• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snarkyfishguts

Snarkyfishguts Remembers and Moves Forward

19 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

What did Ariel eat when she was under the sea? A lot of kelp? I never understood that. "I will sustain myself on this lettuce, thank you sir."  Where is the Disney princess who eats steak? I'm just saying.

I know, right! I love cows (with broccoli & mashed potatoes)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahahahaha, I love all the Disney princess debates. I took a Fairytale and Folklore class through the German department when I was in college, and we spent a lot of time reading the originals and commentaries on the originals. It was pretty interesting, and disturbing. The Disney versions are quite tame by comparison. 

I believe Ariel was only 14 or 15 in the original tale. And she actually was trading her life as a mermaid to gain a human soul (mermaids in the lore had no souls and would disappear from existence when they die, while human souls would go to a heaven and live forever). By winning the love of  the prince and marrying him, part of his soul would flow through her, giving her a human soul of her own. And according to the commentator we read, it was not so much legs that she needed, as much as the ability to spread her legs, because that transferring of soul doesn't just happen by kissing and looking longingly at each other.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

Ahahahaha, I love all the Disney princess debates. I took a Fairytale and Folklore class through the German department when I was in college, and we spent a lot of time reading the originals and commentaries on the originals. It was pretty interesting, and disturbing. The Disney versions are quite tame by comparison. 

I believe Ariel was only 14 or 15 in the original tale. And she actually was trading her life as a mermaid to gain a human soul (mermaids in the lore had no souls and would disappear from existence when they die, while human souls would go to a heaven and live forever). By winning the love of  the prince and marrying him, part of his soul would flow through her, giving her a human soul of her own. And according to the commentator we read, it was not so much legs that she needed, as much as the ability to spread her legs, because that transferring of soul doesn't just happen by kissing and looking longingly at each other.

That is....also problematic......

*dies*

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

That is....also problematic......

*dies*

Haha, yeah...I do highly recommend checking it out (by Hans Christian Anderson), though. I won't spoil it, but it does not end like the movie at all.

• Like 1

Here when I was a child it was still common to read the original fairy tales, or slightly milder versions, many of them quite violent and gore (I will never forget those three little pigs opening the wolf's chest, filling it with rocks, sewing it back, and then throwing him into the river). The only disney movies around were snow white and cinderella and they were reeeally disappointing compared to the original story. Then suddenly there was a new disney movie every year, each one more disappointing than the previous one. They are so decaffeinated (and I won't start on the sempiternal singing). I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

By the way, if anyone likes Roald Dahl, Revolting Rhymes is an awesome book on fairy tales.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

Oh but I loved the song "Out There" I forgive the movie for a lot of things because of that song. :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, zenLara said:

Here when I was a child it was still common to read the original fairy tales, or slightly milder versions, many of them quite violent and gore (I will never forget those three little pigs opening the wolf's chest, filling it with rocks, sewing it back, and then throwing him into the river). The only disney movies around were snow white and cinderella and they were reeeally disappointing compared to the original story. Then suddenly there was a new disney movie every year, each one more disappointing than the previous one. They are so decaffeinated (and I won't start on the sempiternal singing). I think the last one I saw was that one in which disney spits on Victor Hugo's grave.

By the way, if anyone likes Roald Dahl, Revolting Rhymes is an awesome book on fairy tales.

This is one of my favourite posts ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have worked out today!

I don't really know my scores for this week, and I really don't care. It was a good week. I got a lot done this week, and I'm focusing on the big picture. I'm getting stuff done!

With that in mind- I'm throwing out half of my goals for this challenge. I'm focusing on exercise and stretching. I really don't have enough mental energy to sustain more than that right now. My whole body hurts, I take advil and then I feel better the next day, and after I work out my whole body hurts again. Advil, rinse repeat. Stretching is absolutely essential to my not waking up with pain, so that's definitely staying, but I don't want to pursue a diet plan right now. Between work, family, the house, and exercise, I have enough right now. And I'm depressed so it's ALL HARD.

I'm not as depressed as I have been. I feel like I'm doing really well. But then I'll be itchy and realize I can't remember when I took a shower, and it smells like I don't remember. Or I can't remember what I did the day before, and I realize that I'm managing the depression well enough, but that it's still there. :) Which just makes me really proud of how it's been going, and I can give myself a break.  We're still at the beginning and I can do this. Just not all at once.

• Like 5

Only you know best how to run this journey so take it in your stride. It's not a race and you'll get there and I'm proud of you for all the work you've done so far. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, deftona said:

Only you know best how to run this journey so take it in your stride. It's not a race and you'll get there and I'm proud of you for all the work you've done so far. 

Thanks! Honestly it’s been so much better already without the restrictions. I really do eat better when I’m not trying to eat better lol. 🤪

• Like 1

I have stretched and went for a walk! It’s 50 degrees outside and sunny!  I may sweep and mop the garage too. That would be sensible. 

(laughs) sensible!

I am fighting off a migraine. The walking helped, but now it’s just like “whomp whomp whomp” 

I painted Antonio from Animal Crossing. I like that he says “ladybro”  okay, that’s all! 

06B676DC-6116-4182-9735-A4506FE7F8D6.jpeg

• Like 4