• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

A couple of challenges ago I applied to a local amateur cycling team.  Last challenge they rejected* me in favor of younger, hipper riders.  We all know what comes next, a rag tag team of misfits trains hard and gets it's revenge.  This is the part where the training montage happens.

Grinds/ Strength Day -  2 or 3 days a week

Double Racked Squat 

KB Rows

Double KB Cleans

Push Ups - I prefer OH Press, but my shoulders are weak and fragile.

Hanging Knee Raise or Hanging Leg Tuck

Ballistics Day - once or twice a week

KB Swings, I might experiment with snatches.

Cycling - 3 days a week, an hour each is the bare minimum standard

Probably all on the indoor trainer in front of terrible movies.

Yoga/ Mobility - I hate yoga so much, I have to figure something out here.

*I seriously can not fathom why they are limiting participation at all.

Non-Fitnessing Stuff

Keep using a daily planner to make sure I'm not neglecting anything important.

Keep the checkbook balanced.

Here's a re-post of my introduction from the holiday challenge:

• I like bullet points

• I love big quads (and glutes)

• I’ve been around NF forever, almost as long as @Elastigirl so long ago that if you emailed support @Steve answered.

• I’m in my second half-century

• I’m not as fast as I used to be

• I’m 100% slow-twitch (hence the name) so I never was fast anyway

• I teach sixth grade science in a city public school, I’m adequate 

• I have a better wife and kids than I deserve

• In the summer I love to do marathon mountain bike races

• In the winter I like to do nothing

• Those last two facts are incompatible 

• I like working out with kettlebells, sandbags, and sledgehammers. Also battle ropes, but I don’t have one

• I seem to witness or experience more than my fair share of minor odd events 

• we foster sad-sack dogs and get them adoptable

• I don’t like the challenge system and instead tend to write about any of the above items plus tacos. 

And here's a re-post of my apparently premature re-cap of the last 8 years of fitnessing (thanks for the reminder @loire ).

• When I got here I was at least 205# /93kg (I quit looking at the scale after 200); race weight is 168# / 76kg.

• I couldn't bike more than a couple miles without stopping even at the cities' easiest trail.

• I tried weightlifting.  It wasn't helpful.

• I learned the ways of the sledgehammer, I got fitter and stronger and leaner.

• I learned the ways of the kettlebell, I got more stronger.

• I got back in shape, mostly.

• My first race back I was approximately 397th out of 400.  They were packing up the venue when I came in.

• My mom, aunt (second mom), FIL all died of cancer the same year.  I spent a year just sitting in hospitals, nursing homes, and living rooms.  My body was so jacked up from constantly sitting that I couldn't walk down stairs and one day I fell down them.

• I started doing yoga in fits and starts.

• I started getting back in shape.

• I blew out my back and broke a knuckle the same summer.

• I got back down to race weight.

• I started playing D&D again.

• I got fast enough to finish in the middle of the pack again.

• Somewhere in here I went to Texas and met a bunch of cool nerds.  I've also had the pleasure of hanging out with @The Most Loathed , @Bearlee , and met up with the Minnesota nerds.

• I crashed on my head hard and spent most of the next month napping and avoiding bright lights.

• My brain got wonky, I quit working out so much and lost fitness.

• My weight went back up (currently down to 183#).

• Somewhere in here I did several hammer races.  Hammer Racing with @EricMN , @Rooks , @The Most Loathed , @Shello are lifetime fitness highlights.

• I got an unofficial 3rd place at an underground 24hr road race.

• My team got 3rd place in a 24hr. mountain bike race - after a million years I finally podiumed.

• I'm getting in shape again.

Thanks for all of the support nerd friends.

• Like 23

Sloth I hate that cycling team SO MUCH.  I hate them SO much that I'm half tempted to buy a bike, train, and come out there to do donuts in their parking lot and TP their lawns and put sticks in their wheel spikes so they fall over and skin their precious widdle knees.

.... Phewoksorry I still have a BURNING VENGEANCE for those losers.....

rubbing-hands-together-gif-birdman-1-1.g

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I'm looking forward to watching those Up-Their-Own-Arses cycling meanies's faces when your rag tag bunch of misfits team wipes the floor with them. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, loire said:
Sloth I hate that cycling team SO MUCH.  I hate them SO much that I'm half tempted to buy a bike, train, and come out there to do donuts in their parking lot and TP their lawns and put sticks in their wheel spikes so they fall over and skin their precious widdle knees.

.... Phewoksorry I still have a BURNING VENGEANCE for those losers.....

rubbing-hands-together-gif-birdman-1-1.gif

You know, I don’t really do emotions very well. It’s nice that you’re here for me.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, deftona said:

I'm looking forward to watching those Up-Their-Own-Arses cycling meanies's faces when your rag tag bunch of misfits team wipes the floor with them. 

It’s going to be incredible.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

• I don’t like the challenge system and instead tend to write about any of the above items plus tacos. 

Here for more of these taco topics. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Why do you do yoga*? Is it mostly for your back (I vaguely remember something about that) or general mobility or other sport specific stuff?

*at least theoretically

• Like 1

Just .... stretch???  Or look up some of the mobility flow videos on YouTube??

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Seconded.

Also...

Having a husband the same age as you, who also still cycles (but not so much competitions), I am terrified for those young ones. They do not know what experience and wily minds can come up with. Go Team Sloth!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Maybe add a single stretch a week or challenge.... 

Just to do something. 

If it wasn't for my upper back pain I wouldn't naturally do upper body posture stretches. 

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

• Somewhere in here I did several hammer races.  Hammer Racing with @EricMN , @Rooks , @The Most Loathed , @Shello are lifetime fitness highlights.

Your battle log makes WAY more sense now.... 

Training montage part ❤️ 

Did you really say snatches? Me and snatches are in a love hate relationship you know. I have to spam you now, sorry.. 

This is maybe my favourite lifter of all time, I think she was the first woman to do 200 reps with 24kg in 10 minutes; 

And of course, had to find you a male role model ;)

How about this badass -63kg lifter who hit 200 with the 32kg, really fighting for it; 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Regarding that team of young jerks, I would tell them a saying of my father's.

A young man will fight you.

An old man will hurt you.

And Loire will mess you up.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:34 PM, Xena said:

Team Sloth all the way!

Woot Woot!

On 2/9/2020 at 8:36 PM, bigm141414 said:

Here for more of these taco topics. 

I had tacos from a taco truck tonight.  As Slothboy says, "You mean the tacos with all the good stuff on it?"  But they forgot the limes which made me sad.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, Xena said:

Why do you do yoga*? Is it mostly for your back (I vaguely remember something about that) or general mobility or other sport specific stuff?

*at least theoretically

My back was fragile point for a long time, maybe five years, and would go out and wreck me for long periods.  Which is why I started doing Yoga and kept doing it even though i hated it.  But my back has been solid for at least a year now.  The problem is too much biking jacks me up.  My shoulders get tight and gollum-like as do my hips and eventually everything hurts.  So basically I try to do it to make myself more resilient.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:08 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

This sounds stupid, but I don't really know how to stretch either.  I do a random mishmash of stuff for ten minutes before I train.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:57 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Having a husband the same age as you, who also still cycles (but not so much competitions), I am terrified for those young ones. They do not know what experience and wily minds can come up with. Go Team Sloth!

Hah.  Thanks.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Maybe add a single stretch a week or challenge.... 

Just to do something. 

If it wasn't for my upper back pain I wouldn't naturally do upper body posture stretches. 

Your battle log makes WAY more sense now.... 

I didn't know it was ever confusing.  If Hammer Racing ever happens again Imma recruit you since its in your neck of the woods.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, KB Girl said:

Training montage part ❤️ 

Did you really say snatches? Me and snatches are in a love hate relationship you know. I have to spam you now, sorry.. 

This is maybe my favourite lifter of all time, I think she was the first woman to do 200 reps with 24kg in 10 minutes; 

And of course, had to find you a male role model ;)

How about this badass -63kg lifter who hit 200 with the 32kg, really fighting for it; 

I really did say snatches.  However, you're going to be disappointed to find out that I'm going to do them all backwards (Hardstyle).  I've been experimenting.  A single -arm snatch with a 12 kg feels like it looks beautiful, like it just floats up there.  However, my heart rate stays in the mid 70's or 80's which isn't very useful for conditioning.  With a 16kg it feels raw and ugly and slams into my forearm, but my heart rate gets jacked up.  

On 2/10/2020 at 4:39 PM, analoggirl said:

I also second @loire's sentiment :D Although my first sentiment was like yours, huh, why limit participation?

Here for the training montage :) 

Welcome to my corner of the internet.

14 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Got some squad members for you, in case you need backup to rough up those young hipster bikers

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

They've got the look, but are they willing to do this?

• Like 5

2/11/20 Tuesday

I am swamped with work and the students are trying to give me a stroke...

The district is about to redistrict all the schools and close a bunch (we've been bleeding students to the charters for a while now).  I'm a terrible interviewer and I don't know that I will pick up a position when it happens.  In the past that would mean that I'd be placed somewhere as jobs and opening were sorted out and they started to call people back from layoffs.  However now that seniority rights have been done away with I will likely simply be let go of and if my school is shuttered I won't have anyone who would try to call me back.  

That was giving me a bit of an anxiety attack even though it'd be a year in the future, but I started thinking.  This will cause a lot of middle class flight and the charter schools will be hiring.  I really like teaching, but I'm in a very challenging position and something easier would be a good change for me.  The downside is a huge paycut, which also gave me anxiety.  However, we have a cheap mortgage that is fairly close to being paid off (we've lived in a starter neighborhood for 20 years) and a reasonable lifestyle.  We'd have to give up the yearly vacations and stick to camping, I'd have to give up the expensive bike races, and the kids might not be able to do all of the expensive classes and camps that they do.  However we had a bunch of friends over yesterday who can't afford to do all those things with their kids and they are good well-rounded kids.  So, for now, I'm at peace with the risk of a future personal financial crash.

Yesterday we had about half a dozen extra dogs and kids here because we had a doggo birthday party because of course we did.  I was not in the mood for socializing, but the kids and dogs had a great time.  It did remove my workout time though.  One of the guests was a teacher at my kid's school.  She told me that Slothgirl eats lunch at the "weird-kid" table and seemed to have a great time there.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me as she is about to enter middle-school.

Training:

I'm at 5X1,2,3,4,5 (75 reps per movement) and I've been putting it off.  Not because It's seems too hard or anything, but I imagine it will take a fair amount of time.  Today I started it in the morning, but only got two rounds in (30 reps each).  I thought I'd finish it after work, but stuff came up.  Tomorrow time will be tight too.

Thanks for listening nerd friends.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Sorry about the stressful job situation. You have good points though. If your charter school was less stressful, the less money  might not be that big of a deal

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the stressful job situation. You have good points though. If your charter school was less stressful, the less money  might not be that big of a deal

And you are a great teacher. Will keep you and future Sloth-family-work situation in my prayers.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the potential job stress - how likely is it this will happen? Do you have any ideas for alternative careers/jobs?

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

One of the guests was a teacher at my kid's school.  She told me that Slothgirl eats lunch at the "weird-kid" table and seemed to have a great time there

Did she actually use those words because that seems a little problematic 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Welcome to my corner of the internet.

Right! I have never really said anything on your thread, have I? Have the habit of thinking of reply, but then getting distracted & forgetting I did not post anything. Hello & thank you :) 

• Like 1

Glad you thought your way through the anxiety and found some peace :) Who knows, it might end up being a good thing.. 

I can't tell you how happy that makes me as she is about to enter middle-school.

why is that? it feels like a terribly silly question, but I really have no clue. 

I really did say snatches.  However, you're going to be disappointed to find out that I'm going to do them all backwards (Hardstyle).  I've been experimenting.  A single -arm snatch with a 12 kg feels like it looks beautiful, like it just floats up there.  However, my heart rate stays in the mid 70's or 80's which isn't very useful for conditioning.  With a 16kg it feels raw and ugly and slams into my forearm, but my heart rate gets jacked up.  

Ahhh I know, it sounds like you should get a 14kg? :D

Or learn how to not slam your forearm I suppose.. or.. maybe.. get some of that wrist protection? 😕 

Don't worry, I'm not disappointed, it's a step in the right direction after all ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

She told me that Slothgirl eats lunch at the "weird-kid" table and seemed to have a great time there.  I can't tell you how happy that makes me as she is about to enter middle-school.

This too, makes me happy.

Sorry to hear about the potential career hootenanny.  Something like that would give me hella anxiety too, because even though I'm a person that tends to plan any given outcome to the nines, there are still so many variables......

At least you still have a bunch of sad sack dogs around to soothe your soul though!

5 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Hey @Sloth the Enduring

Thanx @loire

tenor.gif

• Like 2