• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

darkfoxx

Darkfoxx 63: The All-Singing All-Dancing...

[Fireworks,

Explosions,

Team America memes]

I mean .... I *did* just crack open my actual computer for the first time in over a month just to edit this shizz, soo ... 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Happy 10th, Nerd Fitness! It was 10 years ago in March our Rebel Commander started this little corner of the Internets we’ve all found a home in. Let’s celebrate that decade-long accomplishment by branching out, not sitting on our collective laurels, and pushing the envelope just a bit more. 

I know I call for a return of the Hype Train(TM) often, but dammit, I miss my train. I *miss* the overhype we used to have around here - the breakneck speed at which (6 week) challenges flew, the community engagement ... /getsmistyeyed 

As so many others are doing, let’s take a look back at my NF journey. Warning: Shit gets mushy and I’m not re-reading it or I’ll start deleting the mush. Could be rambly and make zero sense. I promise nothing. 

Ooh. I should cop out and spoiler this next bit, but I won't because it's probably cringey and that's how I roll: uncomfortably. 

Challenge 1 https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22780-first-challenge-darkfoxx/

My first challenge was in January of 2013, right after I decided I was tired of using the holidays as an excuse to completely feel like a slug every January.

I remember being fed up, and sitting in my little bedroom office in Brooklyn - freezing my ass off because that apartment was so cold in the winter it was (barely) legal - and Googling something along the lines of Nerd Fitness. This was right after a chat with my DH (Darling Husband for those of you new to my exposition), where he floated the idea of a support network, I scoffed at it, and went about finding one anyways. He thought I could benefit from having people to talk to about fitness that wasn’t him; I thought that (fitness) realm wasn’t really for me and that everyone would be lame af and we wouldn’t have anything in common. 

Oh boy was I ever wrong. 

I remember how I felt when I found that first article Steve wrote - don’t remember what it was, but I remember feeling like someone could finally maybe see me - maybe not with that article, and maybe not him specifically, but it was enough to get my hella introverted IRL (at that point I was basically a hermit and only ever talked to my DH in person) self to feel comfortable putting herself out there - especially in a realm I still found terrifying. 

My challenge was only 2 goals long, and they are goals that have carried forward in some form for all 63 of my challenges: moving my body and eating right. 

I was already working out a bit (thanks to the Nintendo Wii, I’d already lost a fair bit of weight), and had sloooooooowly started unpacking all things food and brain related. This first challenge, I focused on 4x a week workouts - alternating the NF bodyweight exercises with my first foray into non-Nintendo yoga: Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. Which I loved. And would still legit do, no matter how much she annoys me. 

And paleo. eating paleo consistently, finding ways to cut down my meat consumption, and eating more veg. Sound familiar? 

Awwww … looking back at this challenge, my first few commenters - whom I will be forever grateful to - have fallen by the wayside (hello @tekilla @vic-torus @bagpipenebula @Slosh - come back!), but my girl @Fonzico was there from page 1, cheering me on. Hey, girl! We were so cute and young! 

Since then, and here’s where I squirm in my seat because shit gets mushy, I’ve found immeasurable worth in my community. The friendships I’ve formed here have gotten me through some dark shit, and have given me the confidence to do some crazy ambitious shit - like that year I did, what? 16 medal-winning races/rucks/OCRs, or the fact that I smashed my shell to do my first OCR at all and found a huge love for the sport. The SPORT. That the girl who used to practice lying still on a fainting couch - and ate just enough to not land in the hospital - and refused to break a sweat (whose body was only hydrated and nourished enough to barely actually do that) found that she LOVED. 

And I hella wouldn’t gotten to that place without y’all. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate carrying on tedious conversations with fitnessy people (even yoga people) IRL, and have like ZERO tolerance for dumbassery; so being able to have a safe home where I can be my F-bomby, snarky, side-eye of judgement self (and where I can totally get called out on my own BS in like 3 seconds), is something I hold SUPER FUCKING DEAR. I loves y’all, and I loves what Steve has built here. 

So thanks, Steve. Lots. 

And that’s not all! My first and main love will always be the Forums and I’ll champion them until the Internet dies - to anyone that shows anything other than open hostility to the first three words I say on the subject. Repeatedly. 

I’ve taken part in NF Yoga, and started down the Rings & Handstands path (mostly because any time the Crew put up a chance to send some lucre their way I was All Frickin On It - because I can’t express how much I’ve gotten out of this free service and want to help in any way possible). And the Facebook groups. 

And then there were IRL meetups. That were terrifying but awesome and where I met some rad-ass people (hello @Raxie;@rowan  I MISS YOUR DAMN FACE COME BACK WE NEED HYPE).

AND CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMP. Where I had the privilege of giving back to my community by serving as a Wizard. And meeting so many of my friends in meat space. With actual hugs. And already knowing the actual them. And making new friends. Who I have legit seen IRL. I can’t think about Camp without getting mistily maudlin. That shit was transformative, yo. 

AND A NERD FITNESS WEDDING TAKEOVER. WEEKEND. @Taaaaaaaaaank  @Tanktimus the Encourager what’s this season’s Shiner? 

And people who know my drama and accept it encouraging me to learn new scary skills (*cough* Ranger Jedi Master @EricMN *cough*). Then lending a shoulder and giving me space through that whole next year of BS and then a difficult move. 

Internet friends aren’t real friends, my ass. I know a ton of Rangers (and now Druids) - an ENTIRE REBELLION ACTUALLY that would BEG TO DIFFER. And my DH. And half my other friends, TBH. TAKE THAT, OLD (guard) PEOPLE. TAKE THAT, EMPIRE (tho your fashion choices are on point). 

/END MUSHINESS. EEEWWWWWWWWWW

*shake*

Errr. Ummmm … #soexposedrn

Back to business. 

And Poiiiiiiiiints. Because: American, and we like points (which is something that fascinates my non-(this type of) nerdy and European friends to no end). 

This community is only as strong as its members, and as such - I’m laundry-listing this challenge. And remembering to keep all my goals in sight this cycle. 

Old Business

• Not eating like an asshole (eating intuitive-ish with a look toward limiting the overall quantity of food I eat while watching the pain level that certain foods create); I will be documenting meals with pics for year 2 of a 365 project, and will be collating a list of current go/no-go foods in an effort to work more veggies back into my diet. I miss veggies. I don’t miss pain. 

• Yoga 365 project - Daily 15 minutes+ of either yoga or meditation/breathing exercises (or as long as I can muster on the latter). I’ll be sharing weekly wrap up pictures here for that as well. 

• Keeping at least 1 current craft going (at the moment, I’m knitting a busywork shawl, knitting a baby blanket, and waiting on the final supplies for a quilt). Pics of course when I finish a project and more information than you want during. 

• Cultivating my current support network and actively recruiting more. This cycle I’ll be experiencing the downside of expat life - friends moving. I’ll be losing at least 3 friends in February/March to the four corners of the Earth, and that’s going to be hard. I need to allow for that hardness - that time of grief (especially for 1; my local bestie is leaving for a country it’s not currently easy for me to visit), and move on. My monthly drunk brunch group is most likely dissolving with these two leaving (we’ll be down to 5 OG members; 1 of which is actually reliable at attending our monthly fetes), and that’s going to take one of my set social days out of my weekly calendar - that’s mostly ok, for the moment at least I’ve replaced my weekly Wednesday breakfast with a rousing Detox Yoga class. But still ... I’m going to need to address this issue sooner rather than after I’ve refused to get off the couch or take a shower for 3 days in a row. 

• Dog Training - The home training is going fairly-well; the wiens understand (mostly) that we don’t want them to lose their everloving minds every time someone is in the hallway, and they’ve (mostly) stopped singing when locked in the bedroom while I’m out. We do, however, need to continue to work on Odin’s leash manners - his anxiety, panic attacks at seeing other dogs and not being able to play with them all - and his pulling. OMFG the pulling. Such strength for 7 kilos, you’d think he was training to singlehandedly win the Iditarod. We have 1 private training session left and a good few group sessions to attend. We need to go to those, and continue to work with him daily. I need to get better at this - currently, I suX0r at it and DH has it down pat. I need to suck less. 

New Business

• Because of all this impending turmoil, I’m feeling a loss of control. Happily, this loss is taking the form of wanting to do a big ole’ purge. I’ve been feeling uneasy about the amount of - things - I’ve let creep back into my life for awhile now and I feel like I’m at odds with my wardrobe again. Since I like a good long-term challenge and feel like I may need to be strong-armed into not sewing allthethings (especially impractical things) clothing-wise (like, when would I actually *wear* a corset in my current life? How many historical skirts do I need? Do I need more 50s dresses? What about weirdo structural pieces? Do I actually need any of those?), let’s do a 333 challenge: 33 articles of clothing only (aside from underpinnings, athletic and swimwear) for 3 months. I’ll at least start it this challenge by reviewing and documenting what I have, and I’ll report on the outcome. This challenge should shoot me riiiiiiight through at least 1 holiday and into the beginnings of Summer - when things get interesting. I’m curious to see if I can make it work without blowing my 7 kilo carry-on rule or melting in the heat. 

• Mini challenge (either all-guild) or Druid-specific. I’m writing these goals out hella early, and it remains to be seen whether we are doing an all-guild dealie, or if we are reviving Druid-specific minis. Do that. Whatever *that* is. EDIT: The all-guild mini has shaped up, and I think y’all will like it. I’m excited about it. 

Scoring & Reporting 

Points are fun, so let’s go back to scoring. Most of my goals are daily, so scoring will take the shape of ‘x of 7’. A few are more esoteric, and will be more of a ‘did I do X thing by the end of Challenge? 

Food

POD x of 7

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snack

Anything try to kill me?

Yoga 365

What did my practice look like today? 

X of 7

Crafts

Current Project(s):

What did I work on today? 

X of 7

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week?

Did I work toward it? 

X of 7

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? 

X of 7

Clothing

Have I done an assessment?

Have I pared to 33 items?

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? 

X of 7

• Like 8

Hello there. I'll never forget checking in to camp and you looking up and seeing several of us and screaming as you ran around the table to hug us.

I'll also never forget you ringing the bells at our wedding. For everyone else, some old lady who was coordinating things with the church we used for our wedding said to make sure and get some "big strong man" to pull the rope to ring the bells when we recessed at the wedding. This instantly raised my ire and I thought right away of darkfoxx as someone to show this old lady that gender stereotypes are NOT COOL.

Also:

aTDO6tY.jpg

and since you asked:

shiner-smore-2019.png

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

🥰 Ummm ... yeah. I forgot I was supposed to be anything but out-of-my-Damn-mind excited at checkin.

Also hella beyond honored to help celebrate your big day: bonus gender stereotype smash! W00t! 

And S’mores Shiner?!?!?!?! DO WANT!!!!!

• Like 4

Monday

Food

POD 1 of 7

Breakfast: Skipped

Lunch: My usual grocery store sushi + some low sugar branny biscuit things

Dinner: Bombay chutney hash with beyond meat bratwurst & egg

Snack: 2 more servings of those damn biscuits; 1 with peanut butter

Anything try to kill me? Not as such, just a bit of manageable gas

Yoga 365

Slow flow class this morning and talking to the fill-in instructor about: learning to acknowledge, address, and be kind to ourselves about limitations; the joys of hiking poles; that knee braces aren’t the devil; and that when the air is crunchy and the asthma is kickin’, maaaaaybe a dust mask wouldn’t be the worst sartorial choice.

Bought a refill on my Nasonex, an aggressive knee brace, and a dust mask on the way home.

Crafts

Current Project(s): Baby blanket, busywork shawl

What did I work on today? Baby blanket

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? Tuesday group, spending as much time I can with friend who is leaving, attending a farewell dinner for another, considering speaking to someone at yoga

Did I work toward it? I did, actually. Spoke to a woman after class - and the instructor. 

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? Not as such. The air was crunchy outside today and I was waffling about in my new brace. 

Clothing

Have I done an assessment? Nope

Have I pared to 33 items? Nope

Current hope here is to do the assessment Week 3 

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? It’s a bit early for hype, but I interacted with my friends and community

F3135FD6-CECD-4478-8E13-75FC06E19A14.jpeg

475B57BB-D0B8-4250-BEC2-555552E9C7BE.jpeg

• Like 6

Reading about the camp makes me sad I missed out on the opportunity :( But, of course, happy that those of you who did get to participate had so much fun :D 

• Like 2

Tuesday

Food

POD 

Breakfast: Avo smash 

Lunch: Leftover beyond meat bratwurst + egg + green beans 

Dinner: Leftover Bombay chutney chimichurri cauliflower with chili spiced tuna, cherry tomatoes & cucumber

Snack: Another serving of those biscuits with peanut butter 

Anything try to kill me? Not terribly; still trying to blow the pups out the bed a bit (I’m relatively certain it’s the cauliflower)

Yoga 365

Functional movement class today focusing on hip flexor range of movement. It was National Sports Day (meaning lots of people are off, fitness places offer free classes & there are a ton of outdoorsy events happening), so the studio was packed.

I also walked an hour to coffee group & an hour home in hella wind - and walked to and from yoga; the latter half supporting Miss Priss who refused to use her own bones for support while in her little backpack sling and trying to get Senior Asshead to quit playing sled dog - all in crazy winds while semi freezing: it was a sight to behold, I’m sure.

Did my big walk in my knee brace though, so that’s good. 

Crafts

What did I work on today? Baby blanket - I think I’ll definitely finish by the weekend. 

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? Coffee group, talk in yoga, Going away dinner, bff time 

Did I work toward it? Yes! Walked to and from coffee group with the bestie, talked to people and didn’t even murder an anti-vaxxer/life and wellness coach - or point out her multiple logic flaws. I exercised temporary restraint. This time, though she spits some absolute bullshit on a semi-consistent basis and sets my teeth to edge. 

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? Yep. Odin did great the first third of the way home - then shit fell completely apart for all of us. The way out was rough. 

Clothing

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? I spent time supporting my friends and community. 

3FEB7A26-3ECE-4787-B4A9-D078BC347F76.jpeg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Reading about the camp makes me sad I missed out on the opportunity :( But, of course, happy that those of you who did get to participate had so much fun :D 

Same. Finally saved enough money to go & BAM! No more camp. 😔

Oh well, life goes on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Same. Finally saved enough money to go & BAM! No more camp. 😔

Oh well, life goes on.

Me, too tbh - I would have loved to go back as a camper with more free time 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

Looks like you starting off smoothly.

What are those rectangle crackers in your pictures?! They look tasty 

They were! They’re kind of like a cross between a graham cracker and a bran cracker. I’m bummed but not that I’m out so quickly! 

Wednesday 

Food

Breakfast: The last of my crackery things with peanut butter 

Lunch: The last of my Bombay churri salad

Dinner: 2/3 of my leftover Chinese/Indian noodles

Snack: None

Anything try to kill me? Whooooo, boy the dogs are going to be thrilled there’s no more cauliflower. 

Yoga 365

What did my practice look like today? Went to my detox class with the alignment based teacher I really like and missed and it was great as her classes always are. 

Crafts

What did I work on today? Baby blanket

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? Coffee group, talk in yoga, Going away dinner, bff time

Did I work toward it? Yes. Forgot to mentioning talking in yoga yesterday - talked to the instructor and at least said hi to another person in class both days, picked up two going away presents - chatted for awhile with the artist I picked a tea box up from.

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? Nope; it was 57 and hella windy today - I don’t think either of them pooped outside all day, preferring to go on the pad in the slightly less challenging weather inside. Poor babes. 

Clothing

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? Kept up with y’all 

7880F30C-136D-40F1-B44A-9B7E03B45D58.jpeg

• Like 5

I finished a thing! 

Knit chevron baby blanket in super chunky 80/20 washable and dryable yarn.

Took me what? 2 weeks? 

C7D5B33F-8D37-4C0B-A306-763104EF4E4F.jpeg

DE44689F-5F5F-433A-952C-ED35663C9D36.jpeg

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

23 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yay! Nice feeling finishing something, eh? :) 

Yes! I’m excite.

I also had to wash the walking skirt I finished a couple challenges ago - and it didn’t disintegrate. Lost a bar for one of the hook closures and had some edge fraying in the seams, but it’s held together well. Whoo! 

Now on to some of the other 7,009 projects I want to make.

• Like 4

Thursday 

Food

Breakfast: Leftovers in a Japanese-ish bowl

Lunch: Plantain chips

Dinner: BBQ buffet & bubbly

Anything try to kill me? More death farts in the am, but I seem to have worked all that out of my guts by the time I left for dinner. 
Did I eat like an asshole? Not terribly. Drank too much bubbly by a bit but managed to not gorge myself on buffet meats. Ate most of what was on my plates, but didn’t feel overfull. 

Yoga 365

What did my practice look like today? Breath work a bit throughout the day when I thought about it. 

Crafts

What did I work on today? Finished the baby blanket! 

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? Coffee group, talk in yoga, Going away dinner, bff time

Did I work toward it? Yes. Had the going away dinner and spent time with those friends.

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? We took a short and painful to me walk. Managed to utterly piss my right index finger bone off - just like the left, only stabbing and immediate pain instead of just standard pain. 

Clothing

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? Yep

C5EBCA43-B930-4A66-8EEA-8BBF21BB1235.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Drank too much bubbly by a bit

As in champagne (/prosecco/cava)? Or just carbonated water? I mean, just drinking anything carbonated can mess with your stomach sometimes. Especially if you drink too much of it. But if it was sparkling wine it can mess with more than just your stomach :P 

Ate most of what was on my plates

Exactly like you should do then! I hate people who fill up their plates and then only eat half of it, throwing the rest away. Such waste :( 

C5EBCA43-B930-4A66-8EEA-8BBF21BB1235.jpeg

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty sad looking lunch! I know you don't have the same baggage I do, so probably no damage done. But could I suggest some kind of protein source to go with the bananas(-ish) perhaps? Would for example peanut butter to dip in work with plantains?

Great that you got to spend some time with friends :) 

• Like 1

Champagne bubbly - this dinner was with my monthly wine group, and I’m happy to say I got home by 12:30. Would have hit the after party, but DH is out of town so I elected to snuggle the pups instead.

Lunch was the minimum amount of effort & calories to get me to dinner without going in full and overeating. Plantain chips aren’t the best idea, but they were what was in the house and in the appropriate quantity.

Today’s was better.

Friday

Food

Breakfast: Spelt noodles, frozen peas, chicken gyoza, furikake, sesame, togarishi, butter, coconut aminos

Lunch: Breakfast was at 11:30, so I skipped it

Dinner: The rest of the spelt noodles & peas, a can of chili tuna, a little butter & cashew parmesan

Anything try to kill me? No - the random stomach stab but nothing major

Did I eat like an asshole? No - could have used more veggies, but I was eating to clean the fridge/pantry

Also did a pantry audit because I’m annoyed at how many things that aren’t used quickly it contains

6e7716d1f52348006387ff7a1f5d3691.jpg

Yoga 365

What did my practice look like today? Seated yin practice with twists and really nice neck stretches

Crafts

Current Project(s): Openwork shawl

What did I work on today? Openwork shawl, packed some yarn and a needle so I can explore nalbinding (ancient needle knitting) while away

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? I’ve completed my weeks’ plan

Did I work toward it? Nope. Didn’t leave the house today

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? Nope.

Clothing

Have I done an assessment? No
Have I pared to 33 items? No

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? Yes

• Like 3

333!!!!! I've been doing a capsule closet for.... 7 (?) seasons now. I don't go quite as low as 33, but honestly it's awesome and such a game changer.

I miss my more capsuley wardrobe! I’ve still got my color palette going, but too many extraneous items have crept in.

Moved to Doha with 91 articles of clothing, outerwear & workout wear included.

We shall see how many items I’ve crept up to, but I can see definite holes, and I definitely have 2 season’s worth of considerations.

Sunday

Food

Breakfast: Buffet with DH - French toast with marmalade, scrambled eggs, paratha, hummus with lamb 

Lunch: DH wanted garbage American - had Dickie’s BBQ ( @Tanktimus the Encourager @Wolf is this actually Texan?) and some dry-ass brisket for a lunch I wasn’t even hungry for (one of those days)

Dinner: Hotel lounge food - a couple tortilla chips with salsa & guac; a bite of really good but cheese-laden beef burrito, a deconstructed chicken taco, whiskey diets. 

Anything try to kill me? Meh. A bit stabby stabby.

Did I eat like an asshole? Meh. 

Also on the meh train: we wanted to go see a movie but noooooo - were in the Apple store when I reached up to scratch my eyelid and accidentally caught my contact just wrong and flicked the damn thing right out my eye. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. Needless to say, my vision for the rest of the day was wrecked. 

Yoga 365

What did my practice look like today? Breath work going to happen before bed. Can’t do much more; DH is sawing tiny logs beside me. 

Crafts

Current Project(s): Shawl

What did I work on today? Nope

Support Network

What is my battle plan this week? Complete

Did I work toward it? If reuniting with and supporting DH was on it, yes. 

Dog Training

Did I work with the babes today? Didn’t see them but related the weeks anecdotes to DH. 

Clothing

Have I done an assessment? N

Have I pared to 33 items? N

Mini Challenge

Did I do my part to drive my car of this particular Hype Train? Caught up on threads 

2DEDFC49-27D7-48AB-8927-725B0CBCE1DA.jpeg

D1891794-E38D-4AC0-B91D-8FAB0A61A7CE.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

had Dickie’s BBQ ( @Tanktimus the Encourager @Wolf is this actually Texan?)

It is actually Texan, but it's not very good barbecue. It's sort of a low-end franchise. (Had some at an airport that reminded me more of dogfood than barbecue.)

• Like 1