• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Snarkyfishguts

Snarkyfishguts Remembers and Moves Forward

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

 

You got this!

 

giphy.gif 

When I was a kid, I really wanted this to happen to me but as an adult, I'm like "Look at that crappy broom! Omg this house is infested! Who SWEEPS like that?" 😂

50 minutes ago, The Hero of Time said:

 

I want one of these for my lawn! Surely, in this age of technology it must be possible...

 

*Pulls out his mad scientist/inventor keyboard and starts typing maniacally*

 

r9ahzy5qr8wz.jpg

I was looking for a cross stitch pattern of Bow Wow and Link but I couldn't find one. I may have to draw one for myself, because it's so funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

When I was a kid, I really wanted this to happen to me but as an adult, I'm like "Look at that crappy broom! Omg this house is infested! Who SWEEPS like that?" 😂

 

There are a lot scenes from Disney movies that I loved as a kid and years later watched and thought, "Uhh... that's not... hmm...nope..."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

 

There are a lot scenes from Disney movies that I loved as a kid and years later watched and thought, "Uhh... that's not... hmm...nope..."

For that matter, the entire premise of either Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast are pretty bad from an adult perspective. 

 

Ariel: I'm not a child, I'm 16! Now let me completely change who I am for a boy I barley know!

 

Belle: Woohoo! Stockholm Syndrome! 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For that matter, the entire premise of either Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast are pretty bad from an adult perspective. 

 

Ariel: I'm not a child, I'm 16! Now let me completely change who I am for a boy I barley know!

 

Belle: Woohoo! Stockholm Syndrome! 

 

 

YES! Anytime you want to have a good ranting fest about the problematic messaging of Disney movies, LET ME KNOW!  I loved those movies as a kid, and I love them still, but I would be having serious conversations with my kids about healthy relationships after watching them. SERIOUSLY.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second allergy tests all came back positive! I was tested for

Early Trees

Late Trees

Grasses

Ragweed

Weeds

Molds

Dust Mites

Cockroaches

Dog Dander

Feathers

Cat hair

mouse

 

And I AM ALLERGIC TO ALL OF THEM.

 

 

Also, my health insurance sucks GIANT DIRTY BALLS because I had to pay about 500 bucks in total for these two visits.  It's worth knowing though. I appreciate having this information. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YES! Anytime you want to have a good ranting fest about the problematic messaging of Disney movies, LET ME KNOW!  I loved those movies as a kid, and I love them still, but I would be having serious conversations with my kids about healthy relationships after watching them. SERIOUSLY.

Furthermore, the conflict of Beast Vs Gaston is Hostage holder vs. the Embodiment of Toxic Masculinity. 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Furthermore, the conflict of Beast Vs Gaston is Hostage holder vs. the Embodiment of Toxic Masculinity. 

 

 

 

Right? NEITHER of them are a good choice! she clearly needs to move to another village, or just open a shop and be happy by herself, since her dad clearly is showing signs of dementia, she'll need the income. 

 

I'm also not a fan of the Aladdin Narrative of Guy Lies to Girl, Brings Magical Warfare into Her Home and Still expects her to fall in love with him narrative. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

 

 

I'm also not a fan of the Aladdin Narrative of Guy Lies to Girl, Brings Magical Warfare into Her Home and Still expects her to fall in love with him narrative. 

 

 

Yeah but let's be honest, Aladdin would totally get it. 

 

Image result for aladdin gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Right? NEITHER of them are a good choice! she clearly needs to move to another village, or just open a shop and be happy by herself, since her dad clearly is showing signs of dementia, she'll need the income. 

And to be honest, Belle's a jerk to those villagers. Snob much?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

And to be honest, Belle's a jerk to those villagers. Snob much?

 

 

Would it kill her to be nice to some of them? She could read her book when she goes home. And I SAW THAT EYE ROLL, MISS 

 

LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an event at the library and it was a lot of fun and it went well, and I came home and ate a day's worth of food in one sitting. 

 

I think I made it too hard by saying three meals a day. I think I needed to add that those meals would be planned. I thought just saying three meals a day would be enough structure, but still give me some freedom. which it does. But I need to know that when I get home, I'm going to make this food and have that for dinner. OR like tonight. I could've planned ahead and said "I'm going to have a late dinner, and a drink to go with that.  (I like having a drink on Thursdays)  I think I may also count my meals ahead of time, so I can plug them into the app and then manage my portion sizes a little better too. 

 

I don't want to do that thing where I'm stressed out and eating, or I'm hungry, stressed out and trying to log calories in, or I've made some mediocre half assed "I'm hangry whatever" dish and be logging calories between bites of food. I also think I'm done with screens during meals. When I'm alone, I justify it because I don't have anyone to talk to, but I don't even taste my food half the time. 

 

What did Ariel eat when she was under the sea? A lot of kelp? I never understood that. "I will sustain myself on this lettuce, thank you sir."  Where is the Disney princess who eats steak? I'm just saying.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YES! Anytime you want to have a good ranting fest about the problematic messaging of Disney movies, LET ME KNOW! 

 

Have you guys heard about the different versions of the Cinderella folktale archetype* where the girl is not a poor damsel in distress needing rescuing by a prince but a clever and resourceful heroine who takes charge of her own destiny? Catskin and Thousandfurs are tough and clever and decide their own fates despite some pretty awful family issues, and even the familiar Aschenputtel gets on with things and takes care of business without needing any stupid fairy godmothers.

 

When you dig into it, a lot of the tales were much better in their older versions. Margaret Atwood talks about this:

 

Quote

The unexpurgated Grimm's Fairy Tales contain a number of fairy tales in which women are not only the central characters but win by using their own intelligence. Some people feel fairy tales are bad for women. This is true if the only ones they're referring to are those tarted-up French versions of "Cinderella" and "Bluebeard," in which the female protagonist gets rescued by her brothers. But in many of them, women rather than men have the magic powers.**


Why is it good ol' Walt chose to immortalize the awful versions in modern Western culture? I blame Charles Perrault. But that's another rant altogether.

 

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Where is the Disney princess who eats steak?

 

I'm pretty sure Merida would DESTROY a steak, if she could get her hands on one :P

 

Spoiler

 

* ATU types 510A and 510B for the folklore geeks in the room 

** Quoted in The Classic Fairy Tales (Norton Critical Edition, 1999), p. 143

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oromendur said:

* ATU types 510A and 510B for the folklore geeks in the room 

** Quoted in The Classic Fairy Tales (Norton Critical Edition, 1999), p. 143

 

You used footnotes! *swoons*

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WolfDreamer said:

 

You used footnotes! *swoons*

 

Now maybe a good time to mention that I did my entire Master's thesis in turabian which is a variation of the Chicago Manual of style. Footnotes for days. 

  • Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I think I may also count my meals ahead of time, so I can plug them into the app and then manage my portion sizes a little better too. 

 

Calorie counting drives me crazy unless I do it all ahead of time. I also make sure my meals are nice and low so I can have more snacks in my plan, and I put these snacks in a box so if I am hungry I know there is always food around, and I try to eat the fruit first. I also always schedule chocolate or a treat for in the evening, then I have something to look forward to. The snack box means there is always food available if I am hungry and it takes the whole "what shall I eat" emotion out of it. If I don't want whatever is waiting in the snack box I know I am not hungry, but I make sure I have equal parts savoury and sweet, with a couple of little junky bits in there too - as long as there is plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, a little junk food can be a lovely comfort. 

 

Any snacks I don't eat during the day are taken off my MFP tracker in the evening and it's nice to see myself at my limit, and then save a couple of hundred calories too. That's a very good feeling! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oromendur said:

 

Have you guys heard about the different versions of the Cinderella folktale archetype* where the girl is not a poor damsel in distress needing rescuing by a prince but a clever and resourceful heroine who takes charge of her own destiny? Catskin and Thousandfurs are tough and clever and decide their own fates despite some pretty awful family issues, and even the familiar Aschenputtel gets on with things and takes care of business without needing any stupid fairy godmothers.

 

When you dig into it, a lot of the tales were much better in their older versions. Margaret Atwood talks about this:

 


Why is it good ol' Walt chose to immortalize the awful versions in modern Western culture? I blame Charles Perrault. But that's another rant altogether.

 

 

I'm pretty sure Merida would DESTROY a steak, if she could get her hands on one :P

 


i would see those fairy tales... 

 

and you are right about Merida!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deftona said:

 

Calorie counting drives me crazy unless I do it all ahead of time. I also make sure my meals are nice and low so I can have more snacks in my plan, and I put these snacks in a box so if I am hungry I know there is always food around, and I try to eat the fruit first. I also always schedule chocolate or a treat for in the evening, then I have something to look forward to. The snack box means there is always food available if I am hungry and it takes the whole "what shall I eat" emotion out of it. If I don't want whatever is waiting in the snack box I know I am not hungry, but I make sure I have equal parts savoury and sweet, with a couple of little junky bits in there too - as long as there is plenty of fresh fruit and veggies, a little junk food can be a lovely comfort. 

 

Any snacks I don't eat during the day are taken off my MFP tracker in the evening and it's nice to see myself at my limit, and then save a couple of hundred calories too. That's a very good feeling! 

Oooooooooooh okay! I like this!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shello said:

I can't remember if I posted here yet but I'm following!  

I don't remember either, but I'm always happy to see you. We can forget and become new friends every day! :D :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I don't remember either, but I'm always happy to see you. We can forget and become new friends every day! :D :D 

Yes!  That would be fun!

Image result for groundhog day gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

You used footnotes! *swoons*

 

<winces> Yeah, sorry. I do that. I can't help myself. I'm pretty sure I have a problem. I did try to avoid calling attention to it this time, but clearly you were having none of it B)

 

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Footnotes for days.

 

Mmmmmmm...

 

frodosmiling.gif.8b14a060266e9c7cafbde7f1045eee64.gif

 

There's just something about a well-crafted footnote (sigh)

 

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

and you are right about Merida!

 

meridafood.gif.e11a361606200256556f5712884364e3.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

and you are right about Merida!

 

Side note: she's my favorite Disney princess. Rapunzel is a very close second.

 

Did you see Ralph Breaks the Internet? The Disney princess scene had me rolling.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WolfDreamer said:

 

Side note: she's my favorite Disney princess. Rapunzel is a very close second.

 

Did you see Ralph Breaks the Internet? The Disney princess scene had me rolling.

That Princess scene was spot on. LOL

 

I'll tell you what bothered me about Rapunzel, that her hair wouldn't grow at all after it got cut! She should be able to have whatever hairstyle SHE wants.  But yeah, she was really wonderful and I honestly loved that she genuinely struggled with being out of her tower. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oromendur said:

 

meridafood.gif.e11a361606200256556f5712884364e3.gif

 

I loved the public resistance to Disney trying to Barbie-fy Merida when they were announcing all their princesses. All the moms and aunties were like "NO. SHE'S NOT A BRAINLESS TART!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what was wrong with me that I got weepy over muppet gifs the other day and then this morning....

tumblr_neq3zl1cLU1tu83k7o1_1280.png

 

It all makes sense!

 

I exercised today! And I worked a LOT today, which is really good, because I've been hitting a lot of creative walls. I think it's because I told myself the only thing I have to get done today is cleaning (looks around) and I HAVE NOT DONE THAT. 

 

So the trick is to say I'm going to do something else, and then I'll do the thing I'm avoiding. LOL. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.