[AoV] Week by Week

Prologue

I took my usual winter sabbatical off social media to figure out what’s important and what I most missed. And again, NF begin to call to me....

The House of Vries once again finds itself in transition. Mr’s work contract ended quite suddenly at the end of November (we expected the end of 2020), leaving us in a tumble. Our plans had been that after that contract, we would make good on Operation: Escape London and find our forever home. We’ve decided to go forward on that... probably.

New employment hasn’t surfaced in the primary places we wanted to go to, and new places to research have come to light. In addition, the siren’s call of adventure always trickles in, inviting us to come away from settling somewhere and making roots, or put that off for another few years and go explore another land. And also London keeps her claws in us, whispering to stay for a few more years... who would be mad enough to leave this glorious city? Mr and I have never been good at settling down, despite really wanting to.

We are fortunate. We are in a position to take our time and be choosy about our next move. But I find this in-between space stressful. Even... unsettling. So much change is soon to come—yet where is it? When is it? What will it look like?

Unsurprisingly, most of my goals from autumn into winter fell through into icy waters. The whole household routine is in shambles. We had continual illness (one or all of us) until after Christmas. Amid this, SAD hit me like a truck. My physical activity went down, and my weight ticked up. We’re still picking ourselves up and trying to get sorted. Preparing to sell the house for a move? Haven’t even started!

So, my goals will be about getting myself grounded again. To get comfortable in this uncertainty—and indeed, be ready to take action when and if we find the right contract and the right place and pull the trigger. That may be during this challenge, or it might be another....

Oh, and there’s likely to be an adventure or few along the way....

• Like 5

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Challenge: Taking It Week by Week

I have a bit of a “joke” that whenever I try to make a plan, the Fates show up and remind me that I’m not in charge. Given our state of transition, I’m not going to tempt them too much this time around. I’ll be taking this challenge and the goals week by week—and even that may prove difficult! Given the 10 year anniversary theme, I’ll also be doing some retrospectives on earlier parts of my AoV journey (and the earlier attempts that failed). 

The initial theme is about getting grounded and back into a routine. This, of course, may rapidly shift if our situation changes....

• Like 5

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

@Ann of Vries! We have missed you! 

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Week One (and a bit of Zero)

Week One is a bit complicated. Mr is going away for interviews across the country for 3 days and 2 nights. The morning after his late night return, I’m heading out for 3 days and 2 nights for an event (I’ll tell you more about that in another post). That’s 6 days we are ships in the night, which is hard on us as lovers, but also as parents. And this is the first time either of us has been away overnight since Enting was born. All crammed into one crazy week.

So we’re expecting some toddler behavioral disturbances... particularly when Mummy is away, given Mummy has never been gone for more than a few hours and the amount of bedtimes she’s missed across his entire life can be counted on one hand. And there’ll probably be some “aftershocks” on my return as well from such a strange week.

(All goals are off, except perhaps the first, while I’m away.) 

So with that in mind, I’m going to ressurrect some habits that have worked well for me in past challenges—

Don’t (always) eat the croissant.

When I am feeling low energy, I tend to eat more junk or indulgent foods and move a lot less. So sometimes, dear self, choose not to eat the junk option.

Basics—done.

Kitchen clearing (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and laundry (on, hang to dry, put away previous day’s dry laundry). Every. Day. This is the cornerstone of keeping the house tidy, and I’ve been struggling just managing that. It’s time to get on top of that, and then I can work on the other endless tasks that need doing....

Get outside.

On nursery days (3 x a week) I get in 10k steps easily. On every other day... not so much. This is harder now with a toddler than it was when he would hang out in my carrier for hours on end, but I still need to get out there and move. Mr has gotten back into running, we’re talking about maybe getting a running buggy so he can take Enting out with him. Or we can all run together! 

Spiritual/‘Craft Self Care

Finding uninterrupted time to meditate is nearly impossible these days (if it’s not Enting, it’s Mr), but when I think of it, I can do some grounding/centering as I lie in bed to go to sleep. So remember to take those moments. And when I have space of true uninterrupted time—use those, too! 

And ’craft. Whether it’s my knitting or spinning or sewing projects or making of the more witchy kind of ‘craft, carve out time for it. My family needs me sane.

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Reflecting on the NF past

I first found NF around... 2011. I was a recovering MMO-holic and figuring out what to do with all of that spare time and realizing I wasn’t exactly fit. I styled myself as the “urban druid” and set lots of ambitious walking goals. This was fine, but actually it’s easier to sit in front of a computer for 5 hours after work every night than try to get out and walk 2 hours. I fell off on tracking pretty fast, although I did still frequently go for walks. (Just not super long ones.)

The next time found me in... maybe 2013? I had just bought my small-holding and spring was coming and I had a goal about being out in the garden with my chickens and growing food (practical exercise) and writing stories. Again, I more or less kept to the spirit of my goals, but fell off on tracking.

In 2015 I was back again. I was going through some major emotional trauma, and I went back to my walking goals, which later on turned into running goals as I trained for a 10k. I fell off keeping up on the challenge, but I did manage to train for those 10k runs!

In 2016, I had moved to the UK and made more walking goals to explore the area. As usual, it wasn’t the walking that got me down—it was the tracking and updating!

(Some of these were challenges, some were battle logs. All under a different set of usernames....)

In 2018 or so, early 30-something weeks pregnant, I came back to NF under the name you now. I just had little goals to get myself moving after a rough early pregnancy and keep myself from turning into a couch potato in late pregnancy and hopefully build habits that might stick after the nuclear blast of new parenthood.

And minus a challenge here and there, two years later I’ve stayed! I usually don’t meet my challenge criteria but I’m always my better self when I have a challenge going.  I’ve learned that tracking is usually more onerous than the doing, and metrics don’t work for me and the more I remember that, the more I enjoy my challenges.

Here’s to many more years and more leveling up my life! 

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

On my mind lately—

In my perfect world, the daily wanderings and activities of my day would be enough to keep me fit. Gardening,  tending to animals, walking or cycling errands, etc. There might be a time in my life when that’s true, but it’s certainly not right now. I been teasing Mr about getting him a running buggy for Father’s Day so I’m not always providing childcare whenever he wants to go out for a run, but actually, I’m starting to think maybe I could be doing a bit of running myself.

So I’m going to step up some of that poking around I’ve been doing on getting a running buggy (thinking secondhand because they’re expensive, although I’ve found some new ones that don’t cost any more than, say, the hiking carrier we have. And it would in theory get used a lot more often.)

I’ve also been thinking about getting a bicycle with a child seat so I can use that to get around. I can still take the weight—13kg or so now. It’s that he’s super tall and I am rather petite (he’s not quite 22 months and stands up to my hip) and it’s a bit awkward. I’d like to just be able to strap him in and jump on the bike ride where we want to go instead of dealing with buggies and lifts and the tube.

I think the thing holding me back on both is relocation. Where we live now, there is good running out our front door. There are a lot of nearby places I can easily cycle to without dealing too much with car traffic. (There are also many places in London I would not feel safe on a bicycle.) 

But that doesn’t necessarily apply to our next home, wherever and whenever that might be.

• Like 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

She's BACK! Hooray!

On 2/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ann of Vries said:

New employment hasn’t surfaced in the primary places we wanted to go to, and new places to research have come to light. In addition, the siren’s call of adventure always trickles in, inviting us to come away from settling somewhere and making roots, or put that off for another few years and go explore another land.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ann of Vries said:

my goals will be about getting myself grounded again. To get comfortable in this uncertainty—and indeed, be ready to take action when and if we find the right contract and the right place and pull the trigger. That may be during this challenge, or it might be another....

Goodness gracious do I feel you on this one. Uncertainty is really, really difficult (it's kicking my ass pretty hard right now too). Here's wishing you strength and wisdom to work through it together and get to wherever the next place is with sanity and joy intact.

On 2/13/2020 at 6:18 AM, Ann of Vries said:

I’m heading out for 3 days and 2 nights for an event (I’ll tell you more about that in another post)

<blinks expectantly>

Oh, wait. You're probably going to wait until it happens, aren't you? That's fine.

I guess.

<sighs, resolves to practice patience>

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I think the thing holding me back on both is relocation. Where we live now, there is good running out our front door. There are a lot of nearby places I can easily cycle to without dealing too much with car traffic. (There are also many places in London I would not feel safe on a bicycle.) 

But that doesn’t necessarily apply to our next home, wherever and whenever that might be.

What would the break-even point look like? I mean, how much could you comfortably spend on something that supports your current life without worrying about whether or not you'll use it in the future? Perhaps you could buy something with a full intention to sell it if/when you move, to add to that calculation even further?

Related question: do you prefer running to biking, or vice versa? It seems like either would work for you right now -- a running buggy on the tube is a pain, but so is dealing with securing a bike and its attachments in an urban situation. If you pick the activity you'll actually do, it will probably be easier to overcome the annoyances :) 

Welcome back and good luck!

• Like 1

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 ]

[ Current: The Last Homely House ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Get outside.

Morning trip to Saturday market—Spa Terminus, a section under the rail arches which is a bunch of higher end food distributers/restaurant suppliers in which some open to the public on Saturday mornings.

Lots of walking, meeting up with friends, and delicious foods. I also got a bouquet to put on the dining table—I’ve been transitioning from our winter decorations to seasonal spring flowers. But Storm Dennis is coming in, so we rushed inside well before lunch.

0468023E-D869-49D2-A1C4-378F08C7AD9F.thumb.jpeg.d2b0a4e7f4d5a8ee10a74348dd5073c8.jpeg

A windy, stormy selfie. Rain followed soon after.

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

15 hours ago, oromendur said:

What would the break-even point look like? I mean, how much could you comfortably spend on something that supports your current life without worrying about whether or not you'll use it in the future? Perhaps you could buy something with a full intention to sell it if/when you move, to add to that calculation even further?

Related question: do you prefer running to biking, or vice versa? It seems like either would work for you right now -- a running buggy on the tube is a pain, but so is dealing with securing a bike and its attachments in an urban situation. If you pick the activity you'll actually do, it will probably be easier to overcome the annoyances :) 

All good things to consider, thank you! I haven’t bicycled in many, many years. But at some point I won’t have the Tube and I don’t much like driving, either. I think I just imagine myself using a bicycle to run errands in town. The running buggy is really just so one or both of us can run without wondering what happens with Enting.

Talking to Mr about it and the things you brought up, I think we’re going to go for the running buggy now (IE when I find the right one at the right price), and wait on the bicycle to find out what’s what. The former we can both use now, and if it’s just not feasible for our hypothetical new locale, they have a good resale value. I can probably cycle wherever we end up, but the sort of bicycle I need could change depending on the terrain and make-up of the area.

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Week One Revised

I’ve been thinking more about Week One, and I’m going to change it up a little bit. The challenges going on for Week One is that Mr is going out of town for 3 days (2 nights), when one parent out overnight has never happened in Enting’s lifetime and I imagine that it will a shock when Daddy isn’t there the next morning for breakfast. I’m not sure when I’m going to take a shower.

To compound that, upon Mr’s return, I’m going on a solo out-of-town adventure for the first time since Enting was born! This will also be 3 days and 2 nights, and we’re expecting Enting fallout to be even more explosive since if there is one thing certain in Enting’s world, it’s Mommy Will Be There.

So this week is broken into two parts:

Monday-Thursday

Get out! 

The last thing I need to do while Mr is away is to sit at home and be mopey. I have an Enting to entertain! The weather isn’t looking great this week, and it’s Half Term (Week long school holiday) which means none of the community toddler groups are running, and all of the other event spaces I’d take Enting will be overrun with older children. *sigh* Oh, and the two big children’s parks in my neighborhood are shut down for renovation.

I have my work cut out for me. But we’ll come up with something. He has morning nursery on Monday and Thursday which is a lifesaver.

I aim to take him out each morning (unless it’s torrential), and if I can do a short afternoon outing, too, that’s bonus.

Keep Calm and Carry On

I’ve been using the buggy a lot lately. It’s just more convenient if I’m in the neighborhood and it’s easier to get him into it when he’s being defiant (Terrible Twos are approaching) than it is into a carrier.

But I find buggies weird. I’m not judging anyone using them, because they are the cultural standard, but I find putting my baby into a wheeled seat facing away from me and out of my reach a little surreal. I prefer to keep him close. Even though he’s not exactly little or a baby anymore. Also, it’s great added exercise on an errand.

So I’m trying to use the carrier more often again. I still use the buggy when I really think it’s going to be the best option for the situation (an example is shopping when I need to try on clothing), but I want to use a carrier more often. Currently, we’re learning a new back carry with the woven wrap, and it’s working well, but it takes practice to get it on quickly and efficiently.

I will practice getting him in and out of the new carry method at least twice a day. Note this doesn’t mean I have to take him out of the house while in the carry if it doesn’t suit our plans. (So it is independent of the Getting Out goal.) I just want to practice the wacky dance that is getting him wrapped up and back down safely to make it easier to use when we are going out.

Don’t Eat like a Bachelor(ette)

Usually, when Mr goes on a business trip, I totally get into all the foods (including junk) that Mr doesn’t like. Not this time. Eat like someone is paying attention, because my Enting is.

Practice self care, whenever I can.

This is going to be a challenging three days. Take time for self care when I need it, even if that means putting Enting in front of the TV for an hour so I can chill out and knit for a little while.

Prepare for Adventure!

I’m going on my first post-Enting solo holiday later this week! It’s a 3 day, 1920’s “Curse of Tutankamen” themed LARP out at a hotel in the Midlands. I got a place very last minute when there was a sudden player drop (these events get planned a year in advance, I found out I was going last weekend). I need to sort out my costume(s), hair and make-up, make a packing list, study my character and the rules, and get packed by Thursday night!

giphy.gif

(I will never not use this GIF when it’s appropriate.)

Friday-Sunday

Have fun, enjoy myself and get into (game) shenanigans! And don’t worry about what’s happening at home. Mr can cope, and Enting will get over it.

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

To me, you seem to have thought through the whole situation, and that's the best you can do. I'm sure Enting will miss you, but also that he'll be really happy when everything comes back to normal.

He looks so cute in the pictures!

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

8 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

F152DBDB-2C73-4459-9B3D-2E39F17C2012.thumb.jpeg.e94ad1aa9f667e415ffbd63740127297.jpeg

ENTING LOVE!!

heart.gif.dd1f0df6cf11cab65aa223c7055a6659.gif

8 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I’m going on my first post-Enting solo holiday later this week! It’s a 3 day, 1920’s “Curse of Tutankamen” themed LARP out at a hotel in the Midlands. I got a place very last minute when there was a sudden player drop (these events get planned a year in advance, I found out I was going last weekend). I need to sort out my costume(s), hair and make-up, make a packing list, study my character and the rules, and get packed by Thursday night!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This is going to be AWESOME! Your Enting (and your Mr) will survive, and all three of you will benefit from the experience. Have fun!

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 ]

[ Current: The Last Homely House ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

1 hour ago, oromendur said:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! This is going to be AWESOME! Your Enting (and your Mr) will survive, and all three of you will benefit from the experience. Have fun!

Admittedly, it wouldn’t have been my first choice for a solo holiday (probably something quieter and less socially demanding), but Mr was apparently more disturbed by the idea of the LARP being compromised (one missing character can derail a dozen storylines in this style of LARP) than he was by caring for Enting for 3 straight days. Or at least he was long enough for me to secure the spot and buy my train tickets ;)

But seriously, we had been really keen about this LARP when it was announced, so I am quite grateful to have this opportunity.

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

1.Monday 

• Got outside to walk for nursery drop-off and pick-up. (It’s about 30 minute round trip each time). DONE.
  • Put him in the wrap for the way out, put him in the wrap on the way home. 2x DONE.

An aside here—the lady who cooks at the nursery who I think is Afro-Caribbean saw me preparing to get Enting into the woven wrap, and she commented “ah, you carry him African style!” She then watched me put him on (which was a little nerve-wracking since we’re still learning to use this one), and told me she’d never actually seen the process of getting the child into position. Once I was done, she asked Enting if he liked being up with Mummy and he said “yeah! Yeah!”

I thought it was a sweet exchange.

• I ordered a dress and an accessories set for the LARP, arriving tomorrow. In a perfect world, I would actually go to some vintage shops and such-like, but with the short notice (and inheriting a character unlike that I normally would ask for, and thus under-costumed for), complications of toddler-in-tow, Mr being away, etc. it hasn’t happened. I figure if the dress I ordered is a disaster, I can return it and still have time to figure something else out.
  • Set up the travel cot as a play pen and filled it with soft toys to use the next 3 days when I need emergency Enting containment. (I used to do this, but Mr has been home for months and I’d just call him to help :P) I also did a light rotating out of some of his toys so maybe there will be some new interest.
  • Another aside—Enting, who has weirdly almost never called me “mama” despite having a relatively large vocabulary (I consoled myself by saying that he still thinks we’re the same being, so why would he have a different name for me?) is now saying, quite distinctly “MAMMY! MAMMY! MAMMY!” To get my attention 😛 

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

is now saying, quite distinctly “MAMMY! MAMMY! MAMMY!”

Haha, congratulations!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

1.Tuesday

Toddler-wearing selfies are going to be a thing until I get bored of it. It’s my version of a workout selfie. /not sorry

Being able to carry around Enting makes me feel more powerful than running a 10k did. Although I’d like to run a 10k again, too!

0F1D94D5-2048-447F-82B9-A30032ED3C02.jpeg.f45719a9c11a11f91363b4800e52aff6.jpeg

As we were going to bed last night, I told Mr that I hoped we slept well (after a rough last week, Enting had began sleeping through the night again) since I had a long day in front of me, and he had a 4 hour drive followed by a job interview.

Fate laughed. As she does. Enting woke at 11:33PM, and I took on baby-aggro for the rest of the night. Mr got some sleep, anyway, which I think had higher priority with that long drive in front of him.

Oh, and Enting and I both have colds now. 

Get out.

Much to my surprise, the toddler playgroup in my neighborhood was running today! And they pointed me at another children’s centre a little further on that will be open tomorrow morning. So that’s morning activities accounted for, at least.

I had grand plans to get us out in the afternoon, too, but torrential cold rain and two sick people, no thanks. 

Carry On.

Enting wasn’t feeling cooperative for the back-carry today, and I didn’t push it. We’re both underslept and sick. But I did take him home from our morning outing in the simpler front carry. (I’d call that .5/2 points, if I were actually keeping points.)

Obligatory selfie:

FA013EB7-4F28-4377-AF8B-0FCFEAA5821D.thumb.jpeg.cef071abe96c9eb044a65ef51c177b8e.jpeg

Eat Like Someone is Watching

Toast for breakfast (that’s normal in this household, we like a good bread). A small ham/pineapple pizza for lunch. Also fine, I think the evils of pizza are more about topping choices than the actual concept.

I roasted a small chicken and paired it with mixed rice and peas for dinner. Lots of roasted chicken to graze on tomorrow.

I snacked on a few caramel rice/corn cakes. 

Self Care Initiated

I had planned to avoid TV for as long as possible, but with underslept, sick toddler and underslept, sniffly mother, I gave in before lunch. *sigh* At least I took him to playgroup where he did a lot of running around and we had quality interactions. 

Prepare for Adventure

I wrote a first draft packing list. 

Spent Enting nap time trying on a lot of clothing (including the new dress) with various accessories, and have mostly sorted out costuming (day wear, evening wear, (It’s a secret) wear). Ordered a hat, because I realized I needed a hat. Debating shoes. 

Dear self, you don’t have time to write entries this long. 

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

1.Wednesday

Last night’s Enting bedtime was not easy. (Daddy is usually the one who sends him to visit the Sandman.) I made a few changes, and tonight he’s gone down easily. (Whether or not he stays down, remains to be seen....)

Get out.

I almost gave up on it this morning with an extraordinarily difficult toddler, but I knew the chances of his mood improving were high if we went to a playgroup. He battled me through every little step of getting out the door (it took over an hour), until he was securely in the wrap. Then, suddenly, everything was fine and he stopped grouching.

This playgroup is further away than the one I normally go to, so I got most of my 10k steps in on that alone.

The afternoon forecast was rainy and cold again, so I didn’t try to come up with an afternoon outdoor plan.

Carry on.

2967DFD4-51E4-42BA-BD7D-BB9D7304CEEA.thumb.jpeg.5316a70c69c06ef083b287fdb5145a35.jpeg

(Yes, he’s looking a little worse for wear—he still has a cold and it was raining so I didn’t want to stop to take a bunch of photos.)

I didn’t push it yesterday, but today I decided “do or die” on getting comfortable with this tying method (maybe Enting’s stubbornness was rubbing off on me), and I got him on whilst he squirmed on the way to the playgroup. (Trying to tie a struggling toddler to your back is a skill.) I was worried about a public meltdown and wrapping failure when I tried to get him on  again at the end of the playgroup, but I figured there was no better way to get adept with this than to make it my only good option. 

I wrapped him up afterwards and he was fine. I have to say, I felt like it was the moment we “got it.” He was secure, safe, the fabric where I wanted it, the amount of slack to knot with perfect, no leaning... it was good.

One of the ladies who run the playgroup commented that the modern woven wraps and carriers look much more comfortable than the ones she remembers people using when she was a child (SE Asia). (“How did our parents put up with all this inferior equipment?! ...I guess they just had to.” She added.)

Eat like someone is watching.

Yoghurt and some lovely rose/pistachio/apricot granola for breakfast. Leftover salmon fillet with rice/peas and furikake/seeds for lunch. Leftover chicken with rice/peas at dinner, and grapes and orange for dessert. 

(Enting is fussy on veg, but he’ll usually take peas, so given it’s just us and just a couple of days, I went for the easy route rather than making a bunch of veg I knew he’d just throw.)

Self care initiated

I let Rowan sort out his own nap this afternoon, after he wouldn’t settle down for/with me. I just wasn’t up for another fight. He only complained for a few minutes before falling asleep on his own. *phew*

Since it was another rainy afternoon and I spent the whole morning interacting/playing with him, I let him have some TV time in the afternoon when he asked for it.

Prepare for Adventure

Packing List round 2 created. Made sure things that I needed washed that aren’t washed got into the laundry and hung to dry. (We don’t have a dryer, and it’s not exactly optimal drying weather.) I’m putting off packing the costumes so they don’t wrinkle up. 

The day started out pretty awful, but I hope it’s ended on a better note. 

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Thinking of you as you work through the last flurry of preparation for your grand adventure! 

On 2/18/2020 at 12:36 PM, Ann of Vries said:

(day wear, evening wear, (It’s a secret) wear)

I don't know if you'll have opportunity, but you should TOTALLY get someone to take some pictures of you this weekend for your adoring internet fans :) But having fun and being in the moment are obviously more important -- so HAVE FUN!

Don't break into any dusty sarcophagi or get yourself cursed ;)

• Like 1

Hope that cold will leave you soon!

1.Weekend—Going on an Adventure

I went on a multi-day solo adventure. Traveling without a toddler on my back! How novel!

BE291BE6-0D8A-4BCD-AB30-E6388593F5F4.thumb.jpeg.5b296f8f99703230c3c0b586efefc442.jpeg

I played the notorious Alice Diamond looking for her lieutenant, Maggie Hill, who had disappeared in Egypt. Good times were had, and I had truly fantastic roleplaying chemistry with two of my main co-conspirators which can really elevate a game experience to the next level.

18113A02-A753-43AE-A998-85775B3219DC.thumb.jpeg.6c45a80f0a359bf3c21cd237b7c9f44e.jpeg

Here’s a quick snap of my evening wear taken just before game in. There was someone taking photos there, so there might be more later if any good ones pop up.

Meanwhile, in London....

95E8DFEE-6FB8-48EF-949E-CE697EE22A53.thumb.jpeg.3fa08de42bf6bff48f3e14bec1e703e7.jpeg

Enting had plenty of fun while I was away, clearly. They don’t even need me! 

I made an effort to make good eating choices at the hotel, but my options weren’t amazing. I’m feeling a bit heavy today, but I’m going to try to get my eating cleaned up again this week. And even though I tried to be responsible about getting sleep (for example, I was not out partying until 3 or 4 like many of my fellow players!) with a time-out of midnight and a time-in of 9am, it’s hard to get enough time to wind down, get real sleep, get breakfast, get costumed... and I was having some bad insomnia, probably due to trying to skip the winding-down period. (Maybe I should have gone to the after game parties!)

I got decent sleep last night, though, but I’m still pretty fuzzy.

Week 2 goals forthcoming. I’m still trying to my head out of 1920’s cursed Egypt and back into my own world. 

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

12 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

multi-day solo adventure

I love everything about this :wub: Roleplaying chemistry, awesome '20s outfit, happy Enting, survival of curses -- I'm so glad you did it, and so glad you had a good time. And I bet Mr and Enting are happy you're back, too, no matter what you say about them not needing you :) 

Welcome home, Adventurer!

home.gif.0e6bd18e42ea2250af14df1db398a387.gif