The Courtyard (Monk General Chat)

RisenPhoenix

Apparently something big and important happened ten years ago. Something nerdy...?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 2/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, ChrisWithaStick said:

I aren’t dead and may post a challenge.  Definitely need to re—ground/get back on track.  

I'm waiting...

Also, who's gonna drag ICB back for the anniversary challenge?

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Ten years. Lord.

So, uh. How we all feelin' about that?

I've been trying to figure out how long I've been on these forums, and I'm still confused if it's two years, or less or more than two years. So I'm feeling a little confused.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I've been trying to figure out how long I've been on these forums, and I'm still confused if it's two years, or less or more than two years. So I'm feeling a little confused.

If you click on your avatar it will take you to your profile page which shows when you joined. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you click on your avatar it will take you to your profile page which shows when you joined. 

But that takes work, and I'm firmly against doing that once I clock out from my actual work. :P 

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

5 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

But that takes work, and I'm firmly against doing that once I clock out from my actual work. :P 

What if I told you that you get the same effect from hovering your mouse over your username?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What if I told you that you get the same effect from hovering your mouse over your username?

Actually, I normally just click the Tutorial link in my signature, since that is my first challenge, and that is what I count. To me, it doesn't matter when I created my account... when I created my first challenge, that's when I really became a Rebel and later a Warrior, and that is the true start date. :) 

• That's Metal 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“One of the Old Ones is known as the Sleeper. It’s said his tomb is somewhere under the Pacific. And that goddamned moron Lovecraft published stories and easy-to-remember rhymes about the thing.” He shook his head. “The signal boost gave the Sleeper enough power to influence the world. It has a number of cults. People get . . . infested, I guess. Slowly go insane. Lose their humanity. Turn into something else.”

I remembered the captain’s open mouth and writhing tentacles and shivered. “So you think that’s what is happening here? A Sleeper cult?”

So, who's reading TDF? I'm 10% done with Grave Peril. For like the 4th time. One of the many things I'm have discovered thanks to this Guild.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

45 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

One of the Old Ones is known as the Sleeper. It’s said his tomb is somewhere under the Pacific.

Normally people don't narrate their return to the forums in the third person, but I can roll with it.

• Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 2/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, The Shogun said:

“One of the Old Ones is known as the Sleeper. It’s said his tomb is somewhere under the Pacific. And that goddamned moron Lovecraft published stories and easy-to-remember rhymes about the thing.” He shook his head. “The signal boost gave the Sleeper enough power to influence the world. It has a number of cults. People get . . . infested, I guess. Slowly go insane. Lose their humanity. Turn into something else.”

I remembered the captain’s open mouth and writhing tentacles and shivered. “So you think that’s what is happening here? A Sleeper cult?”

So, who's reading TDF? I'm 10% done with Grave Peril. For like the 4th time. One of the many things I'm have discovered thanks to this Guild.

I reread them every year or so. Here's to Peace Talks finally coming out this year!!

Also, Dresden fans may find Clara Coulson's Frost Arcana books enjoyable, and should probably also check out the first Hound of Hades book (which may or may not be written by an author of whom I am a partisan).

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

On 2/14/2020 at 7:13 PM, The Shogun said:

6 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I reread them every year or so. Here's to Peace Talks finally coming out this year!!

Yup! Stoked about it. TBH, I've kind of been worried about Butcher - he got so quiet I was like "Someone should check on that man." But he sounds like he's in good spirits, and it's not exactly like I can just walk up and be like, "Bruh. You good?"

I'm hoping that the Audiobook version releases at the same time because making time to read anything is hard these days.

6 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Also, Dresden fans may find Clara Coulson's Frost Arcana books enjoyable, and should probably also check out the first Hound of Hades book (which may or may not be written by an author of whom I am a partisan).

I took a look per your recommendations just now and seeing that Frost Arcana is apparently set in NC, I'm here for it. I'm currently working my way through Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone series per the request of one of my local friends who is majorly into YA. It's got some good stuff, but I think her character work and the way she weaves representation into it is really skillfully done. I recommend Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom over the original trilogy that started it off, although the original series is perfectly passable for what it is.

10 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I just started reading Last Wish, but it's good to know I have options.

I also re-read them every year or so, especially since I devour them ad I'm done in a couple of weeks. And as soon I saw the announcment for Peace Talks, I started listening/reading TDF again. It's actually what I listen to while I run. Can't wait to run and yell PARKOUR! 

Current Challenge

4 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yup! Stoked about it. TBH, I've kind of been worried about Butcher - he got so quiet I was like "Someone should check on that man." But he sounds like he's in good spirits, and it's not exactly like I can just walk up and be like, "Bruh. You good?"

I'm hoping that the Audiobook version releases at the same time because making time to read anything is hard these days.

I took a look per your recommendations just now and seeing that Frost Arcana is apparently set in NC, I'm here for it. I'm currently working my way through Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone series per the request of one of my local friends who is majorly into YA. It's got some good stuff, but I think her character work and the way she weaves representation into it is really skillfully done. I recommend Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom over the original trilogy that started it off, although the original series is perfectly passable for what it is.

TDF is one of the few books I'd rather listen to than read, don't know why... but the difference is not thaaat much. I'm currently more into listening fiction and leaving the reading to non-fiction. 

I'm taking note of all those recommendations, as soon as I'm done with The Witcher, I'll need more fiction or I'll end up reading Harry Potter.... again.

Current Challenge

25 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

That was a warning to the dangers of waking up really old beings, not a narrative announcement.

Sweetie, you have 600 flabby tentacles to get in shape after your time buried at the bottom of the sea. Do you really have time to half-heartedly threaten me with vague warnings?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, sarakingdom said:

Sweetie, you have 600 flabby tentacles to get in shape after your time buried at the bottom of the sea. Do you really have time to half-heartedly threaten me with vague warnings?

Oh, no, you're entirely safe. It's @Tanktimus the Encourager who should be afraid of my non-Hentai 600 flabby ancient tentacles. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

28 minutes ago, The Shogun said:

Oh, no, you're entirely safe. It's @Tanktimus the Encourager who should be afraid of my non-Hentai 600 flabby ancient tentacles. 

Oh, that's all right, then. He's a ranger, he thrives with things chasing him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Shogun said:

That's why I have my whackum stick and my Big Damn Sword.

43 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, that's all right, then. He's a ranger, he thrives with things chasing him.

For better or worse, I won't run. Too hard to use the aforementioned stick and sword running away from the tentacles.

Current Challenge