Jean fights defensively

Jean

10th anniversary, I wish I was in a (mental and physical) shape to be present, and active, and soar.

This is not today.

There's something comforting in hitting the bottom: you're either dead or you know your situation and can work your way up tiny step by tiny step. Things don't crumble any more than they already have. Everything can wait but the vital stuff.

That's not where I am.

I am falling, fast, without a parachute. Many things can go worse and if I focus on any of them, the others will.

This is a time for focus.

This is a time for choosing what will reach the bottom, and not care one heck about it, and what will hold.

This is a time to think about the broader me and the world I want to live in.

This is a time for realizing that most things around me don't hold and that I'm not responsible for the shaky grounds they've been built upon.

This is a time to let people ask, and whine, and yell, and panic, and take charge of their own projects.

This is a time to let the land slide around me, protect what's dear to me and let everything else come crashing down.

The time when things will have stopped moving will come. It'll be time to collect their pieces and build anew then. This is not now.

This is a time to learn to say no, a whole lot of time, to 99% of the requests coming my way, and not care.

This is a time of choice, of the things that I want to carry and build up, starting from me.

What will future perfect me be? Let's bring future perfect me toward here.

I'm currently low on energy, low on focus and high on irritability. There's no way I can function like that. Let's give dysfunctional me a break.

Priority #1: keep the world at bay, learn to say no.

Target: 10' of reading on the subject per day.

Priority #2: focus on self.

Target: 5' of walking per day. Preferably during lunch break.

Priority #3: choose what matters.

Target: go to the vineyard at least once a week. Have a beer there.

That's it! If I can achieve that consistently for the 35 days of this challenge, I'll call it a win and, maybe, once the night is over, I will thrive and shine.

If you're reading this, be welcome and come with me to ride on this landslide. ;)

I know I've used it already but now is definitely a time for it: Jim Yosef - Momentum

• Like 5

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

That’s a rough spot to be in, but finding self-care handholds is a great way to focus on the small things. 

/cheering you on

• Thanks 1

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Wow, sucks to be you right now my friend :(  

17 hours ago, Jean said:

What are you going to read?

17 hours ago, Jean said:

5' as in 5 feet? Sounds a bit too easy, no? :P  

Sorry for being silly. Getting five minutes of fresh air in the middle of the work day seems like a great plan!

17 hours ago, Jean said:

Love how you're continuing on your vineyard theme from last challenge. Please do share a photo if you have the possibility 📷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things sound like they're pretty tough, but you sound like you've got a good plan to push on through.

19 hours ago, Jean said:

This is a time of choice, of the things that I want to carry and build up, starting from me.

Couldn't agree more, focus on what matters, forget the rest.

You've got this.

• Thanks 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

12 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

That’s a rough spot to be in, but finding self-care handholds is a great way to focus on the small things. 

/cheering you on

Thanks! Here's to the small things!

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Wow, sucks to be you right now my friend :(  

Depends: life's an adventure, we gotta savor every part of it. I'll get bragging rights if I play this right. More importantly, I'll be a better human being. I'd say there are worse fates than that. Also, thank you for being here. :)

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

What are you going to read?

Random stuff Googled on the internets. Tonight, it was Darius Foroux - The art of saying no. And holy crap! Every. Single. Sentence. Resonates. With. Me.

"If we are at work and our manager asks us to hand in a report before the end of the day, we say, “sure thing.” It interrupts our work, and often forces us to push other things aside."

"When friends ask us to go out while we have other things to do, we say yes."

"we [...] start relationships with people we do not love "

"We are afraid to say no, to let people down and ultimately, to avoid confrontation."

"by always saying yes, we do not value our time."

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

5' as in 5 feet? Sounds a bit too easy, no? :P  

Darn it!

tenor.gif

You, Sir, have seen clearly into my clever plan to count walking from the car to the door as a way to follow on Steve's footsteps. Now I have to devise another one...

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Love how you're continuing on your vineyard theme from last challenge. Please do share a photo if you have the possibility 📷

Thanks! The vineyard is important because it is my responsibility and mine alone. I can't let random stuff other people can handle get in the way: this vineyard is what is truly mine, I want it to flourish! No promise on the picture: I'm focusing on enjoying the moment and taking pictures is really not one of my things.

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

Couldn't agree more, focus on what matters, forget the rest.

You've got this.

And thanks for showing up! I don't know how your life has evolved (I'll get around to catching up on y'all at some point) but just in case it's still hectic with too little understanding around, here's a hug for you:

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Jean said:

the 35 days of this challenge

Make that 42. Day #1:

The scary thing is that even that isn't that easy. I almost gave up on the walk...

On the other hand, I've said no to repairing a tap, at work, when it's none of the things I'm meant to handle and I'm not at all a plumber.

And I've said an indirect no to Tobbe regarding the pictures of the vineyard (sorry pal, gotta do what I gotta do :unsure:).

• Like 4

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

10 hours ago, Jean said:

On the other hand, I've said no to repairing a tap, at work, when it's none of the things I'm meant to handle and I'm not at all a plumber.

And I've said an indirect no to Tobbe regarding the pictures of the vineyard (sorry pal, gotta do what I gotta do :unsure:).

Progress! 

After skimming the article about the art of saying no, I can tell you from experience that "the conditional yes" is forking magic, and said magic grows more powerful the more busy you are. The power in "the conditional yes" is that what you're really saying is that you would love to help, but you are already so busy with these other things you are helping this person with already... ;) 

• Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

23 hours ago, Jean said:

And thanks for showing up! I don't know how your life has evolved (I'll get around to catching up on y'all at some point) but just in case it's still hectic with too little understanding around, here's a hug for you:

giphy.gif

Well, it certainly has evolved. And it's incredibly hectic, so thank you :)

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

22 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

After skimming the article about the art of saying no, I can tell you from experience that "the conditional yes" is forking magic, and said magic grows more powerful the more busy you are. The power in "the conditional yes" is that what you're really saying is that you would love to help, but you are already so busy with these other things you are helping this person with already... ;) 

Yes! I'm having a lot of trouble formulating my other activities and why they're not taking the 5 minutes some people would expect (or how having 300 five minutes tasks to do in a day doesn't fit into it). I've been told I need to be more factual. I agree. Though I find it really difficult to both prepare factualness (meaning, having the list of tasks that have come my way either in mind of written down on something I carry with me) and performing the essential tasks that I want to get done. One tends to take energy out of the other. I guess it's yet another issue of prioritizing: by making the list and answering to the people coming with new tasks that "yes, I understand how important changing the lightbulb in front of their door is but I'm trying to prevent a landslide to come crashing down on part of the town" will free up the resources to actually deal with the landslide in a more efficient manner.

That's something I have to work on though, to be honest, I feel it's taking me so long partly because I don't want to change. I like the way I am and find that it's a problem with my environment or people in general rather than in me. As long as I'll be thinking this way, nothing will change so I need to either sit down and plan a career where having the willingness to step in and help will be an actual asset or change my mindset and accept that my priority order holds water, what I'm doing is important and people can take care of themselves. Quite a way to go. xD

6 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Well, it certainly has evolved. And it's incredibly hectic, so thank you

I'm taking it the evolution comes with it's own difficulties but bears positive consequences (or will in the end)? Take care and take heart through the housing situation.

Question for the ones in the know

I'm considering reading Mark Manson's "The secret art of not giving a fuck" (what's keeping me from it is that I've gone through 3 months straight without putting aside any real savings and I'm trying to break the streak just to show myself that I can so if I get my hands on it, it'll be in march (no copy in local libraries that I know of)). Anybody having read it can tell me if it applies to brushing aside tasks coming your way or if it's just general life behavior advice?

Tuesday, February 11th

Walked for 5'

Read Scott Fetters' "How people pleasers can learn to say "no" more often"

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jean said:

I'm considering reading Mark Manson's "The secret art of not giving a fuck" (what's keeping me from it is that I've gone through 3 months straight without putting aside any real savings and I'm trying to break the streak just to show myself that I can so if I get my hands on it, it'll be in march (no copy in local libraries that I know of)

How about electronic copies? The wait for those may be shorter.

As for prioritizing things at work, I struggled with that for a very long time. I eventually learned that one of the benefits of having a manager I am accountable to, is that I can ask her to do it. So I come to the meeting with my list of tasks and outline them, and the reason for why all of them are urgent, and then I tell her that I need help identifying which ones are less urgent, and I need her to back me when I tell the task givers that they will have to wait. It works well if you and your manager are on the same page. Not so much if you're not....

• Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

On 2/10/2020 at 12:09 PM, Jean said:

Thanks! The vineyard is important because it is my responsibility and mine alone. I can't let random stuff other people can handle get in the way: this vineyard is what is truly mine, I want it to flourish! No promise on the picture: I'm focusing on enjoying the moment and taking pictures is really not one of my things.

You have your own vineyard?!  Ooo, if no pictures are their, details are required 😎

17 hours ago, Jean said:

Yes! I'm having a lot of trouble formulating my other activities and why they're not taking the 5 minutes some people would expect (or how having 300 five minutes tasks to do in a day doesn't fit into it). I've been told I need to be more factual. I agree. Though I find it really difficult to both prepare factualness (meaning, having the list of tasks that have come my way either in mind of written down on something I carry with me) and performing the essential tasks that I want to get done. One tends to take energy out of the other. I guess it's yet another issue of prioritizing: by making the list and answering to the people coming with new tasks that "yes, I understand how important changing the lightbulb in front of their door is but I'm trying to prevent a landslide to come crashing down on part of the town" will free up the resources to actually deal with the landslide in a more efficient manner.

Long ago the stress and anxiety of a long list and my perfection at procrastination I realized I needed a system. I started a "Ulitimate Todo list" and put it on my tab on my laptop. 

I made time every monday morning to start "Week #" and write down all the things I wanted to get done and anytime something new came up I just added it to my bullet point list.  When I'd get it done, I'd strike through them. The following week I would move over any undone tasks and repeat.  

I'm naturally a lazy person, so prioritizing, categorizing, and goals doesn't naturally come to me. I just added it under the week I was under in a bullet proof form.

When I made that list, I was amazed on how much I got done and how much I didn't forget things that needed to get done.

But goodluck on finding your groove

• Thanks 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

17 hours ago, Jean said:

I'm taking it the evolution comes with it's own difficulties but bears positive consequences (or will in the end)? Take care and take heart through the housing situation.

And you're right, it does come with a difficulty or two or ten, but I'm thinking somewhere in the future there will be positive consequences. If I keep aiming for them, then the higher the likelihood of them happening. In theory...

17 hours ago, Jean said:

I'm considering reading Mark Manson's "The secret art of not giving a fuck" (what's keeping me from it is that I've gone through 3 months straight without putting aside any real savings and I'm trying to break the streak just to show myself that I can so if I get my hands on it, it'll be in march (no copy in local libraries that I know of)). Anybody having read it can tell me if it applies to brushing aside tasks coming your way or if it's just general life behavior advice?

I recall it being more focused on general life than task management. I do own a copy though, so I'll give it a quick skim read over the next couple of days and give you a better answer when I refresh my memory.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

How about electronic copies? The wait for those may be shorter.

It has more to do with me not wanting to spend money in February: I used to think I had rather small needs, then I've decided to track all of my expenses. I've started in November and have had some extraordinary expenses there. Then came December and, well, extraordinary expenses (you bet!). Then January and yet other extraordinary expenses. These are starting to show up too regularly for me to still confidently believe that they really were extraordinary and that my lifestyle isn't way higher than what I thought it was. I want to reassert that I can live with few and put money on the side if I so wish, so February is "no extraordinary expense" month. I may allow myself to buy a book in March if all goes well.

That plus I have this dream that, one day, I'll own a beautiful bookshelf with all the books I think define me that people will be able to look at when they come in my home and say "Boy, isn't this man a man of taste! Hey, I don't know this book, maybe I should try it out?" (Yes, I'm vain like that ;)).

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

As for prioritizing things at work, I struggled with that for a very long time. I eventually learned that one of the benefits of having a manager I am accountable to, is that I can ask her to do it

Thanks for the tips. I'm still trying to figure out who would be my manager in this position. The good thing that came with it is that I have lots of freedom and basically answer only to the Mayor. The drawback is that the Mayor is a busy man and I mostly have to fend for myself. While I rationally know that people around me asking for things bears no consequences if I don't do them, I'm still struggling to intuite it and really act (or not act) upon it.

3 hours ago, Butternut said:

You have your own vineyard?!  Ooo, if no pictures are their, details are required 😎

I've got old pictures that I can still show:

image.thumb.jpeg.b9cfbea0f3b81ff782d730f0e121a177.jpegPergola.jpg.6d4467588cf443e89c074e29c7b3cd93.jpg

Guerite.JPG.1a4036735ee32ed3980b5c4f27d3524e.JPG

600 square meters on a sunny mountain side, with a cabin and a gazebo. Both white and red grapes, figs and persimmons, it's a shame I'm not using it more and letting it unattended when I feel overwhelmed, really.

Long ago the stress and anxiety of a long list and my perfection at procrastination I realized I needed a system. I started a "Ulitimate Todo list" and put it on my tab on my laptop. 

That's very useful. I've unfortunately dropped my list when the days with 10 emails sitting in my inbox that I'd never manage to dig back to started to follow one another (one month in the year and there's already over 100 of those. xD Probably a bad call, I should still be prioritizing the list. I'm still letting the small things overwhelm me (partly because I can see how them not being tended to during the past 20 years has led to the situation I am in) and not putting enough time and energy on the projects that are meant to be the core of my work. I've got to work on it.

But goodluck on finding your groove

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I recall it being more focused on general life than task management. I do own a copy though, so I'll give it a quick skim read over the next couple of days and give you a better answer when I refresh my memory.

And thanks a lot! Don't do it if it is any hassle for you but if you do end up doing it, I'll gladly welcome your feedback. :)

On the good news side, I had registered to a course for hiking guides that had a lot of applicants and to which I was not sure I could really be registered. It's been confirmed! I'm really thrilled.

giphy.gif

I've also read 7 tips for saying no effectively by Jonathan Alpert today and boy:

"Most people do not want to be an aggressor. There's a negative connotation to it. Or they may feel like the bad guy or gal."

Man do I not want to be the bad guy... and still want to win. I basically want to have my cake and eat it. Time to grow up and become an adult. First you break the eggs (on a flat surface ^^) then you spice them up, then you cook them and then only do you eat a deliciously yummy omelette. Sometimes, being Good means looking bad.

Wednesday, February 12th

Walked for 5'

Read the 7 tips for saying no effectively by Jonathan Alpert

And since thinking of omelettes put me in a spaghetti westerns mood, here's the music for today: Ennio Morricone - For a few dollars more theme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean said:

Man do I not want to be the bad guy... and still want to win. I basically want to have my cake and eat it. Time to grow up and become an adult. First you break the eggs (on a flat surface ^^) then you spice them up, then you cook them and then only do you eat a deliciously yummy omelette. Sometimes, being Good means looking bad.

Being good =|= Being nice.

You can be assertive, decisive, and firm, and still be the good guy. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 2/9/2020 at 4:37 PM, Jean said:

Good goals! Doing any one of these things will make you feel better.

I was REALLY busy last month. I started a running list of things I said yes to and things I said no to. It was interesting to look at. I noticed that I felt guilty and agonized pretty much every time I said no, but I don't disagree with any one of those choices.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jean said:

I didn't read the whole thing. I know a lot of people like the book, but it seemed to me like many of the points were pretty basic, just made more exciting by incorporating a lot of f-bombs. If you can find some online resource that summarizes it, I think that might be good enough. The main point though is along the lines of what you are grappling with. Focus your energy on things that actually matter.

• Thanks 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

33 minutes ago, Xena said:

I didn't read the whole thing. I know a lot of people like the book, but it seemed to me like many of the points were pretty basic, just made more exciting by incorporating a lot of f-bombs. If you can find some online resource that summarizes it, I think that might be good enough. The main point though is along the lines of what you are grappling with. Focus your energy on things that actually matter.

And never, ever, forget that no one ever thanks you for burning your candle from both ends and destroying your energy levels and peace of mind while you run yourself ragged for them. Disturbingly often, they don't even notice. Internalizing the fact that people don't care if you say no to them, is the secret to mastering the art of not giving a fuck. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

8 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Thanks for reminding me of this, I needed it.

Some reinforcement before going to work:

lawful-good.jpg?w=676

BlogHeader_NiceKind-940x564.png

5228b89cdf9619c4b52d95151d02f278--best-l

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jean said:

And thanks a lot! Don't do it if it is any hassle for you but if you do end up doing it, I'll gladly welcome your feedback. :)

It's no problem, it's a short book and I can read pretty fast.

14 hours ago, Jean said:

On the good news side, I had registered to a course for hiking guides that had a lot of applicants and to which I was not sure I could really be registered. It's been confirmed! I'm really thrilled.

That's amazing! Definitely keep us updated with that one, please!

(or not, if that's a thing you have to say no to :D)

15 hours ago, Jean said:

"Most people do not want to be an aggressor. There's a negative connotation to it. Or they may feel like the bad guy or gal."

It's pretty awful that in so many parts of the world, saying no, setting healthy boundaries, is seen as being the bad guy. It's actually quite upsetting that looking after yourself like that is seen in such a way when really it's what a lot of people need to actually maintain their mental health. All I can really do here is echo this:

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

You can be assertive, decisive, and firm, and still be the good guy. :) 

Sums it up perfectly, I'd say.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, iatetheyeti said:

That's amazing! Definitely keep us updated with that one, please!

First module is in May and it spawns over 2 years, so it'll probably happen in my Battlelog but sure!

Thursday has been a strange day. I didn't read but talked a lot about it with a friend, which I'm still counting as a win.

Friday was back-on-track day.

Thursday, February 13th

Walked for 5'.

Didn't read.

Friday, February 14th

Walked for 5'

Read The gentel art of saying no (this one was pretty basic).

• Like 2

Saturday, February 15th

Walked for 5'.

Read Why is it hard to say no and now can you get better at it (pretty shallow read, I don't recommend it).

I wanted to go to the vineyard and do my groceries but since I was awfully tired, I've decided that I would rest and sleep instead. That means that I have to both go to the vineyard and make some kind of hike in my area tomorrow (in order to get a pic to inform my network that I'm taking the hiking guide course). I've got enough food for the week, though I'll miss on variety.

And now to go to bed in order for my resting day not to go to waste because of a sleepless night.

3 hours ago, Jean said:

And now to go to bed in order for my resting day not to go to waste because of a sleepless night.

I am very bad at doing this. I will learn from your example.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I am very bad at doing this. I will learn from your example.

Have I said I'm awful at it too? My target was "before 10 pm". It was past 1 am when I wrote that and actually turned off the lights. I'll probably get to the point when I'll put that as a main target in my challenges. My life is so disorganized right now that anything over the very small and vital goals has a high chance of making me drop even trying. Writing it here helps me to follow on it "20 seconds of courage" stye.

2 minutes ago, Jean said:

Have I said I'm awful at it too? My target was "before 10 pm". It was past 1 am when I wrote that and actually turned off the lights. I'll probably get to the point when I'll put that as a main target in my challenges. My life is so disorganized right now that anything over the very small and vital goals has a high chance of making me drop even trying. 

That sounds very stressful. Make sure you keep something in your tiny and vital goals about taking care of yourself, even if it only is to go outside and watch the sky on your lunch break. Every little bit helps!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

24 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Make sure you keep something in your tiny and vital goals about taking care of yourself

That's indeed the name of the game. "Vital" is what keeps me afloat and on the way out of this madness, be it by reorganizing my environment, switching it or changing the way I look at it. Still working on making my armor fit, replenishing my supplies and taking care of my weapons. I'll get there.

Now to summon some more of this "if I write it, I must do it" mojo: Self-Indulgence is telling me that being awake and in a state with enough energy to do things doesn't mean I shouldn't stay in bed until 11 am. I'll use the shower energy to put on my hiking shoes instead. The target of the hike is to take a nice picture that I can show. Call my bullshit if I don't show it to you.

Thanks!

• Like 3