h3r0 Bro's out

h3r0

nick-sinclair-buckaroofront-a-web.jpg

Hiro, hero for hire. Ruthless, intelligent, efficient. You have an impossible problem, then he's the man to call. Slim, trim, cocky grin, completely self contained and self assured.

He stays in peak physical condition through training and daily activity. His body looks like it was carved out of wood, strong and capable, lean and hard, without bulk, but flexible and defined.

He has more than enough energy to run, jump, and play all day, with energy to burn, never stopping and never quitting until he is done.

He has a warrior heart. Being a Warrior is standing up for you and yours. It is being willing to fight even when you know that you are going to lose. A warrior protects, a warrior stands up for what is right, and pray you never find yourself on the wrong side against him. 

------------------------------

FEBRUARY CHALLENGE

536d0bebdae17.jpeg

A new challenge. 

Starting weight: 202 lbs 

#1 Do you even lift Bro? 

I have completed 6 rounds of 5/3/1 and it has been really good to me but I need a break from the heavy loads. My body and joints ache even with the deload weeks built in. I will do the 30 Day workout Ironborn from Darbee this challenge. It is a high frequency, high volume, but low weight dumbbell bodybuilding type routine. I think it will be a nice change up. 

#2 Operation Sleep

I need to prioritize recovery and my own mental well-being. Looking over my data it is not shocking to see that I have better days when I get good sleep. I tend to get 6-7 hours every night but not many of them are quality hours. 

In the past I have responded well to Valaren Root to just be chill. Not the best sleep aid but does keep the anxiety down if I take it daily for a few weeks. 

I have a serious coffee problem. It's free at work and they keep a pot going all day so I drink it all day. No more caffeine past 10am. 

My wife insists on using her phone in the bed at night and I swear it lights up the room like a spot light. Invest in a sleep mask. 

#3 Body Composition 

The matador diet seems to be a pretty low key way to trim up without a lot of fuss. Keep to the program. 

I will attempt to add one vegetable per meal. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Looking solid, my nerd. It's good to know what you need from lifting and sleep. 

Ah yes, caffeine. I was reading that it doesn't boost our energy so much as block the neurochemical adenosine that makes us sleepy. It does that by fitting into the adenosine receptors, so that adenosine still builds up and is ready to swarm us when the receptors free up as the caffeine wears off. I don't know how accurate it is, but the writers suggested drinking tea/coffee no earlier than 9:30 or even 10:30 (because you should have high cortisol in the morning and not have any of the sleepy chemeical built up yet) and then quitting by 1:30 or 2:30. I'm giving it a try, and I have caffeine withdrawal headaches in the morning. Hmm. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ah yes, caffeine. I was reading that it doesn't boost our energy so much as block the neurochemical adenosine that makes us sleepy. It does that by fitting into the adenosine receptors, so that adenosine still builds up and is ready to swarm us when the receptors free up as the caffeine wears off.

Also known as, "why coffee keeps you from sleeping, but after the first 20 or so hours you're not actually awake anymore". 

7 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I have a serious coffee problem. It's free at work and they keep a pot going all day so I drink it all day. No more caffeine past 10am. 

Having done this myself, I strongly recommend you find something else to sip on through the day. Half the addiction is in the actual action from carrying a coffee mug around and sipping from it.

Personally, I have invested in various loose leaf teas and an infuser for my desk at work, since I find the ritual of making tea to be somewhat destressing. A water cup or some kind of juice could also work. The important thing is to not just cut out the coffee and leave a giant obvious  power vacuum where the coffee ritual used to be. Replace the coffee with herbal tea or something similar, and it becomes easier to not miss the coffee.

Good luck! Giving up coffee is hard, but you can do it!

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

9 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Having done this myself, I strongly recommend you find something else to sip on through the day. Half the addiction is in the actual action from carrying a coffee mug around and sipping from it.

Seconded. I gave up coffee during the work week back in May of last year. Luckily my office also carries chamomile and mint teas. It's not a great substitute but it does satisfy the need-a-hot-drink-in-my-hand-at-all-times-as-I-stare-into-the-abyss-that-is-the-computer-screen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

10 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Seconded. I gave up coffee during the work week back in May of last year. Luckily my office also carries chamomile and mint teas. It's not a great substitute but it does satisfy the need-a-hot-drink-in-my-hand-at-all-times-as-I-stare-into-the-abyss-that-is-the-computer-screen. 

Good point. I hadn't considered replacement at work. At home I switched to the old crystal light lemonade instead but I forgot about while I was at work. Guess I am going to the store during my lunch break. 

brodoyouliftcat_fee87c30-2ef7-4389-bf40-

Ironborn Day 1

Face Pulls 

Shoulders, chest, tri

Well that was different. A very quick workout if you stick to the 30s rest between sets. I am so used to a barbell that the dumbbells were all over the place. If anything this program should help with coordination. 

Operation Sleep is getting off to a Rocky start. Third day of no caffeine past mid morning but second night I have been hit by insomnia. Lay in bed thinking about not sleeping and making it worse. Just got up and watched One Punch Man until I was tired. I don't want to put additional pressure on myself but I really need to sleep tonight. I don't want to be dragging at fencing tomorrow. 

Started my matador calorie cut Friday. So good so far. No vegetable with breakfast but I packed some spinach into my turkey wrap for lunch today. Seemed like a easy way to do it. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a breakfast vegetable that is easy or portable? My standard breakfast at my desk at work is boiled eggs and string cheese currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a breakfast vegetable that is easy or portable? My standard breakfast at my desk at work is boiled eggs and string cheese currently. 

Raw carrots or celery are very easy to transport, and not very messy to eat at a desk either. Carrots can be loud though, so if you have thin-skinned coworkers that may not be a good idea. A banana may also be an option.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Operation Sleep is getting off to a Rocky start. Third day of no caffeine past mid morning but second night I have been hit by insomnia. Lay in bed thinking about not sleeping and making it worse. Just got up and watched One Punch Man until I was tired. I don't want to put additional pressure on myself but I really need to sleep tonight. I don't want to be dragging at fencing tomorrow. 

I use meditation techniques when thoughts are keeping me awake. It makes a significant difference when I can be bothered to do it.

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Well, any vegetable is portable with a little container. How about cherry tomatoes? They're breakfasty. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I use meditation techniques when thoughts are keeping me awake. It makes a significant difference when I can be bothered to do it.

I do this as well. For very bad evenings I reach for the Sleep category in my meditation app.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

do-you-even-lift-bro.jpg

Ironborn Day 2

Back and biceps 

Longer workout today but still very doable. Fencing class tonight! 

Got a vegetable in at lunch and dinner yesterday. Spinach in the wrap is tasty and adds a nice crunch. Still no veggies with breakfast today but added tomatoes and spinach to my wrap for today's lunch. If I have two vegetables at lunch does that meet my goals? 

Finally got some sleep last night. Not nearly enough but it was a quality 6 hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

It's not what you said, but you can always go back and edit your goals. I'll know, though. 

Doh! Spinach and tomatoes are pretty tasty on a wrap. I can get used to this and I am not really a vegetable kind of guy. Mostly meat and cheese and starches which I really need to work on, hence this first step. I like vegetables just fine, I just never buy produce and when I do it usually goes bad before I can eat it. All my veggies come from cans like peas. 

I really like cucumbers, maybe they can become a breakfast food. 

Screenshot_20200211-205943.png

Fencing Class 

A good night. I am still very much a beginner but I am finally getting to the point where I can see what I am doing incorrectly and know what I can work on to improve. Before I really didn't know what I didn't know or could see what I was doing. I was just desperately trying not to get stabbed. 

Still really enjoying it and it is a good stress reliever. Plus it is a great cardio workout as you can see above. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I mean, it sounds like you've got the right idea. Now you just need some more techniques to not get stabbed with. 

Well, that covers half of it... 😋

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

A picture of me in the next class:

1z5ej9.jpg

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oh yeah... I forgot! Stab, and be not stabbed, that is the quest.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Following for the fencing and general awesomeness!

Used to fence competitively (its been about 5 years and I miss it). What weapon are you learning? 

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

1 hour ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Following for the fencing and general awesomeness!

Used to fence competitively (its been about 5 years and I miss it). What weapon are you learning? 

Foil. I just started fencing for the first time and most of the people in the class are using foil. I was advised to start there and once I got comfortable with it I could switch. I haven't tried it yet but epee looks like a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

never-skip-leg-day-memegenerator-net-never-skip-leg-day-53700544~2.png

A bro never skips leg day. 

Ironborn Day 3

Legs

That was actually pretty tough since my legs are still jelly from last night. God help me, abs are tomorrow and I hate ab work. 

Sleep 

No insomnia last night but not great sleep. Only 6 hours and I kept waking up. I ran out of valaren root and need to get some more but caffeine cut continues well. 

Diet

I had a banana with breakfast this morning. Not a vegetable but was all I had. Already packed turkey, spinach and tomatoes into a spinach wrap for lunch. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Foil. I just started fencing for the first time and most of the people in the class are using foil. I was advised to start there and once I got comfortable with it I could switch. I haven't tried it yet but epee looks like a lot of fun. 

Foil is a great place to start.

I fenced epee for nearly 10 years so I’m biased towards the “pokey” weapons. Plus you don’t have to worry about right of way 😉 

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

On 2/10/2020 at 3:57 AM, h3r0 said:

I will do the 30 Day workout Ironborn from Darbee this challenge. It is a high frequency, high volume, but low weight dumbbell bodybuilding type routine.

I didn't realize Darebee had any weighted programs.  I should check this one out because I could use some sort of program like that for the remainder of this challenge

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

waffles-arejust-pancakes-with-abs-friendseat-on-twitter-waffle-do-50280845~2.png

Ironborn Day 4 - abs

Ow, that was tough. I never train abs so that hurt. 

Sleep is still not where I want it. I quit caffeine other than a morning coffee to help my sleep. I haven't seen any improvement, I'm just tired all day. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1