• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zenLara

Going on an adventure!

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Have you checked out the diastasis recti book? I think there's quite a bit of stuff there.

Might as well accept it now because you're in for quite a ride. :D You're doing great.

I'll check it, thank you.

Yeah, well, and adventure is an adventure :)

16 hours ago, annyshay said:

Sorry people are being unhelpful idiots. 

At least I have quite a few anecdotes on C-sections under the full moon light :D

15 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

There’s something about pregnancy and babies that make people suddenly think you are public property and removes all filters, it’s bizarre and I can only imagine it has something to do with cave man survival brain that we don’t actually need anymore

I don't really know where that comes from, but it is the weirdest thing. Suddenly you see what until then looked like totally rational people become the worst doomsayers and naysayers.

apparently that aura-of-impulsive-unwanted-advice/horror stories/touching does wear off eventually,

So there is hope :D

If you ever think any of us cross a line when we’re trying to be helpful, you can absolutely tell us.

To be honest, I doubt any of you could reach even the bottom of the pile I'm facing irl.

6 minutes ago, zenLara said:

don't really know where that comes from, but it is the weirdest thing. Suddenly you see what until then looked like totally rational people become the worst doomsayers and naysayers

People aren’t going to stop doing this for a while, so I’ll offer a bit of perspective that helps me—

When you’re having a child, people seem to be really focused on what is the newborn stage. The waking up a million times a night for feeds, endless crying, a dozen nappy changes a day, etc etc. etc..

And yeah, it is hard. Even the “easy” babies are a shock to your lifestyle. The “easy” toddlers are still challenging. (I say this, because based on people’s tales of ETERNAL DOOOOOOOOM my toddler is Easy Mode. And he’s still a challenge.)

But.

But.

But.

Newborns are only newborns for a few months. Babies are babies for a year. Toddlers are toddlers for a bit longer (2-3 years, I guess), but at least they can generally feed themselves and you’re getting more sleep and eventually they get potty trained. And, you get used to accounting for this little person in your life. It becomes your normal.

But what I’m getting at is that when people talk about this stuff, they make it sound like you’ve signed up the rest of your life to deal with a colicky newborn baby. You aren’t. It’s a tough time and when you’re in it it feels like eternity, but in the scheme of a life, it’s not very long at all. You will eventually sleep again, you will (with some effort, sure) get your life back on whatever track everyone is saying that you’re about to derail on.

And if you can keep that perspective, these times can also be really delightful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

Newborns are only newborns for a few months. Babies are babies for a year. Toddlers are toddlers for a bit longer (2-3 years, I guess), but at least they can generally feed themselves and you’re getting more sleep and eventually they get potty trained. And, you get used to accounting for this little person in your life. It becomes your normal.

This. I don't have any of my own kids, but there's a point around 6-8 months when they get really snuggly and it's AMAZING. They have these amazing soft round little bodies  and pudgy feet and their faces are so expressive and they are just soaking everything in.  And it's not easy, but you can see a lot of your love shining back at you.  And you got a LOT of love, so I bet it's going to be awesome for you :)  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

When you’re having a child, people seem to be really focused on what is the newborn stage. The waking up a million times a night for feeds, endless crying, a dozen nappy changes a day, etc etc. etc..

That's what I've seen, yeah. Also, they're making me go nuts with all those things I should be doing/not doing during pregnancy and what should I expect. Apparently I'm already doing everything wrong and she's not even born yet. At some point it just felt too much and I isolated myself (even more than usual). I'm better now, though. I've decided that I might screw it up, but I'll screw it up my way.

• Like 2

Goal #1

All my supplements. No bread. No sugar.

fingerdanceplz.gif?1fingerdanceplz.gif?1fingerdanceplz.gif?1

Goal #2

Yoga before breakfast, but only a short walk to work, about 20 minutes. Worked on my alignment while playing the flute.

Goal #3

Read a bit, sketched a couple of hands again.

Great start for the week!

• Like 4

I'm feeling less self-assured today. I had planned to take a long walk this morning, but when the time came to leave the house I just didn't want to. I was anxious and worried, I had too many things in my head. I decided to stay home, to try to solve some of those things in my head, but then I felt more anxious because of guilt, because I'm not doing what I "should" be doing. When shoulds appear in my mind, it is not good. I can be too self-demanding, and obsessive about doing things "right". I need to understand this is a long run, and that what counts is the overall, not what I do in a specific day. I can stay at home this morning and I'm still doing fine, it's not that important.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

I'm feeling less self-assured today. I had planned to take a long walk this morning, but when the time came to leave the house I just didn't want to. I was anxious and worried, I had too many things in my head. I decided to stay home, to try to solve some of those things in my head, but then I felt more anxious because of guilt, because I'm not doing what I "should" be doing. When shoulds appear in my mind, it is not good. I can be too self-demanding, and obsessive about doing things "right". I need to understand this is a long run, and that what counts is the overall, not what I do in a specific day. I can stay at home this morning and I'm still doing fine, it's not that important.

My should monster has been here with vengeance as well. No advice. Just solidarity. *hugs*

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

I need to understand this is a long run, and that what counts is the overall, not what I do in a specific day. I can stay at home this morning and I'm still doing fine, it's not that important.

Yes, yes absolutely! 

About the Bowman book, I'm not sure which one you've got.. but I think that pregnant ladies aren't that special of a population.. I think a lot of the trouble we (modern pregnant women) are having are mostly lifestyle/habit things that will hit you in the face during this special period, but preventing/fixing are actually the same general advice that's applicable to the general non-pregnant population. It's amazing how many of the things I've picked up while studying for training pregnant women is applicable to other people in our gym. If you run into a specific problem or want to do/evaluate a specific activity it'll help to have someone knowledgable to turn to, but overall- following these general guidelines will set you up very nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goal #1

Vits and supplements. No bread. Sweetend yogurt. Chocolate bun.

Goal #2

Only a short walk to work, about 20 minutes. Worked on my alignment while playing the flute.

Goal #3

Read a bit, nothing else.

Not the greatest of days. But I was very busy at work. I had to play with my students today, and it was a bit of a mess since the concert date was confirmed only a week ago and we had to improvise a bit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I think a lot of the trouble we (modern pregnant women) are having are mostly lifestyle/habit things that will hit you in the face during this special period

That's what I'm starting to notice, how the problems I'm having are just an enlarged version of what already was there. It's like pregnancy is pointing at my weakest areas.

Thank you for your words. They may not seem much to you, but given that the people surrounding me are not people I can turn to for good advice or understanding, these posts are a beam of light.

11 hours ago, karinajean said:

hi Lara! and much belated congratulations!

HIII! And thank you!

Are you back for the challenge?

Goal #1

Vits and supplements taken. Sweetened yogurt for breakfast. Homemade pizza for lunch, and some bread at dinner. Not a great day for food, but goal 2 was better.

Goal #2

Did my yoga before breakfast, and later in the morning I took a one hour walk in the country. It was a bit too windy for my taste, but ok. Most of my sitting was on the floor, and except for the last hour at work I combined sitting with standing better than other days.

Goal #3

Read a bit, sketched something.

I finally got a really good night of sleep. Not that I'm not sleeping well, but I always wake up a couple of times. Today I slept 7 hours and a half without waking up. And afterwards I still slept some more after doing a breathing exercise.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zenLara said:

Thank you for your words. They may not seem much to you, but given that the people surrounding me are not people I can turn to for good advice or understanding, these posts are a beam of light.

Well thank you for the warm fuzzy feels! :) And also slightly hissy feels towards the people around you :X 

13 hours ago, zenLara said:

That's what I'm starting to notice, how the problems I'm having are just an enlarged version of what already was there. It's like pregnancy is pointing at my weakest areas.

Oh man definitely! My weakest area is walking :P

• Like 1

I made a good deed today. It's a silly thing, but it made me feel good. I was up in the hills walking when I saw an old man with a dog at the top of one hill. He seemed to be there waiting for me. He was. When I reached the top, he asked me if I had seen another dog like the one that was with him. I hadn't. The dog had been disappeared for about one hour, wasn't answering his calls, and he was starting to be seriously worried. He asked me to give him a shout if I saw the dog somewhere. I continued my walk and after a while I stumbled upon the little devil, hiding in the brambles. There was no way the old man could have gotten to that place or the dog hear his voice, so I tried to get the dog come out of the hiding place and walk a bit with me, which he did at first but then he decided I was a stranger and didn't want to keep going. So I went down the hill to call the old man, who came up to a place where the dog could hear him, and so they finally could go back home together.

I know that the dog would have eventually come back to his owner without my help, but I spared the old man a lot of frustration and worry, so I was glad I could help somehow.

Also, I crossed a couple of runners, and I saw that they were both running wearing a hoodie, while I was walking comfortably wearing a t-shirt, what made me think that maybe my inner thermostat is coming back to normal. This took my mind back to my old WH times. I stopped the breathing exercise after I knew I was pregnant because I was not sure about the non-breathing periods, and WH himself says to stop the breathing exercises while pregnant because he doesn't know what actually happens when there is a second being in there. He encourages to keep the cold exposure, though, but to me it was a big no since I spent 3 months feeling cold as hell no matter how many clothes I was wearing. So, today, I said, why not, and after my walk (by the way, 1 hour and half, straight through the hills!) I decided to finish my shower with cold water, at least for my legs. 10 seconds and I wanted it to stop, the cold sensation was too intense, but oooooh, the awesome sensation when I came out of the shower! I've missed that in my life. I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to come back to cold showers by now, but I think I can repeat what I did today.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

Sounds like a really great experience. I must admit that even though WHM breathing is on my challenge list, I have not been very faithful with it. I have, however, been consistent with showers and cold exposure. I love the electric feeling of cold on my skin and how I can literally feel and see my circulatory system working to keep my core warm. It reminds me how awesome our bodies are and how they work to adapt to keep us alive. It's uncomfortable, sure, but it is also incredible.

I'm proud of you for your good deeds. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that lately, I've been trying to translate my standing posture alignment to walking. It felt weird, like an "unnatural" way to move, but today I tried again, and everything felt more in place. When I "relaxed" into my usual walking pattern, I could clearly feel that my feet were "falling" into the ground, compared to the feeling of moving forward I have when I'm better aligned. Also, I could feel how my legs and hips would be slightly tilted inwards, a thing that doesn't happen when I walk trying to keep my alignment. Once I arrived in the country, irregular terrain made it a bit more difficult to focus on it.

• Like 3

Goal #1

Vits and supplements taken. No sugar. No bread. Perfect.

Goal #2

Yoga before breakfast. Long walk of 1 hour 40, plus 2 short walks of 20 minutes each. Worked on my alignment while walking. More squatting than other days. Also more sitting at work than other days, my legs were crazy tired.

I'm thinking I had so much energy today because I had another great night of sleep. 9 hours without waking up this time. That had not happened in ages.

Goal #3

A good hour of reading.

• Like 3

Day is not going as well as yesterday. I kind of expected it, since I was crazy tired last night and I thought I would need to take a full rest day today. I had a bad night of sleep, with lots of nightmares, which didn't help, and when my boyfriend wanted to take a short walk, I went with him and it didn't do me good. Took a nap after lunch hoping I would feel better, but I woke up feeling sad and didn't want to leave the bed. Finally got up, but I feel alone and anxious, and I'm not enjoying my free time at all (it's carnival holidays and I don't have to go to work until wednesday). Usually gets better if I eat something, but didn't help today. I guess I'm just too tired.

Goal #1

Forgot vits. Bread at lunch. Sweetened yogurt in the afternoon.

Goal #2

No yoga. 1 hour walk, checking on alignment now and then. Only sat on a chair for lunch.

Goal #3

Read for half an hour.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

I woke up feeling sad and didn't want to leave the bed. Finally got up, but I feel alone and anxious, and I'm not enjoying my free time at all (it's carnival holidays and I don't have to go to work until wednesday). Usually gets better if I eat something, but didn't help today. I guess I'm just too tired.

I know these feelings all too well. Sorry that you're feeling this way. *hugs* from across the ocean. You're not alone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hope you have another good day tomorrow and you can get some enjoyment out of this mini holiday! 

Thank you! Sunday was much better. Although I was still tired, I found ways to keep myself busy without spending much energy: reading, drawing, playing cards, watching vids, and also a short walk in the country, about 1 hour, through a flat trail.

• Like 1

Week 2 recap.

Goal #1

Took supplements 4 days. Ate bread 4 days. Sugar 5 days. 2 days free from both sugar and bread.

Those 2 days without sugar and bread alone are enough to celebrate, but it gets even better, because on the other days, the amount of bread and sugar was less than on the first week. That's a breakthrough.

Also, I seem to be arriving to a new stage, in which suddenly MEAT TASTES GOOD!!! We ate a steak on wednesday, which my boyfriend said wasn't a very good one, and to me it tasted like the best meat I had EVER eaten.

And I guess it is related to my body asking for iron, because I've seen my grocery cart fill itself with things like pistachios, beetroot, almonds, red meat, and greens, without even thinking about it.

There is a bit of a worry in the back of my mind about my weight, but I've been trying to remind myself that every body is different, and since I've always found it difficult to put on weight, I should not expect to become huge now, no matter what people say. I have put on 3 kilos in 3 months (3rd to 5th pregnancy months), by now (which would be unbelievable in any other period of my life!), and they mostly belong to the kid and what goes with her, and my breasts, so I guess those kilos are in the best places they could be.

Goal #2

Yoga happened only 3 times this week. I would like to do better on this, because it helps me release a lot of tension, and at the same time it's a good way to rebuild some of my lost leg strength.

Walking: 6 hours. More or less the same as last week. But, I've been working on improving posture and alignment, which makes it a bit more tiring by now. I like how this is going. I can see that with my regular way of moving and posture I would be starting to face some back ache.

I have made my low table my main place to be at home, so there is less and less sitting on chairs and more kneeling, cross-leg sitting and squatting.

Goal #3

I've been reading quite a lot, and everyday, and I have made some sketches (I seem to be good at drawing hands, but then a pepper or a banana will drive me crazy).

I think the week was good. I've been a bit disappointed some days, watching how if I keep myself "too active" one day then my energy gets depleted for the two days that follow. But I guess the only thing I can do is to accept this is how things are now, by now. I'm hoping that with this switch in my meals to more nourishing foods, things could get easier soon. Or maybe not, who knows. In any case, given my bad mood these past 2 days, I'd like to remind myself to be patient and try to see things from the most positive perspective. After all, I might not be getting stronger, but she definitely is :)

image.thumb.png.6ba75cb4a803e6fd174440f6a1d7b89b.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

. In any case, given my bad mood these past 2 days, I'd like to remind myself to be patient and try to see things from the most positive perspective.

I'm in a rotten mood too! *hugs!* We can be cranky together! YAY!!!!!!!!!! :D 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm in a rotten mood too! *hugs!* We can be cranky together! YAY!!!!!!!!!! :D 

I'm more on the sad, tired, tired of being tired mood, but YAY! Let's be grouchy together :D