Ten Years Gone: Tanktimus Rangers the Forum Challenge 10th anniversary

18 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Lunch was squash and zucchini chopped and put on a baking sheet with olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley and baked for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. As an entree I had chopped chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked in avocado oil with white wine vinegar. It was topped with a mixture I processed in my magic bullet. There was sour cream, mayo, milk, a chopped tomatillo, an avocado, lime zest and lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a tiny hint of cumin. It was really good.

Ok I'm salivating just reading that.  Yum!!!

We're in the introducing-solids phase with our Littlest Miss too.  

For Child #1 we had to start at 4mo (as per her paediatrician, we had feeding issues and were doing the mixed-feeding thing like you), we did lots of lovingly prepared single-ingredient purees and mostly spoon feeding.  She learned to eat a diverse range of foods including broccoli, olives and capsicum.  We patted ourselves on the back.  Around age 5, she decided she didn't like those things any more, and we estimate she is now (age 8 ) approximately 10% chicken nugget.  (Which she's only allowed once a week, btw.  But she often just won't eat what's on the table... Seeing gradual improvement over the last three months or so.)

Child #2 was a much better feeder so we were debating whether to start him at 4, 5 or 6 months.  He solved that dilemma for us by stealing my food one day shy of 4mo.  So we did baby led weaning with him.  He learned to eat a diverse range of foods.  We patted ourselves on the back.  Around age 3, he decided he didn't like many of those things any more.  Both children now whinge about any green vegetable other than peas or fresh-from-the-backyard beans, and any red vegetable other than tomato or raw carrot.  He does at least still eat mushrooms with me.

So child #3 (currently 5.5 months) has been given small tastes of whatever we're eating.  Sometimes I blitz it for her.  Last night we ended up with pizza, and she munged on the crusts.  I think we're halfway between baby-led-weaning and the formal single-ingredient-puree intro we did the first time.  I anticipate that she will learn to eat a diverse range of foods, we will pat ourselves on the back, and some time between 3yo and 5yo, she will rebel and want processed foods like the other two.

I am so sick of our dinner table arguments.  Trying to channel my inner Ellyn Satter but gosh it's hard for a type-A-perfectionist!

Anyway, whatever you guys end up doing, KB Girl hit it on the head - Food's for fun until they're one!

(But mine have all slept better at night after introducing a small solid evening meal...)

Cool that you nailed your Zero Week.  :D  Yay, let the challenge begin!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Well I might be in the patting myself on the back phase :D My eldest is only 3. 

You never know - you might be the outlier who keeps the good habits!!!  I still believe that setting them up with a good foundation and normalising good nutrition at the family table will win out in the end.  We talk frankly about protein, fats, carbohydrates, sugars, and vitamins, and the importance of balancing them, and that every food has its' place etc etc.  No demonising, no "clean eating" neuroticism, but loving our bodies by nourishing them so we can do cool things.  Our trigger for Miss 8's pickiness was when she started school and started comparing with her friends (before that, daycare provided really well balanced meals so everyone got the same).  And then of course her little brother took his lead from her.  I reckon they'll come good eventually.  :) 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

Ok I'm salivating just reading that.  Yum!!!

We're in the introducing-solids phase with our Littlest Miss too.  

For Child #1 we had to start at 4mo (as per her paediatrician, we had feeding issues and were doing the mixed-feeding thing like you), we did lots of lovingly prepared single-ingredient purees and mostly spoon feeding.  She learned to eat a diverse range of foods including broccoli, olives and capsicum.  We patted ourselves on the back.  Around age 5, she decided she didn't like those things any more, and we estimate she is now (age 8 ) approximately 10% chicken nugget.  (Which she's only allowed once a week, btw.  But she often just won't eat what's on the table... Seeing gradual improvement over the last three months or so.)

Child #2 was a much better feeder so we were debating whether to start him at 4, 5 or 6 months.  He solved that dilemma for us by stealing my food one day shy of 4mo.  So we did baby led weaning with him.  He learned to eat a diverse range of foods.  We patted ourselves on the back.  Around age 3, he decided he didn't like many of those things any more.  Both children now whinge about any green vegetable other than peas or fresh-from-the-backyard beans, and any red vegetable other than tomato or raw carrot.  He does at least still eat mushrooms with me.

So child #3 (currently 5.5 months) has been given small tastes of whatever we're eating.  Sometimes I blitz it for her.  Last night we ended up with pizza, and she munged on the crusts.  I think we're halfway between baby-led-weaning and the formal single-ingredient-puree intro we did the first time.  I anticipate that she will learn to eat a diverse range of foods, we will pat ourselves on the back, and some time between 3yo and 5yo, she will rebel and want processed foods like the other two.

I am so sick of our dinner table arguments.  Trying to channel my inner Ellyn Satter but gosh it's hard for a type-A-perfectionist!

Anyway, whatever you guys end up doing, KB Girl hit it on the head - Food's for fun until they're one!

(But mine have all slept better at night after introducing a small solid evening meal...)

Cool that you nailed your Zero Week.  :D  Yay, let the challenge begin!

I advise against reading my thread when you are hungry. We are leaning heavily towards self weaning.

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Well I might be in the patting myself on the back phase :D My eldest is only 3. 

I'll bet she keeps up with the good example her mom sets.

2 hours ago, Kiki Dee said:

You never know - you might be the outlier who keeps the good habits!!!  I still believe that setting them up with a good foundation and normalising good nutrition at the family table will win out in the end.  We talk frankly about protein, fats, carbohydrates, sugars, and vitamins, and the importance of balancing them, and that every food has its' place etc etc.  No demonising, no "clean eating" neuroticism, but loving our bodies by nourishing them so we can do cool things.  Our trigger for Miss 8's pickiness was when she started school and started comparing with her friends (before that, daycare provided really well balanced meals so everyone got the same).  And then of course her little brother took his lead from her.  I reckon they'll come good eventually.  :) 

This is how we plan on raising ours after reading Intuitive Eating.

37 minutes ago, Haikoo said:

Alright, ya got me.

But I see I am already behind on your challenge. Some things never change. 😂

Welcome!

27 minutes ago, Haikoo said:

Or your own freaking carpet cleaner.

I have PTSD after one particular incident. Thank goodness they are old enough to get to the toilet now.

I've read horror stories about roombas running over a little accident left by a pet and spreading it all over the carpet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

men's breakfast group,

I read that as men's breakfast soup, and then I was excited because I thought you were going to share a recipe. Then I was disappointed because obviously the soup would be forbidden to me. Then I was extra excited because FORBIDDEN SOUP! But then I re-read it. 

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

sour cream, mayo, milk, a chopped tomatillo, an avocado, lime zest and lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a tiny hint of cumin.

oooooh

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Just now, Harriet said:

I read that as men's breakfast soup, and then I was excited because I thought you were going to share a recipe. Then I was disappointed because obviously the soup would be forbidden to me. Then I was extra excited because FORBIDDEN SOUP! But then I re-read it. 

It's a church group, so while particulars discussed amongst the group would be held confidential, any recipes therein would be freely shared.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's a church group, so while particulars discussed amongst the group would be held confidential, any recipes therein would be freely shared.

Aye, but clearly a woman can't eat a men's soup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

56 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Aye, but clearly a woman can't eat a men's soup.

She can if the man consents.

53 minutes ago, Kiki Dee said:

Depends how well the men have been pureed.

This may require more consent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, Kiki Dee said:

Depends how well the men have been pureed.

This took a rather unexpected and brutal turn.

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She can if the man consents.

Not a man's soup, as in a soup belonging to a man. A men's soup. A soup only for men. A soup that puts hair on your chest, makes your voice deeper, and smells of masculinity from eight meters away. 

You know. Like these men's shower products:

https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-showering-awesome-again.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

This took a rather unexpected and brutal turn.

Not a man's soup, as in a soup belonging to a man. A men's soup. A soup only for men. A soup that puts hair on your chest, makes your voice deeper, and smells of masculinity from eight meters away. 

You know. Like these men's shower products:

https://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-showering-awesome-again.html

You mean the Testorone supplement bisque. Yes, it's a Men's soup, but it's not secret and all who want it are welcome to it.

44 minutes ago, Haikoo said:

I've actually read that story, too. OMG. No thank you.

This one involved a daughter, vomit,  and a loft bed.

No thank you to your experience as well. Not grossed out, just glad I didn't have to clean it. I'm sure I'll have my own stories eventually.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No thank you to your experience as well. Not grossed out, just glad I didn't have to clean it. I'm sure I'll have my own stories eventually.

SO many. And so many great ones, too. My best piece of parenting advice advice: Make sure you document the best ones somewhere if you can find the time. Keep a journal or notebook somewhere that you can quick jot down the cute/funny/amazing stuff with dates and age. I stumbled across a few I had written down the other day and we all laughed and laughed at some of the things one of our current 13 year olds said when he was 4.  :D 

• Like 3

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge

On 2/14/2020 at 12:11 PM, Cheetah said:

The poop never bothered me.  It's the barf that I have a problem with.

However, I am blissfully happy that I don't have to deal with poop any more.

I am a sympathetic barfer.  But when it was my kids, it just turned off.  

On 2/14/2020 at 12:18 PM, loire said:

I would just run into the woods I think.....................

Thats for potty training.  Spent the summer outside with boy-o.  It clicked when I told him “hey, you can pee on that”

On 2/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

A dog can help here too, but imma suggest you get a shop vac if you don’t already have one.

make sure it’s a wet/dry vac. 😉

• Like 2

Level -20 Zombie Princess

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Spoiler

On 2/13/2020 at 9:57 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Also, get a dog. It will dramatically cut down on the time it takes to clean up after the baby eats.

Very true! Nearly spotless floors! :D Not so well on carpets though ;)

Tank, I'll leave baby feeding to the experts here. I remember very well what we went through with our two boys: Adam was on shop bought baby food (Purity - tasted horrible) now eats everything. Rocco who ate my own home made puree, which friends for some or other reason liked trying out, and enjoyed, now is a very finicky eater. *shrug* The one thing that was a blessing was banana in little mesh baggies on a plastic holder. You could even put a frozen banana in it. Baby can't choke, and she gets to taste all kinds of foods you choose to put in the baggy.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Green/dp/B000GK5XY2?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000GK5XY2

On 2/15/2020 at 12:00 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today is a good day. No cooking, but I did 2 rounds of the NF KB workout. That makes 3 days this week!

Woot! Woot! on all these workouts.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

6 hours ago, Haikoo said:

SO many. And so many great ones, too. My best piece of parenting advice advice: Make sure you document the best ones somewhere if you can find the time. Keep a journal or notebook somewhere that you can quick jot down the cute/funny/amazing stuff with dates and age. I stumbled across a few I had written down the other day and we all laughed and laughed at some of the things one of our current 13 year olds said when he was 4.  :D 

Sra. Tanque has been getting a lot of stuff on her phone.

3 hours ago, Rinna said:

I am a sympathetic barfer.  But when it was my kids, it just turned off.  

Thats for potty training.  Spent the summer outside with boy-o.  It clicked when I told him “hey, you can pee on that”

make sure it’s a wet/dry vac. 😉

Oh yeah, peeing outside is a joy. As a man raised in the country now living in the city a part of me resents having to go indoors to pee.

29 minutes ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Very true! Nearly spotless floors! :D Not so well on carpets though ;)

Tank, I'll leave baby feeding to the experts here. I remember very well what we went through with our two boys: Adam was on shop bought baby food (Purity - tasted horrible) now eats everything. Rocco who ate my own home made puree, which friends for some or other reason liked trying out, and enjoyed, now is a very finicky eater. *shrug* The one thing that was a blessing was banana in little mesh baggies on a plastic holder. You could even put a frozen banana in it. Baby can't choke, and she gets to taste all kinds of foods you choose to put in the baggy.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Green/dp/B000GK5XY2?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000GK5XY2

Woot! Woot! on all these workouts.

We have some mesh baggies, might even be that brand. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Today is a good day. Our church, which used to meet in an event venue, met for the first time in a movie theater. The event venue we were using was shut down due to a corporate bankruptcy. Where we met today is literally across the street from the building we are trying to buy. (The address of the theater is 7901 Pat Booker Rd, the property we are looking at is 7900 Pat Booker Road, Live Oak TX). Church was awesome.

We got some clothes for Little Bit who is growing rapidly and had lunch out. I was so sleepy I had to take a nap after we got home. I was very tired. I did make dinner. It was simple, garlic bread and a ceaser salad kit on the side, and the main dish was some fresh angel hair pasta dressed with a mixture of alfredo and marinara sauce with some Italian sausage and fresh chopped basil topped with parmesean. I had planned to do Yoga today, but NO. I think if I'm gonna get that second Yoga session in it's going to take an intention to get it done between getting up Saturday morning and going to my Breakfast group.

• Like 8

Current Challenge

52 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today is a good day. Our church, which used to meet in an event venue, met for the first time in a movie theater. The event venue we were using was shut down due to a corporate bankruptcy. Where we met today is literally across the street from the building we are trying to buy. (The address of the theater is 7901 Pat Booker Rd, the property we are looking at is 7900 Pat Booker Road, Live Oak TX). Church was awesome.

We got some clothes for Little Bit who is growing rapidly and had lunch out. I was so sleepy I had to take a nap after we got home. I was very tired. I did make dinner. It was simple, garlic bread and a ceaser salad kit on the side, and the main dish was some fresh angel hair pasta dressed with a mixture of alfredo and marinara sauce with some Italian sausage and fresh chopped basil topped with parmesean. I had planned to do Yoga today, but NO. I think if I'm gonna get that second Yoga session in it's going to take an intention to get it done between getting up Saturday morning and going to my Breakfast group.

I read about that on Facebook. One of those reminders, where when something unexpected happens (like suddenly losing the church building) and it seems like everything is out of control, but in truth it is under God's control.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

As an auntie, I miss out on a lot of the "how in the name of all that is holy is all this horribleness ejecting from your body?" And it's honestly a huge factor in why I don't have children of my own.

Although when my nephew was wee, I watched him 3 times a week while my sister in law was teaching, and once he had a slight stomach bug and she fed him peanut butter before handing him over to me for the day.  I would sing to override my gag reflex and distract him from fussing too much when he needed a diaper change. 

I won't share details, but it was years before I could eat peanut butter, and I still don't really eat a lot of it.  That was also the day we came up with the hit song "Clean Diaper"

🎵Cleeeeeeeeeeean diaper,

cleeeeeeeean diaper!

It's so nice for your bum,

let's put on another one!

CLEEEEEEEAN DIAPER!!!!!!

It feels good to be clean

I know you know what I mean!

CLEEEEEEAN DIAPEEEEERRRRRR!🎵

(huaarrrgh)🤢

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
On 2/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I didn't prioritize yoga, so I'm giving myself a zero week pass. I think I may switch Yoga to Sundays and let Saturday be my day not to have a movement goal. I have way more undesignated time on Sundays, so shifting the routine a little to move Yoga seems wiser than relying on sheer willpower to get Yoga done on Saturdays. That means Yoga tomorrow, not to make up for today, but because it's week 1 and that's a day Yoga gets done during the challenge 😎

couldn't you open the window entirely and say do yoga on Sat or Sun depending on your schedule? as long as it gets done? 

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I read about that on Facebook. One of those reminders, where when something unexpected happens (like suddenly losing the church building) and it seems like everything is out of control, but in truth it is under God's control.

This is so true. 

4 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

As an auntie, I miss out on a lot of the "how in the name of all that is holy is all this horribleness ejecting from your body?" And it's honestly a huge factor in why I don't have children of my own.

Although when my nephew was wee, I watched him 3 times a week while my sister in law was teaching, and once he had a slight stomach bug and she fed him peanut butter before handing him over to me for the day.  I would sing to override my gag reflex and distract him from fussing too much when he needed a diaper change. 

I won't share details, but it was years before I could eat peanut butter, and I still don't really eat a lot of it.  That was also the day we came up with the hit song "Clean Diaper"

🎵Cleeeeeeeeeeean diaper,

cleeeeeeeean diaper!

It's so nice for your bum,

let's put on another one!

CLEEEEEEEAN DIAPER!!!!!!

It feels good to be clean

I know you know what I mean!

CLEEEEEEAN DIAPEEEEERRRRRR!🎵

(huaarrrgh)🤢

I have diaper songs too 😀

3 hours ago, kzacher said:

couldn't you open the window entirely and say do yoga on Sat or Sun depending on your schedule? as long as it gets done? 

I could, but knowing established patterns it's highly unlikely to get done on Sundays. My best success with fitness comes when I have a solid routine for the week. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge