• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom's Valentine's Day Casanunda Challenge

Casanun1.jpg

This challenge, I will endeavour to become the Disc's second greatest lover.

Challenge goals coming soon. So to speak.

• Like 7

casanunda.gif

"My name's Casanunda," he said. "I'm reputed to be the world's greatest lover. What do you think?"

Nanny Ogg looked him up and down or, at least, down and further down.

"You're a dwarf," she said.

"Size isn't important."

This challenge, I'm working my way up the rankings of the world's lovers by leveling up my international playdwarf lifestyle. (Or, as my last challenge put it, do things with elegance.)

Some of these may seem like odd choices for a fitness/life level-up, but there are three factors at play here: first, this challenge needs to be fun; second, it's addressing recovery from a certain amount of cutting corners on self-care in the broader day to day living sense and getting by on "acceptable"; and three, it's addressing the (narrative) causality between good habits and seemingly unrelated projects and lifestyle choices. Or, as Vetinari would have it, all the little wheels must spin so the machine can turn.

Part I: Casanunda Training

There are two first steps to becoming the world's greatest lover: First, yoga warmups with lots of hip openers, for obvious reasons, and, second, get into bed as often as possible. (For sleep, of course. I don't know what you're thinking.) These will be the only habits this challenge. The rest will be a list of tasks to be checked off. In this category, it's a light list: rewatch Casanova and take notes.

Part II: Be a Better Lover Than Lord Rust

"It was a Guild of Assassins, after all. Black was what you wore. The night was black and so were you. And black had such style, and an Assassin without style, everyone agreed, was just a highly paid arrogant thug."

While Assassin-School-trained, Lord Ronald Rust did not particularly benefit from the lessons on style. So I think I can outdo him here on the things that make an Assassin an Assassin. The projects I will do here include repairing and replacing bits of my wardrobe with a focus on rotating in my higher quality clothes, leveling up my daily grooming from ultra-practical to something attempting a little actual style, and a classy European-style aperitifs-and-tapas hour when I get home from work ready for a little rest and First Dinner before getting some jobs done. (This is the adulting version of having a snack and a glass of water when I get home.)

This will also involve getting back in the habit of making actual things with recipes and planning and cultural connotations, rather than just going with the fastest and most basic form of slapping nutrition onto the table. (Admittedly, it involves it primarily through the stocking of a bar.)

Part III: Be a Better Lover Than Rufus Drumknott

"I believe he collects different types of stationery," said Vetinari. "I have sometimes speculated that he might change his life for the better should he meet a young lady willing to dress up as a manila envelope."

All this lifestyle-leveling-up requires a certain amount of organization and schedule-wrangling. Being the world's greatest is demanding. And for me, leveling up the bachelor pad is going to center on organizing: not just finding the right place for everything, but finding the right use for everything, and the most efficient way to organize it all. Where the Lord Rust half of this focuses on making everything I own beautiful, the Drumknott portion involves making it all useful, and also includes recycling things I don't use into things I do. Things will fit into the storage I already have, be more organized, and work better.

This part of the challenge also includes some related AV geek projects related to getting routines and tasks scheduled and supported, and improving the apartment's digital infrastructure, because Drumknott is clearly an AV and digital infrastructure geek at heart.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

For sleep, of course. I don't know what you're thinking

You know exactly what we are thinking.

35 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

While Assassin-School-trained, Lord Ronald Rust did not particularly benefit from the lessons on style. So I think I can outdo him here on the things that make an Assassin an Assassin. The projects I will do here include repairing and replacing bits of my wardrobe with a focus on rotating in my higher quality clothes, leveling up my daily grooming from ultra-practical to something attempting a little actual style, and a classy European-style aperitifs-and-tapas hour when I get home from work ready for a little rest and First Dinner before getting some jobs done. (This is the adulting version of having a snack and a glass of water when I get home.)

I found binge-watching Queer-Eye on Netflix very helpful for inspiration in this regard. It got me to start shopping at a Big-And-Tall store that actually has things in my size, and to up my groming game.

• Like 4

Part I: Casanunda Training

Not Done

1. Watch episode 1 of Casanova and take notes
  2. Ditto episode 2
  3. Ditto episode 3
  4. To assist with yoga, measure the coffee table for caster inserts and order them
  5. Order casters to fit the inserts
  6. Install them

Part II: Be a Better Lover Than Lord Rust

Done

1. Get a haircut
  2. Get shoe polish
  3. Get curly hair care products
  4. Get mascara and sharpen the eyeliner
  5. Get body shimmer, cuz glitter
  6. Get lemons for limoncello
  7. Cut up an orange for drink garnishes (I have no idea how long this will keep, but...)
  8. Order reusable toothpicks for tapas hour to fit the vintage toothpick holder that somehow ended up in my kitchen stuff (these ended up being bento fork-style picks, so I'm sort of guessing on the fit, but we'll see - if they don't do it, there are other options)
  9. Get a bottle brush
  10. Get reusable cocktail picks
  11. Polish my shoes
  12. Top up the bottle of vanilla while I'm making extracts
  13. Make a small bottle of chocolate nib extract for homemade Bailey's
  14. Get mint for the watercress fountain
  15. Make a shopping list of tapas ingredients

Not Done

1. Break in the pair of Doc Marten shoes
  2. Inspect clothes for pieces that need replacing
  3. Buy a couple of pieces to make the clothes I don't wear more useful
  4. Figure out if I can do some maintenance on that old wool coat that feels a little brittle and dry
  5. Organize my bathroom counter better by replacing the basket with my daily use stuff with a better tote that's being underutilized
  6. Restock the bar basics
  7. Restock the wine rack
  8. Find jars for infusing
  9. Make two bottles of limoncello
  10. Make a bottle of coffee liqueur
  11. Make homemade tonic water
  12. Make homemade bitters

Part III: Be a Better Lover Than Rufus Drumknott

Done

1. Order folders and hanging file folders
  2. Start file labels
  3. Get a USB hub

Not Done

1. Preliminary filing/sorting of the box of papers I collected on my most recent cleaning pass
  2. Ditto of the files and manuals in the kitchen cupboard
  3. Ditto on the broken inbox
  4. Ditto on the magazine file of things to be filed
  5. Fix the DVR antenna
  6. Set up the new DVR disk
  7. Redo the wiring running behind the TV
  8. Set up the bathroom audio player
  9. Set up NAS mounting on the DVR
  10. Set up NAS mounting on the computer
  11. Set up a calendar on my intranet with challenge tasks laid out
  12. Ditto for another project
  13. Ditto for events
  14. Work on the watering automation for my watercress fountain and potted plants

Hopefully this won't grow too much beyond an average of one a day.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

wait... Rust went to the Assassin’s school?  

All aristocrats do, it's the best education in town. But, as has been observed, not all of them do the dark syllabus; some get notes from their mother saying they're excused from stabbing today.

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

As it is, here for the step ladders, and the greatest infatuation story nearly told..,

Step ladders will definitely feature during this challenge, because I'm too short to reach the top shelves of the kitchen cabinets.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Better than Rust, better than Drumknott... looks like you're climbing the ladder. Good luck :) 

Everyone has to start somewhere. :)

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:42 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You know exactly what we are thinking.

I'm not a mind reader, you know. Nor a medium (verging on small).

On 2/10/2020 at 8:42 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I found binge-watching Queer-Eye on Netflix very helpful for inspiration in this regard. It got me to start shopping at a Big-And-Tall store that actually has things in my size, and to up my groming game.

My only streaming is Amazon, but maybe the library has DVDs...

• Haha 1

There is a Casanova series? Tell me about this thing.

You have an impressive task list. I know you marked products for curly hair as complete, so this may not be as helpful for you. Elf just got the set of Coconut Curls shampoo, conditioner and hair gel; and likes them a lot.

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

There is a Casanova series? Tell me about this thing.

Miniseries, about ten years old. BBC thing with David Tennant and Peter O'Toole. (Who, come to think of it, is mere letters away from a Bondian Plenty O'Toole joke, which seems appropriate.)

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

Elf just got the set of Coconut Curls shampoo, conditioner and hair gel; and likes them a lot

I got a bunch of Garnier stuff, mostly leave-in defrizzing stuff, which is pretty good so far. I can at least wear my hair down without it being all tangled at the end of the day, and it's a bit less dry.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Elf just got the set of Coconut Curls shampoo, conditioner

Speaking of conditioner, you know a lot about wool. I have a well-made slightly older wool coat that feels a bit dry and brittle. (It's not ancient, maybe 20-30 years. But it's the kind of coat that should be good for another 20, if I don't mind slightly worn cuffs.) I've been trying to figure out how to maintain it, and the closest I've come to an answer is, "well, it's basically hair; use a silicone-free conditioner on it". But I have no idea. What would you recommend to moisturize old wool?

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Speaking of conditioner, you know a lot about wool. I have a well-made slightly older wool coat that feels a bit dry and brittle. (It's not ancient, maybe 20-30 years. But it's the kind of coat that should be good for another 20, if I don't mind slightly worn cuffs.) I've been trying to figure out how to maintain it, and the closest I've come to an answer is, "well, it's basically hair; use a silicone-free conditioner on it". But I have no idea. What would you recommend to moisturize old wool?

I bet dry cleaners would know how to treat it. I gave mine to them (first and last time I've had something dry cleaned) and it came back looking so... fresh? I wasn't expecting it. I think they even took some pills off. 

I agree with Harriet, get it cleaned first. Smaller wool items can be hand washed at home. For a wool coat I would go to a dry cleaner. Most wool coat fabric is partially felted. That makes it thicker and warmer, but unstable when wet. It could easily be stretched or shrunk if not treated carefully.

Wool absorbs moisture from the air very easily. It can gain 30% of its weight without feeling damp. That is great for continuing to be insulating on a hike in the mist, but it does get heavy. You could use a steamer (or a tea kettle) to expose it to moisture. See if that helps. It will gradually go back to equilibrium with the air in your closet.

A lanolin spray would be ideal. However, any type of oil applied to wool will attract dust. Trade-offs. You can make your own lanolin spray by melting lanolin in water, agitating to make a homogeneous mixture, then spraying it on your coat. It will moisturize it and improve the waterproofing at the same time. Let it dry with good air circulation before putting it back in the closet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

I bet dry cleaners would know how to treat it. I gave mine to them (first and last time I've had something dry cleaned) and it came back looking so... fresh? I wasn't expecting it. I think they even took some pills off. 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

For a wool coat I would go to a dry cleaner.

Interesting. I had assumed the brittleness was the result of dry cleaning chemicals. I think it has actually been dry-cleaned since it was last worn. Maybe I'll just start by hanging it in the bathroom and letting it absorb some steam.

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 3

Sleep: Better

Yoga: TBA, but probably not

Done: 15

Undone: 35

The weekend needs to be Drumknotted. My sleep schedule (and rule about phones in the bedroom) broke, and I'm only just getting it fixed. And that affected food yesterday. I'm getting it together again.

On the Rust front, I wore something decorative rather than just utilitarian, tried some new curly hair shit, and put on some body shimmer. For me, that's super fancy.

My bento picks have arrived, and they're going to be great. They were kinda short for the toothpick holder, so I made a cardboard riser to go into it and waterproofed the top, and then arranged the picks. The set of 12 fits perfectly. They're slightly kawaii, as one might expect from bento crap, but they don't have faces, so I can live with it. (These are heart shaped, so they're a bit borderline, but I can put them out for adults to use without it being too wild.) So I've given a previously useless knickknack a purpose, added a necessary eating tool to my kitchen, opted for reusable over disposable, and enabled my pretentious Euro cliche lifestyle. Net cost: $5.

I'm about to pour a glass of wine and use the crap out of them with some olives and cheese cubes, like the finest swordsman and outrageous liar I am.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following again. It's been a while since I read about Casanunda so I have forgotten a bunch

Same, although the library just popped the ebook onto my tablet, right on time for the challenge.

Re: Bar basics, what do you consider bar basics? I don’t drink that often so my bar tends to be rather minimal. Largest thing in it right now is my small whiskey collection....

3 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Re: Bar basics, what do you consider bar basics? I don’t drink that often so my bar tends to be rather minimal. Largest thing in it right now is my small whiskey collection....

For me, it's traditionally been just gin, spiced rum, and sweet vermouth. But lately I've had some vodka there, and I'm trying to learn some new recipes and stuff, so there'll probably also be some white rum, dry vermouth, the odd amaro. Plus I have a nice whiskey decanter going unused and a whiskey drinker visiting soon, so I'll be finding some sort of whiskey. Sparkling wine, because a lot of the recipes I want to try are Italian-style fizzy aperitifs. A decent everyday wine for dinner.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

For me, it's traditionally been just gin, spiced rum, and sweet vermouth. But lately I've had some vodka there, and I'm trying to learn some new recipes and stuff, so there'll probably also be some white rum, dry vermouth, the odd amaro. Plus I have a nice whiskey decanter going unused and a whiskey drinker visiting soon, so I'll be finding some sort of whiskey. Sparkling wine, because a lot of the recipes I want to try are Italian-style fizzy aperitifs. A decent everyday wine for dinner.

Re: Whiskey

My downstairs neighbors got me Larceny Bourbon which seems to be a pretty reasonable price for how tasty it was.  I'm not a well experienced Whiskey drinker, but it was really good.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Re: Whiskey

My downstairs neighbors got me Larceny Bourbon which seems to be a pretty reasonable price for how tasty it was.  I'm not a well experienced Whiskey drinker, but it was really good.

I'll have a look for it locally. I am partial to a good Manhattan.

If you're looking for good Vodka, Sobieski's cheap and drinks like water. I've lately had to start learning how to make drinks with this and it's as good a base as any.