h3r0 Bro's out

h3r0

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Ow, that was tough. I never train abs so that hurt. 

Sleep is still not where I want it. I quit caffeine other than a morning coffee to help my sleep. I haven't seen any improvement, I'm just tired all day. ☹️

I'm laughing at the picture, not the ab pain. Hmmm. I wonder if one in the morning and one in the afternoon would be a better compromise?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm laughing at the picture, not the ab pain. Hmmm. I wonder if one in the morning and one in the afternoon would be a better compromise?

Maybe or maybe cut it out completely? I don't know.

Just frustrated. I am tired of being tired all the time. I know the root cause is not having enough or quality sleep. The 6 or so hours is not enough but don't know how to increase that without other life impacts. I get up a hour earlier than I have to but that is my workout time and don't want to cut that. With work, kids, and our schedules I don't want to go to bed earlier. That last 1-2 hours of the evening is really the only time I get hang out with my wife during the week. 

I over come the sleep debt with large amounts of caffeine and I know that isn't healthy long term. I cut it in a effort to improve the quality of sleep if I couldn't increase the quantity but so far hasn't worked. 

-------

I brought vegetable soup for lunch but I don't want it. I am tired, cranky, and hungry so I treated myself to a sushi roll. It even has avacado which is a vegetable. 

IMG_20200213_115120.jpg

• Like 3

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

I'm sorry if you already said so and I missed it, but have you looked at your sleep hygiene habits too? (Keeping your room as dark as possible, reducing screens/blue light exposure before bed, etc.) I've been working on cutting down on my caffeine lately too and I hadn't realized how much I had been depending on it until I started weaning myself down, so I totally understand that 'now I'm just tired all day' feeling.

Also that sushi looks amazing.

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

On 2/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, bigm141414 said:

It's not a great substitute but it does satisfy the need-a-hot-drink-in-my-hand-at-all-times-as-I-stare-into-the-abyss-that-is-the-computer-screen. 

I wasn't expecting to get attacked in someone else's thread, but them's the breaks.

• Haha 3

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

29 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I'm sorry if you already said so and I missed it, but have you looked at your sleep hygiene habits too? (Keeping your room as dark as possible, reducing screens/blue light exposure before bed, etc.) I've been working on cutting down on my caffeine lately too and I hadn't realized how much I had been depending on it until I started weaning myself down, so I totally understand that 'now I'm just tired all day' feeling.

Also that sushi looks amazing.

Yes and no. It is something that I try to keep in mind. I get hit with periods of insomnia so I take it seriously. I don't use my phone in the bed. When I go to bed I go to bed. I of course use it in the evenings up until that point but I do have a blue light blocker program on my phone. (I assume it does something) 

My bedroom is mostly dark. On the to do list this month is to get a sleep mask. Not sure what else I can do. 

The sushi was good. I love it but it's a bit pricey for a daily lunch but I do like to get it every other week or so. 30g carbs, 25g protein, about 500 kcal and strangely filling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

I brought vegetable soup for lunch but I don't want it. I am tired, cranky, and hungry so I treated myself to a sushi roll. It even has avacado which is a vegetable. 

I had not seen this thread when I decided to have sushi for my own lunch. And I have already eaten it so I don't have an impressive picture either.

Sushi is really good food. :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

56 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

Maybe or maybe cut it out completely? I don't know.

Speaking as someone who was upwards of 2000 mg of caffeine a day take my advice in this aspect. Take it slow. I quit cold turkey and went through serious withdrawl, headache, vomiting, fever, the works. Caffeine is a drug as much as anything else. 

Just frustrated. I am tired of being tired all the time. I know the root cause is not having enough or quality sleep. The 6 or so hours is not enough but don't know how to increase that without other life impacts. I get up a hour earlier than I have to but that is my workout time and don't want to cut that. With work, kids, and our schedules I don't want to go to bed earlier. That last 1-2 hours of the evening is really the only time I get hang out with my wife during the week. 

I over come the sleep debt with large amounts of caffeine and I know that isn't healthy long term. I cut it in a effort to improve the quality of sleep if I couldn't increase the quantity but so far hasn't worked. 

More anecdotal observations, go to bed when you're tired. Have you talked to your wife about this? You're in a partnership, or I hope you are, and you need to communicate with her on this. I know you WANT to spend that last couple of hours with her, but you may need to make some temporary adjustments that take away some of that special time in the short term to help make the long term even better. 

Bedroom notes. Have you looked at light polution, electronics in bed, white noise, etc?

Additionally, does your bed suck? Is looking at a new mattress an option? 

-------

IMG_20200213_115120.jpg

It looks amazing. I almost don't want to point out that it's a fruit. Almost.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

22 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Speaking as someone who was upwards of 2000 mg of caffeine a day take my advice in this aspect. Take it slow. I quit cold turkey and went through serious withdrawl, headache, vomiting, fever, the works. Caffeine is a drug as much as anything else. 

More anecdotal observations, go to bed when you're tired. Have you talked to your wife about this? You're in a partnership, or I hope you are, and you need to communicate with her on this. I know you WANT to spend that last couple of hours with her, but you may need to make some temporary adjustments that take away some of that special time in the short term to help make the long term even better. 

Bedroom notes. Have you looked at light polution, electronics in bed, white noise, etc?

Additionally, does your bed suck? Is looking at a new mattress an option? 

Ceiling fan. Memory foam, crisp cotton sheets in the summer and soft flannel sheets in the winter, love my bed. I view sleep and good bedding as a investment and one of the few areas of my life I don't go cheap. 

My spouse uses her phone in the bed, hence my plan to get a sleep mask. 

I enjoy the quiet evenings with the spouse and having some alone time together is important in any relationship. I may temporarily try splitting that time and going to bed earlier. 

23 minutes ago, Grumble said:

It looks amazing. I almost don't want to point out that it's a fruit. Almost.

😡

• Like 2

e75b67a511952ee779f93fa1911c9aa0.jpg

Ironborn Day 5

Easy workout. Dumbbells are nice but I miss the barbell. 

Sleep 

Had a stomach ache last night and it was a while before I could get to sleep. 

Body Composition 

Current weight is 200 lbs. This weekend I will swing back to maintenance calories for a week. 

• Like 3

do-you-even-lift-bro_fb_1691851.jpg

Ironborn Day 6 - Back, Biceps 

Jump Rope 

Face Pulls 

I am starting to get into these. Good workout but on the easy side. 

I finally got some good sleep last night. Not long but good quality hours. I feel so much better. I'm wondering if it was the extra calories yesterday. 

• Like 3

77_300x300_Front_Color-NA~2.jpg

I bought a wooden dowel to practice at home to drill muscle memory. It's on fencers! 

• Like 3

97200-heathered_gray-md-t-legs-day.jpg

Ironborn Day 7 - Legs

Decent workout. I came off of my calorie reduction and have eaten like crap for two days and now feel bloated. Ugh 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I came off of my calorie reduction and have eaten like crap for two days and now feel bloated. Ugh 

But now you have a recent reminder why quality matters as much as quantity! ;) It's like choosing not to drink as much next time because of a shitty hangover.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

So I have felt fine all day but I was a little hungry so I snacked on the kids string cheese. About an hour later I got a stomach ache again. I've been having stomach issues off and on for a little bit here lately with no discernable pattern but this is the first time that I have eaten something in isolation and felt fine before and not afterwards. 

It is only a working theory at this point but I am wondering if I have a dairy / lactose issue. I never have before that I was aware of but the Google machine says that it can develop later in life. I don't drink milk, too much sugar, but I do enjoy cheese, but it is usually in / on food. 

Hmmm I am going to eliminate dairy for a few days and see if that makes a difference. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Defining said:

But now you have a recent reminder why quality matters as much as quantity! ;) It's like choosing not to drink as much next time because of a shitty hangover.

The "crap" I referenced was pizza with cheese of course. Now I'm wondering if that was the culprit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

It is only a working theory at this point but I am wondering if I have a dairy / lactose issue. I never have before that I was aware of but the Google machine says that it can develop later in life. I don't drink milk, too much sugar, but I do enjoy cheese, but it is usually in / on food. 

For me, it manifested in my early 30s. If you discover that it's likely you have lactose intolerance, I'm happy to answer questions as best I can from my own experiences. Just say the word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

For me, it manifested in my early 30s. If you discover that it's likely you have lactose intolerance, I'm happy to answer questions as best I can from my own experiences. Just say the word.

WTF. No, it's not fair. You can't get an intolerance to an entire food group in your THIRTIES. It's not fair. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

WTF. No, it's not fair. You can't get an intolerance to an entire food group in your THIRTIES. It's not fair. 

That is exactly what I said!

Discovering the vast industry of vegan alternatives to ice cream made it a lot easier for me to come to terms with the unfairness.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

17 hours ago, h3r0 said:

97200-heathered_gray-md-t-legs-day.jpg

Ironborn Day 7 - Legs

Decent workout. I came off of my calorie reduction and have eaten like crap for two days and now feel bloated. Ugh 

I love that sweater

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

I was 27 when I suddenly became a type 1 diabetic. First they took my donuts, then they came for my cheese. 

• Angry on your Behalf 1

invisible-weightlifting

Ironborn Day 8 - abs

Tough, all kinds of variations on planks. I hate working abs. 

• Like 2

8ac44a11c7fe2b01ffc44ec8c282b23e.jpg

Ironborn Day 9 - chest, shoulders 

I'm still surprised that light dumbbells with short rest periods is kicking my butt like it is. 

I have had pretty good sleep the last few days. I still need to pick up a mask and I haven't been super strict about the caffeine lately but way better than I have in the past. I think I am putting too much pressure on myself to sleep that it is having the opposite effect and do much better when I am not paying that close attention to it. 

My body weight is holding steady at 200 lbs and currently on maintenance calories this week. Fencing class is tonight and I know I will burn a boat load of calories so I will eat a little extra today.

Second day without dairy and it just occurred to me that the whey based protein bars I use as a go to for extra protein and calories isn't going to work. I'll have to check and see if I can find a good kind with egg or soy in the local store. 

• Like 3

On 2/16/2020 at 3:15 PM, h3r0 said:

For my husband it didn't show up until his 40's.  Cruel, I know.

On the sleep issue, I've found that reading for 15+ minutes before bed helps a lot.  Cleanses my mental palate, so to speak, and helps to turn my brain off.  I'll take a low does of melatonin (3 mg) if I'm desperate.

• Like 1

Heather

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"