aramis on his home straight

aramis

I was unsure IF I'll put the challenge this round at all, because all this reminiscent 10th Anniv. hype... I'm here less than a year and don't feel entitled to take part in this celebrations (yes, that's my non-existent self esteem speaking).

On the other hand, I use NF forums - both Battle Log and Challenges - as a journal of my evolution, struggles and success. It would be unfair to stop doing this just because I don't think I'm worthy (yet I know it's rubbish thinking). 

So, let's get to the Challenge.

My OCR is scheduled at April 4th, that means I'm 8 weeks (incl. this one) away from my debut. I know it will be end of first week of NEXT Challenge, but in regards of training, this Challenge is my last big effort, last push before the run.

As my overall fitness is quite good (Battle Log shows it all) I decided to use this time to train specifically obstacle-oriented moves. That will include:

- crossing monkey bars and it's variations (rings, pegs etc)

- scaling solid walls without equipment and with use of rope

- rope climbing and rope crawl

For monkey bars training I've already rigged some contraption in my attic

DSC_1886.thumb.JPG.fa2d2c09d5efe0b721716892f08b6a7b.JPG

- it's a 10 step ladder at 2.5m height.

I can cross it prong by prong, every other one, I can use side rails. And it can double as a pull-up bar as well :). Later I can add some gizmos to further challenge my grip.

For rope work, I will borrow climbing rope from our school's gym and hang it in a barn (attic isn't high enough).

For walls, I need to find some to scale ;) 

I learned a gym nearby my workplace has OCR "training grounds" - gotta investigate.

I still need to create some schedule for those trainings. @DarK_RaideR@Mr_Willes,  @Charlie_Quinn,  @Wild Wolf - can you help with some hints? Thanks in advance :) 

As for goals - there won't be any this time. I have no clue how my obstacle training will work, and my "usual" stuff (training routine, nutrition etc) is well established. Using this as goals would be plain cheating. 

I won't use any "family" or "mental" goals this time neither, because I want to focus on OCR training. I will do my best to keep what I achieved up this point, but to further work on those areas I will wait till after my run. This challenge will be more of a journal and place to connect with friends than anything else. 

Probably I overthink, overdo and demonize the size of a challenge this OCR will present, but I just don't know what to expect and I prefer to be over-prepared than not.

• Like 7

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

My best tip would be to ask @EricMN really, I do like one OCR a year maybe, whereas he seems to do a triplet every weekend, plus he's qualified for the World Championships not long ago.

Conditioning is one component of these races, but don't stress the running side too much. It's more about performing under duress (read:not losing strength due to exhaustion) and less about actual running like in a regular race. Any kind of conditioning will really do, because you'll be pacing yourself and walking/jogging from obstacle to obstacle is a common thing. What you want is to not lose breath or mental fortitude in the long run, as well as to not cramp up. The latter does have to do with hydration a lot, so packing an energy gel or two might help with that as well. I've also noticed Eric does a lot of uphill run training, but while OCRs will certainly give you that, it seems to be more of a U.S. thing. The onces I've done in Europe (and iirc you're in Poland) don't have as much incline and that's been a comment both he and another American I've done a race with did comment.

Climbing walls and ropes is also a frequent thing, so any sort of pullup, rope climbing or lifting exercise will help with that. Same with learning to lift with your legs and not your waist, so you'll be able to complete any carries. Grip strength is a big thing there too, but that should come along with the aforementioned strength training.

Some obstacles do require a bit of technique, not so much to clear them but to do so efficiently and not waste too much strength. I've seen mentions of specialized YouTube channels teaching you that, but it's really down to experience and what obstacle each race company prefers. Don't stress too much about that, most race people are really helpful and you shouldn't be shy to ask fellow racers or even race marshalls for a tip on how to tackle an obstacle once you're there.

• Like 4

IMHO our local "OCR Hero" @Charlie_Quinn can give you the best advice. For me running stamina (i don't know how long your OCR is) and upper body strength (grip strength, and ability to pull up) is most important. Also lower bodyweight really helps, though i don't know how you are doing in that department. I have 3 OCR's planned this year but wanting to do more, cause prepping is going fantastic. And i'm working on two things at a time at this moment. I'm running to up my cardio, and losing bodyweight, every KG i don't have to drag across the terrain will help tremendously.

The ladder is a very good idea, the only thing you have to look out for is the diameter of the "prongs?" (non-native english speakin person here). They tend to use thick bars for monkey bars, and stuff to get over, somewhere around 2inch in diameter (scaffolding), that grips a lot harder than something much slimmer. Also be prepared to come across prongs that can roll. It's much harder to grip those. Not really an idea how to train for that, just keep it in the back of your head.

Okay i had a quick look at your Battle Log, i'm sure the OCR won't kill you and you will love it! Still curious to know what type of OCR it is and how far. 

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

38 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

What will be a success for you in your first race?

I don't really thought about it. Surviving it, for sure :) Maybe beat 80% of obstacles?

3 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Conditioning is one component

This I think I have covered. I run trail 5K weekly, do burpees and jump rope. 

5 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

iirc you're in Poland

yup, correct. 

6 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Don't stress too much about that, most race people are really helpful and you shouldn't be shy to ask fellow racers or even race marshalls for a tip on how to tackle an obstacle once you're there.

I count on that to be honest :) 

So, aside of what I described above, it would be useful to add some carries, with squat-like lifting up, instead of deadlift-like. Thanks!

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Also lower bodyweight really helps, though i don't know how you are doing in that department.

193cm, 80kg. Stick figure if you like :)

3 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Still curious to know what type of OCR it is and how far.

It's Runmageddon Recruit (6km, 30 obstacles), at Wroclaw Stadium. I was hoping for something rural, but it was revealed it's on the stadium after I signed up. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Okay so you don't need more conditioning, no specific running needed. 6K with 30 obstacles, is 1 obstacle every 200 meters. And seeing you can run 6K now, you will be fine in that department.

Stick figure seems to be the best physique for OCR. If i were you i would do some crossfit-like workouts. HIIT, pullups, sandbag carry, toes to bar that kind of stuff, but also bouldering if you can get that chance. But you could also just build average strength through strengthtraining (grip). Strongman workout could also help, carrying odd obstacles. Short and heavy or long and lighter. Rope climbs, to practice technique this also goes for getting over walls, though it helps you are giant-sized. Oow, and if you cramp up easily box jumps/step ups will also help with the calves (that is one of my worst enemies during an OCR).

Make sure you eat and drink right for the OCR. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK NEW STUFF. You don't want to upset your stomach while doing the OCR. For 6K i don't think you need gels or something while running.

But most important: seeing your battle log, you already are more than ready for this! You will be fine, enjoy your first OCR, it will always be a special one!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

... a little odd in the head ...

36 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

IMHO our local "OCR Hero" @Charlie_Quinn can give you the best advice

You're too kind @Mr_Willes

Your first OCR! How Exciting! Don't worry, you will survive and you'll have the best time doing so.

I don't think I can add much to what's already been said. I love the ladder idea, very inventive! The monkey bars at the OCR will probably have thicker rungs than your ladder, but it's still good practice for grip and holding up your body weight. Quirky Quinn asks a good question; what would success mean for you? You said that obstacle completion would be a success for you, so I'd say definitely check out the OCR training ground if you get a chance. It's a really good way to try out obstacle techniques in a stress free environment. If they have coaches on hand, get some tips from them too as they will know the most efficient way to complete an obstacle. But try not to stress about it too much, the most important part of your first OCR is FUN. Have a laugh, jump in mud pits, help people out of mud pits and don't forget to give the volunteers high fives and hugs! 

50 minutes ago, aramis said:

So, aside of what I described above, it would be useful to add some carries, with squat-like lifting up, instead of deadlift-like.

This is a good idea. Sandbags, buckets of sand, logs......there are lots of different carries that you can do that replicate the carries that appear in OCR. 

I'm looking forward to following your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, aramis said:

I was hoping for something rural, but it was revealed it's on the stadium after I signed up. 

Some running up and down bleachers might be involved. I do seem to recall a Spartan race around NYC or Boston that's held inside a stadium and they certainly do that there.

47 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Stick figure seems to be the best physique for OCR.

Just ask @Wild Wolf;)

47 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

For 6K i don't think you need gels or something while running.

Agreed, especially if you can already do the 5k easy. Plus races around that distance tend to be the "fun" ones for entry level competitors, so I'm assuming they might even have watering stations around.

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

races around that distance tend to be the "fun" ones for entry level competitors

In Runmageddon series there is even more intro-level formula, called... Intro :) 3K with 15 obstacles. I decided to go for semi-serious distance of 6K, 1) because I never liked to play at 'easy', and 2) I'm not sure if I could handle 12K of 'Classic' formula TBH. 

48 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

running up and down bleachers might be involved

Shouldn't be much of a problem. I have lots of stairs at work and at home, and I quite enjoy climbing stairs. 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

don't forget to give the volunteers high fives and hugs

Yeah! From my volunteering activities I know all to well  the feeling when people treat you like furniture. Gotta remember this one :) 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

. Quirky Quinn asks a good question; what would success mean for you?

That's a beautiful question and I highlight NOT because I want you to answer it, but because I think there's a lot of insight in pondering.

I don't do These things.  I tried (once) but it was far enough and the local people (that were going to give me a ride) bailed on me.  in fact, I lost 80$ on it!

anyways, irrelevant I know. but I'm not speaking with any experience At all. 

the point IS from what I can tell you are well MORE conditioned that you have to be to survive one of these.  heck I think I've heard of some newbs haven't even cracked their first pullup.

but equally true, its unlikely (no matter what conditioning you get) that you will be one of the fastest and best on the whole event; especially if it is a big event.  (this is admittedly a guess)

there's just TOO much to be said for Exactly getting experience with these obstacles and knowing them.  that experience could even be specific to the very OCR you are doing.  veterans always have that kind of advantage.

so if I were you;  I would not be anxious, worry, and despair about it.  you're strong and sure to do brilliantly (especially given its you first)

I would consider the following to be suggestions of what "success means"

Its a success if I work hard and really pour effort into the obstacles (whether you make them or not)

Its a success if inspires a consistent, earnest exercise program (as it is doing)

Its a success if you have the chance, as well, to have fun.  I DON"T think anything at that OCR is be overwhelming.  don't make it overwhelming....

---

I just offer this as untrained advice and applaud you serious earnest preparation for it.  some of the people that have answered are some of the fittest people on this website and very inspirational.   we haven't heard yet from EricMN, but if you get a chance look him up and see the stuff he's written... its awesome.  

that are also probably more people then I care to count of people that have done several OCR races and are or were active.

you could spend a lot of time; just searching out their Battle logs and thoughts. People have poured out their heart (and their keyboards) to describe and ponder how to best prepare for these things...

if the OCR's have any draw to me (and they do).. its because they combine cardio and strength so beautifully.  I'm not sure I'd like the party atmosphere that is sometimes described (though I haven't tried it, so I might!)  but the training for it is surely one of the best balances you can have in the exercise world.

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

18 minutes ago, TGP said:

its unlikely (no matter what conditioning you get) that you will be one of the fastest and best on the whole event

And exactly because of this I don't see this race as me vs other runners. I see it purely as me vs the run itself. It's not how well I can perform compared to others, it's about completion, not competition.

• Like 4

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

BTW, I forgot to mention friends long absent:

@Pecs

@porkkchop

@Valkyrie21

@MrUgly72

If you come here, know you're not forgotten. If you won't, I hope it's because your life is so good you don't need NF anymore.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 2/11/2020 at 4:41 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

My best tip would be to ask @EricMN really, I do like one OCR a year maybe, whereas he seems to do a triplet every weekend, plus he's qualified for the World Championships not long ago.

Conditioning is one component of these races, but don't stress the running side too much. It's more about performing under duress (read:not losing strength due to exhaustion) and less about actual running like in a regular race. Any kind of conditioning will really do, because you'll be pacing yourself and walking/jogging from obstacle to obstacle is a common thing. What you want is to not lose breath or mental fortitude in the long run, as well as to not cramp up. The latter does have to do with hydration a lot, so packing an energy gel or two might help with that as well. I've also noticed Eric does a lot of uphill run training, but while OCRs will certainly give you that, it seems to be more of a U.S. thing. The onces I've done in Europe (and iirc you're in Poland) don't have as much incline and that's been a comment both he and another American I've done a race with did comment.

Climbing walls and ropes is also a frequent thing, so any sort of pullup, rope climbing or lifting exercise will help with that. Same with learning to lift with your legs and not your waist, so you'll be able to complete any carries. Grip strength is a big thing there too, but that should come along with the aforementioned strength training.

Some obstacles do require a bit of technique, not so much to clear them but to do so efficiently and not waste too much strength. I've seen mentions of specialized YouTube channels teaching you that, but it's really down to experience and what obstacle each race company prefers. Don't stress too much about that, most race people are really helpful and you shouldn't be shy to ask fellow racers or even race marshalls for a tip on how to tackle an obstacle once you're there.

A whole lot of this ^^. Also...lunges. LOTS and LOTS of lunges. In addition to the pull-ups, work on grip strength, too. Maybe even work on grip strength when your hands are wet (and cold) to simulate what might happen in the race.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:04 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Just ask @Wild Wolf;)

Image result for i resent that remark gif

Image result for eye roll gif

I know you're joking, but I was in fantastic shape when I ran my Spartan. 185lbs and 7% BF is shredded my friend.

Image result for shredded like a julienne salad gif

Wolf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

Also...lunges. LOTS and LOTS of lunges.

May I ask... why? Is it just mobility/reach thing or some obstacles use this movement to tackle?

I just hate hate hate lunges, but given good explanation I might train them. Especially now, when...

ALL MY UPPER BODY TRAINING GOES OUT OF THE WINDOW :angry:

I pulled my bicep today... Gawd fuckin dammit! And why? Because I AM AN IDIOT!!! I wanted to show my wife how I can crawl on top of monkey bars from deadhang. And of course I did this without even thinking of warming the muscles up. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

I will try to assess the damage later. Maybe I can do some deadhang or shoulder pull-ups, without engaging biceps. This could help with loss management. For sure I will switch to more lower body exercises (sandbag squats etc), and maybe push-ups as they don't work bicep at all.

• Sad 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

yikes!

thats a big muscle to strain.  anyways 'Rice' is the acronym I use for just such an occassion.

Is it swelling?

if not things are better. so thats one quick test to see how bad off it is.

also, sometimes things aren't as bad as we think they are in the moment.  call them "scares".  the point is your body HURTS sometimes (I think) as a way of getting our attention and giving it love while it rebuilds itself.

its kind of like "scotty" in Star trek; he can do miracles but

he's got to be given a little time to work through the issues.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

1 hour ago, aramis said:

I pulled my bicep today...

Image result for nooooo gif

Duuuude :( I'm so sorry to hear that. I pray that heals quickly!

As for lunges, it simulates your running movement and strengthens your thighs and your butt, both things that are going to be recruited during an OCR race. It also strengthens the hip flexors which is just great for all around mobility. If you end up having to run at an incline during the race, you'll be thankful for the lunges you did.

Again, sorry to hear about the bicep dude :( 

Wolf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:57 AM, aramis said:

I was unsure IF I'll put the challenge this round at all, because all this reminiscent 10th Anniv. hype... I'm here less than a year and don't feel entitled to take part in this celebrations (yes, that's my non-existent self esteem speaking).

We were all star-eyed newbies once upon a time.  You're just as welcome to share in the nostalgia (and encouraged to make some of your own) as anyone!  Consider yourself a veteran.  ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=15476717

• Like 5

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Oh no! I'm sorry about the bicep, I hope it's just a tweak and nothing serious. 

15 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

As for lunges, it simulates your running movement and strengthens your thighs and your butt, both things that are going to be recruited during an OCR race. It also strengthens the hip flexors which is just great for all around mobility. If you end up having to run at an incline during the race, you'll be thankful for the lunges you did.

I'd also add, a lot of OCR's have ditches, usually filled with mud or water or muddy water, that you need to climb out of and you'll probably need to push off of one leg to get yourself out of the ditch. So lunges and other single leg work can help with that. Or you can just put your hand out and have a fellow runner help you out of the ditch and then you turn around and help the next person out 😊

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Okay, the damage is not as big as I feared.

Today the muscle works normally in daily activities, it doesn't hurt when I pick up large water bottle etc. (it hurt like hell yesterday). I think I can safely lift about 5kg in this hand without any discomfort. Will try heavier stuff later.

Bodyweight pull-ups and horizontal body rows on the other hand are a NO-GO for now - as soon as I engage the bicep, it starts to hurt - like a needle inside. Will try assisted ones later at home.

For now I know I can do "shoulder pull-ups" and other straight arm hangs safely. Also push exercises are okay.  

As I stated above - I hate luges. I think I'll work around it and just use the staircase from basement to second floor (2-3 steps at once) with a 20kg sandbag on my shoulders. Should simulate the movement pretty good. 10-15min of brisk stair climbing should kick my ass :)

• Like 3

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Salinger said:

ice it if needed

Googled it yesterday, and found ice is useful just after injury (to stop swelling and bruises to create) - and I did. Later on (after a day) warmth is more helpful, as it boosts regeneration. 

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler