WhiteGhost: Left 4 Dead

WhiteGhost

Pennsylvania was bad. The outbreak there left the world in Chaos as the viral mutations turned the population into dangerous mobs of violent killers. Thanks to the tireless efforts and sacrifices of the Survivors, the world was able to recover to some sense of normality.  That was Fall 2009. 

Fast Forward 10 years to the first few months of 2020. News of another breakout have been spreading across the globe, this time originating in a major manufacturing hub in China, timed perfectly to coincide with the largest mass migration of humans each year: The Chinese Lunar New Year Holiday, a.k.a CNY.  With millions of unknowingly infected people traveling across the globe to enjoy their holiday, the deadly virus quietly incibates. 

Luckily for the world, the Survivors are still around, still immune, and still ready to fight off the deadly hordes of infected zombies! 

Let's get this game started!!! 

As many of you know, I live in China which is in the grips of a terrifying viral epidemic known as Novel Corona Virus (nCoV). We thought we were safe in a relatively small resort town on the southern island of Hainan, but we were notified yesterday that we have a confirmed case of the virus in our housing complex and the complex has just been put in quarantine lockdown.   This Challenge is going to be about surviving and thriving in our current situation. 

Stage one of the game is escaping the quarantine facility (this will continue until we get back to Beijing, at which point the game will progress to Stage 2  :))  

Time to check in with our Survivors

Bill*, the ex-Green Beret - Fitness

Exercise is limited, and although we have a yoga mat that I had previously been using for bodyweight exercises, we decided it may be best to limit laying on the floor as much as possible as that is the most likely place for viral microbes to get tracked in. With a little creativity, I can still do things that don't require lying on the ground. For this challenge I am going to focus primarily on very simple stretching, cardio endurance, and bodyweight strength exercises.  I will target 5 sessions per week. 

Zoey, the student- Learning

I didn't bring my ukulele with me, but I did bring my sketch kit.   Learning for this challenge is going to mostly focused on art, and I will aim to get in a sketching session 5x per week. 

Louis, the businessman - Reading

I brought my Kindle, so I have pretty good options for reading. I don't have any specific reading list, but I want to spend at least an hour every day reading

Francis, the rebel biker - Playing

Staying sane is going to be a continuing struggle as we will continue to be confined to our home for the next few weeks at least. I didn't bring my laptop or a game console, and Ghostess needs her laptop for work, so my options are going to be phone based games or offline games. I have a brainless time suck game on my phone that I can play for a bit, but I can't do that all day, nor do I want to. Mahjong will continue to be a regular thing in the evenings, but I want to try to get in some offline playing time with Ghostlet every day. We have a few card games and board games here, so I want to make sure we play some of those every day. 

* Until proven otherwise, this challenge posits that unbeknownst to the other Survivors, Bill actually survived the kick-start generator incident and was able to catch up with the other Survivors once the outbreak was contained and a cure was found ;)

Finally, as much as I enjoy following everyone else's threads, it is a struggle to do so from my phone. I will be more active in following fellow rebels once I am reunited with my laptop. 

• Like 12
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

* Until proven otherwise, this challenge posits that unbeknownst to the other Survivors, Bill actually survived the kick-start generator incident and was able to catch up with the other Survivors once the outbreak was contained and a cure was found ;)

That's ok, technically Bill doesn't die until Left 4 Dead 2. 

Also I am so freaking here for this, L4D & L4D2 are my favourite games in the whole freaking world ever. Though I am not happy you're having to play it for real (tell the supermarket guy to get his own freaking cola)

Image result for kill all sons of bitches, that's my official instruction"

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 2/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, Hazard said:

Here to see if you survive.

#NoPressure

I'll do my best :)

On 2/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along so I can make sure you survive the plague. 

Just don't follow too closely, I'd feel bad if I sneezed on you 😛

On 2/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, deftona said:

That's ok, technically Bill doesn't die until Left 4 Dead 2. 

Also I am so freaking here for this, L4D & L4D2 are my favourite games in the whole freaking world ever. Though I am not happy you're having to play it for real (tell the supermarket guy to get his own freaking cola)

Image result for kill all sons of bitches, that's my official instruction"

Lucky for me the live action version doesn't have as many zombies :)

• Like 3

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I've never played those games, but I'm here for support and to see you not become a zombie!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

301-X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past.gif

Ready to see you end those zombies!

Take care!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:41 PM, loire said:

I've never played those games, but I'm here for support and to see you not become a zombie!

Full disclosure: I've never played them either ;)

On 2/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I don’t love that you’re stranded in a zombie wasteland, but I do love this challenge 😅

Great to have you here

On 2/10/2020 at 12:36 AM, h3r0 said:

Be safe. Following 

As safe as can be!  Welcome! 

22 hours ago, zenLara said:

301-X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past.gif

Ready to see you end those zombies!

Take care!

Those zombies don't stand a chance

Monday

Bill - I thought about doing a one exercise but that is about as close as it came. Need to make it happen tomorrow for sure. 

Zoey - Didn't do any sketching either. At this rate I am going to zombie fodder before week one starts

Louis - I am currently reading Moving Pictures from the Discworld series. I can already tell it isn't going to be one of my favorites

Francis - I spent a lot of time playing on my phone but that doesn't count. Nor does the mahjong we played in the evening. I will count the time I spent turoring Ghost let in English, though (see below) 

Today is technically a work day and would have been the first day of school had we not been in this situation, so I sat Ghostlet down and gave him some one on one English tutoring focusing on diphthongs. After lunch he had an online math class so for him not was almost like being back in school. starting tomorrow he will have another Chinese class so he will be getting his learning on.   

In the nCoV news, reps from the management office came to every household in the complex yesterday for registration. Today we were issued entry permits to get back into the complex if we leave. However, the permit is only good for one person per househould and can only be used once every other day at most.   

We were talking to some friends in Haikou, the provincial capital on the north shore of the island and it turns out that they are starting to have food shortages there. For the last 3 days they have checked the grocery store but it continues to be mostly sold out. So far the city we are in has not had any problems. 

There was a report published by the Chinese Academy of Sciences saying that based on the data they have, nCoV actually has a mortality rate of about 19% and an R0 if almost 4 (Pronounced R-Naught, which is an indicator of how infectious the disease is).For reference,regular flu is less than R0 1.5. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Level 2 Ninja

Crossing my fingers this all magically gets sorted out soon!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 hours ago, starsapart said:

Oof, life on hard mode. Following along this time. Stay safe.

As zombie apocalypses go, I am playing this on probably the easiest possible mode (for now). It isn't like I have a newborn and no maternity leave or something insane like that ;)

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Crossing my fingers this all magically gets sorted out soon!

Magic is what it would take at this point. Some people are suggesting the warmer temperatures of spring will clear all this up (as his normal for most corona virus based illnesses, but the spread in Singapore makes me question that a bit... 

Well, this being the 10th anniversary episode and all, I guess I can take a post to look back at the last 10 years and in particular the last few during which I have been here at NF. 

10 years ago I had already been living on Beijing for 6 years (holy crap, has it really been that long???) Yep, I came here the year after SARS, which I was in Hong Kong for. Pandemics and I go a long way back. You could say we have a bit of a history... 

I left my job at an investment bank that year and started up at a corporate job. The 3 years I was there was probably the most productive I have ever been in a job, but at a cost. I don't think I did any exercise at all during the years I worked there, at it was really starting to show in terms of both body composition and overall energy levels. 

A few years later I got laid off and ended up getting a job and it was probably the least productive work place I have ever been in. I ended up having tons of spare time, so I started learning BMX flatland and how to play the ululele to fill my spare time. The job was a complete bust, but I did get back on the road to fitness and learning, which laid the groundwork for finding Nerd Fitness. 

At the end of 2015 the new company I was at folded (it was one of the largest solar companies in China, but also, as it turned out, a massive fraud. By this time I was in the best shape I have been in since leaving active duty in the military and as I settled into a new job I was looking around for new exercises because the old standard of pushups, situps, squats and pull ups was getting old. As I was searching for interesting worlouts, I came across some blog posts and was drawn in by the concept of looking at my workouts like an RPG character and leveling up with new skills. I found my way over to the forums and have been here ever since. 

There have been 2 big changes that I can identify from being here on NF

1.  My workouts became a lot more interesting. I really enjoy showing off, so my workouts changed from basic exercises to more flashy stuff like gymnastics, calisthenics and parkour. I also learned to enjoy working out because it became fun an stead of a chore

2. I have become increasingly satisfied with my body image. My body shape has not changes significantly, but this is more of a psychological thing than physical. There is a lot of body positive stuff around the forums and that has been rubbing off on me in a good way. 

Finally, a shoutout to some folks who were around before but I haven't seen in a while @Teancum, @GregT., @PettyMort, @JupiterStar, @BardicGarlic, @TophGal

• Like 9

Level 2 Ninja

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Been thinking of you and the family with the virus outbreak, Ghost. Hope all goes well and love the fitting L4D theme.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The challenge topic pretty much picked itself ;)

Today was a pretty busy day, at least compared to the last two weeks. 

Bill - I didn't work out per se today but I did get some stretching in so I am going to count that. My hips and shoulders thanked me

Zoey - I took a few minutes and did a very simple sketch of a computer mouse, which is good enough for this challenge.   Also, I was talking to my sister this morning and she mentioned that she has a 75 day streak on Duolingo. This reminded me that I also have a Duolingo account so I also spent about 20 minutes working on some Spanish. From now on, this also counts for leveling up Zoey

Louis - got at least an hours worth of reading in but I am kind of just working through it so I can get on to the next book in the queue.  Next up is Small Gods and then Lords & Ladies

Francis - I played a game of Cheas with Ghost let this morning. I had to go really easy on him, though. A few days ago I trounced him 4 times in a row and I suspect if I did it again today he wouldn't play with me anymore. I also did a couple hours of English Tutoring with him which I am going to also count towards this. 

Not much in the news today. We got our Re-Entry permits from the management office so we can sort of leave the complex

The rules are

1.  Only 1 per household. If you lose it it will not be replaced

2.  Each re-entry permit can be used by one person one time every two days

3.  No one without a permit will be allowed to enter the complex

4.  A valid government issued ID must be presented together with the Re-Entry permit

5.  No one without a face mask will be permitted to enter the complex

6.  Any high risk people (those returning from another city, people from Wuhan, etc.) must be independently quarantined for 14 days

7. After the end of the quarantine period, travel permits for inter-city travel can be obtained from the management office. 

We are thinking about making another grocery store run in the next day or so to resupply on fresh fruits and vegetables. 

• Like 8

Level 2 Ninja

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

As zombie apocalypses go, I am playing this on probably the easiest possible mode (for now). It isn't like I have a newborn and no maternity leave or something insane like that ;)

Ha, point taken, that was not a picnic for sure. But the plague isn't exactly a walk in the park either.

There have been 2 big changes that I can identify from being here on NF

1.  My workouts became a lot more interesting. I really enjoy showing off, so my workouts changed from basic exercises to more flashy stuff like gymnastics, calisthenics and parkour. I also learned to enjoy working out because it became fun an stead of a chore

2. I have become increasingly satisfied with my body image. My body shape has not changes significantly, but this is more of a psychological thing than physical. There is a lot of body positive stuff around the forums and that has been rubbing off on me in a good way. 

I feel both of these as well! NF is good at this stuff. ☺️

46 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

We got our Re-Entry permits from the management office so we can sort of leave the complex

Woohoo!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

On 2/10/2020 at 12:02 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Louis - I am currently reading Moving Pictures from the Discworld series. I can already tell it isn't going to be one of my favorites

Definitely not one of the better ones. Really only good for the Rincewind scenes, imo. 

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good changes to have, and fwiw, it's neat to watch you flashy folk progress in more flashy stuff. 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Not much in the news today. We got our Re-Entry permits from the management office so we can sort of leave the complex

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

We are thinking about making another grocery store run in the next day or so to resupply on fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Oof. Good luck, and be safe. Thank goodness for phones and internet, so we can stay connected while isolated (knock on wood). 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Each re-entry permit can be used by one person one time every two days

That is restrictive. No surprise you said "we can sort of leave the complex".

Good luck at the grocery store! Don't let zombies stop you!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

It's crazy how life just goes on during a pandemic.. I bet you really regret not bringing the laptop! 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, WhiteGhost said:

English tutoring focusing on diphthongs

ehhh, what are those? :D

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I followed the other day but hadn't had the time to comment and whatnot. Like others have said, I pray you and the Ghostfam are safe and sound. If anyone is gonna protect them against the zombie outbreak, they're lucky to have you, sir. Love the theme. Left 4 Dead was an intense game back in the day! I remember the witch always creeped me the hell out lol. If you liked L4D, you would really enjoy Dying Light. It's probably the best zombie game I've played to date. I say that cuz I love parkour and fluid movement is crucial in that game, so, maybe I'm being biased lol.

Image result for left 4 dead witch gif

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

20 hours ago, starsapart said:

I feel both of these as well! NF is good at this stuff. ☺️

NF is a unique bastion of goodness holding out against the rest of the internet cesspool

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Definitely not one of the better ones. Really only good for the Rincewind scenes, imo. 

If I knew it was  Rincewind book going into it I would have skipped it (Like I did with FaustEric)

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Good changes to have, and fwiw, it's neat to watch you flashy folk progress in more flashy stuff.

Hopefully 2020 will bring more flashy stuff but so far not really off to a great start...

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

That is restrictive. No surprise you said "we can sort of leave the complex".

Good luck at the grocery store! Don't let zombies stop you!

Yeah, it is about as restrictive as it gets short of a full lockdown

2 hours ago, deftona said:
3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

ehhh, what are those? :D

See I don't know what those are either but being literally English I was too embarrassed to ask :D 

It's simply the sound of a diagraph, of course

32 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

diphtongs are when two vowels are next to each other to make a new sound that is different than when you would pronounce each separately.

Oh, sure, spoil the fun :P  And from what I understand you can also have consonant diphthongs (the letter combinations are called diagraphs but the sound they make are called diphthongs)  

3 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

I followed the other day but hadn't had the time to comment and whatnot. Like others have said, I pray you and the Ghostfam are safe and sound. If anyone is gonna protect them against the zombie outbreak, they're lucky to have you, sir. Love the theme. Left 4 Dead was an intense game back in the day! I remember the witch always creeped me the hell out lol. If you liked L4D, you would really enjoy Dying Light. It's probably the best zombie game I've played to date. I say that cuz I love parkour and fluid movement is crucial in that game, so, maybe I'm being biased lol.

Thanks Bro!  I haven't actually played L4D yet, but I plan to make it happen at some point.

Wednesday

Today did not go according to plan.  Not even close to the plan.  It was quite different. It was, in fact, Different

Things started out pretty normally.  We got up and had breakfast, Ghostlet had his online Chinese class and I was preparing for his English lesson when Ghostess's mom came in and read us the latest news.  That was the point when everything went off the rails.

Apparently, the Chinese CDC had been doing some analysis and determined that there is very likely going to be another spike in infections starting from Feb 18.  We were planning to fly back to Beijing either Feb 18 or 19 but after reading the news we decided it would probably be best not to travel right when they are predicting the spike.  The recommendation from her parents was to wait until early March to return, but that would be very problematic for her work, so we made a decision on the spot to return back to Beijing today.  The in-laws made lunch while we rushed back to our side and started packing.

As soon as lunch was finished we put on our safety gear (face mask, glasses, and surgical gloves) and headed out the door with very little baggage and headed to the bus stop.  The guard at the gate stopped us to check for our re-entry permits, but when we told him we weren't coming back he just shrugged and walked away.  If we aren't coming back we were no longer his problem.

We didn't want to take a taxi (or anything like a Lyft or Uber) because there is no way to know the health of the driver or the status of any passengers that may have been previously in the car.  Instead we opted for a bus because the drivers can't work if sick, and they are careful about who they let in.  When the bus showed up, they wouldn't open the door and just stuck an infrared thermometer out the window and we had to step up and have our temperature taken.  Once the driver was satisfied that we didn't have a fever, he opened up the door and we got on.  The buses are usually pretty crowded, but today there was only 1 other passenger on the whole bus.  We got to the airport and it was pretty deserted.  We had to submit to another temperature screening as part of the security check, and then again as part of the boarding process.  Once on the aircraft, we had to fill out an online health report (describing any symptoms (if any), where we had been for the last 2 weeks, any contact with high risk people, etc.) and submit that.  The plane wouldn't take off until all passengers had filled out and submitted the report.  They had a few hard copies just in case, but I guess it is apparently sufficiently improbable that no one in a given group would be traveling without any internet/mobile capability that they didn't have more than about 5 hard copies.

Halfway through the flight, they came through and checked temperatures again right before landing.  Once off the plane, we changed out masks and gloves for some fresh ones and hopped in our car which we had left in Long Term paring at the airport.  We had not expected to leave it there so long, so we ended up having a HUGE parking bill (more than $200, which is almost what paid for the an airline ticket :( ).  Traffic on the way back was incredibly light.  Normally it takes us about 90 minutes to get home but today we made it in 24.  I think it is the first time I have even been able to hit the speed limit on the airport expressway.  

Once we got home, we threw our safety gear away, boiled all of the clothes we wore, doused our shoes in rubbing alcohol and jumped in the shower.

Tomorrow we are going to need to sneak out and pick up some groceries (We are like Old Mother Hubbard in here) and pick up Wraith from the cat sitter and then once those are done report to the police to register our new location (and presumably get quarantined for 14 days)     

• Like 7
  • Wow 7

Level 2 Ninja

4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Tomorrow we are going to need to sneak out and pick up some groceries (We are like Old Mother Hubbard in here) and pick up Wraith from the cat sitter and then once those are done report to the police to register our new location (and presumably get quarantined for 14 days)

It's just mind boggling that you're dealing with this first hand. Keep you're chin up though, it seems you're already a step ahead.

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks Bro!  I haven't actually played L4D yet, but I plan to make it happen at some point.

If you get a chance to play, I know you'll enjoy it :). And, you're most welcome! 

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.