Scalyfreak levels up for real

Scaly Freak

Gummy bears don't count on my birthday. So there. 

• Haha 1
  • That's Metal 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

51 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

No they don't. Neither does cake. 

Happy Birthday! 

• That's Metal 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

No they don't. Neither does cake. 

A coworker brought me home made snicker-doodle cookies along with a birthday card. I don't feel like I need cake now. In fact, I may not need dinner...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCALY!!!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Happy birthday! 

I know I'm late, but I did bring a gift, sort of... :) 

I tested the vegan scones recipe I found and everyone liked it, so; 

- 250 grams of flower

- 2 teaspoons baking powder

- pinch of salt (half a teaspoon?)

- 30 grams of white sugar

- 75 grams of butter or solid margarine

- 125 ml of oat milk (I think almond or soy would work too)

extra baking tips; first mix the dry ingredients and then knead in the (cold) butter bit by bit. then add the milk splash by splash until you've got a crumbly slightly wet dough (I didn't use all the milk before I thought it was enough). Then you're not supposed to knead it too much, so I just rolled it into a snake and then with a sharp knife cut off portions. The shape of my scones wasn't perfect, but they were rather tasty. 

I may try adjusting another recipe at some point so I can include eggs, but I may not, because these were pretty good. 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 2/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, Scalyfreak said:

You are supposed to eat all your favorite things on your birthday. IT IS REQUIRED

If you missed something on the actual day, you have grace the entire week of your birthday to indulge. Those are the Rules. :devilish:

I'm glad to hear that your lifting is going well. I am with you in the camp of wide squats being much more comfortable. My knees don't hurt when I try to do narrow squats, but they won't let me go deep.

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

If you missed something on the actual day, you have grace the entire week of your birthday to indulge. Those are the Rules. :devilish:

That is very good to know. That means today's Cado ice cream won't count either. :) 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

My knees don't hurt when I try to do narrow squats, but they won't let me go deep.

I go deep anyway... that's what makes it hurt. I strongly advise against following my example in this particular area.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

It's been a while.. but here is a challenge goals update:

1. Do not buy any kinds of sweets to use as work snacks.

I am still successful at resisting the candy in the vending machine. I did obtain trail mix, which has raisins and little candy pieces, but it doesn't count as candy since it's not pure sugar, and I actually still feel full an hour after snacking on it. I have also located  and purchased Girl Scout Cookies, to have as snacks at home, and it took me almost two days to get over what they have done to their lemon cookies. They are still good, but nowhere near the nirvana the little sugary wedges were. How dare they!?

2. Reading in the evenings must involve a paper book.

I have read this book. Yes, its about the women in the Sabaton song, and though the band does their best and the song is great, it does not do the real Nightwitches justice. These women were absolutely incredible. And now I need pick another book to read.

3. Continue what worked last challenge: Lifting and Meditation

Lifted again yesterday, and decided to try and be smart and do core exercises, since that helps with all the compound lifts and the dead bugs were actually kind of fun. And now I have DOMS in my abs, and in my lower back, and it's very unpleasant. Opted out of the Go And Socialize mini challenge, since, well, it wanted me to go and socialize with strangers. Eew.  :P 

Also having an energy slump, that led to a few moments of discrete tears and crushing sadness n the middle of lifting. It was strange and distracting, though not unpleasant. Then I came home, and went into high-anxiety anger mode for some reason that made no sense... until I checked my Fitbit app. Apparently we just  started Chaos Hormones week. So now I know what's going on, and have ben meditating more than usual, and spend quality time with Happy Sidekick. Throwing axes yesterday evening really helped too. On towards next challenge week! :) 

• Like 9

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Throwing axes is so metal! 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Also having an energy slump, that led to a few moments of discrete tears and crushing sadness n the middle of lifting. It was strange and distracting, though not unpleasant. Then I came home, and went into high-anxiety anger mode for some reason that made no sense... until I checked my Fitbit app. Apparently we just  started Chaos Hormones week. So now I know what's going on, and have ben meditating more than usual, and spend quality time with Happy Sidekick. Throwing axes yesterday evening really helped too. On towards next challenge week! :) 

Huh. The fitbit sounds useful. Sounds like the crushing sadness was very short lived and therefore not too peturbing? 

Mmm. Core exercises and ab DOMS. Don't think I ever had ab DOMS before... sounds not good.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Huh. The fitbit sounds useful. Sounds like the crushing sadness was very short lived and therefore not too peturbing? 

It lasted through sets 2 and 3 of bench press. After that, I forced my focus to the barbell and the sadness gradually faded.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Mmm. Core exercises and ab DOMS. Don't think I ever had ab DOMS before... sounds not good.

They provide great incentive not to sneeze.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

15 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I have read this book. Yes, its about the women in the Sabaton song, and though the band does their best and the song is great, it does not do the real Nightwitches justice. These women were absolutely incredible. And now I need pick another book to read.

Oooh this sounds super interesting.

15 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Throwing axes yesterday evening really helped too.

Badass.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oooh this sounds super interesting.

It is! Each woman was asked to tell her story, where she came from, how she joined the squad, and what she was willing to share of what she remembered of her life as an active member of a Soviet Air Force Bomb Squad during World War 2. The book is basically a long compilation of the transcripts of their stories, and they are awe-inspiring to read in so many ways. Cannot recommend this enough to anyone who is interested in the "human interest" side of history. :) 

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

10 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Throwing axes is so metal! 

^This.

Also, the book sounds amazing.

Also, also,

19 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Opted out of the Go And Socialize mini challenge, since, well, it wanted me to go and socialize with strangers. Eew.  :P 

I'm so with you on that! It may be worth trying again another time but it's also good to take on Hydras one head at a time.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

3 hours ago, Jean said:

I'm so with you on that! It may be worth trying again another time but it's also good to take on Hydras one head at a time.

Exactly!

Unrelated: I read this fascinating article about pain during lifting on Barbell Medicine, and now I have all sorts of ideas about how to change my workouts to make my shoulder stop hurting. This is exciting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 3/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Unrelated: I read this fascinating article about pain during lifting on Barbell Medicine, and now I have all sorts of ideas about how to change my workouts to make my shoulder stop hurting. This is exciting!

That's great to hear! I am always a fan of moving and improving!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 3/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Looks interesting. Gonna read it properly tomorrow.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

The not freaking out when things hurt is key to recovery I think. I used to preemptively run to physios and for massages when things got even a little hurty, but I've noticed that actually my body will heal itself as long as I give it time, stay chill about it, and gradually expose myself to the thing causes pain by working around it. It's very true that quite often a small changes in stimulus makes the pain at least partially go away. Not to say that there's no value in getting treatments, there is (even if it's mostly due to having someone touch you and listen to you) but the body is really quite capable of healing itself. Obviously within reason. Also, it drives me absolutely bonkers when doctors tell patients to stop doing what they love, or stop moving full stop, or that they will get injured if they do anything slightly out of alignment! 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

The not freaking out when things hurt is key to recovery I think. I used to preemptively run to physios and for massages when things got even a little hurty, but I've noticed that actually my body will heal itself as long as I give it time, stay chill about it, and gradually expose myself to the thing causes pain by working around it

I completely agree. I can do the part about not freaking out no problem, but all the adjustments to training, and the why and how of that part have been eluding me, largely due to my own ignorance on the subject. Now that I know the depth of my ignorance (to some extent at least), and have started taking steps to address it, I will need to make substantial changes to my lifting routine, but I am hopeful this will lead to a more permanent absence of joint pain in the end. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm positive you'll find a way to get rid of the pain. Take this as an opportunity to experiment.

That's my plan. My shoulders have always done well with floor press, so that is on the list of replacements for the barbell bench press.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Read the article. Interesting! I wonder if too much knowledge (and googling) can be a burden when it comes to injuries. My father knows an awful lot about all the muscles his back injury has caused, and he's always very fearful of making things worse so he goes very slowly (gotta get the movement right before adding weight!) and he's not making much progress. But maybe he's right and things really would get worse... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

That's my plan. My shoulders have always done well with floor press, so that is on the list of replacements for the barbell bench press.

I love floor press! I get to exercise while laying on the ground! I'm being 100% sincere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Read the article. Interesting! I wonder if too much knowledge (and googling) can be a burden when it comes to injuries.

I am 100% sure it can be. I think knowing too much about all the things that can go wrong leads to fixating on them, which in turn leads to being so afraid of reinjury that we stop doing things we should keep doing. Like lifting.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021