Scalyfreak levels up for real

Scaly Freak

I refuse to make floor tiles out of my books. My books are my treasures and they belong in my Dragon Cave where I can¬†hoard them and treasure them and pet them and call them my Preciousssss. ūüėõ¬†

I do have a piece of furniture that could serve as a book holder near the bed, but it would require me to do some decluttering of that area. Procrastination is trying to tell me that I don't need to do that, since I can read just as well from my eReaders, but I plan to ignore her and focus on Self-Sabotage for now. 

• Like 6

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14; Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission III; Ch 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

Challenge goals update:

1. Do not buy any kinds of sweets to use as work snacks.

Still resisting the lure of the gummy bears. And the cookies. Today was such a bad day that I was saved only by the candy a coworker brought in and offered to anyone who was interested.

2. Reading in the evenings must involve a paper book.

So we have established that having the paper books off in another room in the evenings creates obstacles to reading them. We have also established that using them as floor tiles is absolutely not happening, and that there is currently no conveniently located table in my bedroom that the paper books can relocate to. However, there is a small bureau nearby that has a flat surface at a convenient level, which of course has led to the flat surface being completely filled with Stuff. So now I have made plans to declutter and create an empty space where the paper books can be in the evenings

3. Continue what worked last challenge: Lifting and Meditation

The barbells remain true friends who soothe The Flame and make anger go away. Today was deadlift day, but before the deadlift was bench press and barbell row. I tested out the bulldog grip that @bigm141414 suggest in @Harriet's thread, and discovered my wrist tendinitis hates bench press a lot less with this grip, so even though it felt a bit weird and made the barbell heavier, I have decided to drop the bench weight a bit and relearn how to lift it with this new tendinitis-friendly grip.

Before I did the barbell row I used the empty barbell to do the lift combo @Gainsdalf the Whey posted in the anniversary thread, so I could check that off as well. Extra bonus: From actually forcing myself to d them as a part of a challenge, I have managed to completely dispel my own delusion that front squats are difficult and scary. I have no idea where it came from, but it's gone now, and that's kind of exciting.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14; Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission III; Ch 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

10 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

So now I have made plans to declutter and create an empty space where the paper books can be in the evenings

So awesome! Glad you could find a home for the paper books.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

7 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Extra bonus: From actually forcing myself to d them as a part of a challenge, I have managed to completely dispel my own delusion that front squats are difficult and scary. I have no idea where it came from, but it's gone now, and that's kind of exciting.

Noice!

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

I approve of your attitude towards books. 

How is the knee? 

It's been pain free, but I haven't tried to squat on it since Tuesday. Tomorrow is workout day again, so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

20 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I tested out the bulldog grip

Glad to hear it's helped! 

20 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I have managed to completely dispel my own delusion that front squats are difficult and scary

Awww yeah! Front squats are great. Best back and quad lift ever. Plus, I find them easier on my knees than back squats, so if your knee keeps giving you trouble you might want to try out front squats for a while. 

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

Awww yeah! Front squats are great. Best back and quad lift ever. Plus, I find them easier on my knees than back squats, so if your knee keeps giving you trouble you might want to try out front squats for a while. 

Huh. I was unaware of that, but will definitely keep it in mind for future squatting. When the knee gets upset I typically do box squats, since that seems to placate it, but it's good to have options.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Glad that you've found a place to place your books, if I may suggest clearing the space like this?

Image result for grinch clears table gif

• Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Challenge goals updates:

So this became a lot easier on the weekend. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a pattern.

I didn't do any reading at all last night. I played Disco Elysium, which is an awesome game that I highly recommend to anyone who liked Planscape:Torment or the original Fallout games. The conversations, NPCs, and the skill system, all make my inner RPG geek purr. The story is pretty awesome too.

I forgot to mediate yesterday and now my streak is broken. :( So now I will recreate it! I will start over and build a longer streak.

Lifting went well. Apparently lifting after a good night's sleep makes it easier. Weird how that works. Squats also went well, with no knee issues. I started with a set of ten body weight squats before even touching the barbell, with close attention to form, and relearned the importance of putting my feet far enough apart. When my feet are too close together, that's when I put too much strain on my knees and cause pain in them, especially the right one. I forget this every few months or so and have to be re-reminded. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Lifting went well. Apparently lifting after a good night's sleep makes it easier. Weird how that works. 

This¬†ūüĎÜand congratulations on no knee pain.

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

15 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Lifting went well. Apparently lifting after a good night's sleep makes it easier. Weird how that works. Squats also went well, with no knee issues. I started with a set of ten body weight squats before even touching the barbell, with close attention to form, and relearned the importance of putting my feet far enough apart. When my feet are too close together, that's when I put too much strain on my knees and cause pain in them, especially the right one. I forget this every few months or so and have to be re-reminded. 

Nice squat realisation. 

So this became a lot easier on the weekend. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a pattern.

Also a nice win.

I forgot to mediate yesterday and now my streak is broken.

Streaks are a bit annoying like that. They make the previous work invisible. I think it's more like laying stones. They're still there. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

One of my apps recently adjusted the way they count streaks by adding the total unbroken weeks, instead of how many you had consecutively. Which was nice because I had a lot of unbroken weeks, they just weren't all back to back. I now feel all of my apps should include this feature, or something similar.

• Like 2

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

21 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

One of my apps recently adjusted the way they count streaks by adding the total unbroken weeks, instead of how many you had consecutively. Which was nice because I had a lot of unbroken weeks, they just weren't all back to back. I now feel all of my apps should include this feature, or something similar.

Insight Timer sort of has this... it counts the total number of days with at least one session since your account was created.  It also tracks your actual and average meditation time per day, and some pretty detailed stats for the past 14 days. It's pretty cool, and it makes the let-down of losing a 44-day streak easy to ignore nad move past. :) 

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Restarting the streak on your birthday is best case scenario for having to restart a streak? x) 

Nah, I started that yesterday. I'm not waiting until tomorrow to start meditating again. ūüėõ¬†

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I have found my new theme song :)

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

That ain't no metal song

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

5 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

That ain't no metal song

And your point is...? ūüėõ¬†

Book Riot Challenge 2021

One broken streak doesn't mean that you're anything less than an awesome person!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Good morning everyone! Here are challenge goal updates:

I'm still managing to stick with this goal, however, I'm starting to run low of he snacks I already had, and I need to replace them with something, since the afternoon snack is an important ritual. A store nearby sells bulk trail mix with dried fruit and berries, and I'll probably try for that.

Decluttering is progressing slowly, primarily because I refuse to simply move the items to a new location. Since I didn't want that to stop me from reading, I strategically placed a book on the bed before I went to the gym. It was there waiting for me later in the evening when it was time to start unwinding by reading. Since this works, I will continue this temporary strategy.

Lifted last night. Lowered weights on everything, to prevent any of my old joints from starting to hurt again. None of them did, so lifting was successful. And now I'm going to go get my coffee, and then meditate.

Also,

14990876569_03a0458e48_z.jpg

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I strategically placed a book on the bed before I went to the gym. It was there waiting for me later in the evening when it was time to start unwinding by reading. Since this works, I will continue this temporary strategy.

Happy Birthday! The book placement worked! Excellent. 

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=15506821

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Happy birthday!

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I refuse to simply move the items to a new location.

This inspires me. Keep on fighting the right fight!

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.