Ranger Hal Cleans Up after the Flood

Ranger Hal

The river floodwaters were receding. Ranger Hal surveyed the mess. While the water hadn’t quite reached her cabin, the effects were still visible inside. It wasn’t safe to dump dirty water when it would run straight into the river, so dishes and laundry had been put off. The kitchen was a mess like it hadn’t been in months and she was out of clean socks. Wet gear had been scattered around to dry and never put away properly. The mud that was tracked in had dried and left piles of dirt in the corners. And spring would be here soon. Before long, the grass near the cabin would need to be scythed. And the garden was overrun with weeds, nowhere near ready for planting. It was time to get to work.

This Challenge:

Workout two times per week

Hike one night per week

Clean the floor, 2 minutes per day

Bible reading, 2 minutes per day

Yard/Garden tasks:

• Scythe the grass (electric scythe/weed whacker)
  • Pull the weeds from the garden
  • Put new landscape fabric on the bottom of the raised bed with bindweed problems
  • Add soil and compost to the raised beds
  • Start vegetable seeds indoors

Taxes

• Gather documents
  • Schedule tax appointment

Things to be continued without tracking:

Eat vegetables

Wash dishes daily

Morning walks

Edited to add

List of other random things that need to get done:

Banana muffins

Mend skirt

• Like 4

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Looks like some solid goals for this challenge. I like the focus on the garden, might inspire me to sort out the mess that is behind my house!

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

8 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

The river floodwaters were receding. Ranger Hal surveyed the mess. While the water hadn’t quite reached her cabin, the effects were still visible inside. It wasn’t safe to dump dirty water when it would run straight into the river, so dishes and laundry had been put off. The kitchen was a mess like it hadn’t been in months and she was out of clean socks. Wet gear had been scattered around to dry and never put away properly. The mud that was tracked in had dried and left piles of dirt in the corners. And spring would be here soon. Before long, the grass near the cabin would need to be scythed. And the garden was overrun with weeds, nowhere near ready for planting. It was time to get to work.

This Challenge:

Hike one night per week

i'm totally with you for the hike

and

I'm actually really trying to do the same.

so far me and my son have (despite some wintry weather) hiked the last 3 weeks.  its been awesome.

ofc being the avid hiker I am; I would that my hikes WERE a little longer.

but something is better than nothing.

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Nice challenge! Glad at least your house wasn't flooded. I looked at my garden, and it seems all the water really helped the weeds thrive. I need to do some gardening too. Where do you go hiking?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

Looks like some solid goals for this challenge. I like the focus on the garden, might inspire me to sort out the mess that is behind my house!

The garden didn't happen last year, so I really want to get it going this year. I learned from my first garden that it's better to plant a few things that I will actually eat, so I'm probably going with romaine lettuce, zucchini, and basil (because it's too expensive to buy enough to make a giant batch of fresh pesto). I'd like to hear about it if you get your garden going.

3 hours ago, TGP said:

i'm totally with you for the hike

and

I'm actually really trying to do the same.

so far me and my son have (despite some wintry weather) hiked the last 3 weeks.  its been awesome.

ofc being the avid hiker I am; I would that my hikes WERE a little longer.

but something is better than nothing.

It's great that you're getting out with your son. Yeah, something is better than nothing, but I would also like longer hikes. My weeknight hiking group is currently averaging around 3-4 miles and that seems awfully short.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Where do you go hiking?

Mostly between Issaquah and Snoqualmie Pass. Sometimes I go further out on weekends. I've done some exploring at Mount Rainier over the last few years and that's been a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Cool goals, can we see some photos of your hikes? :) xx

Maybe? I don't take a lot of pictures because I often forget to bring my camera (the ancient non-smart phone takes inferior pictures, so I usually don't bother with it) and this time of year, my after work hikes are entirely in the dark. That will start to change after daylight savings time starts (only 3.5 weeks away!?!), so maybe I can get some pictures towards the end of the challenge. I will try to remember the camera if I go out on the weekends.

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor (2021)

I wish gardening was an option right now.

Except there's two feet of snow out there and it's many degrees below zero.

tenor.gif

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I wish gardening was an option right now.

Except there's two feet of snow out there and it's many degrees below zero.

Last year around this time, there was a foot of snow in my yard, but that was pretty unusual. This year, I had barely a half inch total. I hope you warm up soon!

Walk to Mordor (2021)

19 hours ago, Salinger said:

How are you Hal?X

Hmmm, that can be a dangerous question. My emotional reserves are pretty low (doesn't take much for me to start crying) and I think I'm getting sick. I just hope it's a cold and not the flu that my boss had two weeks ago. He was pretty sick.

However, at the moment I'm in a really good mood. I went on a hike tonight (all dark, no pics, sorry) and I just ate a big bowl of soup!

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Hi hi -

Wanted to check in and say I hope your weekend got better for you both physically and mentally - I hope you avoided the sickness and bad brain gremlins! ❤️ 

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

13 hours ago, loire said:

Hi hi -

Wanted to check in and say I hope your weekend got better for you both physically and mentally - I hope you avoided the sickness and bad brain gremlins! ❤️ 

Thanks! I either have a mild cold or I'm allergic to something in the air. It's a bit annoying, but not too bad. I bailed on some training (not wanting to stand around in the snow for hours if I was actually sick) and had a fairly relaxing weekend!

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Week 1! Here we go!

Week 1, Day 1 - Sunday

Workout: (0/2)

Weeknight Hike: (0/1)

Clean the floor: (1/7) Picked up a few papers and swept by the front door

Bible reading: (1/7)

Yard/Garden: Chopped the grass until the battery died. One section of my yard seems to have grown 4 to 6 inch tall moss which is really weird. I didn't make much progress there and will have to attack it again when the battery is charged.

Taxes: No

After chopping the grass, I went for a walk around sunset (not that there was much sun to see, but the light on the trees was pretty). After dinner, I caught up on dishes and made banana muffins.

Extra To-Do List:

Banana muffins

Mend skirt

Make oil change appointment

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Week 1, Day 2 - Monday

Weeknight Hike: (0/1)

Clean the floor: (1/7) Forgot

Bible reading: (2/7)

Yard/Garden: No

Holiday on Monday, so I didn't have to go to work. Caught up on some volunteer stuff in the morning. Went hiking in the afternoon (in the daylight!!!) and did climbing skills practice in the evening. @Salinger here's a photo from the hike. The paragliders were out which is always fun to watch!

IMG_2788.thumb.JPG.0f795367510e4294a43b1fc9defb784c.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Walk to Mordor (2021)

Week 1, Day 3 - Tuesday

Weeknight Hike: (1/1)

Clean the floor: (2/7) Swept the bathroom floor. It took 2 minutes to do the whole thing. Seriously, why do I put off doing things like this.

Bible reading: (3/7)

Yard/Garden: No

Went hiking after work. The stars were pretty amazing, but it was dark, so no pictures.

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor (2021)

11 hours ago, Salinger said:

Where is this ?? Beautiful! X

It's outside of Seattle, Washington (Seattle is behind the hill in the left of the photo).

I think I'm going to keep my hiking location descriptions kind of vague in the forums, but if anyone wants to know the exact name of a particular hike, feel free to message me.

• Like 2

Walk to Mordor (2021)

13 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

It's outside of Seattle, Washington (Seattle is behind the hill in the left of the photo).

I think I'm going to keep my hiking location descriptions kind of vague in the forums, but if anyone wants to know the exact name of a particular hike, feel free to message me.

Lovely, it looks like England :D xx

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, tonic said:

Congrats on the climbing gym! 

I keep wanting to go to one but chicken out. I just got my tomatoes started indoors. I am also in the Seattle area but closer to Edmonds.

Maybe you could take a class or go with friends. The main reason I started going was because I had friends who kept asking me to come. I felt really awkward walking in the first few times, but it's getting better now, especially since I took the belay test.

Best of luck with your tomatoes! I grew some one year, but they got blight :( and except for spaghetti sauce, I don't eat a lot of tomatoes, so I didn't try to grow them again.  

Walk to Mordor (2021)