Scalyfreak levels up for real

Scaly Freak

3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

That was initially the inspiration for Self-Indulgence but then I realized she's not evil, just seriously misguided by my lack of insight into what I needed as opposed to what I wanted. 

That makes sense. The part of you that wants more wine or gummies or whatever... it's the childlike part, I guess. Or the animal part that wants good stuff and doesn't connect it rationally to delayed outcomes.

5 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

There is, and it is other, different kinds of lifting.

Something is stirring in my mind... is it possible? Is it sane? Could I lift... EVERY DAY? Could I lift in between gym sessions? Could I lift in between home lifting sessions? Could I lift in between the sessions that go in between the sessions that go in between the gym visits? Is life one big lifting workout broken only by rest-sleeps???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That makes sense. The part of you that wants more wine or gummies or whatever... it's the childlike part, I guess. Or the animal part that wants good stuff and doesn't connect it rationally to delayed outcomes.

I thinks it's the latter more than the former. Self-Indulgence is the feline desire for comfort, taken far too far and translated into whatever short-term gratification we can get our hands on as quickly as possible. Tired? No problem, have candy! Feeling sad? No problem, eat something sugar-infested and tasty and you will feel better. Feeling sad and don't have access to candy? No problem, we have lots of alcohol! Feeling so overwhelmed you're about to have a breakdown? No worries, just go hide in this fantasy world for hours!

Self-Indulgence is also the part that wants to hide from the anxiety and absolutely not deal with it because it hurts and takes too much effort right now. In hindsight, it's not surprising that she was the easiest one to deal with, once I figured out what she really is trying to accomplish with all her demands. :) 

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

You nerds are so wise... and funny!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Those gifs made me... feel... something.

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I thinks it's the latter more than the former. Self-Indulgence is the feline desire for comfort, taken far too far and translated into whatever short-term gratification we can get our hands on as quickly as possible. Tired? No problem, have candy! Feeling sad? No problem, eat something sugar-infested and tasty and you will feel better. Feeling sad and don't have access to candy? No problem, we have lots of alcohol! Feeling so overwhelmed you're about to have a breakdown? No worries, just go hide in this fantasy world for hours!

It might be self indulgence, but in a way they're also valid, logical solutions to problems, albeit extremely short lived with unwanted side effects.

• Like 3

Is it weird that I really 'enjoy' reading self-analysis and battle plans on NF? 

And random info; you're almost exactly 10 years older than me. Just a couple days off. 

Also, do you want a recipe for dairy free scones? 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Is it weird that I really 'enjoy' reading self-analysis and battle plans on NF? 

Not in the least. I think it's a side-effect of enjoying people watching.

48 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Also, do you want a recipe for dairy free scones? 

Yes, please :)

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Challenge goal update because the Anniversary Mini says I'm supposed to:

1. Do not buy any kinds of sweets to use as work snacks.

The gummy bears are taunting me. But I am resisting them, and satisfying the craving for something sweet with a cup of ginger peach tea. I will be strong against the lure of the candy!

2. Reading in the evenings must involve a paper book.

Not off to a good start with this goal. Apparently, if I am reading a very captivating book on my Kindle, it is hard for me to put it down and pick up a paper book when it's time to settle and go to bed. I need to put some more thought into this.

3. Continue what worked last challenge: Lifting and Meditation

Mediation continues to be a daily habit. Lifting will happen again tonight.

• Like 6

Book Riot Challenge 2021

52 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Not off to a good start with this goal. Apparently, if I am reading a very captivating book on my Kindle, it is hard for me to put it down and pick up a paper book when it's time to settle and go to bed. I need to put some more thought into this.

I have the same problem. Hope you find a solution!

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

4 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Fantastic progress but for this one, maybe set a timer on your phone so you can at least interrupt your reading with... other... reading... 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Question on the book goals, do you have a bunch of unread paper books or do you need to go buy them? I'm genuinely curious because it is so much more justifiable for me to buy 2 or 3 ebooks than to buy one physical just because of the cost difference.

• Like 2

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

13 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Ah, I know those book feels! Does your paperwhite kindle do parental controls? Maybe there's a way to set limits to what hours you can use it?

I do not actually have a paperwhite. I have a Kobo Aura H2O, and I have a Kindle Fire. Your post and @Red1263 's comment about a timer immediately made me think of parental controls and I know the Kindle has robust ones. Problem is, over 80% of my reading is on the Kobo, and I have not explored those parental controls at all.

As a non-parent, my only interest in parental controls has traditionally been to make sure they are disabled on all my electronic devices, so this is a new area for me. ;) 

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Question on the book goals, do you have a bunch of unread paper books or do you need to go buy them? I'm genuinely curious because it is so much more justifiable for me to buy 2 or 3 ebooks than to buy one physical just because of the cost difference.

I have a large number of paper books that we own, as well as a stack I checked out from the library.

I have been thinking about this goal today and last night and I think I'm starting to figure it out though... details to come this evenings.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

6 hours ago, Grumble said:

LIBRARIES! I rediscovered them (in America, as an adult, having forgotten about them somehow) and now I am convinced. I get to deprive amazon of my gold, and the library brings all these books to me! And then I give them back when I'm done, so they don't clutter up my shelves! Such a great system. 

• Like 7

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Challenge goals update:

1. Do not buy any kinds of sweets to use as work snacks.

Still have not made any candy purchase, though this afternoon was a powerful challenge. So I took a deep breath, and channeled The Flame into focusing on work instead, and when I looked up again half an hour later, I was no longer craving candy. I'm sure there is a lesson to learn here somewhere.

After putting some thought into my dilemma (after failing this goal once again last night) I think I have figured out one of the biggest obstacles for reading paper books right before bed: It takes too much effort to find one. It is very easy to bring up the entire library on my eReaders and browse through it in search of something to read. If I don't like a book, I can close it and find another in just a few seconds. With the paper books, that process takes a lot more time and effort, party because they are not in easy reach, and I am very comfortable under my blanket, thank you very much.

I set this goal without making a clear plan for how to achieve it. Now that I have started to figure out why I'm failing at it, I feel like I am on my way to a plan.

3. Continue what worked last challenge: Lifting and Meditation

Lifting last night was cut short when my right knee twinged in a slightly alarming way on the last squat of my first heavy set. Re-racked the bar and did a couple of experimental body weight squats, and came to the conclusion the twinge was a warning I needed to heed, if I wanted to avoid re-injuring the knee. So I cancelled the rest of the squats and went home, and patted myself on the back for being smart while still getting a good workout in. 

Meditation daily streak continues uninterrupted.

• Like 8

Book Riot Challenge 2021

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

LIBRARIES! I rediscovered them (in America, as an adult, having forgotten about them somehow) and now I am convinced. I get to deprive amazon of my gold, and the library brings all these books to me! And then I give them back when I'm done, so they don't clutter up my shelves! Such a great system. 

I keep forgetting about these. And I really need to take grimble to them more often.

• Like 2

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

12 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Still have not made any candy purchase, though this afternoon was a powerful challenge. So I took a deep breath, and channeled The Flame into focusing on work instead, and when I looked up again half an hour later, I was no longer craving candy. I'm sure there is a lesson to learn here somewhere.

Awesome.

12 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

After putting some thought into my dilemma (after failing this goal once again last night) I think I have figured out one of the biggest obstacles for reading paper books right before bed: It takes too much effort to find one. It is very easy to bring up the entire library on my eReaders and browse through it in search of something to read. If I don't like a book, I can close it and find another in just a few seconds. With the paper books, that process takes a lot more time and effort, party because they are not in easy reach, and I am very comfortable under my blanket, thank you very much.

You must arrange them temptingly on a nearby table. Let their covers fall open coyly, creating that come-hither glimpse of the first few pages... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I keep forgetting about these. And I really need to take grimble to them more often.

The libraries around here have activities and events for kids of all ages, that always seem like they are very appreciated y the attending kids and their parents. Something to explore?

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

You must arrange them temptingly on a nearby table. Let their covers fall open coyly, creating that come-hither glimpse of the first few pages... 

This thought occurred to me. It was immediately followed by the thought, "I can't fit a table in here!", which in turn was followed by, "So what can I do instead...?"

I'm working on that last one now. :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

The libraries around here have activities and events for kids of all ages, that always seem like they are very appreciated y the attending kids and their parents. Something to explore?

Same here, we've just been so damn busy.

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

This thought occurred to me. It was immediately followed by the thought, "I can't fit a table in here!", which in turn was followed by, "So what can I do instead...?"

I'm working on that last one now. :) 

Leave them open on every flat surface?

• Haha 1

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

YESSSS PLEASE TURN YOUR WEE ONE INTO A LIBRARY LOVER!!!! She'll even more become my favorite child under the age of 8 (I think she's under 8 still, right? 8 is my youngest dance student, so this phrasing, if accurate, keeps me from having to pick favorite kids across different contexts).

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

YESSSS PLEASE TURN YOUR WEE ONE INTO A LIBRARY LOVER!!!! She'll even more become my favorite child under the age of 8 (I think she's under 8 still, right? 8 is my youngest dance student, so this phrasing, if accurate, keeps me from having to pick favorite kids across different contexts).

5. I will report back on the first chapter of Sorcerer's Stone to further cement her status.

• Like 2

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Leave them open on every flat surface?

I tried that, but it's really hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in when there's books all over the bed.

• Haha 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

21 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I tried that, but it's really hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in when there's books all over the bed.

I should have specified. Every hard flat surface that you would pass by on your way to couch/chair/bathroom/bed that you could reasonably grab a book to read.

• Like 2

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

11 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I should have specified. Every hard flat surface that you would pass by on your way to couch/chair/bathroom/bed that you could reasonably grab a book to read.

In other words, make floor tiles out of books, with a narrow clear path so that you can move between rooms without trampling the books.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2