Bigm, Wandering Warrior, Stops in for the Festivities

bigm141414

Hello you beautiful nerds. 

All of these anniversary posts have got me feeling a bit nostalgic. So here I am. 

Origin Story

In the very distant past, I was mountain biking as my main activity of choice. Mainly because of my roommate at the time. I was slow and not in terribly good strength, I so I fired up the ol' computer in search of work outs that would make me stronger and faster on the bike. This led me to a site called bikejames.com which introduced me to kettlebells and non-traditional (e.g non-basic-gym-bro workouts) workouts to get stronger. This sent me off looking for more. And I stumbled upon Steve's 300 workout blog hosted on a site called nerdfitness.com. Seemed like a good place for motivation since I was and am a big ol' nerd. I found the writing style and the ideas more accessible than stuff I had read on other sites. It was geared towards nerdy memes and acceptance that there are many ways to get in shape and that your journey doesn't have to follow the same as everyone else. 

That was 2009, a year before the forum, and I read his articles as they came out. When the forums were announced I was there watching from the wings. I didn't immediately join because it was 2009 and the internet was full of creeps and weirdos right? So I waited a bit and read the forums, which weren't all that active in those days. I finally bit the bullet and joined 10 years ago in April. I posted a few things and joined the 6th challenge (spezzy beat me by one challenge), which I promptly freaked out and disappeared. I still read the blogs and lurked on threads as I watched a bunch of OG nerds set the tone for what would become my favorite online home, that tone which continues today. I didn't get involved again for almost a year later when the forums were going through their first great flourishing. 

And the rest is history. I know so much lore that it seems impossible sometimes to write it all down in a single post. I've had ups and downs, bouts where I've vanished completely and yet I am still coming back here to witness the same community still chugging along. It's going to take multiple posts to cover all of the cool things I've witnessed. 

I've met some amazing people over the last ten years of being here. A few I still keep in touch with, some that I hear from infrequently, and some that I recall and remember fondly from time to time and I hope they do the same, knowing that they've made an impact on my life. 

Alright now for goals, we're going to start small and really only talk about the next few weeks and not the whole year: 

Goal Number 1 - Fix yo squat

• My bench and deadlift numbers are back close to where they were at the height of my powers. I've been benching 195 for reps and I hit 485 deadlifts today as a personal best in many years. 
  • My squat however has lagged far behind. Last heavy set was somewhere in the 230s months ago and I haven't focused on it much. The main reason is timing (I have access to a squat rack in my garage but lifting after work has been a struggle because traffic sucks the soul out of me) and the other is psychological. I messed up my left knee and left ankle over a year ago and I am still afraid of rehurting them when I get under a barbell. 
  • To rememdy this I have 3 days a week of squats planned: 1 day follows the 5/3/1 template for heavy days, the other 2 follows a conditioning program my old weightlifting coach gave me for volume. This consists of 3/6 front squat/back squat paused supersets. 4-6 sets a session. This sounds as bad as you'd think so it'll be light weight. 
  • I also have 2 days for deadlifts (one day is Coan DL program day, 1 day is 5/3/1 template day) and a bench/OHP day (both which follow the 5/3/1 template)

Spoiler

Also, here's my DL max attempt from today for funsies.

Goal Number 2: Cardio Bunny

• Gonna get back into running because my cardio sucks and I want to not huff and puff so much when I go hiking. Luckily this is easy enough to do since my office gym has both treadmills and Peloton bikes to make it less sucky.
  • Ideally I want to get back to running non-stop for 5 minute intervals by the end of the challenge. 

Goal Number 3: Fix the foods

• I am a bit pudgy right now so I am going to cut down on the booze and the heavy meals. 
  • I wish I can just out run and out lift my fork into some weight loss, but I should probably be more mindful of my lunches and snacking while at work.  
  • I know how to do all of these things, it just takes a bit of will power on my part. 

Goal Number 4: Zeeeeeee Abs! 

• Work on mine abs. They are weak 
  • 4 ab sessions a week. Hollow holds, planks, flutter kicks, side twists, ab wheel. Just do it. 
  • This will also help basically everything since a weak core means weak lifts. 

Any ways, I am sure there will be more reminiscing about the rebellion as we old timers are wont to do.  

• Like 8

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

That gif makes me cringe. That facial brush will never be clean again!

Also following for squat progress, since I have a similar fear of reinjury to my right knee.

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

I remember the days when you had like 80 zillion alts all with a bigm variation so you could see the forums from different perspectives.

Back when I was still powerlifting my squat always lagged behind bench and DL. I never got to your numbers before I switched over to Kettlebells, but squats were never my favorite. I think it was you who first broached the idea that the ratio of the length of the femur to the length of the rest of the body means either squats or DLs will tend to be easier for a person.

Also, nice shirt in that video.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Who, us?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

That's a pretty delightful deadlift number you've got there!

D'awww shucks. Thank you. 

50 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Also following for squat progress, since I have a similar fear of reinjury to my right knee.

Injuries are just the worst. Physically they heal quick but the mental shenanigans are the worst. Wanna trade knees so we both have a complete uninjured set? 

47 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nice origin story. I didn’t know you were ever anything other than a power lifter.

It took me years to find my niche with barbells and strength training. I did a fair bit of mountain and road biking back in the day as well as climbing/caving when I was in high school and college. I still road bike from time to time when the weather is nice. My mountain bike is still disassembled from when I moved years ago and needs a serious deep clean. I have the beginning of a whispering of a plan to hit Tahoe this summer and take the ol' girl out. 

35 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I remember the days when you had like 80 zillion alts all with a bigm variation so you could see the forums from different perspectives.

Oh man. I forgot about my army of alts! I wonder if they still work. I don't miss those early days of debugging the forum software. It's way better these days. 

Back when I was still powerlifting my squat always lagged behind bench and DL. I never got to your numbers before I switched over to Kettlebells, but squats were never my favorite. I think it was you who first broached the idea that the ratio of the length of the femur to the length of the rest of the body means either squats or DLs will tend to be easier for a person.

It may have been, and leg length is a big factor in squat performance. I am definitely not the ideal squat shape since I have legs for days and a relatively short torso. DLs for me are silly easy because I even though I have long legs, my arms are just as long so it evens out. 

Also, nice shirt in that video.

Why thank you :) OG nerd reppin' the OG merch. I have two greys, one of the blue shield shirts, and my treasure the NF Mod hammer shirt. I hope the merch shop opens again because I need new grey shirts for lifting. 

• Like 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

3 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Injuries are just the worst. Physically they heal quick but the mental shenanigans are the worst. Wanna trade knees so we both have a complete uninjured set? 

The mental shenanigans are the reason I love my compression knee sleeves. They make it easier to squat.

And I don't think my insurance covers that kind of medical procedure, so I think will have to pass. You would still have your ankle to worry about too, so perhaps better to trade with someone who can adress both the knee and the ankle issue?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

11 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Goal Number 1 - Fix yo squat

• To rememdy this I have 3 days a week of squats planned: 1 day follows the 5/3/1 template for heavy days, the other 2 follows a conditioning program my old weightlifting coach gave me for volume. This consists of 3/6 front squat/back squat paused supersets. 4-6 sets a session. This sounds as bad as you'd think so it'll be light weight. 
  Reveal hidden contents

Goal Number 2: Cardio Bunny

• Ideally I want to get back to running non-stop for 5 minute intervals by the end of the challenge

Tore my quad 2 years ago and sprained my ankle something nasty last summer. High volume, low weight squats fixed both.

Deadlift was buttery smooth. 500 is definitely there already.

Any longer term running goals? I picked it up again as well, there will be much running in my workout logs.

10 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I have legs for days

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I have legs for days

Why thank you :) OG nerd reppin' the OG merch. I have two greys, one of the blue shield shirts, and my treasure the NF Mod hammer shirt. I hope the merch shop opens again because I need new grey shirts for lifting. 

It's such a good quality shirt. Still a staple in my 5-8 t-shirt rotation. Aaaaaaand I just realized I'm wearing it under my flannel right now.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Congrats on the PR! What metropolitan area do you live where traffic sucks.

I like your goal because squatting is the best

#doyourdamnabs (which I just pinned because I can never find it when I need it)

#

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

18 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

The mental shenanigans are the reason I love my compression knee sleeves. They make it easier to squat.

Knee sleeves are great for this. I got a pair a while back. They aren't technically compression, just enough stiffness to remind me where my joints should be during the movement.

8 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Any longer term running goals? I picked it up again as well, there will be much running in my workout logs.

Nah no real long term running goals. Just basic ability to survive a sprint if I needed to. Plus spring time is coming and that means hiking which is made easier by actually having some level of cardio capacity.  

8 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

giphy.gif

image.gif

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Why thank you. I'm in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. Traffic is the worst out here. I live 12 miles from my office and if I don't time it right it can take over 90min to go that far. I usually workout in the company gym in the mornings and leave around 4 to miss the worst of it, but I can't squat at the company gym because they don't have a power rack. And I can't squat in the mornings at home (even though I have a garage and all the equipment) because there is a neighbor right upstairs and I would feel bad waking them at 6am as I move plates around. 

Also false. Squatting is like 3rd best, deadlifts are king followed closely by snatches. 

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

jdanger knows all. I totally didn't do my abs when I was running his danger method last year. >.>

7 minutes ago, spezzy said:

giphy.gif

tumblr_nxo4z1wEWI1sftl2ro1_400.gif

15 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I'm in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. Traffic is the worst out here.

Still testing batteries and such, or have you moved on to something else?

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On 2/10/2020 at 8:55 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Deadlift was buttery smooth. 500 is definitely there already.

^^I second this

16 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Why thank you. I'm in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. Traffic is the worst out here. I live 12 miles from my office and if I don't time it right it can take over 90min to go that far. I usually workout in the company gym in the mornings and leave around 4 to miss the worst of it, but I can't squat at the company gym because they don't have a power rack. And I can't squat in the mornings at home (even though I have a garage and all the equipment) because there is a neighbor right upstairs and I would feel bad waking them at 6am as I move plates around. 

Ugh that sucks! Almost worth combo bike and public transit if it takes that long. icky.   Boooo for no power rack at the gym :( 

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

21 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

#

Gah thanks for reminding me this exists, MM! Definitely something for me to revisit and play around with / get back into.

And of course, bigm, glad to see you challenging - I knew you were OG, but I didn't realize you were that OG.

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

19 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

If that's not a justification for buying bumper plates I don't know what is.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This challenge has a lack of whiskey.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Okay so it's been a rough couple of days. Sunday I did deadlift max day and 5/3/1 bench. All the lifts were fine. The rest of the day was okay too. Coffee'd, read, errand'd but for the life of me I couldn't get to sleep. Like staring up at the ceiling until 4 am kind of night. 

I woke up on Monday at 8am, missed my alarm and was terribly sore. This led to an exhausting day at work (wooo lunch naps at my desk!). Seeing as I was this tired I decided not to lift and just go home read, and relax. The soreness didn't dissipate over night and again I slept terribly. Tuesday was even worse, I was a walking zombie at work and by the time I got home  (around 630) I read in bed until 830 and just crashed. Felt better on Wednesday but still not myself. Couldn't focus, thoughts were wrapped in wool, like my body got out of bed, but my mind was still chillin' at home. Again I puttered around at work. Another early night and no work outs. 

Today was much better. I felt refreshed and rested, and mostly like my old self. I was more interactive at work and I finally felt good enough to get under the bar. So I did my 5/3/1 squats when I got home tonight (traffic took an hour and 20 min today, one of the ugly days). 

Squats (lbs):

5 @ 145

5 @ 165

9 @ 190

Not bad. Still a little sore. Probably should have warmed up more but I was impatient. Haven't worked on zeee abs or the cardios in day since I was feeling out of it, but I plan to hit the work gym tomorrow morning if all goes well.

Lastly, not all was lost at work as I learned how to make my plots look like xkcd cartoon graphs. This will completely add a new level of professionalism to my reports. :D It's the small things that bring joy to my day job. 

image.png.c275bbd5004064cd4a6e56b035b1b2bb.png

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

2 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Lastly, not all was lost at work as I learned how to make my plots look like xkcd cartoon graphs. This will completely add a new level of professionalism to my reports. :D It's the small things that bring joy to my day job. 

image.png.c275bbd5004064cd4a6e56b035b1b2bb.png

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but this evidence is enough to convince me.

Now will someone kindly tell me what it is I therefore believe?

That stinks about feeling so bad after deadlifts. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Also, don't forget to warm up.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:21 AM, miss_marissa said:

Ugh that sucks! Almost worth combo bike and public transit if it takes that long. icky.   Boooo for no power rack at the gym :( 

I've looked into this and it is doable, although Caltran tickets are slightly expensive and my immediate neighborhood is kinda sketchy. I've got a train station 3 miles from me and the stop is right across the street from my work. I should at it to the yearly goals to just do this. At least once. And then it won't be so scary. A few others in my office ride to work frequently and there is even a cycling group that goes out every Thursday after work during Spring. That invite has been on my calendar for years. 

On 2/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If that's not a justification for buying bumper plates I don't know what is.

I do need more plates at home. The main reason I deadlift at work is because I ran out of iron in the garage. 

On 2/11/2020 at 10:39 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

And of course, bigm, glad to see you challenging - I knew you were OG, but I didn't realize you were that OG.

That's me, the old man OG. Come at me bro. 

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

This challenge has a lack of whiskey.

I mean, that's kind of the point, it's in my goals! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Lastly, not all was lost at work as I learned how to make my plots look like xkcd cartoon graphs.

HOW? Teach meeeee!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

45 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I do need more plates at home. The main reason I deadlift at work is because I ran out of iron in the garage. 

That's a pretty badass problem to have:

"Yeah... there aren't enough plates for my max deadlift." *hitches trousers, stares impressively into distance as nearby tiny lifters goggle*

Is the lack of sleep due to the soreness from the lifts, or are they unrelated? Hope you get some sweet oblivion sleep soon, either way. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

9 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I mean, that's kind of the point, it's in my goals! 

It’s cute you thought I spent time reading anything past the history portion. :P

• Haha 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

12 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I couldn't get to sleep. Like staring up at the ceiling until 4 am kind of night. 

Have you tried ZMA? It's my favorite supplement discovery of my life. More than creatine. More than protein powder. I take it it, get a little drowsier than normal about 30 min later, and sleep through the night with no wake ups unless there's stimulus. All the benefits of melatonin, without the crazy dreams, and I can be awoken without smacking me with a bat.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625