Sara Kingdom's Valentine's Day Casanunda Challenge

sarakingdom

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What do you look for in whiskey? There are some amazing Texas whiskeys out there.

Mostly, I look for someone else to drink it. :D

26 minutes ago, Kishi said:

If you're looking for good Vodka, Sobieski's cheap and drinks like water. I've lately had to start learning how to make drinks with this and it's as good a base as any.

I think I've got one. I found a decent gin, so I'm going for their vodka next. (Though vodka is something I basically consider interchangable. The definition of what it is, is essentially uniform.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

I think I've got one. I found a decent gin, so I'm going for their vodka next. (Though vodka is something I basically consider interchangable. The definition of what it is, is essentially uniform.)

Cool! If you do anything with it, please do feel free to post about it. So far all I've got is vodka soda which isn't bad but surely there's more...

3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Cool! If you do anything with it, please do feel free to post about it. So far all I've got is vodka soda which isn't bad but surely there's more...

I'm gonna be trying White Russians with homemade coffee liqueur.

Vodka and soda water are two tasteless ingredients I only consider good enough to support other things. Put a flavor in there, man. Vodka soda is a punishment, not a drink. :P

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

31 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm gonna be trying White Russians with homemade coffee liqueur.

The trick to a good White Russian is to go the Bond route. I have a buddy who makes them very well, better than any I've had in a bar. Most Bar White Russians simply pour all the ingredients into a cup, the way The Dude makes his. This is not the way. Get a cocktail shaker and some large ice cubes, and shake that bad boy up. It will make so much difference.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm reposting this to the second page, so I don't need to keep flipping back.

Part I: Casanunda Training

Underway

1. To assist with yoga, measure the coffee table for caster inserts and order them

Not Done

1. Watch episode 1 of Casanova and take notes
  2. Ditto episode 2
  3. Ditto episode 3
  4. Order casters to fit the inserts
  5. Install them

Part II: Be a Better Lover Than Lord Rust

Done

1. Get a haircut
  2. Get shoe polish
  3. Get curly hair care products
  4. Get mascara and sharpen the eyeliner
  5. Get body shimmer, cuz glitter
  6. Get lemons for limoncello
  7. Cut up an orange for drink garnishes (I have no idea how long this will keep, but...)
  8. Order reusable toothpicks for tapas hour to fit the vintage toothpick holder that somehow ended up in my kitchen stuff (these ended up being bento fork-style picks, so I'm sort of guessing on the fit, but we'll see - if they don't do it, there are other options)
  9. Get a bottle brush
  10. Get reusable cocktail picks
  11. Polish my shoes
  12. Top up the bottle of vanilla while I'm making extracts
  13. Make a small bottle of chocolate nib extract for homemade Bailey's
  14. Get mint for the watercress fountain
  15. Make a shopping list of tapas ingredients
  16. Restock the bar basics
  17. Restock the wine rack

Underway

1. Figure out if I can do some maintenance on that old wool coat that feels a little brittle and dry
  2. Make a bottle of coffee liqueur

Not Done

1. Break in the pair of Doc Marten shoes
  2. Inspect clothes for pieces that need replacing
  3. Buy a couple of pieces to make the clothes I don't wear more useful
  4. Organize my bathroom counter better by replacing the basket with my daily use stuff with a better tote that's being underutilized
  5. Find jars for infusing
  6. Make two bottles of limoncello
  7. Make homemade tonic water

Part III: Be a Better Lover Than Rufus Drumknott

Done

1. Order folders and hanging file folders
  2. Start file labels
  3. Get a USB hub
  4. Clean the top half of the fridge

Underway

1. Preliminary filing/sorting of the box of papers I collected on my most recent cleaning pass
  2. Ditto of the files and manuals in the kitchen cupboard
  3. Work on the watering automation for my watercress fountain and potted plants

Not Done

1. Ditto on the broken inbox
  2. Ditto on the magazine file of things to be filed
  3. Fix the DVR antenna
  4. Set up the new DVR disk
  5. Redo the wiring running behind the TV
  6. Set up the bathroom audio player
  7. Set up NAS mounting on the DVR
  8. Set up NAS mounting on the computer
  9. Set up a calendar on my intranet with challenge tasks laid out
  10. Ditto for another project
  11. Ditto for events
  12. Clean the bottom half of the fridge

The casters might be a harder job than I'd hoped, so it night get replaced with another option.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The trick to a good White Russian is to go the Bond route. I have a buddy who makes them very well, better than any I've had in a bar. Most Bar White Russians simply pour all the ingredients into a cup, the way The Dude makes his. This is not the way. Get a cocktail shaker and some large ice cubes, and shake that bad boy up. It will make so much difference.

Sounds legit. I have added a cocktail shaker.

I got a fancy artisanal citrus reamer for Christmas that I'm going to also use as a muddler so it's no longer a unitasker, and so I have an excuse to leave it out. And I have an odd pottery vase I made in college that will be perfect for my reusable straws and cocktail picks. I'm going to have the strangest cobbled-together bar of scavenged art pieces. But I'm determined to find uses for the shit I own. Everything is going to be used to utmost efficiency. (Vetinari would be proud.)

• Like 2

It is cold. I do not approve of this. What an annoyance.

I got groceries today, and thus the last thing I want to do tonight is anything, but dinner must be made and laundry must be done, at the very least.

Also, I labeled some file folders, because label printers are fun toys. I'm feeling better about this filing thing, because I now believe there will be places to put things.

But the moment I can hire a valet, Jeeves is going to take over putting the groceries away and making dinner. (This is a bit spoiled of me, since I actually got my groceries delivered, so my effort was minimal. But it's cold and I'm cranky, and I have not had food.)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Also, I labeled some file folders, because label printers are fun toys. I'm feeling better about this filing thing, because I now believe there will be places to put things.

I love the lable printer at work; I should borrow it one weekend.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

I love the lable printer at work; I should borrow it one weekend.

You should. Labels are the best. Everything is better with labels.

(Also, while labeling, I got a Papercut of Honor. Drumknott would approve.)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Sounds legit. I have added a cocktail shaker.

I got a fancy artisanal citrus reamer for Christmas that I'm going to also use as a muddler so it's no longer a unitasker, and so I have an excuse to leave it out. And I have an odd pottery vase I made in college that will be perfect for my reusable straws and cocktail picks. I'm going to have the strangest cobbled-together bar of scavenged art pieces. But I'm determined to find uses for the shit I own. Everything is going to be used to utmost efficiency. (Vetinari would be proud.)

Elf has several cocktail shakers because they make fancy drinks for their friends. I like the idea of using scavenged art pieces for everyday things. Useful AND beautiful.

We just purchased stainless steel straws. Dumbledore likes to use straws in his drinks. We were accumulating a big jar of used straws that no one in the house was willing to wash. The stainless steel ones are dishwasher safe. We also purchased a long skinny brush for cleaning them, just in case. He likes them, except they get cold with iced drinks. I'm supposed to find Tygon tubing to put on the tips.

14 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

But the moment I can hire a valet, Jeeves is going to take over putting the groceries away and making dinner. (This is a bit spoiled of me, since I actually got my groceries delivered, so my effort was minimal. But it's cold and I'm cranky, and I have not had food.)

I endorse the above strategy. Dumbledore has been doing the grocery shopping and made dinner last night. Win.

• Like 2

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Elf has several cocktail shakers because they make fancy drinks for their friends. I like the idea of using scavenged art pieces for everyday things. Useful AND beautiful.

I'm theoretically in favor of cocktail shakers; any way that one can live like Myrna Lot in The Thin Man should be encouraged. I just don't really drink enough to have gotten one before. But it'll get used.

I don't know how beautiful it'll end up being, but it'll have some character, at least.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

He likes them, except they get cold with iced drinks. I'm supposed to find Tygon tubing to put on the tips.

Delay until he gets used to it. He will.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I endorse the above strategy. Dumbledore has been doing the grocery shopping and made dinner last night. Win.

Me of last night finally got it together and made an amazing Thai curry, so me of tonight can be lazy about dinner.

• Like 4

This has been SUCH a zero week. Poor sleep, my cleaning gains slipped, and I had two days of food issues I haven't had in a long time. Plus tons of focus problems, beyond what I'd expect for the lack of sleep.

I'm reluctant to spend Saturday aggressively resting™, because I don't like having a day where nothing gets done, and it might throw off my sleep. But man, I could sure use it. I could sure use a day of multitasking at resting. (Can you rest twice at the same time? That's what I need.)

• Like 5

Rest is good, you should do that. Not sure how to multitask rest with more rest, but if you find a way, let us know.

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper shows  up on Time

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Rest is good, you should do that. Not sure how to multitask rest with more rest, but if you find a way, let us know.

Probably the wise Zen answer is that multitasking isn't the right way to go, and one should focus on one rest task at a time for true rest. But I ditched the shouty fire sensei for this challenge and took on Discworld, so I can make as many unwise decisions as I like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I changed into pajamas the second I got home, cuz exhausted. And found that some thoughtful person left me a really good Thai red curry for dinner. (Me. It was me.) Also, I got compliments on my hair today, and they were right, cuz it has been pretty on point this week. The new curl crap is pretty good.

I think, it being Valentine's Day, and this being a Casanunda challenge, I really have to spend it in bed. With someone special, for maximum authenticity. (Me. That's also me.) Seriously, though, I'm tired, and I have a tablet full of undemanding TV.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

(Can you rest twice at the same time? That's what I need.)

With time travel. But then you shorten your life (from a god's eye view, not from a personal perspective) so there's no real benefit.

As for the cocktails. Do you ever. Look at a list of cocktails. And wish you knew more things so you could know what to order? I know what whisky is. But what's all that other stuff? How will I know if I'm going to like it or hate it? Why are there so many ingredients I don't recognise? How can I master this mysterious realm? 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

With time travel. But then you shorten your life (from a god's eye view, not from a personal perspective) so there's no real benefit.

And I think it's very unlikely to make either the version of me in the correct timeline and the version of me who isn't feel double-rested afterwards.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

As for the cocktails. Do you ever. Look at a list of cocktails. And wish you knew more things so you could know what to order? I know what whisky is. But what's all that other stuff? How will I know if I'm going to like it or hate it? Why are there so many ingredients I don't recognise? How can I master this mysterious realm? 

For me, it's the other stuff that's where the interest is. My usual limited go-to list is all centered around the herbs and spices that are infused in it. (Heck, till now, infusing booze to get liqueurs has kind of been the extent of my home bartending.) Hard liquor is pretty boring straight. And once it's in a cocktail, 95% of its job is to just be alcoholic and not clash with the other flavors. For me, the interest in a drink is all the other stuff they add. So I do recognize the basics of a number of the common liqueurs, and what I don't know, I can generally guess the basics of from context. Are the mixers fruity or floral? Creamy or acidic? Bitter or salty? Based on coffee or ginger or chocolate? Is the hard liquor pretty concentrated with few, fairly alcoholic ingredients, or is it diluted into a larger drink where it's going to be less dominant in each sip? Have they infused it with something odd that's going to add a really strong and unexpected flavor, like thyme or lavender simple syrup? Then I don't need to recognize every last ingredient, I get the basic direction they're going. (If it's lavender-infused, that's a hard no. Anything else, I can basically trust that they know what they're doing, so long as I'm in the mood for what they've got going on.)

• Like 1

I was asleep by 9pm, guys. I was too tired even for undemanding TV. That's embarrassing. (And I'm about to be asleep again in just a minute.)

This is far in excess of what I expected from my sleep issues; my deficit isn't too bad. So I'm looking at this week's widespread willpower fails, including the unexpected food ones, and I'm thinking I will attribute them to fighting off whatever caused me to be asleep by 9pm. Something is obviously exhausting me, and if it's not lack of sleep or lack of food or literally marching up Everest every day, it's probably my immune system.

I think this officially makes Saturday a sick day, though I'm hoping it's one where I'll get things done at some point. Some point after I sleep a ton.

• Like 5

I hope you are still asleep.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, chemgeek said:

There's a lot of really nasty colds and flus going around today. If your body is saying that it needs rest, it probably does.

Yeah, I think I'm switching to official sick day protocol, and not pushing anything else. It makes sense of all those random food fails that weren't things I'd even been tempted to do before this week.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you are still asleep.

I am. I'm so, so asleep. I'm having my morning nap.

• Like 5

Right. Morning nap, check. I'd say it was time for an afternoon nap, except that my hydration is off. I think this will take actual focus on some electrolytes. And while I'm doing that, I might as well throw some elderberry tea at my incipient whatever before I get it. And if I'm going to the trouble of making tea, probably I should get a good breakfast into me so I have some stuff to repair cells with. Which makes this an official project.

Then I can have my afternoon nap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Then I can have my afternoon nap.

Or, in fact, I can't, because I placed a delivery order, and I have to be both awake and dressed when it arrives. Oh well. I'm running behind schedule on food and hydration, so this may be a good thing.

• Like 2

Right. I've done some things. Time for my early evening nap.

• Like 2