• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KB Girl

KB Girl plunges into chaos

Couldn't miss this special challenge! 

For me it has been almost 7 years since my first challenge.. we had just started our gym, I was still in college studying nutrition.. and I think my first challenge was about earning my kettlebell trainer certificate. Since then I've graduated, the gym has grown/evolved a lot, I've learned so much about kettlebell lifting and grown my own team and been to world championships... I missed a couple of challenges around the time my first daughter was born (she's 3 now) and now we're getting ready for the arrival of our second! 

Gee.. I think my big boss fight has been never feeling good enough at/for anything, but I'm definitely slowly winning that battle. I'm obviously still dealing with it, there have been tears over not being a good enough parent (which I know is bullshit, but still)- I still often feel hesitant and like I don't know nearly enough to be training/coaching people, but I still do it.. and lately I've been trying to work on actually advertising my skills- still getting nowhere with this, but thinking back like this makes me hopeful, perhaps even somewhat confident, that I'll get there eventually. 

2020 is my year of re-working everything that is currently working but will be plunged into chaos in the next couple of weeks. 

I'm allowing myself one new area of improvement, which is a long time dream; writing! blogging, articles, stories.. anything goes. I want to do it. 

Pre-baby challenge; 

1. lift something every day or go for a walk/bike ride

2. enjoy my family consciously, write something down every day

3. get through this list; 

- write rough programs for all my athletes until the next comp

- open and reply to the mail that I've been hiding from

- clean the car

- sort out + wash baby clothes

- pack a hospital bag

- get last stuff ready for a possible home birth

Post-baby-arrival challenge; 

1. stop consuming all dairy products :( 

2. take some time off, take it easy... 

- my business won't collapse if I disappear and stop replying to texts for 2 weeks, seriously.

- it's ok to not want visitors. people can wait to see the baby for a couple of days or even weeks.. and yes it's ok to discriminate. 

3. work on breathing, relaxing pelvic floor and shoulders, re-learn how the body works. 

Bonus challenge; 

Write! anything goes! it doesn't have to be pretty, it's just going behind a spoiler tag on NF, no pressure! 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

there have been tears over not being a good enough parent (which I know is bullshit, but still)

I feel this in my soul.

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

2. take some time off, take it easy... 

- my business won't collapse if I disappear and stop replying to texts for 2 weeks, seriously.

- it's ok to not want visitors. people can wait to see the baby for a couple of days or even weeks.. and yes it's ok to discriminate

Yessssssssss, if you have the capacity to do this I wholeheartedly endorse it. Honestly, we were super picky about visitors early on as well, and I regret NONE of it. There's enough going on without adding other people and their egoes and expectations to the mix. You got this!!!

Also, would love photos when baby comes. ☺️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here!

Wouldn't feel right without you! ❤️

Even if I'm making icky babies :D

15 minutes ago, starsapart said:

I feel this in my soul.

Yessssssssss, if you have the capacity to do this I wholeheartedly endorse it. Honestly, we were super picky about visitors early on as well, and I regret NONE of it. There's enough going on without adding other people and their egoes and expectations to the mix. You got this!!!

Also, would love photos when baby comes. ☺️

I will have to force myself! But hopefully yes! 

This was my first at 3 months old :)

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. 

Much appreciated! :)

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. 

5 minutes ago, sylph said:

Here for this!

Awesome! :)

• Like 1

I'll just get started on updates then. 

Wednesday

Today I'm 36 weeks, so one more week and this baby is good to go. 

In december I got to work with someone on lifting technique with a prosthetic leg, this morning he came back and we spend 3,5 hours on technique again and also fleshing out some long term goals, it was good, really good. Then I had one diet-client and the rest of the day off. 

I took my 3 year old to the park and we went to a shop to get some baskets for the (soon to be) washed baby clothes.. put in a load of laundry and cleaned the kitchen, but didn't do much else because thankfully I had made chili the day before and there was plenty left. If all goes well I'll fold some laundry before going to bed in a little bit.

Tomorrow I get to sleep in and I'll have some time without a child or a client to hopefully get some things done. Also deadlifts would be nice.

21 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay, glad you decided to do a challenge. I think the goal of taking some rest time after the baby is born is very wise!

When Emma was a week old I was teaching a class because it was our best paying group of clients at the time and we were skinned and Jaap was really sick.. I'm really thankful that things are going much better now so I'm pretty sure we can avoid a similar scenario :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

1. stop consuming all dairy products :( 

I have gradually transitioned to cooking almost entirely dairy free, and will tackle baking next. It's a fun challenge, but I imagine some of the fun is lost when you do it by necessity and not by choice.

I'm happy to share recipes if you need them. And if you've done dairy free before I'm happy to partake of any recipes you have to share. :)

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Gee.. I think my big boss fight has been never feeling good enough at/for anything, but I'm definitely slowly winning that battle. I'm obviously still dealing with it, there have been tears over not being a good enough parent (which I know is bullshit, but still)- I still often feel hesitant and like I don't know nearly enough to be training/coaching people, but I still do it.. and lately I've been trying to work on actually advertising my skills- still getting nowhere with this, but thinking back like this makes me hopeful, perhaps even somewhat confident, that I'll get there eventually. 

Sounds similar to redstone's imposter syndrome. I hope the battle continues going your way.

Why does the dairy have to go, if I may ask? 

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Wouldn't feel right without you! ❤️

Even if I'm making icky babies :D

I will have to force myself! But hopefully yes! 

Reveal hidden contents

This was my first at 3 months old :)

What a cutie!!! Going right back to work with a newborn is just brutal, and I imagine it's even worse when you add in physical recovery; hopefully you can avoid overdoing it. ❤️

Today I'm 36 weeks, so one more week and this baby is good to go.

Wow, so close!

Tomorrow I get to sleep in and I'll have some time without a child or a client to hopefully get some things done. Also deadlifts would be nice.

These moments are magical~

giphy.gif

Hope it was productive and rejuvenating!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, Scalyfreak said:

I have gradually transitioned to cooking almost entirely dairy free, and will tackle baking next. It's a fun challenge, but I imagine some of the fun is lost when you do it by necessity and not by choice.

I'm happy to share recipes if you need them. And if you've done dairy free before I'm happy to partake of any recipes you have to share. :)

I have done dairy free before yes! But trying to tweak dairy holding favourites or baking or even just dairy free chocolate would always be so dissapointing that I basically gave up on that. I did get so used to cooking dinner dairy free that I still always do that.

and I’ve learned how to make pancakes and oatmeal now.. do you eat eggs?

id love anything you can share about baking! My daughter is at that age that it’s really fun to bake together. 

I do actually see it as a choice mostly.. 

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sounds similar to redstone's imposter syndrome. I hope the battle continues going your way.

Why does the dairy have to go, if I may ask? 

the similarities are almost creepy! ;)

my first daughter is allergic to cows milk protein, which took me a couple of weeks to figure out.. and those were very unpleasant weeks. 
(if i eat it, it’ll unfortunately get into my milk, so, i suffer for a good cause ;))

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following along for this

awesome! :)

6 hours ago, starsapart said:

What a cutie!!! Going right back to work with a newborn is just brutal, and I imagine it's even worse when you add in physical recovery; hopefully you can avoid overdoing it. ❤️

Yea it is! Upside of owning our own business is getting to spend a lot of time with our children, but downside is that we don’t get the normal maternity leave...

is there no maternity leave when you adopt? That seems crazy.. 

now that I think about it, as crazy as fathers just getting 2 days off from work.. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

Yea it is! Upside of owning our own business is getting to spend a lot of time with our children, but downside is that we don’t get the normal maternity leave...

is there no maternity leave when you adopt? That seems crazy.. 

now that I think about it, as crazy as fathers just getting 2 days off from work.. 

So the US actually doesn't mandate any paid maternity leave. You have FMLA which will give you 12 weeks unpaid, but as far as paid leave, that's at the discretion of individual companies (sigh). Most companies in my field grudgingly give 8-12 weeks, but in most cases, it is to biological mothers only. I was told that since I didn't have physical recovery, they didn't see why I would need parental leave. 🤦‍♀️ I don't understand why fathers don't get leave, and I don't understand why adoptive parents are treated like we're not real parents (legitimately, have these HR people ever met a newborn; regardless of whose uterus that baby grew in, it will need constant attention), but here we are.

• Sad 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Thursday

The child and work free time was spend.. ehm.. sleeping and taking a very long shower and staring into space mostly... 

i did cook dinner with my daughter and we cleaned up around the house a bit. 
Only went to work for 3 hours today which isn’t bad either, but my concentration is shot. Bloody hormones. 

in the evening Jaap (partner) and i sorted through all the baby clothes. I think I have enough of the first two sizes :) also found some blankets etc. Next up is washing them. And then just saying no to ironing ;) 

I did some half hearted deadlifts and lunges today. Heartburn has been driving me crazy and I was just very meh and nope.

• Like 2

Just now, KB Girl said:

The child and work free time was spend.. ehm.. sleeping and taking a very long shower and staring into space mostly...

Okay, but to me, that sounds extremely beneficial, especially right before you have a newborn. That quiet time is to be treasured.

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

And then just saying no to ironing ;)

People iron baby clothes?????????????????????????????????????

1 minute ago, starsapart said:

So the US actually doesn't mandate any paid maternity leave. You have FMLA which will give you 12 weeks unpaid, but as far as paid leave, that's at the discretion of individual companies (sigh). Most companies in my field grudgingly give 8-12 weeks, but in most cases, it is to biological mothers only. I was told that since I didn't have physical recovery, they didn't see why I would need parental leave. 🤦‍♀️ I don't understand why fathers don't get leave, and I don't understand why adoptive parents are treated like we're not real parents (legitimately, have these HR people ever met a newborn; regardless of whose uterus that baby grew in, it will need constant attention), but here we are.

Oh right i forgot the US is basically a third world country :X

that really sucks though- way to treat your employees. How did you survive?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, starsapart said:

Okay, but to me, that sounds extremely beneficial, especially right before you have a newborn. That quiet time is to be treasured.

People iron baby clothes?????????????????????????????????????

Yea it would have been great if I didn’t have a million things to do before next Wednesday :X

i know!! They’re crazy! They say it makes them more dust free or something, and it’s better if you store them for a couple of weeks before the baby arrives. 
and I do actually have to iron the ehm towel-things that are used during and right after delivery. 

3 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Oh right i forgot the US is basically a third world country :X

Honestly, our maternity leave policy is worse than that of many third world countries.

that really sucks though- way to treat your employees. How did you survive?

Caffeine and weekly anxiety attacks/crying hysterically on the kitchen floor, mostly. The first week we were out of state to pick up the baby and able to work remote and tagteam somehow. after that, my wife's work gave her 4 weeks paid (which was actually GOOD for the US). After her time was up, I took my vacation for the year in one lump sum (with HR reminding me that I was VERY FORTUNATE that they were KIND ENOUGH to allow it) and stayed home for two weeks. Once we were both out of time, baby was about 2 months old and we got a nanny part time and my mom came over to help a couple days a week, and then one day a week I worked from home and tried to work and parent simultaneously (mostly, work didn't get done).

They say it makes them more dust free or something, and it’s better if you store them for a couple of weeks before the baby arrives.

Does NOT sound worth it to me 😂

4 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I do actually have to iron the ehm towel-things that are used during and right after delivery.

Not sure what these are, but I believe you! I'm sure you'll get everything done in time, and if not, it will still work out somehow. I have faith in you!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

and I’ve learned how to make pancakes and oatmeal now.. do you eat eggs?

id love anything you can share about baking! My daughter is at that age that it’s really fun to bake together. 

Yes, I eat eggs, and that obviously makes baking a lot easier. I will go through my recipe collection and see what I have that dare sharing... lots of it are untried recipes, and as a rule I never share those.

my first daughter is allergic to cows milk protein, which took me a couple of weeks to figure out.. and those were very unpleasant weeks. 
(if i eat it, it’ll unfortunately get into my milk, so, i suffer for a good cause ;))

gotcha. I didn't know that could happen. So I guess that means no dairy for quite some time. 

Sounds perfect, imo. And half-assed deadlifts are still deadlifts, which is hardcore. Well done.

• Thanks 1

Okay, here. Have some chocolate. :) 

• 4 tablespoons flour
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons water or vegan milk alternative
  • 3 tablespoons flavor-free cooking oil
  • Tiny splash of vanilla extract

Put all the dry ingredients in a tea mug and mix thoroughly.

Add the egg to the mug and mix thoroughly.

Add the oil and either the water or the plant milk, depending on what you decided to use, and mix thoroughly. I would recommend soy milk, rice, or coconut. Nut-based milk seems to react poorly to heat, for some reason.

Add the tiny splash of vanilla, and mix thoroughly again.

After mixing everything in the mug very thoroughly, take the spoon out (very important!), and microwave the mug with contents on full blast, for three minutes. If your microwave is over 1,000 watts, shorten the time by 30 seconds. If it's below 1,000 watts, add 30 seconds. The little mug cake will grow big and poofy, and may grow bigger than the mug. That's okay. It makes it tasty.

After you're done microwaving your brownie, leave it alone for a few minutes to let it finish cooking and cool down, then grab a fork and dig in.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, starsapart said:

I took my vacation for the year in one lump sum (with HR reminding me that I was VERY FORTUNATE that they were KIND ENOUGH to allow it

Sometimes HR people make me want to forget the tenets of my belief system involving loving one's enemies.