• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snarkyfishguts

Snarkyfishguts Remembers and Moves Forward

19 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

What did Ariel eat when she was under the sea? A lot of kelp? I never understood that. "I will sustain myself on this lettuce, thank you sir."  Where is the Disney princess who eats steak? I'm just saying.

I know, right! I love cows (with broccoli & mashed potatoes)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahahahaha, I love all the Disney princess debates. I took a Fairytale and Folklore class through the German department when I was in college, and we spent a lot of time reading the originals and commentaries on the originals. It was pretty interesting, and disturbing. The Disney versions are quite tame by comparison. 

I believe Ariel was only 14 or 15 in the original tale. And she actually was trading her life as a mermaid to gain a human soul (mermaids in the lore had no souls and would disappear from existence when they die, while human souls would go to a heaven and live forever). By winning the love of  the prince and marrying him, part of his soul would flow through her, giving her a human soul of her own. And according to the commentator we read, it was not so much legs that she needed, as much as the ability to spread her legs, because that transferring of soul doesn't just happen by kissing and looking longingly at each other.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

Ahahahaha, I love all the Disney princess debates. I took a Fairytale and Folklore class through the German department when I was in college, and we spent a lot of time reading the originals and commentaries on the originals. It was pretty interesting, and disturbing. The Disney versions are quite tame by comparison. 

I believe Ariel was only 14 or 15 in the original tale. And she actually was trading her life as a mermaid to gain a human soul (mermaids in the lore had no souls and would disappear from existence when they die, while human souls would go to a heaven and live forever). By winning the love of  the prince and marrying him, part of his soul would flow through her, giving her a human soul of her own. And according to the commentator we read, it was not so much legs that she needed, as much as the ability to spread her legs, because that transferring of soul doesn't just happen by kissing and looking longingly at each other.

That is....also problematic......

*dies*

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That is....also problematic......

*dies*

Haha, yeah...I do highly recommend checking it out (by Hans Christian Anderson), though. I won't spoil it, but it does not end like the movie at all.

• Like 1

Here when I was a child it was still common to read the original fairy tales, or slightly milder versions, many of them quite violent and gore (I will never forget those three little pigs opening the wolf's chest, filling it with rocks, sewing it back, and then throwing him into the river). The only disney movies around were snow white and cinderella and they were reeeally disappointing compared to the original story. Then suddenly there was a new disney movie every year, each one more disappointing than the previous one. They are so decaffeinated (and I won't start on the sempiternal singing). I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

By the way, if anyone likes Roald Dahl, Revolting Rhymes is an awesome book on fairy tales.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

Oh but I loved the song "Out There" I forgive the movie for a lot of things because of that song. :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Here when I was a child it was still common to read the original fairy tales, or slightly milder versions, many of them quite violent and gore (I will never forget those three little pigs opening the wolf's chest, filling it with rocks, sewing it back, and then throwing him into the river). The only disney movies around were snow white and cinderella and they were reeeally disappointing compared to the original story. Then suddenly there was a new disney movie every year, each one more disappointing than the previous one. They are so decaffeinated (and I won't start on the sempiternal singing). I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

By the way, if anyone likes Roald Dahl, Revolting Rhymes is an awesome book on fairy tales.

This is one of my favourite posts ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have worked out today!

I don't really know my scores for this week, and I really don't care. It was a good week. I got a lot done this week, and I'm focusing on the big picture. I'm getting stuff done!

With that in mind- I'm throwing out half of my goals for this challenge. I'm focusing on exercise and stretching. I really don't have enough mental energy to sustain more than that right now. My whole body hurts, I take advil and then I feel better the next day, and after I work out my whole body hurts again. Advil, rinse repeat. Stretching is absolutely essential to my not waking up with pain, so that's definitely staying, but I don't want to pursue a diet plan right now. Between work, family, the house, and exercise, I have enough right now. And I'm depressed so it's ALL HARD.

I'm not as depressed as I have been. I feel like I'm doing really well. But then I'll be itchy and realize I can't remember when I took a shower, and it smells like I don't remember. Or I can't remember what I did the day before, and I realize that I'm managing the depression well enough, but that it's still there. :) Which just makes me really proud of how it's been going, and I can give myself a break.  We're still at the beginning and I can do this. Just not all at once.

• Like 6

Yay for a good week!  Focusing on the important stuff is well, important.  Sounds like you are listening to your needs and making good choices.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shello said:

Yay for a good week!  Focusing on the important stuff is well, important.  Sounds like you are listening to your needs and making good choices.  

Thanks. I really appreciate that. 

Only you know best how to run this journey so take it in your stride. It's not a race and you'll get there and I'm proud of you for all the work you've done so far. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, deftona said:

Only you know best how to run this journey so take it in your stride. It's not a race and you'll get there and I'm proud of you for all the work you've done so far. 

Thanks! Honestly it’s been so much better already without the restrictions. I really do eat better when I’m not trying to eat better lol. 🤪

• Like 1

I have stretched and went for a walk! It’s 50 degrees outside and sunny!  I may sweep and mop the garage too. That would be sensible. 

(laughs) sensible!

I am fighting off a migraine. The walking helped, but now it’s just like “whomp whomp whomp” 

I painted Antonio from Animal Crossing. I like that he says “ladybro”  okay, that’s all! 

06B676DC-6116-4182-9735-A4506FE7F8D6.jpeg

• Like 6

On 2/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, zenLara said:

Here too. Although I'm glad the fairy tales nowadays are not nearly as gruesome as then. I've been reading my  boys new fairy tales. About two kings who wanted a baby and turned to a witch for help, about a princess who didn't wanted to be married off to a prince, but wanted a princess, about the sandman and the "little worry man" working together because just dreaming isn't cutting it anymore for stressed out kids. 

On 2/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

With that in mind- I'm throwing out half of my goals for this challenge. I'm focusing on exercise and stretching. I really don't have enough mental energy to sustain more than that right now. My whole body hurts, I take advil and then I feel better the next day, and after I work out my whole body hurts again. Advil, rinse repeat. Stretching is absolutely essential to my not waking up with pain, so that's definitely staying, but I don't want to pursue a diet plan right now. Between work, family, the house, and exercise, I have enough right now. And I'm depressed so it's ALL HARD.

I'm not as depressed as I have been. I feel like I'm doing really well. But then I'll be itchy and realize I can't remember when I took a shower, and it smells like I don't remember. Or I can't remember what I did the day before, and I realize that I'm managing the depression well enough, but that it's still there. :) Which just makes me really proud of how it's been going, and I can give myself a break.  We're still at the beginning and I can do this. Just not all at once.

It is totally okay to take it slow when your body asks for it!

I'm reading this amazing book right now "in the flo" by Alisa Vitti. It's about the cyclical nature of women and how to harness and use your energy wisely during the month. Like after your period stops you've got this massive amount of energy and you should do all the things. A few days after ovulation the energy starts to drop and it is time for reflection and gentle movement (like yoga, walks and such). It's about listening to your body and accepting that you are a different person on different days of the month. 

So please relax, let your body heal and recover. And you'll be kicking ass in no time :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Terah said:

Here too. Although I'm glad the fairy tales nowadays are not nearly as gruesome as then. I've been reading my  boys new fairy tales. About two kings who wanted a baby and turned to a witch for help, about a princess who didn't wanted to be married off to a prince, but wanted a princess, about the sandman and the "little worry man" working together because just dreaming isn't cutting it anymore for stressed out kids. 

It is totally okay to take it slow when your body asks for it!

I'm reading this amazing book right now "in the flo" by Alisa Vitti. It's about the cyclical nature of women and how to harness and use your energy wisely during the month. Like after your period stops you've got this massive amount of energy and you should do all the things. A few days after ovulation the energy starts to drop and it is time for reflection and gentle movement (like yoga, walks and such). It's about listening to your body and accepting that you are a different person on different days of the month. 

So please relax, let your body heal and recover. And you'll be kicking ass in no time :D 

I like these newer tales!

thanks! I am just frustrated and want to punch all the things. I know I will feel good in a day or two, but until then I feel like a rage monster who really wants/needs a nap. Which sounds silly! I’m gonna out my rage monster to bed, she needs a nap :D not really, I need to run errands first, ;) 

I exercised and stretched today. I had a boss battle in Ring Fit Adventure, and I died so I had to do it again, and I'm so tired. 

I got my hair cut today, which is great. I had to go back and get it fixed, because it was crooked, and I was having none of that. I also didn't like the woman who cut my hair, because she hits her kids with a spoon. She says she taps them. I said "I don't hit kids. I'm really strong. I could hurt someone" and the woman cutting hair said "I'll take them." and my stylist said "You want some smacks?" and the woman said "I want your kids. You hit them" And I gave her a thumbs up. 

I walked through the grocery store and a guy stopped me and told me my hair was beautiful. He wasn't hitting on me, it was just moment of kindness out in the open, and he gave me wings.  And I flew away from the ice cream, because I realized that wasn't in line with my goals.  I found myself saying a prayer of thanks, which I haven't done in a really long time, but if there is divine intervention, I hope that man gets all the kindness he gives out back to him. 

After that I ate a boring lunch then did some boring, boring, chores before exercising and bragging about it. I'm still really angry today, but I feel like I got some of that energy out when I was working out. It kinda makes it better when you're doing knee to chest exercises and a giant foot is stomping on your enemy. VERY SATISFYING.

My grandmother used to feed this squirrel all the time. My grandfather would argue with her about it. This is my grandmother on my mom's side. The squirrel would break into the house if she didn't feed it. Once we saw it pounding on the window like "GIMME FOOD WOMAN!" She gave it a name and everything. I can't remember what the name was, but my cousin does. My grandma baked a lot of bread. There was always fresh baked bread at her house. She baked it for too long, but the smell of the bread permeated the house along with the powdery perfume she wore. She smelled like flowers and flours. :D 

Well, I'm going to go clean something, maybe go exercise some more or something. Have a great day y'all!

• Like 9

A lot of lovely things happened to you today and I am glad! I am also glad that man was nice to you, people aren't nice to other people often enough are they? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deftona said:

A lot of lovely things happened to you today and I am glad! I am also glad that man was nice to you, people aren't nice to other people often enough are they? 

As Tank would say “today was a good day”

It was a nice example of now nice people could be and just how much more uplifting we can be a while. I went from feeling insecure and stressed to chuffed as chips

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My grandmother used to feed this squirrel all the time. My grandfather would argue with her about it. This is my grandmother on my mom's side. The squirrel would break into the house if she didn't feed it. Once we saw it pounding on the window like "GIMME FOOD WOMAN!" She gave it a name and everything. I can't remember what the name was, but my cousin does. My grandma baked a lot of bread. There was always fresh baked bread at her house. She baked it for too long, but the smell of the bread permeated the house along with the powdery perfume she wore. She smelled like flowers and flours. :D 

I love this.  What a lovely memory to think of today.

• Like 1

I dreamed a zombie walked out of my closet and woke up in a panic at 12:45 and haven’t slept since. I did just eat some cereal.  It’s 4:30. I think the house is zombie free. I’m gonna try sleeping... with the light on. Lol

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I had a boss battle in Ring Fit Adventure, and I died so I had to do it again

I hate when this happens. Get some peach smoothies as soon as you can! They resurrect you. 

"I want your kids. You hit them"

The only right response. Hitting is a sign of weakness and it teaches the kids it's okay to hit someone

a guy stopped me and told me my hair was beautiful

Awww! That is so sweet!

It kinda makes it better when you're doing knee to chest exercises and a giant foot is stomping on your enemy. VERY SATISFYING.

Truth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I think the house is zombie free.

The zombies are dead (again)
We used poisonous gases
And we poisoned their asses
(They look like they're dead)
It had to be done
(I'll just confirm that they're dead)
So that we could have fun
(Affirmative - I poked one, it was dead)

Apologies to Flight of the Conchords (sound).

• Haha 2