Tobbe Becomes a Yogi in South East Asia

Tobbe

22 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I don't even want to imagine how much stress this would add to a situation. Yikes.

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sorry about the clusterfuck you’re going through - that’s a lot to deal with in an already stressful situation!

5 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Fingers crossed that the damage is covered and you’ll be home soon! 

Thank you all! It sure does spice up the situation a little bit :) 

20 hours ago, analoggirl said:
Ah! The battle of the perception of different temperaments. I've had a similar discussion before :) 

That's on them. They are feeling (unrightfully so) dominant while personally, I experience it as saving my energy for more productive moments.

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

For me it’s better to know straight away when I’ve crossed the line. Like training a dog. 😂 If you say sorry, I take it that you’re in the wrong, not me and my behaviour is justified. 

17 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Better to calmly tell them, "I'm not doing this with you. We'll talk about this later." and then calmly remove yourself from the situation. And now you've established your boundaries.

Interesting to see the different temperaments. I will definitely say "don't talk to me like that" if I feel disrespected. But my responses are reason, withdraw, attack, in that order of preference. I would much rather raise the drawbridge than storm the enemy citadel.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Lizards are awesome, they eat bugs. I've never been crapped on by one before though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Bummer that it’s such a short layover! Qatar Airways runs a program for 20+ hour layovers that includes accommodations and some tourism things. Enjoy it, though - and gals you’re on your way home!

• Like 1

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Am I allowed to write that I am amazed by the size of this lizard's intestines ? 😀

Hope you've enjoyed the stay despite the relationship adventures. You sure look like the adventure and discoveries friendly sort, so I'm not too worried about it. Have a safe trip back.

• Haha 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

10 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Bummer that it’s such a short layover! Qatar Airways runs a program for 20+ hour layovers that includes accommodations and some tourism things. Enjoy it, though - and gals you’re on your way home!

I would love to visit Qatar some time. It's a part of the world I've never been to. Also want to go to Dubai. Coworkers at my old job went there and spoke highly of it.

Yeah, we're on our way home. Not sure how to feel about that. TBH I could easily have stayed another month. But for the sake of the rest of the family I think it's good we're going home. They have friends back home that they miss.

7 hours ago, Jean said:

Am I allowed to write that I am amazed by the size of this lizard's intestines ? 😀

Haha, of course you are :) 

7 hours ago, Jean said:

Hope you've enjoyed the stay despite the relationship adventures. You sure look like the adventure and discoveries friendly sort, so I'm not too worried about it. Have a safe trip back.

💯 I have!

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Haha that’s certainly an experience!

Yep, not something that's going to happen back home!

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

i admire your cool headed ness- you’re definitely good travel company :)

I try my best. But I did fail a little bit yesterday. We had a domestic flight booked from Phu Quoc to Ho Chi Minh City with VietjetAir. We've been trying to check the status of our flight, but only gotten an error message back. We also tried going through the booking process, just to see what flights were available. But again we just got an error message. So I did get a little worried that there was something going on with this flight as well. For once I actually felt more worried than my wife (or at least what she let show)

• Like 3
On 2/28/2020 at 6:03 AM, Tobbe said:

I try my best. But I did fail a little bit yesterday. We had a domestic flight booked from Phu Quoc to Ho Chi Minh City with VietjetAir. We've been trying to check the status of our flight, but only gotten an error message back. We also tried going through the booking process, just to see what flights were available. But again we just got an error message. So I did get a little worried that there was something going on with this flight as well. For once I actually felt more worried than my wife (or at least what she let show)

I hope it all works out.. that IS worrying. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thursday

Spent the morning packing all our stuff. Checkout by noon. Before leaving the hotel, and its wifi, I signed up for Audible and downloaded the book @Tanktimus the Encourager recommended to me.

Screenshot_20200227-101921.jpg.73aa7de8855470675de29d4a8074bfd4.jpg

More than 14 hours of listening! At least I wont be lacking entertainment for our flight home :)  

After checkout my wife wanted to go to a second hand store she had spotted a few days earlier, to see if they had any dresses that fit her. While she was looking at dresses, the boys and I looked at the art they had on the walls. My oldest son told me he really liked this one, and I kind of like it too. But we have nowhere something like that would fit in our house.

20200227_120950.thumb.jpg.861bd33571733d1077bdee96ea92ab99.jpg

We also wanted to go for a final swim in the ocean. On the way there I just had to take a photo of the cows. Just can't get over that they have cows just walking freely all over the place!

20200227_135554.jpg.fe025437b1e7d767231d26f028296bbb.jpg

After the swim in the ocean it was time to say our final goodbyes to the lovely staff at the hotel and grab a taxi to the airport. Thankfully we had no issues with the flight, and a few hours later we arrived safely in Ho Chi Minh City. The hotel my wife had found and booked was less than a mile from the airport, so we took a taxi there for $2.50 :) Dumped our bags and went out to get something to eat. I hit up TripAdvisor and found a restaurant really close to the hotel I wanted to try. They had food, that even though it was Vietnamese, I thought the rest of the family would like as well. They basically served two different dishes at this place, springrolls with noodles and grilled pork soup with noodles. My oldest son has been awesome with trying new things this trip, so we ordered two grilled pork soup with noodles, because that's something we hadn't tried before. And the springrolls was the safe option for the other in the family. Unfortunately they were out of springrolls (we arrived late, they were cleaning up the place to close it when we got there). So we just ordered food for me and my oldest son first. But when the others tried it, they liked it too, so we got two more servings. After eating we were all tired, so with full bellies we went to bed and we all slept really good.

Yoga

None. I've noticed that I always find it difficult to find a place and time to do yoga the first day at a new place.

• Like 7

Friday

Our original flight would have left at around 5 am. But this new flight we had booked didn't leave until 7 pm. So we had almost a full day to kill in HCMC. We decided to pay extra for late checkout, and took a quiet day at the hotel. I worked for a bit, my wife could read a few pages in her book, and the kids played. For breakfast my wife decided to go for the buffet at the hotel, but I wanted something more Vietnamese. And the boys wanted to play on their tablets. So I went out to get a Banh Mi (Vietnamese sub) for me and my oldest son, and just some yogurt, fruit and a pot of instant noodles from the grocery store across the street for my other son. Then the three of us ate breakfast in the hotel room.

Taking the elevator up to our room, we noticed a mystery "M" button on the floor selection panel. Our curiosity got the best of us, so after breakfast we just had to find out where it would take us. It took us up on the roof!

20200228_121714.jpg.89b2b885ab9a0be9d408875e8c8673ad.jpg

20200228_121750.jpg.c2d471fb4be510b05eb96586eedf1c9a.jpg

20200228_121817.jpg.17fc3e3483538c805402cb0dd4755b2e.jpg

In the middle photo above, to the left of the "God Bless Us" building, you can see the airport in the distance. And the last photo above shows three paintings they had hung up there on the roof for some reason. Other than those paintings there was mostly left over building materials and other debris up on the roof... No chairs, plants or other things you might otherwise find on a roof deck.

Our previous experience with HCMC wasn't very good. But both going out for dinner the night before, and just going out to buy breakfast this morning felt just fine. This was a much quieter neighborhood, and we all felt much more accustomed to the Vietnamese culture this time around. So for lunch we all decided to go out explore a little bit. And it was a great success! We all found food we liked, and we got to try freshly pressed orange juice made from their green oranges. And I got to try a new food that I had no idea what it was, so obviously I had to buy it and try it :D 

This is what it looked like when I got it.

20200228_152955.jpg.5788c75be5c02ffc25040ff8853b7679.jpg

And this is what was inside

20200228_153330.jpg.fbdf37a4232a2661a604104e6b925037.jpg

Some kind of super starchy rice dough filled with minced pork, beans and quail eggs. Not a favorite. Wouldn't buy it again, but it was fun to try!

After our (late) lunch we went to the airport and got on our flight to Doha, Qatar.

Yoga

I did some calf raises and body weight squats on the plane to get some blood flowing in my legs after sitting too long. Does that count? :P 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I did some calf raises and body weight squats on the plane to get some blood flowing in my legs after sitting too long. Does that count?

Better than nothing!!! 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Saturday

Flight from Doha to Copenhagen, then train home to Sweden.

20200229_092825.jpg.8aa62e9c866e5ff1e55190c338673ba5.jpg

My kids crashed on the train :P They had a hard time falling asleep on the airplane, but once we were on our second train (out of three), they couldn't stay awake any longer. One thing I noticed about that photo above is that it looks like the train was almost empty. You can see one random dude sitting opposite my boys, but that's what we do in Sweden. We don't sit next to any stranger on trains or buses. So all those seats behind my boys have one person sitting in them, next to the window, and their bag/backpack on the seat next to them, towards the isle so that no one should sit there. So when we got on the train there was nowhere for us all to sit, we had to spread out a little.

My parents in law picked us up at the final train station when we got there and gave us a ride home. They had also brought lunch for us we only needed to heat in the microwave. That was really nice of them. Not having had to cook for two months, do I even know how to do it anymore? :P 

In the afternoon I drove to the store to stock up the fridge a little bit. Had to buy something to eat for dinner, and breakfast the day after. But couldn't think of anything I wanted to cook... Some Pho Bo would have been nice, or some fried noodles with seafood perhaps. But now I'll have to try to adjust to Swedish foods again :D My wife had two things she wanted me to buy, butter and cheese. She's really been missing her crispbread with cheese! While wandering the store I found they had a deal on leek, so I figured I'd cook a leek and lentil soup for dinner. It's not anyone's favorite, but it's something everyone will eat.

When I got back home the house was totally quiet. Everyone had gone to bed, and two out of four were already sleeping. My wife was reading a book, so I asked her if she wanted to come up and eat with me, because I was hungry. She did, but she didn't want to wait for me to cook anything. She just wanted crispbread with butter and cheese, and a cup of tea. I didn't feel like cooking just for myself, so I had what she was having. And I'm not going to lie, it was good :)  After "dinner" (bread and cheese...) we all went to bed.

Yoga

Nope. Not in SE Asia anymore :P  Nah, on a serious note though, I actually need to figure out what I want to do with this yoga stuff... Should I continue?

• Like 7

Awww, your kids look so cute sleeping like that ❤️ 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:53 AM, Tobbe said:

I actually need to figure out what I want to do with this yoga stuff... Should I continue?

Depends: does it still make you feel good? If so, continue, if not, try other stuff :) 

• Like 3
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

On 3/1/2020 at 11:53 AM, Tobbe said:

but that's what we do in Sweden. We don't sit next to any stranger on trains or buses. So all those seats behind my boys have one person sitting in them, next to the window, and their bag/backpack on the seat next to them, towards the isle so that no one should sit there. So when we got on the train there was nowhere for us all to sit, we had to spread out a little.

We do that too, but if you'd asked me if you could sit together with your sons I would've moved to another seat next to a friendly-looking person. Don't pay attention to people if I'm not asked because train rides take a long while and I try to make use of my time :) 

In buses I've also day dreamed and had an older person ask me if she could sit down. I've been grateful I was asked because I want to be helpful even though I day dream :D Sooo... No worries, next time, scan for some polite looking person & ask! (The kids even have that cute factor so you have extra charisma points.)

Hope the book is useful!

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

7 hours ago, Terah said:

Depends: does it still make you feel good? If so, continue, if not, try other stuff :) 

Kind of... I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but I'm also not dreading it. And once I get started it feels nice. But I'm also waiting for the session to be over 😛  I think I'll continue until I find something better to do.

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

We do that too, but if you'd asked me if you could sit together with your sons I would've moved to another seat next to a friendly-looking person. Don't pay attention to people if I'm not asked because train rides take a long while and I try to make use of my time :) 

In buses I've also day dreamed and had an older person ask me if she could sit down. I've been grateful I was asked because I want to be helpful even though I day dream :D Sooo... No worries, next time, scan for some polite looking person & ask! (The kids even have that cute factor so you have extra charisma points.)

Yeah, he probably would have moved if I had asked. But I don't feel comfortable asking someone I don't know to do something for me... I'm the same way you describe though - if someone had asked me I would have felt glad to be able to be helpful/accommodating. 

5 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Hope the book is useful!

I like it so far

• Like 2

Sunday

Pretty slow day at home. Unpacking bags and stuff. Scrolling through YouTube in the morning I found a "Morning Yoga" video with Adriene. My wife was going to take the kids to soccer practice, so I'd have a while for myself at home. Figured I'd do the yoga then. But once she left I was too tired to get my ass out of the couch, so the clock ticked past noon before I mustered up the energy to actually do the yoga. So I did "morning yoga" in the afternoon. It was a very gentle session, which was nice. But there was this one pose that really made me realize I absolutely must work on my flexibility. I wasn't even close to being able to do what Adriene was doing. 

When my wife got back home at around 2 pm we first had lunch, and then we went for an hour walk. We were curious to see what had happened around here the last two months. We walked around the lake we have here, and wow! Lots of water!

20200301_160903.jpg.bc98a39ac235a82662df979c24d8d48a.jpg

That bathing jetty is a feet or two above the water.

20200301_160747.jpg.0f235ab6e680d54b645e838d5ee14f28.jpg

And this fire pit is not supposed to be out in the lake! 😛 

Yoga

Yep, see above!

• Like 6

Monday

Back to work at the office for the first time in a long time! Could have worked from home, but I had a meeting, and I wanted to show everyone that I actually was working, and not only slacking. Before lunch I went for a walk and listened to my audio book. I've listened to it on our flight home, and on the train ride too. But I kept falling asleep, so I have had to rewind a bunch of times. I like the idea he's writing about. But he uses way too many words. I feel like this book could have been 50% shorter and still contain the same information. And I don't know why, but it totally rubs me the wrong way that he refers to everything as "advanced relationship skills". "Once you've mastered this advanced relationship skill..." and then he goes off on some tangent and doesn't tell me what that skill is until twenty minutes later. But, again, I do like his thoughts/ideas. A lot of what he writes resonates with me. So I'm definitely going to continue listening. I do feel a little overwhelmed with ideas/techniques/strategies. How can I remember it all? And how should I/we put it in to practice? I feel like I would need a step-by-step guide to help me put all of it to use after I've finished the book.

Yoga.

Don't think so. I haven't gone to bed yet, so there is still time. But I'm really tired, so probably not going to do any yoga.

• Like 7

Glad you guys got home safe! 

• Like 2

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Tuesday & Wednesday

Nothing much happening. It's crazy how fast you get back in to the daily grind. Kids to school, grocery shopping, cooking dinner, packing lunch, tea to wake up in the morning, kid's soccer practice... The hamster wheel is spinning. I don't mind too much though. It's a comfortable life. And it makes me long for the next adventure. And when I do go on my next adventure it's going to be that much more interesting and exciting because it's something very different from 9-5, Monday-Friday, life.

Yoga

Didn't do any yoga last Monday, just as I thought. Didn't do any on Tuesday either, which I had hoped I would have. But Wednesday evening I did this one 

Trying to keep my hips square while doing humble warrior is really difficult! 

• Like 2
On 3/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, Tobbe said:

It's crazy how fast you get back in to the daily grind.

Right! 

Just make it as good of a grind as you can :)  and by good I mean filled with things that either make you happy or that you think are important. 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram