• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rurik Harrgath

Cry Havoc: The Sanctum Parabellum™

7 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Mine are almost too heavy >_< probably could use a 35# KB for cardio until I'm strong enough to really use my 45#s (and save my 55# for heavy swings).

What measurement is that? Pounds?x

• Like 2

A little nostalgia trip from Camp Nerd Fitness 2016...

9dd56ccc1c454af1fdfd659dc0bdc7a6.jpg

I'm front row, left of center(ish) with the big pasty arms.

53 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey your class sounds brilliant.

And cant wait to see the home gym :) xx

Full reveal should only be a week or two away!

52 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm currently using a 15 # bell right now so I can get the movements down and get caught up with the Cardiovascular side of KB work. I have the strength to use bigger bells but not the engine.

If they weren't so bloody expensive I would have one of everything!  So many varied uses.  Even a 15# will do so much.

49 minutes ago, Salinger said:

What measurement is that? Pounds?x

Yes, the # symbol sometimes denotes lbs for weight measurement.  :)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Yes, the # symbol sometimes denotes lbs for weight measurement.  :)

Bloody hell, you are strong!!!!!! 

I have a 26 lb one and a 18lb one x

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Did you make that meme yourself?  Because if it existed independent of us, I AM BLOWN AWAY.

Same.

6 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Another group class today.  It's awesome learning combos and employing so many techniques at once, keeping the same pace as more established students.  Quite a contrast from my previous martial arts experiences; in Karate the new students were completely segregated and given 2-3 maximum new techniques to throw at the air (BORING) and my few Jiu Jitsu classes was rolling with experienced students knowing nothing (basically avoid tapouts as long as possible).  So it's been great to learn so much so quickly and constantly have feedback from a sparring partner or heavy bag, and the coach always nearby.

Totally understand your sentiment here. You can only get better by teaming up with a more advanced partner. Likewise, it's your responsibility to be the best partner you can for those less advanced than you (also a great lesson in humility and not being a smartass "trainer")

Learning how to hit things is awesome. Hell all I've done so far is slowly going through form and it feel awesome, if I even find a kickboxing class here the sheer size of my grin might split my face in half. 

23 hours ago, Terra said:

One of my new co-workers was singing this to himself the other day.   I think I shocked him when I turned around and asked if he was singing Diggy Diggy Hole!  LOL

LOL! That's awesome. You should of started singing it with him and just said with a straight face, "I, too, like to diggy diggy hole." hahahahaha

11 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

If they weren't so bloody expensive I would have one of everything!  So many varied uses.  Even a 15# will do so much.

Saaaaaaaaaame! I love my 35# and 45# ones. But if I could have them all, that would be ideal. Those 70+ pound ones are hefty AF!

Wolf

• Like 1

Came for the Rurik, staying around for the sexy font and formatting.   Er, strike that.. reverse?  Oh I am so confused now.   Everything is sexy and font-alicious!  Seriously... that font.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Bloody hell, you are strong!!!!!! 

I have a 26 lb one and a 18lb one x

Definitely not as strong as I used to be, but I'm excited for a new kind of strength.  My overarching theme for training in 2020 is Move Like A Leopard.  My favorite/spirit animal is the snow leopard, my Bengal kitten is snow leopard colored, and I love watching how felinids move.  It inspires me!  In CrossFit I was clunky and immobile despite being in the best shape of my life.  Now I want to move well and be flexible and agile and lightfooted, altogether moving better and as much like a supple leopard as I can. 

UnlinedLeadingIndianpalmsquirrel-size_re

Rockclimbing (my hangboard) and swinging kettlebells and Muay Thai all feel leopard-like to me.  Smooth and sinewy.

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Totally understand your sentiment here. You can only get better by teaming up with a more advanced partner. Likewise, it's your responsibility to be the best partner you can for those less advanced than you (also a great lesson in humility and not being a smartass "trainer")

It's also a bonus that we can help each other remember the order of that 8-technique combo the coach gave us before walking away... 🤣

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Learning how to hit things is awesome. Hell all I've done so far is slowly going through form and it feel awesome, if I even find a kickboxing class here the sheer size of my grin might split my face in half. 

God I love kicking.  Never had any interest in boxing it self, but kickboxing brings out my Jean-Claude Van Damme childhood fantasies.

1428507299-jcvd-9.gif?resize=480:*

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Saaaaaaaaaame! I love my 35# and 45# ones. But if I could have them all, that would be ideal. Those 70+ pound ones are hefty AF!

I've swung a 70# a few times in Rx+ CrossFit workouts.  The burn is real!

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Came for the Rurik, staying around for the sexy font and formatting.   Er, strike that.. reverse?  Oh I am so confused now.   Everything is sexy and font-alicious!  Seriously... that font.  

Always pleased to provide any measure of sex appeal.  ;)

If you got it, font it.

I like to font it font it.  I like to font it font it.  I LIKE TO.  FONT IT.  B)

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

God I love kicking.  Never had any interest in boxing it self, but kickboxing brings out my Jean-Claude Van Damme childhood fantasies.

I feel like you need a lot of balance and that fascinates me (plus it's probably the only thing I'd be able to find here where I am when I just want to hit things).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

1428507299-jcvd-9.gif?resize=480:*

5 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I feel like you need a lot of balance and that fascinates me (plus it's probably the only thing I'd be able to find here where I am when I just want to hit things).

As someone who's kicked for many many years can confirm both of these statements are accurate.  Pivoting into a perfectly placed kick of any sort just makes you feel like an ABSOLUTE BADASS.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, loire said:

Pivoting into a perfectly placed kick of any sort just makes you feel like an ABSOLUTE BADASS.

Oh yea.  (Problem is that the next one isn't usually so rewarding ....)

• Like 3

c495dee75f232078408583c34d1523b2.png [Sanctum Parabellum Quest Log]

Challenge Journal:  The 13th February, 2020CE.

My mood is a little flat today.  No good reason, just a little off - not even a depressive episode as far as I can tell.  I'm often melancholic, occasionally fully sad, but today I'm just flat like an overcast day or a sail without wind to fill it.  That is okay, I understand, and I hope giving it words might lift the burden (or at least my spirits).  Now that it has substance, has shape, maybe tomorrow will treat me to a better experience, and if not I will at least go about my day in the kindest, most meaningful manner possible.  I will breathe.  Fill my lungs. Find a moment of stillness, and know "this too shall pass."

I don't love this about myself.  This moodiness.  Inconsistency.  These inexplicable melancholies.  But not loving part of me feels a little too much like not loving me and if I don't love me in my bizarre, quirky wholeness, how can I ever feel truly at peace?  Alas, to know this is to know me.  Experience is sharable if not transferable.

Sadly also one of the hooks for my heavy bag bent and it fell during a push kick for today's lazy home workout.  Not the end of the world as I have a spring and anchor coming from Amazon soon. It's also really cold out today.

For now I will treat myself with unconditional kindness and warmth, allowing myself to watch silly YouTube videos which aren't intellectually wholesome for once, and just kill time until I make my protein cookies to end another Intermittent Fasting window.

Tomorrow is a new day.

tumblr_nvf2lm00dD1uc0ni3o1_500.gifv

• Apothecarium (Nutrition):  ☑☑☑☑☐☐☐
  • Monastery Maintenance (Clean):  ☑☑
  • Artifact Research & Armory (Training):  ☑☑☐.☐.
  • Chamber of Reflection (Self-care):  See above.
  • Librarium (Study):  Finished a Tiger Muay Thai documentary.

Ongoing To-Do mini-quests…

• Read:  [In Progress]  Most likely going with 13 Rules by TF Monkey.
  • Minimalism:  [20g]  Sold my snowshoes.
  •  Dr Appt: Scheduled for Mar 18. 

9 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

True, balance is tricky.  Thankfully kicks seem to come fairly naturally to me; learning proper footwork and stance should only increase my competence.

4 hours ago, loire said:

As someone who's kicked for many many years can confirm both of these statements are accurate.  Pivoting into a perfectly placed kick of any sort just makes you feel like an ABSOLUTE BADASS.

ObviousVillainousKingfisher-size_restric

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Oh yea.  (Problem is that the next one isn't usually so rewarding ....)

giphy.gif

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

My mood is a little flat today.  No good reason, just a little off - not even a depressive episode as far as I can tell.  I'm often melancholic, occasionally fully sad, but today I'm just flat like an overcast day or a sail without wind to fill it.  That is okay, I understand, and I hope giving it words might lift the burden (or at least my spirits).  Now that it has substance, has shape, maybe tomorrow will treat me to a better experience, and if not I will at least go about my day in the kindest, most meaningful manner possible.  I will breathe.  Fill my lungs. Find a moment of stillness, and know "this too shall pass."

I don't love this about myself.  This moodiness.  Inconsistency.  These inexplicable melancholies.  But not loving part of me feels a little too much like not loving me and if I don't love me in my bizarre, quirky wholeness, how can I ever feel truly at peace?  Alas, to know this is to know me.  Experience is sharable if not transferable.

Sadly also one of the hooks for my heavy bag bent and it fell during a push kick for today's lazy home workout.  Not the end of the world as I have a spring and anchor coming from Amazon soon. It's also really cold out today.

For now I will treat myself with unconditional kindness and warmth, allowing myself to watch silly YouTube videos which aren't intellectually wholesome for once, and just kill time until I make my protein cookies to end another Intermittent Fasting window.

Tomorrow is a new day.

ObviousVillainousKingfisher-size_restric

giphy.gif

Bro, there us such a depth of wisdom to this. It's awesome. I felt peaceful after reading it. I also wish I could be there to give you a hug, a fist bump, and a beer in those grey days. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Bro, there us such a depth of wisdom to this. It's awesome. I felt peaceful after reading it. I also wish I could be there to give you a hug, a fist bump, and a beer in those grey days. 

I know it's over done, but..  I agree with Tank™ -- this was beautiful.   It was also something I needed to hear.  Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

My overarching theme for training in 2020 is Move Like A Leopard.  My favorite/spirit animal is the snow leopard, my Bengal kitten is snow leopard colored, and I love watching how felinids move.  It inspires me!

Was watching those Perturbator/John Wick videos again just yesterday and it ocurred to me how fitting a Hotline:Miami themed challenge would be for you. Now I came here to say so and you had to say the part I quoted above, so now I'm all

hotline_miami_x_tekken_by_shamserg_d8lhu

17 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

God I love kicking.

11 hours ago, loire said:

Pft, words of people who've never experienced the murderous satisfaction of a well placed knee or elbow strike...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

but kickboxing brings out my Jean-Claude Van Damme childhood fantasies.

I once told my dad when I was around 5-6 years old that I wanted to change my name to Jean-Claude Van Damme, hahaha. I was OBSESSED with his movies back in the day!

Image result for jean-claude van damme gif

12 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Bringing things into the light is a good way to combat this enemy that has held you captive for so very long. Well spoken words, my friend. Each day is a challenge in its own and you seem to be doing what you can WHEN you can to prepare for the battle ahead. Like a good spartan warrior, I'm here to fight right beside you.

Image result for spartan shield wall gif

Wolf

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Pft, words of people who've never experienced the murderous satisfaction of a well placed knee or elbow strike...

Especially with knee strikes I feel like my entire body weight is going into it, so I can imagine if you actually had a target you were aiming at. :D Plus I can't pivot on my foot properly yet so it's the one lower body move that I know how to do.

Also, every single time I see this challenge I hear Marlon Brando go "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war." in my head. Kinda fun. :D

• Like 2

Much better mood and headspace today.  Went to Muay Thai, did some awesome drills and lots of heavy bag combos.  Met two new (to me) students.  Bruised my shins kicking.  Beat up a banana bag with knees.  Love it. 

tenor.gif

• Apothecarium (Nutrition):  ☑☑☑☑☑☐☐
  • Monastery Maintenance (Clean):  ☑☑
  • Artifact Research & Armory (Training):  ☑☑☑.☐.
  • Chamber of Reflection (Self-care): 
  • Librarium (Study):  

• Minimalism:  [20g]  Sold my snowshoes.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:17 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

23 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I know it's over done, but..  I agree with Tank™ -- this was beautiful.   It was also something I needed to hear.  Thank you for sharing this.

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Was watching those Perturbator/John Wick videos again just yesterday and it ocurred to me how fitting a Hotline:Miami themed challenge would be for you. Now I came here to say so and you had to say the part I quoted above, so now I'm all

Pft, words of people who've never experienced the murderous satisfaction of a well placed knee or elbow strike.

I love me some leopards in suits!

Murderous satisfaction... you're godamn right!

Godofredo-Pepey-vs.-Noad-Lahat.gif

ImperfectAntiqueAnemonecrab-size_restric

12 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

I once told my dad when I was around 5-6 years old that I wanted to change my name to Jean-Claude Van Damme, hahaha. I was OBSESSED with his movies back in the day!

I can't imagine we were along there!

source.gif

7 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Also, every single time I see this challenge I hear Marlon Brando go "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war." in my head. Kinda fun. :D

This is in mine...

But I think I like yours better.  ;)

• Like 7

Challenge Journal:  The 17th February, 2020CE.

Weight:  ? .  IF:  12:00 hrs .

Challenge is going swimmingly.  First real workout in my home dojo, 3 rounds of 2 minutes of heavy bag combos to start followed by 5 rounds of 8 reps each kettlebell swings and core strength, goblet squats, more swings and abs, push ups, more swings/abs, KB shoulder press, repeat.  Just shy of 17:00 and I think I'll hang onto this as a benchmark to try again in a month or so.

RoX9XeK.gif

I also want to kick it up a notch by adding weekly weigh-ins (to ensure I am making progress but not obsess over the # on my scale) and recording my Intermittent Fasting window through my updates.  Recently watched a Joe Rogan Podcast clip that talked about how any intake other than pure water, including tea or coffee or my BCAAs (my sole caffeine intake, ugh) will technically break an Intermittent Fasting window and thereby render the benefits moot.  So I want to push that boundary personally, and I will weigh-in tomorrow morning before work, unclothed and fasted.

• Apothecarium (Nutrition):  ☐☐☐☐☐☐.
  • Monastery Maintenance (Clean):  ☐☐☐
  • Artifact Research & Armory (Training):  ☐☐☐.☐.
  • Chamber of Reflection (Self-care):  About to relax and watch a movie.
  • Librarium (Study):  Today I learned about Ronin, masterless Samurai - a feeling I can relate to.

• Minimalism:  [24g]  Sold an old IKEA lamp today.
  • Like 4

On 2/15/2020 at 6:06 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

tenor.gif

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor in love gif

5 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

So I want to push that boundary personally, and I will weigh-in tomorrow morning before work, unclothed and fasted.

I can just feel the determination in here!

• Like 1