• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Week 2 Goals: Getting it back together

Eating

I already don’t drink soda, juice, rarely alcohol, or really anything that isn’t water or tea (no sugar or milk); not very into sweets or desserts; we almost never eat out, I homecook most of our meals; I’m not a “low carb” kind of person, but I am a “high protein” one anyway... basically, I feel like I already tick the obvious boxes of things one can do when trying to “clean up their diet.”

So it’s really frustrating that my weight is inching up again. At the moment, I’m going to target portion sizes. I generally have this one under control, but maybe it needs some tinkering with.

This week’s goal: watch portions, and ponder realistic answers to this quandary.

Exercise

I don’t really have an exercise plan, and I need to work on that. I’m finding options really hard with the toddler, who does like to go out a lot but goes very slow when walking, and when playing he’s definitely getting in more steps than I am. 

I keep thinking about getting a jogging buggy to enable me a reliable way to get out and get a burst of exercise, but the price tag always stays my hand before I hit “buy.” We do have the money, I just cringe at spending it.

This week’s goal: order the stupid buggy, and meanwhile try to build a little more activity into my day. Ponder alternative realistic answers to this quandary.

Get My Life in Order

When I’m making a regular to-do list (or a menu for the week, or a list of extra task I need to fit in), I am more likely to actually get the basic things done, and sometimes even the extra things. When I don’t have one, it’s after dinner and I’m just remembering that maybe I should do some laundry so we gave clean clothes tomorrow.

This weeks’ goal: I’ve fallen off the Bujo train again, and I need to get back on. All aboard!

• Like 4

I ordered the running buggy on Wednesday, and less than 24 hours later it was on our doorstep! Of course, I also came down with a cold on Wednesday night, but hey. I’m hoping to break out the buggy this weekend and maybe start doing a Couch to 5K type thing which worked out well for me last time I trained for 5 and 10ks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I ordered the running buggy on Wednesday, and less than 24 hours later it was on our doorstep!

Oh, well done you! I’m so glad you decided to take action to support your life now rather than putting it off for an uncertain future. Wisdom, indeed, from the wise :)

Hope the cold fades soon and you can take your new toy out and play with it! Also, even if it is a running toy, you don’t *have* to run, or even use it to work out. It can supplement and complement your normal routine and carrying activities, and maybe take some of the pressure off on the days when Enting is wiggly or unhappy.

• Like 1

Arg. Week 2 has been kind of fail sauce.

Things about fertility and reproduction behind the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

I had been suspecting I was pregnant for the last couple of weeks. Little signs and symptoms. And then my period was late. My period is never late. Sometimes early. Never late. So I took a pregnancy test and... negative. Very disappointing. Not sure why my period was late (it has since started), but hey. It’s possible that it’s just that I’m 40 and my cycle is getting less regular, or maybe I was pregnant (hence all the nausea, food aversions, other symptoms, etc.) but I’m not anymore. I told Mr that if the latter is the case, better for that result now than in a few weeks when we had built up more excitement.

*sigh* It it what it is. Whatever it is. I just really want to be pregnant again sooner than later. 

This morning we went to cheer on runners doing a half marathon that passed almost in front of our house, and I’m feeling inspired and hoping to get the running buggy out of the box and put together and use it for Week 3. 

• Like 2

About your spoilered part

Spoiler

I've been there too, some time ago. My period is never late either, and I had some very clear sensations, and I remember a nurse that told me "you totally look like you're pregnant", but then the test said nope. Maybe the thing started and then stopped for whatever the reason. The only way to be sure is a blood test to measure hormones levels, there you can see if something was going on and then was interrupted.

Spoiler

My obgyn told me stress played a big impact on my cycle for missed or skipped periods. I’m 39, and I do miss more periods Than when I was 30.
My mom’s friend had a healthy baby at 42, it was an unplanned pregnancy. Lol. My cousin and his wife had their second healthy baby at 40.  I believe deep my my jellies you will be another happy healthy baby story :) 

Hey, thinking of you and sending you good recovery-from-mid-challenge-doldrums thoughts!

How's the running buggy working out?

Hope all is well and you're staying sane ❤️ 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, oromendur said:

Hey, thinking of you and sending you good recovery-from-mid-challenge-doldrums thoughts!

How's the running buggy working out?

Hope all is well and you're staying sane ❤️ 

Oh, ha ha. Yeah, what week is this even?

Due to household illness, it took us 10 days to even get the buggy out of the box and assembled. Mr still isn’t well enough to take it for a spin, and I’m not sure I’m ready to, either. (Plus Enting has a new illness! Hurrah!) I’m not actually sure where to fit it into my day even when I do get it together. 

Bah.

Maybe next week... 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Oh, ha ha. Yeah, what week is this even?

It's the week you popped back in to let your internet friends know you're still kicking, so cheers for that :) 

Sorry to hear you've been plague-ridden :( Stay safe and definitely try to avoid any encounters with the actual plague! Has spring turned up in London yet? My friend in Shropshire says the weather there has been beyond miserable and everyone is knee-deep in mud.

21 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Maybe next week... 

Well, remember it's an option, not a requirement ;) Do what's right for you and your family and if it has to wait a few weeks, it has to wait. No big deal. Hope things start improving!

Hobbit hugs from far away ❤️ 

hobbithugs.gif.e82dfc5d4faabfdbdeb1a6a5b8b95d5f.gif

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, oromendur said:

It's the week you popped back in to let your internet friends know you're still kicking, so cheers for that :) 

Sorry to hear you've been plague-ridden :( Stay safe and definitely try to avoid any encounters with the actual plague! Has spring turned up in London yet? My friend in Shropshire says the weather there has been beyond miserable and everyone is knee-deep in mud.

Well, remember it's an option, not a requirement ;) Do what's right for you and your family and if it has to wait a few weeks, it has to wait. No big deal. Hope things start improving!

Hobbit hugs from far away ❤️ 

hobbithugs.gif.e82dfc5d4faabfdbdeb1a6a5b8b95d5f.gif

Spring is showing its face in London, but only a little bit. Many parts of Shropshire were recently underwater, so I’m not surprised it’s muddy!

My neighbours recently escaped Northern Italy and are currently self-isolating for 14 days (no symptoms yet! *fingers crossed*), however they’re in their 70s so they may have to stay in longer given the current UK strategy :P This was working all right since they had us for support and to do their errands... 

But I started with a fever and cough a couple of days ago, so now I’m following NHS advice and also self-isolating for 7 days. I’m fine, really. Wouldn’t even be concerned if we weren’t having a pandemic and I didn’t have elderly neighbours and a child in the local nursery (he’s been pulled out for the week, even though the little rascal is probably who gave it to me in the first place). 

Maybe I’ll do Couch to 5k for the next challenge, assuming London hasn’t gone into lockdown XD 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

My neighbours recently escaped Northern Italy

I heard about a bunch of kids coming back from their school-sponsored skiing holidays and going directly into quarantine, but older folks too? That's tough. My dance teacher is actually stuck in Italy now. We have no idea when he's going to make it back. At least he's staying with his elderly parents and can help them navigate this mess.

I started with a fever and cough a couple of days ago, so now I’m following NHS advice and also self-isolating for 7 days. I’m fine, really. Wouldn’t even be concerned if we weren’t having a pandemic and I didn’t have elderly neighbours and a child in the local nursery

Good call on the isolation, and also very well done you for not panicking (SO many people are totally panicking). I guess having a little germ-carrier toddling around in your life makes you a total pro at dealing with viral respiratory beasties :) Keep being your pragmatic self, get the care you need if it gets worse, and carry on being awesome ❤️ 

Maybe I’ll do Couch to 5k for the next challenge, assuming London hasn’t gone into lockdown XD 

Maybe you'll be strolling along the deserted riverbanks of Wapping, developing thoughtful, moving tales of surviving the apocalypse :lol:

Stay safe! Hope you feel better soon!

42 minutes ago, oromendur said:

I heard about a bunch of kids coming back from their school-sponsored skiing holidays and going directly into quarantine, but older folks too? That's tough. My dance teacher is actually stuck in Italy now. We have no idea when he's going to make it back. At least he's staying with his elderly parents and can help them navigate this mess.

Currently in the UK, peoples returning from places classified as affected areas are required to go into self-isolation (staying at home, no errands, no visitors, deliveries on doorstep only) for 14 days upon arrival. If it’s a critical areas like Italy, it’s absolute. Other areas, it’s only if you’re showing symptoms. Not many people are going into proper quarantines anymore, which is usually a hospital or other enclosed and government regulated establishment. I think they’ve given up on that level of containment. Northern Italy is a hot mess; my neighbours had been there since January (the husband works there part of the year). We’re glad to have them back. The situation isn’t going great here, but it’s way better than Italy.

42 minutes ago, oromendur said:

Good call on the isolation, and also very well done you for not panicking (SO many people are totally panicking). I guess having a little germ-carrier toddling around in your life makes you a total pro at dealing with viral respiratory beasties :) Keep being your pragmatic self, get the care you need if it gets worse, and carry on being awesome ❤️ 

I’m not panicking, but COVID-19 coverage is pretty much eating my internal and external world right now. It’s hard not to, I guess, when you’re living in a major, crowded city in the “epicentre” of the pandemic :P The problem we have right now with stockpiling is that when people start stockpiling, everyone has to start stockpiling to an extent because hey, we don’t need 10 packs of loo paper, but we do need some! Mostly, I’m managing the online grocery delivery system for my household and our neighbours. Londoners rely quite heavily on it and with everyone wanting to do “social distancing” it’s getting overburdened. Slots are booking out weeks in advance so the neighbours couldn’t get an order in when they finally escaped Italy, the website is getting overloaded and crashing. I was running to the local grocery regularly for odds and ends, but... can’t do that for a few days now! :P I’ve been making use of my gamer skills to navigate the system and making sure we have orders every 3-4 days for both households. 

I have very complicated personal feelings about the US banning visitors from the UK. It officially doesn’t keep me out, but on a practical level it does—I couldn’t take my husband and son. I don’t have health care in a health crisis. I didn’t have any plans to go back to the US right now, but I do find effectively being cut off from the country of my citizenship a little unnerving. And this is all not helping Mr find a job. Interviews are getting moved, canceled, not followed up on... but on the bright side he’s not having to brave the public transit system every day and risking the spread of infection.

So yes, we’re being pragmatic and cautious and trying to follow the guidelines that the health service is putting out for our protection, and trying not to step over the line to panic and paranoia. I think we mostly succeed.

(Right. Part of the reason I’m not posting much here is because it’s pretty much all I can really think or talk about. *sigh*)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

I’m not panicking, but COVID-19 coverage is pretty much eating my internal and external world right now. It’s hard not to, I guess, when you’re living in a major, crowded city in the “epicentre” of the pandemic :P

This is one of the reasons I mentioned it -- you have many good excuses to panic and you're totally not. Of course you wouldn't, because you're awesome, but you're doing an impressive job even for you :) 

I have very complicated personal feelings about the US banning visitors from the UK. It officially doesn’t keep me out, but on a practical level it does—I couldn’t take my husband and son. I don’t have health care in a health crisis. I didn’t have any plans to go back to the US right now, but I do find effectively being cut off from the country of my citizenship a little unnerving.

Maybe it would help to think of it is as the national-level version of social distancing? It's not permanent, it's not a change in policy or anything, it's just a temporary measure taken to stop the spread of the plague. You're not cut off from your friends forever just because you're quarantined because you're sick, right? Same same. (Admittedly, this thought experiment would be easier to accept if politics weren't so completely insane right now -- but I think the principle is sound.)

So yes, we’re being pragmatic and cautious and trying to follow the guidelines that the health service is putting out for our protection, and trying not to step over the line to panic and paranoia.

There is literally no better way to approach this thing. Have you seen sarakingdom's thoughtful thread over in the Monk's guild? It is refreshingly free of either panic or dismissal, and includes some pretty good advice.

Hang in there! Remember you can always vent here if you need to.

❤️ 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, oromendur said:

Maybe you'll be strolling along the deserted riverbanks of Wapping, developing thoughtful, moving tales of surviving the apocalypse :lol:

Just so you know, I was thinking today about an idea I had some years ago about a post-apocalyptic settlement cozy mystery series XD It’s morphed a bit over the day to being more of a cozy, small settlement slice of life fantasy because writing about post-apocalyptic scenarios is a little too close to home at the moment, but hey ^_^ I need something let my brain churn over that isn’t the virus and frankly that’s got to be something removed from reality!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 10:49 AM, Ann of Vries said:

I need something let my brain churn over that isn’t the virus and frankly that’s got to be something removed from reality!

Churn away! In fact now might be an awesome time to dig up a nice pen and a cozy notebook and get some of it down :) 

Hope you're well ❤️ 

19 hours ago, oromendur said:

Churn away! In fact now might be an awesome time to dig up a nice pen and a cozy notebook and get some of it down :) 

Maybe if I didn’t have a stir crazy toddler who only has two boring adults for playmates right now :)