Snarkyfishguts

Snarkyfishguts Remembers and Moves Forward

I just fried up a bunch of bacon, so this seems like a great time to start a challenge. 🤣

💚

There have been highs and lows in the last five years

Lows: My first challenge on my activity feed, I was in a car accident, and processing a lot of anger and physical pain.  My dad got colon cancer, conquered it, then later had a slow process of going blind, which he's not totally blind yet, but CLOSE ENOUGH. My grandfather started failing, was moved to a home near our house, where we took care of him and his old house until he died. Not before calling me a spinster and an old maid (angry, bitter noises) . I dated unsuccessfully, continuously failed as an illustrator and gained 75 pounds. AND I HAVE A LOT OF UNRESOLVED ANGER. 

BUT, I went to Ireland and posed by the Cliffs of Moher. I traveled to New York City alone, and walked around until my feet were sore. I went to Las Vegas and witnessed a guy getting a blowjob behind the Bellagio Fountains. I got lost walking in Vancouver, I conquered fear and  walked across the Capilano Suspension Bridge.  I hiked in Acadia National Park, strolled down the beaches of the Gulf Coast, and had lunch in the Grand Canyon. I mean, that feels AMAZING. I learned to cook chicken (finally) and still have yet to master macaroni and cheese. I bought a ukulele, I danced, I sang, and I hugged my loved ones. I made friends that I will have for life. Or at least for this chapter, and that's still pretty special. Lots of High Moments, with beautiful views.

Life is really good. And when it's not good, I have a lot of good to hold in my heart and keep me moving forward until I get to the next gorgeous view. :) It's time to stop letting the bad stuff hold me back, it's time to stop making excuses, and it's time to stop hiding behind everyone else. It's time to get uncomfortable, to sweat, and to EAT MORE VEGETABLES.

CHALLENGE

💚Goal: To lose some damn weight and get healthy.💚

💚Action: Eat three meals a day. Skip the snacks.  If I'm really hungry, then I'll eat a piece of fruit or a vegetable. When I was a kid and I was bored, I'd whine to my mom "I'm huuungry" and she'd say "Eat an apple" and I say "I don't want that" and she'd say, "Well, you're not that hungry. Wait until dinner"  It's simple, and I like simple.

💚Action: Exercise for minimum 30 minutes, 5 times a week. This is a jump from my 10 minute minimum, but I KNOW after the last challenge, I really have a lot more time than I thought. I'm also a lot more durable than I give myself credit for. I can do this.

💚Action:  Stretch or practice yoga daily. This does not count towards 30 minutes a day. It's just good practice and I'm as flexible as an oak. I want to get more like a cat, and less like an oak.

💚Action: Practice German 6 days a week.  I love practicing German! It reminds me that I'm going to travel this spring, and I want to feel great while traveling. Which is going to be awesome when it comes to deciding "Do I want chicken and veggies for dinner or chocolate cake? What choice will Future Me appreciate? :D  

💚

I don't know how much weight I will lose. But I'll be keeping track and reporting in each week. I weighed 272 this morning. So I'll let you know next Sunday! I'll be operating on a Sunday-Saturday week. When I succeed at the end of this challenge, I'm going to buy some cute outfits, but I'm saving my money because I want to travel a lot more in the next five years. 

Yellowstone-volcano-eruption-990586.jpg?

This is in Yellowstone National Park.  HOW COOL IS THAT?! I want to see this in person one day

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yellowstone-volcano-eruption-990586.jpg?

Of all the pictures of your travels and potential travels, I am glad this is the picture you went with and not the Vegas Blowie. 

Following along as always, Snarky :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Of all the pictures of your travels and potential travels, I am glad this is the picture you went with and not the Vegas Blowie. 

Following along as always, Snarky :)

I've never been here! It's definitely on my list of places I want to go to. Then I'll take my own picture, and share it! 

I never got a picture of that blow-job but I will die with the image burned in my brain.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. These are some great goals.

Thanks! I've really been inspired by the success and progress of my friends here (including you!)

1 hour ago, Terah said:

Following! 

You had a really hard time, I'm glad you're still living life to the fullest <4

Thanks! It put it into perspective to have it written down like that. Like, it's been hard, but it's also been really great. One doesn't cancel the other out, I think all those experiences are separate and important, but we tend to remember the bad more for survival purposes, and it felt really good to flex and remember the awesome stuff and stop feeling sorry for myself :D

• Like 3

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

Wow, that's quite an intense period you went through. Amazed at so many travels!

Thanks. Traveling is a really healing experience for the soul, I think. When bad things happen, we tend to hunker down in a protective survival bubble, and then to get away from that bubble and just see that the world is so much more than the bad stuff, and that it's quite beautiful. After a really frustrating time, it feels really good to take on a hike that feels challenging and just  sweat all that negativity out and let your muscles crush it into energy and be rewarded with a view that just fills all the empty space. 

• Like 2

I really love that @Tanktimus the Encourager begins his daily sharing with "Today was a good day"  Even if it wasn't the best day. I love that mindset, and I gotta tell you, Tank, it really helped me yesterday. 

Yesterday was a good day. I ran some errands in the afternoon, and picked up a couple pizzas on my way to my brother's house. I was spending the evening with my nephews while my brother and sister in law had a date night. My nephews don't need a babysitter at all, but I missed them, and then their folks could stay out and watch a movie, and know that someone would put the youngest nephew to bed, which I have superpowers in getting him to sleep. When my brother came home, and I said "He's asleep." they silently punched their fists in the air with victory and said "YES!"  

My super powers are still effective. :D

I also learned that this challenge is challenging. In the last challenge, I really worked hard just to show up and do the bare minimum. But this challenge is going to push me to do more beyond showing up. And I think that could be a really good thing. 

• I ate three meals yesterday, and I also ate a LOT of snacks before bed after coming home from my brother's. I don't know why I felt like stress-eating, because I had a great time, but I was clearly stress eating. 
  • Exercise: I got up to 20 minutes yesterday, and then I quit. I was tired, and I wasn't really in the right mindset. 
  •  Stretch or yoga- totally forgot about this
  • German-I waited too long. I thought I'd have time to do it at my brother's house, and I forgot that all my time there is nephew time. :)

I didn't sleep well last night, probably because of the late night Cheeto Massacre, and slept in too late. I realize if I'm going to make this challenge work, I need to do the work, and take some time to really plan ahead for meals, and when I'm gettings my goals done, especially on days when I have other commitments!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad it was a good day.

It’s such a small statement, but it really does change the mindset to focus on “what went well? What can I change next time?”  Thank you! 

• Like 3

Omg I just found my house key in my front door from when i went walking yesterday morning. 

*dies*

thank heavens I live in a safe neighborhood! I’ll never make that mistake again! 

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Omg I just found my house key in my front door from when i went walking yesterday morning. 

*dies*

thank heavens I live in a safe neighborhood! I’ll never make that mistake again! 

I do this on occasion. And leaving my keys in my bike :D 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I just fried up a bunch of bacon

giphy.gif 

On 2/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Life is really good. And when it's not good, I have a lot of good to hold in my heart and keep me moving forward until I get to the next gorgeous view.

That's... really profound and wonderful

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I really love that @Tanktimus the Encourager begins his daily sharing with "Today was a good day"  Even if it wasn't the best day. I love that mindset

Yeah, we really love him for stuff like this. Powerful shifts in perspective.

giphy.gif 

I'm glad you're back @Snarkyfishguts. I'm proud of you for finding ways to be positive in the midst of the chaos. It shows resilience. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

giphy.gif 

I will always share bacon! Bacon is better when its shared!

That's... really profound and wonderful

Yeah, we really love him for stuff like this. Powerful shifts in perspective.

giphy.gif 

💚💚💚

I'm glad you're back @Snarkyfishguts. I'm proud of you for finding ways to be positive in the midst of the chaos. It shows resilience. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks, buddy! That means a LOT to me!

• Like 1

Update:

Yesterday was a good day :) I planned out menus for the next week, which I really HATE doing and went to the store. I bought some things that weren't on the list, because I realized about halfway through that I really wanted to make sweet Italian sausage sauce. I use Chef Julie Yoon's Recipe for Lasagna for 2 and instead of the meatloaf mix, I use sweet Italian sausage, because YUM. The lasagna turns out really well too, but I just don't care for the texture of ricotta, so sometimes I make the lasagna for my family, and then just pasta and the sauce for myself. I love making lasagna! I just don't care to eat it! :D :D 

Tomorrow is my appointment with the allergist, and I'm really nervous/excited. After my appointment, I'm going out for lunch with my sister-in-law, so I'll have someone to kinda just unwind with for a little bit, and it'll be nice to listen to her talk without everyone else talking at the same time. I read that they will probably do a scratch test on my arm? I'm not sure what else to expect from the appointment. I kinda just hid under a blanket with a rummy drink yesterday and avoided thinking about it, so today I am cleaning and exercising, and trying to make good use of the time while I just really want to shut down and stare out the window until it's time to leave for the appointment. 

I'm going to make a to-do list. And check off some boxes. I need to be able to function even when I'm nervous, right? AHHH. this is going to be just fine. I'm worried that I'll go there, and they'll be like "SILLY WOMAN, YOU HAVE NO ALLERGIES! YOU MUST BE INSANE!" and I KNOW that I have allergies, and I'm almost sure that's not going to happen, but you just never know with a new doctor what you're going to get, and DEEEEEEP BREATHS..

1...…………...

2...…………………..

3...…………………….

Time to work out. Fitness Boxing will help sort out the nerves. 

• Like 6

Snarky!! I feel like I haven't been on your thread in forever. Hello :) Looks like you have some great goals for this challenge.

Following!

• Like 1

I planned out menus for the next week, which I really HATE doing

I love hunting down recipes for the week and making lists! What does help is that I have a list of groceries that I need almost every week (things like bread and apples) so that I only have to think about dinners. 

you just never know with a new doctor

That's what second opinions are for. It will be okay ((hugs))

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Snarky!! I feel like I haven't been on your thread in forever. Hello :) Looks like you have some great goals for this challenge.

Following!

Thanks for following along! :D Hi!

14 minutes ago, Terah said:

I love hunting down recipes for the week and making lists! What does help is that I have a list of groceries that I need almost every week (things like bread and apples) so that I only have to think about dinners. 

That's a really smart idea. I'm adjusting from cooking for 3 to one. Which happens every winter, so I'm rolling my eyes at myself for not really addressing this earlier. LOL. I think I'll write down the menus that work and save them for next year so I can be more like you with an automatic list. 

14 minutes ago, Terah said:

That's what second opinions are for. It will be okay ((hugs))

You're right! YOU'RE RIGHT. Thank you, that really helps. 

• Like 1

Update:

Okay, so today is going a LOT better. 

💚Eat three meals a day. Skip the snacks.  NOPE 0/7  I thought this one would be easy. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! EASY!

💛Exercise for minimum 30 minutes  1/5  35 minutes! 

💙Stretch or practice yoga daily. 1/7

❤️Practice German 1/6

I really like heart emojis.

I realized something when I was working out today, and that was "When I finish this, I can write to NF guys!"  and I realized THIS is my reward for ticking off the boxes, reading your updates and writing mine. And I dunno, I felt the dial turn in my head and click into place and I could do it. Ich hab' dich lieb. 

• Like 7

We'll always be here waiting to cheer you on when you do the good stuff, and here to prop you up when the bad stuff happens too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I realized something when I was working out today, and that was "When I finish this, I can write to NF guys!"  and I realized THIS is my reward for ticking off the boxes, reading your updates and writing mine. And I dunno, I felt the dial turn in my head and click into place and I could do it.

That's really nice of you to say. Thank you. We are honored to support you on your journey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Ich hab' dich lieb

Ich liebe dich auch ❤️

This reminded me of a song from Dutch comedian:

One rymes "I love you", for example a Canadian

Someone else says "Je t'aime", for example a Canadian 

A Canadian sings the way he (funny wordplay with the city Quebec and the word 'talks')

"Ich liebe dich" is a German person who has visited Canada

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deftona said:

We'll always be here waiting to cheer you on when you do the good stuff, and here to prop you up when the bad stuff happens too. 

**hugs** you're a good friend!

11 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

That's really nice of you to say. Thank you. We are honored to support you on your journey.

I'm honored to be a part of this group and have such great friends :) Thank you!

2 hours ago, Terah said:

Ich liebe dich auch ❤️

This reminded me of a song from Dutch comedian:

One rymes "I love you", for example a Canadian

Someone else says "Je t'aime", for example a Canadian 

A Canadian sings the way he (funny wordplay with the city Quebec and the word 'talks')

"Ich liebe dich" is a German person who has visited Canada

🥰