• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

iatetheyeti

iatetheyeti doesn't know what they're doing

I really don’t.

It’s funny how in the past ten years that’s never actually changed. Things happen, I react. Not always well. This time ten years ago, almost to the day, as it happens, I was lying in a hospital bed after I reacted particularly badly. And then came ten years of life I never expected to have. There’s been both bad and good, though one of my best decisions by far was joining NF. I’ve been here for seven years now, which actually makes this place one of the more permanent fixtures in my life. And with good reason.

Looking forward to the ten years ahead, well, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I know where I want to be. I know it won’t be an easy road. It never is, but then, I don’t think I’d ever want it to be. It wasn’t an easy road that brought me to the person I am now, a person that is easily the best version of themself. It wasn’t an easy road that brought me to the mindset that I have created, a mindset that, while still shaky, is far harder to break than that of ten years ago. It wasn’t an easy road that brought me to the knowledge I have, the skills I’ve learned, or the people I’ve been fortunate enough to meet along the way.

And if all of that has come from a hard road, well, I look forward to whatever is coming next.

I did have a plan for this challenge, however recent events have rendered that unrealistic. On the 4th I was given a two month notice to leave my flat, the reason being that my landlady had decided to sell it. This caused a fairly massive panic given that, while I can afford to live somewhere, I can’t afford to move somewhere. I gave myself a couple of days to be emotional about it, then got to work. The current situation is that I have someone who is now a potential housemate and we are currently arranging viewings to anywhere and everywhere within our combined budget.

It does mean that not only do I have to contend with a heavily bloated work schedule (my department co-workers all have weeks off one after another and I am the only one who does overtime), but on my days off most of my focus will be on this current situation.

But that doesn’t mean I have to drop everything else. I just have to be a little smarter about it. I debated staying in my safe little bubble with the Druids until this is solved, one way or another, but given that part of what I’m working on is learning to step out of my social comfort zones, I’m sticking very firmly to the plan and making the jump to the Assassins. Or back to the Assassins, I should say, given that I spent a year here way back in the day!

Fitness

I only have two three goals here:

• Daily yoga
  • Workout 2-3 times weekly
  • ADDITION: Weekly walk, 30+ mins, preferably away from people and traffic and the city in general

Yoga daily was part of the original plan, and is definitely easier to make time for, so I’m confident I can stick to that one way or another. The workouts, however, are something of a compromise. I wanted to increase how often I worked out and I’m itching to get back to learning more advanced bodyweight skills. But with my current situation being what it is, I can’t prioritise that. So I’m going to put aside my frustration, stick with what I’m currently doing, and do it well.

Food

Again, focusing on two things:

• Drink two litres of water daily
  • Eat at least seven servings of vegetables at least five times a week

I’ve been having trouble with proper hydration, especially at work. The vegetable thing, however, is basically me trying to persuade myself to keep eating properly rather do my usual stress/depression trick of not eating at all. I have a weekly meal prep habit in which I prep at least two meals for every day of the upcoming week, and I am always generous with the vegetables, so in theory, anyway, it should be easily doable. 

Life

All going well, there’s a strong possibility that I’ll be living with someone for the first time in over five years. And if I keep going the way I am, I’m not going to cope very well with that at all. I struggle badly with social interaction, in part due to anxiety issues, and unfortunately my job tends to make things worse on that front. Honestly, there’s no way to fix this in two months, and I’m not sure of how to go about doing so anyway, but I owe it to myself to start.

• Update daily. Doesn’t matter how small of an update it is, just talk.
  • Interact. This is a forum. It is literally a place for interacting with other people. It’s ok to do just that.
  • Take the lead in the house hunt. It’s a terrifying prospect, but I’ve been asked to do so. I have the experience. I’ve had success. I can do this.

I’m wary of making these too rigid. And in the case of point number three, it’s difficult to actually make a proper goal out of it. It’s more a continual prod to ensure I both take the initiative and keep open communication with both my potential housemate and the letting agencies, something which, historically, I am incredibly bad at.

And that’s it. I guess if life decides to throw any other unexpected surprises my way it could well change, but for now, I’ve got my plan, and I’m going to try my best to stick to it.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Adaptability is an advanced skill and it sounds like you've learned it. Following to wish you luck and perseverance!

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along!

Good to have you both here :D 

• Like 1

ZERO WEEK

Winter finally got here. Started off with a few small flurries of snow, and over the day it progressed into full whiteout conditions, peaking as I boarded the bus home from work. That's about as exciting as things have been today. I ended up getting about an hour or so of sleep last night so today has been decidedly rough, but I expected no less.

fitness

- yoga: Very short session, enough to work a little of the stiffness out of my body, but nothing challenging or new. 

- workout: Not today. Nowhere near enough energy after work, and I am not getting up even earlier than I already do (4am for morning shifts) to try one before.

food

- water: I think I hit maybe 1.5 total today, and the .5 was definitely made up of coffee. Not great, but not awful.

- Veggies: Came in just under at six portions. I opted for turkey fajitas for lunch over the stuff I'd brought from home. I couldn't not after Canteen Mother said she'd made a batch without peppers just for me! They were wonderful and I have no regrets.

life

- update: Doing the thing.

- interact: Did the thing, a little. Baby steps. 

- house hunt: Heard back from one of my requests, not a confirmation or denial, simply an admission that they don't have an agent in the area currently and they'll get in touch when they do.

Sedate start, but that's ok. Something is better than nothing, especially on a day like today. Tomorrow probably won't be easier, I've got an eleven hour solo shift and the panic buyers have been out in force since it started snowing, so it'll be a busy one. But I am hoping to hear back from the other letting agencies and maybe start building a plan of action there. Even if I don't, I'll probably start creating some sort of framework to work off of.

• Like 4

ZERO WEEK

More snow, but the wet kind. Everything is slush and every piece of ground underfoot is questionable at best. It's, uh, fun. Less fun is the fact that my department is only marginally warmer than it is outside and since it started snowing, has dropped to a temperature that actively interferes with my speech (I have a good amount of facial nerve damage and prolonged cold hits it hard). On the plus side, the canteen was kept nice and warm for a change.

fitness

- yoga: Shorter session than yesterday. I'm having cold-related trouble with the rest of my body too, unfortunately.

- workout: Not today.

food

- water: Not quite on target, but close.

- veggies: Worse than yesterday. Had canteen food rather than my own, so far less vegetables than I'd ordinarily have.

life

- update: Here and present.

- interact: Kind of. It's very difficult to do so at the end of such a long day, but I will figure out something that works better for me.

- house hunt: Still waiting on replies. Spoke to potential housemate, N, and said that if I hear nothing by the end of tomorrow, then on Thursday I'd make some phone calls. Kind of wish I hadn't of said it because now the chances of actually have to make said phone calls (major source of anxiety) is high. But I did say I'd do it. So I gotta.

Tomorrow is my last full day solo shift of this week, so hopefully after that I'll have enough energy to inject some more positivity into this. I don't like being down all the time, good reasons or not, and recently that's exactly the mindset I've been falling back into. Perhaps it's time to start looking for the little things again? Like that I'm sitting in a warm home with a cosy blanket wrapped around me, or that I got to spend a while just chatting to CM, or that I saw one of my favourite bus drivers, or that, thanks to some proactive boot drying wizardry, I know I'll at least start tomorrow with dry feet!

• Like 3

I like that you are focusing on the small positive things in the midst of looming scary stuff.

How does flat letting work in your area? Do you deal directly with landlords, or mostly with letting agencies?

You are in a good situation from the perspective of a landlord. You have a steady job and the only reason you are moving is that your building was sold. I'll bet you don't come across as the type of person who has wild parties every weekend. You don't have pets or small children. Really, you are an ideal tenant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mistr said:

How does flat letting work in your area? Do you deal directly with landlords, or mostly with letting agencies?

You are in a good situation from the perspective of a landlord. You have a steady job and the only reason you are moving is that your building was sold. I'll bet you don't come across as the type of person who has wild parties every weekend. You don't have pets or small children. Really, you are an ideal tenant.

It's kind of a mixed bag. My previous place I dealt almost exclusively with the landlord, this place it's all through the letting agency. The latter does seem to be more common where I am now, but I think that has more to do with the fact I'm living in a city with multiple agencies and before it was a very small town with just the one, if I remember rightly. More people did it themselves there.

Heh, I couldn't come across as less of a party animal if I tried! I'm hoping all of these things work in my favour, and N is pretty much the same way, so it should stand us in good stead.

• Like 1

ZERO WEEK

Today was tough, but eventually it came to an end. The cold remained, I'm now fighting off a renewed cough, and I've only just regained feeling in my toes.

fitness

- yoga: I couldn't. I've just about come to the end of my energy, and I elected to spend what little I had left on making a decent dinner.

- workout: Definitely not today.

food

- water: Over target. My entire body has just felt so dry today.

- veggies: Better, not at target, but better. Aided by a fantastic roast turkey dinner for lunch, thanks to CM. And with that, apparently we've eaten out way through the turkey surplus.

life

- update: Doing so.

- interact: I did, and then I needed to take a breather. Definitely out-peopled myself today, but that doesn't stop me wanting some company, any company, right now. It's likely the oncoming illness I'm trying to fight off. I got the self-pity part of that thoroughly covered at work, but now I'm around no one, the lonely part seems to have come out. Admittedly this is a part of the reason I'm quite keen to jump into having a housemate once more. Just knowing someone is there, even if they're doing their own thing or in another room, is a comfort, and one I've been without for years.

- house hunt: Still nothing from the agencies, so apparently I'm going to be making phone calls tomorrow. Dreading it. Will probably write myself a script. But it has to be done.

So. Yes, today felt far more negative than it actually was thanks to a number of factors, but I can find some positives. CM's roast dinner is one of those positives, as is that I got to see both Junior and Spider Wrangler, who I don't often see when I'm on a streak of morning shifts, and most definitely a positive is the lovely rottweiler who came to say hello to me when I was waiting for the bus home. The best of all, though, is that tomorrow I don't have to wake up at 4am!

• Like 3

Writing a script for calls is a great idea. You can make sure you get all the questions answered from each agency.

I hear you about liking to have people nearby, even though you are not interacting with them. I felt better when I could hear my upstairs neighbor walking around in my old apartment.

I hope you feel better after a good night of sleep.

• Like 1

Welcome back to the Assassins, we're glad to have you as long as you would like to stick around.  

Good luck adjusting to having a flatmate, that kind of adjustment can really be a struggle, even with good flatmates.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Writing a script for calls is a great idea. You can make sure you get all the questions answered from each agency.

I hear you about liking to have people nearby, even though you are not interacting with them. I felt better when I could hear my upstairs neighbor walking around in my old apartment.

I hope you feel better after a good night of sleep.

I've got a rough one drafted out, just need to put it in order and then I'll be set. At least doing it this ways means that even if anxiety short circuits my brain, I won't forget anything I need to ask, and having the notepad with me will remind me to write the answers down so I don't forget those either.

And I do feel a lot better. It's amazing what some sleep, warmth, and a hot drink will fix.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Welcome back to the Assassins, we're glad to have you as long as you would like to stick around.  

Good luck adjusting to having a flatmate, that kind of adjustment can really be a struggle, even with good flatmates.

Thanks :D All going well, I'll be here for a good while yet.

I know, and I'm not setting my expectations too high given what my last ones were like (admittedly that was in uni, but still...). But I think once I've gotten to grips with it, it'll probably do me some good.

• Like 2

ZERO WEEK

The first three or so hours of today were pretty great. The rest, not so much. It's the familiar pattern of being worked to the bone then falling apart whenever I get a day off, only this time with extra stress. Pretty sure this is what the next two months are going to be like, so really I need to figure out some stress management so I can actually relax every once in a while.

fitness

- yoga: Very short session. Went right the way back to the start of the series I was working through because it made sense to me at the time.

- workout: No. Thought about it. Didn't do it. I stressed instead, which is really not a viable substitute.

food

- water: I mean, I drank plenty of liquid, but I'd guess that only about a litre of it was actual water. It's hot chocolate weather, so I indulged (again and again).

- veggies: Halfway there. Started off well, ended up with depression pasta for dinner rather than an actual nutritious meal.

life

update: Have to admit I didn't really want to given that it involves coming here with nothing positive to report.

- interact: Fortunately I did this during the good part of today.

- house hunt: This definitely had a lot to do with why my day went to shit so quickly and suddenly. One of the places I didn't even get through to (constant busy tone/hold queue) and the other just took my details and said they'd get back to me, but it still set my anxiety off, and it kind of spiralled from there as I went through all of the worst what-ifs I could think of, ending in a pit of despair because of course I'm never going to find anywhere and of course I'm going to end up homeless and of course nothing will ever go right. Still picking myself up after that one. Really kinda hate anxiety.

Back to the 4am wake-ups tomorrow, which means an early night tonight. I'm going to try and bury myself in a book for the next hour or so in an effort to calm myself. At least tomorrow's shift is relatively short, meaning I should be home by mid-afternoon. Always a bonus on what is sure to be a stressful day (all 'event' days in the retail calendar are, and tomorrow is valentine's day, which is extra depressing). I should have plenty of time to figure out a way to unwind and let go of some of this stress and tension.

• Like 3

ZERO WEEK

One of these days I'll have something happy and positive to say here, unfortunately today is not that day.

fitness

- yoga: I managed about ten minutes before I got into corpse pose and just sort of stayed there as the sun set. Didn't get up again until it was properly dark.

- workout: No

food

- hydration: Coffee consumption is creeping up there again. Not an adequate replacement for sleep.

- veggies: I know I ate today, couldn't sat what. Probably safe to say I did not make this target.

life

- update: Doing

- interact: Social mana is gone. Work was a struggle as a result of that.

- house hunt: Put in a viewing request for a fourth place, still no response from any of the others.

Another early start and long day tomorrow, but then I can rest. I've got Sunday off, and that has to be about recovery.

• Like 2

ZERO WEEK END

No update yesterday due to the spectacular spiral I found myself in. My current situation just sort of slapped me in the face on the bus home from work and the full reality of the fact that I have a very real chance of becoming homeless invaded my thoughts and refused to leave. And then when I went to sleep I kept dreaming about different situations where everyone would just leave me, so, really, I was having a great time with all of my insecurities.

Replaced them with anger and frustration today. Long story short, I now need to replace my phone. The charger port is almost entirely burnt out and the phone is out of warranty). At first I thought it was the charger itself, so I went out today and bought a new one (which in itself was a fun excursion in which my phone died completely, leaving me without access to my weekly bus pass (so I had to pay for a ticket again), without the ability to listen to music (so my anxiety was through the roof whilst on the bus and in the shop), and after that I found it was quicker to walk home than wait an hour for the bus (Sunday service, yay!), and did so for forty five minutes into a headwind). Admittedly the new charger does work, but the fact that it's taken the better part of a day to charge to full and that even the slightest nudge meant it stopped charging, I don't think that'll be a permanent solution. I'm just hoping it lasts until I find somewhere new to live.

But today has yielded a positive or two. I did get some exercise in at the very least! And it has reminded me that, when I'm not seething with frustration and anxiety and caffeine, I do actually love walking. More so when it's in the mountains and called hiking, or anywhere away from people, really, but I do love walking.

So I'm adding a weekly walk as a goal. Yes, it's one more thing into what is an overstuffed schedule, but do I deserve at least one chance every week to get and breathe and try to relax and think of nothing? Well, yes, I think so.

I did mean to have a plan for next week worked out, but my mind was elsewhere. I'll have that up tomorrow and I will do my catching up then as well.

• Like 6

Day One Week One

I'm right back to not knowing what day of the week it is, what date or time it is, or anything of the sort. Stress is fun. But I did finally hear back from one of my inquiries, which has brought a little relief.

fitness

- yoga: Not done today. The weather recently has been bringing out a lot of old pains, and a couple of them are being aggravated by work. So today we had some gentle stretching that did not upset the sore bits. To do this week: continue stretching on heavy pain days, do yoga when the pain is less

- workout: Not today. To do this week: don't push it. If it hurts, then it isn't time to workout.

- walk: Definitely not today. I was soaked to the skin about five minutes after setting foot out my front door this morning. And that was with waterproofs. To do this week: get wet, apparently.

food

- hydration: On target. To do this week: stay on track

- veggies: Under again, mostly because I'm struggling to eat right now. I'm ill again, same thing that's been hounding me since November, and while drinking is easy, eating is not. Lots of soup and pasta being consumed right now. To do this week: veg in smoothies, maybe, and soft veg in the pasta and soups.

life

- update: Here and present

- interact: Did it almost as soon as I got in. I had a little social mana built up and I never regret using it here.

- house hunt: While one place has got back to me (with questions rather than an answer), the pace this whole thing is moving at is too slow. So I had a conversation with N and I'm throwing my net open wider. If I catch a local two bed place, we'll go for it, and if I catch a one bed place anywhere along my commute, I'll jump at it. I am also considering other options. To do this week: Chase up the three other current enquires, answer the ongoing one, apply for as many other places as possible.

While my anxiety is definitely running high, I will say it is actually doing wonders for my reading habit. I've averaged a book a day for the past four days and managed to escape the stress for a while. It's also causing frequent chest pain and murderous headaches, but hey, I'm used to that. At this point I'm taking every single little win and squeezing all the positivity I can from it.

It'll be a fairly rough day tomorrow. 4am wake up for an eleven hour solo shift. Nothing to do but get through it and keep trying to rack up those little wins as best I can.

• Like 3

Sounds like you're doing your best during a stressful time, moving, and the searching process that precedes, is never fun, and to do it in dreary weather and on a short timeline, that's really no fun. It's a good plan to do what you can when you can with the yoga and workouts, and a good mix of stress relievers with reading and walking. I've got my fingers crossed hard that you find a great place sooner rather than later!

• Like 1

Walking sounds like a great goal to help with your stress, and reading and anything else you can do to get some headspace.

I know throwing logic at anxiety isn't always that effective, but I still wanted to assure you that you won't end up homeless. Landlords want tenants; they're just losing money all the time the property's vacant, and they want tenants like you - adults with full time jobs who aren't going to wreck the place. And if you get to the end of your tenancy and you haven't found somewhere to go, you don't have to leave. You're /supposed/ to leave, but if you don't they have to go through processes of serving notice that can allow you to stay in your current place for months after the tenancy has expired. It's not ideal, but you won't be out on the streets.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

Glad to hear you have some positives with reading and walking.

I hope you find a decent place to move soon.

One certainty I've found in life is that books will always bring a positive of some sort to light.

And I hope so too!

18 hours ago, obax said:

Sounds like you're doing your best during a stressful time, moving, and the searching process that precedes, is never fun, and to do it in dreary weather and on a short timeline, that's really no fun. It's a good plan to do what you can when you can with the yoga and workouts, and a good mix of stress relievers with reading and walking. I've got my fingers crossed hard that you find a great place sooner rather than later!

It's certainly a lot different to deciding to do it of my own free will, anyway... All I can really do is keep asking for viewings and badger people for slightly speedier answers, even if it feels like repeatedly bashing my head off of a brick wall. I'm hoping that things will start to move more quickly at some point though.

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

Walking sounds like a great goal to help with your stress, and reading and anything else you can do to get some headspace.

I know throwing logic at anxiety isn't always that effective, but I still wanted to assure you that you won't end up homeless. Landlords want tenants; they're just losing money all the time the property's vacant, and they want tenants like you - adults with full time jobs who aren't going to wreck the place. And if you get to the end of your tenancy and you haven't found somewhere to go, you don't have to leave. You're /supposed/ to leave, but if you don't they have to go through processes of serving notice that can allow you to stay in your current place for months after the tenancy has expired. It's not ideal, but you won't be out on the streets.

As I cannot throw logic at my own anxiety right now, apparently, I welcome it when others do so, trust me! It likely won't come to that though, that's a level of confrontation I doubt I could handle even on a good day, and I have a couple of worst-case scenario options that would tide me over until I was able to get somewhere. There is a small part of me that knows it'll be highly unlikely for me to literally end up on the streets, but unfortunately that's most of what is fuelling the anxiety and the nightmares and all of that fun stuff. At the moment I'm really trying not to continually overreact and remind myself of the bigger picture. It's not working, but I am trying!

• Like 2

Day Two Week One

Currently wallowing in self pity. Spent most of my day at work in an anxiety spiral, this one fuelled by the anxiety the managerial collective oozed when they got wind that the area manager was at a neighbouring store. From 6am onwards it was all about being perfect for that visit that might not happen. Fun stuff.

fitness

- yoga: Stretching. Arthritis is painful. Mystery leg pain is flaring. Something weird is going on with my bad knee. It's bad enough that I am voluntarily taking painkillers.

- workout: I'm going to very cautiously say my first workout of the week will be Thursday. I have a half day of work then, so it's possible.

- walk: I swam to work, but I don't think that counts.

food

- hydrate: Over target.

- veggies: Under target.

life

- update: Did not want to. Wanted to just crawl into bed. But here I am.

- interact: I don't have the energy left for this today. I'm even having a reaction to just writing this post.

- house hunt: Haven't moved forwards. Today has been such a low energy day that I can't do a thing. I can't afford for this to be happening, but neither do I know what to do about it.

In summary: bad day. Bed ASAP. Need to recharge as much as possible because tomorrow is another eleven hour solo shift. Plus side? Another book finished, and I'm now starting in on one of my favourite series (serieses? series'? I never did figure that one out). Always the little things in life that help.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

Day Two Week One

Currently wallowing in self pity. Spent most of my day at work in an anxiety spiral, this one fuelled by the anxiety the managerial collective oozed when they got wind that the area manager was at a neighbouring store. From 6am onwards it was all about being perfect for that visit that might not happen. Fun stuff.

fitness

- yoga: Stretching. Arthritis is painful. Mystery leg pain is flaring. Something weird is going on with my bad knee. It's bad enough that I am voluntarily taking painkillers.

- workout: I'm going to very cautiously say my first workout of the week will be Thursday. I have a half day of work then, so it's possible.

- walk: I swam to work, but I don't think that counts.

food

- hydrate: Over target.

- veggies: Under target.

life

- update: Did not want to. Wanted to just crawl into bed. But here I am.

- interact: I don't have the energy left for this today. I'm even having a reaction to just writing this post.

- house hunt: Haven't moved forwards. Today has been such a low energy day that I can't do a thing. I can't afford for this to be happening, but neither do I know what to do about it.

In summary: bad day. Bed ASAP. Need to recharge as much as possible because tomorrow is another eleven hour solo shift. Plus side? Another book finished, and I'm now starting in on one of my favourite series (serieses? series'? I never did figure that one out). Always the little things in life that help.

What sucks is you had to worry about not looking perfect when they've been giving you crap shifts with no support.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Always the little things in life that help.

It is, keep focusing on those!

Good on you for coming here and updating even when you didn't feel like it. Hope you get to recharge soon.

• Like 1