal and bread.. personally I would avoid feeding any type of cereal at first because they're likely to develop a preference. This is purely anecdotal, but most of the children I know only want to eat pasta and bread etc, while mine eats anything* and so does my nephew and my best friends children, who followed the same setup of avoiding cereals at the start. 

*quite literally, today I boiled her a bowl of broccoli and she ate (and enjoyed) it all.. she'll eat all veggies, almost all fruits (she doesn't like kiwi), she'll eat all types of meat... seriously, anything. Olives, tomatoes, avocado, all beans, all meats, all fish.. 

What that looks like in practice; 

- first food could be banana (this digests well), try this for 3 days

- second food could be egg yolk (because it's the most awesome stuff in existence), perhaps mixed with some bone broth, also try for 3 days

- then a meat you're comfy with; make sure it's soft, so maybe chicken thighs or a soft sausage with not too much salt 

- then some veggies, carrot, sweet potato are good to start with (things like cauliflower and broccoli are harder to digest) 

- if all of the above sat well with her you can start mixing foods and if that goes well then you can get rid of the trial period for each new food :)

- definitely do introduce a fatty fish and avocado somewhat early! 

- try the main allergens one by one (so tiny bites of peanut butter, yoghurt, egg white, and something with soy in it) 

- avoid corn kernels, never met a baby that could digest it

- avoid beans at first, harder to digest also

- if she seems to dislike something, disregard it, just keep offering it, baby taste changes very very quickly

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Your kettleballing* makes me happy.

*Intentional misuse here because you’re a baller Kettlebeller.

Why thank you.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

That's the main reason I liked exclusively breastfeeding those first 6 months, doesn't smell bad at all. 

Since you don't mind, first food brain dump; 

Hide contents

Main goals; 

- help develop motor control

Baby led weaning is perfect for his, providing food that she can grab and test with her gums/mouth, seeing how far she can stick things inside without gagging/choking. If you go this route you'll want to read up a bit on what choking looks like and what to do (mostly to prevent yourself from panicking, because this very very rarely happens). 

Feel free to mix this approach with some simple spoon feeding! Especially if she can't sit up by herself at 6 months. And some foods, like egg yolk are just easier to feed with a spoon. 

- prevent allergies

Current consensus is introducing potential allergens as soon as possible.. so peanuts, egg white, dairy etc.. (but not honey!!)

Make sure you test 1 food at a time, this goes for all food, not just potential allergens. Start with really small amounts, for example just a teaspoon the first day.. then a little more the second day- and if you go a third day without any reaction, then introduce a new food on day 4. 

- provide 'missing' nutrients

For babies this is in the first place iron.. this basically means all types of meats and egg yolk. Veggies also have iron, but it's a different kind, not as useful. You could also go with fortified cereals, but that would get in the way of the next goal (in my opinion). Just avoid overfeeding liver... a little vitamin A is good, but you can overdose this. A tablespoon once a week is perfectly safe. 

Later on it's going to be fatty foods, so I vote for getting babies used to fatty foods straight up. Egg yolk is perfect, but this also means picking fattier meats. As a bonus, fat makes it easier to absorb the nutrients from veggies, so mix away! Bone broth (without salt) is also really good for this.

- set up for them to become 'good eaters' 

This one is a little less straight forward... but in my book a good eater is a child that will eat a large variety of foods until satiety. 

On the one hand this means trying not to push food on them, or having expectations of what the right amount of food is.. until they're 12 months old they could basically exist on milk only, so try not to worry about it. Set up a little ritual around eating and have some way for her to indicate she's had enough.. ideally this would be crawling away from the table, but most people don't have a setup like that... other ways would be throwing the spoon or bowl away twice in a row means they're finished. 6 month olds are quite capable of understanding this action/concequence! 

On the other hand this means keeping in mind that babies will instinctively go for foods high in calories.. this could either be fatty wholesome food or it could be cereal and bread.. personally I would avoid feeding any type of cereal at first because they're likely to develop a preference. This is purely anecdotal, but most of the children I know only want to eat pasta and bread etc, while mine eats anything* and so does my nephew and my best friends children, who followed the same setup of avoiding cereals at the start. 

*quite literally, today I boiled her a bowl of broccoli and she ate (and enjoyed) it all.. she'll eat all veggies, almost all fruits (she doesn't like kiwi), she'll eat all types of meat... seriously, anything. Olives, tomatoes, avocado, all beans, all meats, all fish.. 

What that looks like in practice; 

- first food could be banana (this digests well), try this for 3 days

- second food could be egg yolk (because it's the most awesome stuff in existence), perhaps mixed with some bone broth, also try for 3 days

- then a meat you're comfy with; make sure it's soft, so maybe chicken thighs or a soft sausage with not too much salt 

- then some veggies, carrot, sweet potato are good to start with (things like cauliflower and broccoli are harder to digest) 

- if all of the above sat well with her you can start mixing foods and if that goes well then you can get rid of the trial period for each new food :)

- definitely do introduce a fatty fish and avocado somewhat early! 

- try the main allergens one by one (so tiny bites of peanut butter, yoghurt, egg white, and something with soy in it) 

- avoid corn kernels, never met a baby that could digest it

- avoid beans at first, harder to digest also

- if she seems to dislike something, disregard it, just keep offering it, baby taste changes very very quickly

Thanks for the info. We tried to exclusively breastfeed, but had to supplement with formula.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We tried to exclusively breastfeed, but had to supplement with formula.

Yes I know! I kept this in mind when reading about your heroic dealing with the blowout :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yes I know! I kept this in mind when reading about your heroic dealing with the blowout :D

:D Thanks for the kind inclusion of the word "heroic" in that description, it made me smile.

Today is a good day. I went to my men's breakfast group, which was again very helpful. I came home and ordered groceries for delivery tomorrow, then made lunch. I didn't prioritize yoga, so I'm giving myself a zero week pass. I think I may switch Yoga to Sundays and let Saturday be my day not to have a movement goal. I have way more undesignated time on Sundays, so shifting the routine a little to move Yoga seems wiser than relying on sheer willpower to get Yoga done on Saturdays. That means Yoga tomorrow, not to make up for today, but because it's week 1 and that's a day Yoga gets done during the challenge 😎

Lunch was squash and zucchini chopped and put on a baking sheet with olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley and baked for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. As an entree I had chopped chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked in avocado oil with white wine vinegar. It was topped with a mixture I processed in my magic bullet. There was sour cream, mayo, milk, a chopped tomatillo, an avocado, lime zest and lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a tiny hint of cumin. It was really good.

Zero week went really well, I got three KB days in, did yoga once and baby rucked once, and discovered a tweak to help me get two yoga days a week in. On to the challenge! 

• Like 13