Spezzy Keeps Aiming to Even Lift a Polar Bear

spezzy

On 2/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, h3r0 said:

Use the lancet on the side of the finger, not the pad. Less pain and over time a weird callous builds up where you stick yourself over and over again that you really don't want on the pad of your finger. 

ha, yeah, thankfully the nurse at the doctor walked me through everything and that's where she suggested, too! I had no idea about a callous though, but it does make sense! Thanks for the tip :D

On 2/11/2020 at 2:06 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Here to follow and cheer!!! Glad you're modifying the lifting goal, sounds like a good modification based on what you're wanting from your body.

And really the end goal stays the same, and body moving together as one unit again can only help that end goal - just, pushes it off a little bit. But I want to do this for the rest of my life, so I'm willing to be patient to better my chances of that being a thing :)

On 2/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Following for general awesomeness, dog pictures, and introvert survival hacks

:D There have been not enough any of these yet so here is a dog pic, want to make sure you're not disappointed so far :D

21 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

holy hell, it's week zero and I'm exhausted just looking at your goals, I need a nap.

It should not be too hard to talk to strangers, as there's not that many out there stranger than us in here!

sorry for the bad dad joke, I'll see myself out.....

hahah i'll take dad jokes all day :)

One thing with looking at a lot of my goals is that they're either things that I'm doing anyway, and I just want to be more consistent / regimented about or are small modifications to things I'm doing anyway. So for example I'm already consistently going to the gym - but adding in my PT at the end is new. Or I'm already studying for my next certification, but I'd like to make it more consistent. So it looks like a lot, but really I'm just getting organized and making things "stick" :)

• Like 7
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
6 hours ago, spezzy said:

:D There have been not enough any of these yet so here is a dog pic, want to make sure you're not disappointed so far :D

Yaaaaas. Your dog is adorable. 1000% approve of more pictures

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ohhh, he looks too fluffy to be a real dog! So sweet. 

Sometimes I look at him and wonder but then he wiggles and bites my face and then I remember nope, puppy, not a teddy bear. 

We're going to the groomer tomorrow to trim his face and butt and feet (really goal is to start to introduce to the idea of the groomer) and I'd lie if I wasn't a tiny bit emotional about it, even though I've already shaved him once myself hahaha

15 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Yaaaaas. Your dog is adorable. 1000% approve of more pictures

Funny story: About a week after getting him I had to up my cloud photo storage because I had already gone through ALL of my free space and then some 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Making a tracker to use for weekly check-ins when everything starts Sunday :) 

DAILY S M T W R F S  
Lift - Physical Therapy / Stretches                
Life - Plan Tomorrow's Schedule                
Life - No phone in bed                
Social - Talk to real human                
Pupper - 3 Daily Walks                
Pupper - 2 Training Sessions                

A FEW TIMES A WEEK                
Lift - Strength (4x)                
Nutrition - Meal Prep (2x)                
Pupper - Field Trips (2x)                

WEEKLY                
Lift - Cardio                
Nutrition - New Recipe                
Life - Certification                
Life - Personal Project                

MISC                
Social - events (2x/challenge)                

• Like 4

Okay, so! This week was zero week so I started working on SOME but not all the things.

I'm not gonna officially score myself for the week, but:

Lifting - I made it to the gym Sunday, Wednesday, Friday, so 3x this week.

The goal will still be 4x a week moving forward, but last Friday I had a bit of a mishap in the gym and my CNS and hip still haven't fully recovered, so I've been honoring what my body wants.

Sunday I did bodyweight squats and some overhead
Wednesday I did floor press, feet up bench, and muscle-ups:

Last night I tried to Safety Bar Squat but even just the bar was too heavy for my hip, so I did a bunch of 20lb goblet squats, pull-ups,  and focused mainly on my rehab work.

I also decided that with all of this going on, I'll really focus on leveling up my bodyweight exercises and my bodyweight form, so worked on hollow position on the pull-ups and making my handstand walks less banana back (toes pointed, legs together, slower walking).

Today or tomorrow I will have my plan for lifting for the week done, so I know exactly what I need to do each day and all I have to do is follow the plan. This will help a lot with not feeling bad about the things I need to stay away from right now, too, because I'll have a list of things that I can do written down already :)

Along with that I'm going to make a list of what PT movements/stretches to do each day, because then I don't have to go look them up on my PT spreadsheet which is for some reason a barrier for me.

Food -
I made a chicken curry this week for my new recipe, and while someone who can actually make curry would probably hate it, I didn't think it turned out that bad :)
Meal prep was lax, I'll do better with that this week! Will order groceries today for first thing delivery tomorrow and do that.

I've also been testing my blood sugar which has been interesting to say the least! I am really interested in data so have been probably having too much fun seeing what foods affect me how, hah.

Take Care of Myself -

This one was hard this week. I actually have been looking for a therapist in my area that is covered by my insurance, and been having a ton of bad luck. There is not a single person covered by my insurance within a 40 minute drive that is taking new patients with my insurance, and my insurance rejected my request for them to pay for someone closer because there are people "within 15 miles" - but what they don't understand is that all of those miles are 25mph super windy through the woods roads.

I have a bit of trauma from when I was struggling with bulimia and I couldn't get a therapist to help me, so this brought up some really bad feelings and sent me into some panic attacks.

So I finally decided yesterday to do the app therapy, at least for the moment. I'm moving in 2 months anyway, and where I'm moving to will have more options in person, so I feel like this is one of those "don't let perfection get in the way of progress" things.

I also went to the doctor on Monday (regular doctor) and got some referrals, so I'm going to be making those appointments this week.

So the doctors stuff was my main focus. I did not do great at phone in bed or planning my schedule, but I'll start that up this week.

Talking to Humans -

I did this 4 out of 5 days this week, and will do it today, and tomorrow will be easy because I'll be out.

I ended up deciding to do a drive by compliment for last night's human interaction and it ended up going over really well, so that was a positive experience!

Evolving - 

I did focus on life project, but not on cert. Cert  work will happen next week, though!

Pupper -

I'm gonna say this one was a success, even though it was raining most of the week and we didn't get outside as much as we'd like, and my hip has been in a ton of pain so walks have been a bit shorter.  He kicked butt in class on Thursday (obviously) so that was great, though we've got the final class and "exam" next week and I'm not sure he'll pass because he is still iffy about letting me touch his feet and ears (we're working on it daily!). We'll see!

That's really it! Looking at apartments tomorrow and I'm trying to get excited about that :)

Happy end of zero week, nerds!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

This one was hard this week. I actually have been looking for a therapist in my area that is covered by my insurance, and been having a ton of bad luck. There is not a single person covered by my insurance within a 40 minute drive that is taking new patients with my insurance, and my insurance rejected my request for them to pay for someone closer because there are people "within 15 miles" - but what they don't understand is that all of those miles are 25mph super windy through the woods roads.

This part made me hurt a little. It is extremely frustrating how insurance companies sometimes become the reason we can't get the medical care we need.

I hope the app therapy works out for you!  It might even have benefits that in-person therapy wouldn't give you? For one, now that you won't have to drive 40 minutes in either direction to get to your appointment, scheduling will be a lot easier, and your hip might thank you as well. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

I agree with Scalyfreak. I didn't realize the upcoming move was a definite thing. Are you prepared to share where you're going (Or as you might surmise, rule out the one place I care about ;))?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I got sucked in, but of course I'm not sad because Spezzy (and Felix, HELLO?)

I'm sorry you're having trouble locating a therapist that's covered. Insurance can be so frustrating. We just got through a 9 month wait for one of the kids to see a Neuropsychologist because there are only 2 in town covered by our insurance that see kids. UGH.  It sucks.

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge

22 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This part made me hurt a little. It is extremely frustrating how insurance companies sometimes become the reason we can't get the medical care we need.

I hope the app therapy works out for you!  It might even have benefits that in-person therapy wouldn't give you? For one, now that you won't have to drive 40 minutes in either direction to get to your appointment, scheduling will be a lot easier, and your hip might thank you as well. 

Yeah - this is talkspace, but the big downside is that it's all text based - I definitely do better actually talking to someone, so we will see! They had a big sale last week so at least the first month is affordable. I definitely can not fit an hour and a half of driving to get to appointments into my day, so this is really the best option right now so gonna make the most of it :)

And I wish that this wasn't the first time I've had this experience with therapists - I signed up for a "better" plan this year because it covers more, but wishing I hadn't. Back when I was in TX I had a high copay plan that was cheaper, and I found a therapist that didn't take my insurance, but his fee was only $5 more than my copay - which I could afford because i wasn't paying super high insurance premiums.

When I was in Massachusetts, and desperately needed to see someone, I had one of the therapists tell me that my bulimia wasn't "serious enough" for her to see me because her plate was so full, and that maybe if I had been hospitalized she could make room for me, which, of course, is not something anyone should say to anyone, and I'm really proud of making a medical doctor appointment (that was the only place I could get in with) instead of just saying "well, let's get worse so I can get help".

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree with Scalyfreak. I didn't realize the upcoming move was a definite thing. Are you prepared to share where you're going (Or as you might surmise, rule out the one place I care about ;))?

This move will be a local-ish move :)

17 hours ago, Haikoo said:

I got sucked in, but of course I'm not sad because Spezzy (and Felix, HELLO?)

I'm sorry you're having trouble locating a therapist that's covered. Insurance can be so frustrating. We just got through a 9 month wait for one of the kids to see a Neuropsychologist because there are only 2 in town covered by our insurance that see kids. UGH.  It sucks.

9 months?? that's entirely too long! I hope after that kind of wait it's at least helpful! Sooooooo frustrating :( :( :( ALSO HAI KOO

• Like 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 4
5 minutes ago, spezzy said:

When I was in Massachusetts, and desperately needed to see someone, I had one of the therapists tell me that my bulimia wasn't "serious enough" for her to see me because her plate was so full, and that maybe if I had been hospitalized she could make room for me, which, of course, is not something anyone should say to anyone, and I'm really proud of making a medical doctor appointment (that was the only place I could get in with) instead of just saying "well, let's get worse so I can get help".

...and that made me angry. Holy shit, what an unprofessional and cruel thing to say! And something to be proud of, that you didn't let it stop you from getting help.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

This move will be a local-ish move :)

giphy.gif

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

20 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

...and that made me angry. Holy shit, what an unprofessional and cruel thing to say! And something to be proud of, that you didn't let it stop you from getting help.

It still makes me angry, and what makes me even more angry about it is that there are a lot of people like that still practicing. It definitely took a bit of time before I was able to get the strength to ask for help after that, and I'd be lying if part of my rationale with going to my medical doctor was that maybe I could get a doctor's note saying that my case WAS serious enough - but instead my doctor told me what she had done was incredibly wrong and was extremely supportive in helping to get me moving in the right direction.

She also told me that my case was serious enough to get into a residential program if that's what I wanted, but after having some really long conversations with her (longer than I'd ever expect from a medical doctor, to be honest) - and her explaining some super hard truths to me about what I was doing to my body, I was able to change directions on my own. I ended up not having the courage to try another therapist until a few years later, when I was down to only purging about once a month (instead of multiple times a day).

(Also, thank you :) I'm super proud of moving forward after that, too)

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

giphy.gif

I knowwwww but being close to family needs to be a super high priority right now. My Mom said maybe that if we end up back in TX, in 5-10 years she'll sell her house and move, too, though!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spezzy said:

I knowwwww but being close to family needs to be a super high priority right now. My Mom said maybe that if we end up back in TX, in 5-10 years she'll sell her house and move, too, though!

I'll take it. 

Heyyy I went to the gym today and actually had a good session. My hip is still painful to squat on, but I can use it, so just worked around that. 

STARTED with my rehab work to get that out of the way. Then: 

5 rep push press starting from the floor --> did 55, 60, 65, 70kg

Snatch Pull + Power Snatch --> did a ton here, from 40-50kg

Pull-ups: Weighted - work up to a 1rm, did +5, +10, +15, +20, +25, +30, +35, +40, +45 (my previous max was 25, this is a huge milestone PR):

Then I took 80% of that for weight which ended up being just bodyweight and did 3x5

Then knees to elbow 3x10

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Congrats on the pullup PR!

Okay! Today's workout:

Rehab movements

Bench Press 3x3 at 187

Russian Dip - 10's

Regular dips - weighted 3's up to +35lb

then bodyweight 8's

dumbbell bench

dumbbell flyes

seated db overhead

waiter's walks

tricep pressdowns

• Like 7
On 2/20/2020 at 2:47 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

AHHH YESSS that pullup PR has to feel good!!

Yeah! Especially since it was unexpected and something I've been working towards for forever :)

20 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Oooo. I like that Russian dip variant. Seems like a great way to work up to a full muscle up instead of flailing unsuccessfully on rings. 

haha yeah, only - I could do a strict muscleup before a single, unassisted russian style dip. BUT much easier to modify IMO

On 2/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, spezzy said:

Making a tracker to use for weekly check-ins when everything starts Sunday :) 

DAILY S M T W R F S  
Lift - Physical Therapy / Stretches X X   X   X    
Life - Plan Tomorrow's Schedule             X  
Life - No phone in bed                
Social - Talk to real human X X X X X X X  
Pupper - 3 Daily Walks X X X X X X X  
Pupper - 2 Training Sessions     X   X   X  

A FEW TIMES A WEEK                
Lift - Strength (4x) X   X   X   X  
Nutrition - Meal Prep (2x)                
Pupper - Field Trips (2x)         X      

WEEKLY                
Lift - Cardio                
Nutrition - New Recipe         X      
Life - Certification                
Life - Personal Project             X  

MISC                
Social - events (2x/challenge)                

Okay, so I'm a day late on week 1 update, but:

Week one didn't go great but also didn't go terrible. 

Felix was extremely sick most of the week, so a lot of the week was spent cleaning him up, cleaning my place up, taking him outside, making his food - blah. But he's better now, thankfully! He finished Puppy school Thursday and even got a certificate :D 

Got my 4x a week strength in and did PT at all of those sessions, but failed to do it outside of there. I did, however, move Felix's crate so I have a spot so I can easily do them without clearing away a place.

Food prep did not happen - in fact, I let the food I bought to prep go bad :(  But I did make a new recipe!

I HAVE talked to a human in person every single day though, and was proud of myself for making sure it happened on days I wasn't sure. 

I did use phone in bed but I charged my kindle and have a physical book on my nightstand so this is the night!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Awww poor Felix. :(

What was the new recipe you tried? And was it tasty? 

I made a pasta with alfredo sauce and bacon and shrimp and peas :D It was great but glutens soooooo not going to make it again.