KB Girl plunges into chaos

KB Girl

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sometimes HR people make me want to forget the tenets of my belief system involving loving one's enemies.

You can love someone without liking them at all. 

Just a thought. ;) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

You can love someone without liking them at all. 

Just a thought. ;) 

Oh we're well past that.

• Haha 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sometimes HR people make me want to forget the tenets of my belief system involving loving one's enemies.

Have you tried casting them down and smiting their ruins upon the mountainside? 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Have you tried casting them down and smiting their ruins upon the mountainside? 

See, this is precisely the kind of thing frowned upon to which I am nevertheless tempted. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations!

36 weeks and you're lifting weights. You're my hero now.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

20 hours ago, starsapart said:

Honestly, our maternity leave policy is worse than that of many third world countries.

Caffeine and weekly anxiety attacks/crying hysterically on the kitchen floor, mostly. The first week we were out of state to pick up the baby and able to work remote and tagteam somehow. after that, my wife's work gave her 4 weeks paid (which was actually GOOD for the US). After her time was up, I took my vacation for the year in one lump sum (with HR reminding me that I was VERY FORTUNATE that they were KIND ENOUGH to allow it) and stayed home for two weeks. Once we were both out of time, baby was about 2 months old and we got a nanny part time and my mom came over to help a couple days a week, and then one day a week I worked from home and tried to work and parent simultaneously (mostly, work didn't get done).

Oh man I'm seeing red, I don't know how you manage to still work for them. Or how they expect you two give two shits about the company now.. 

Thank god for moms and nannies. And your wife's workpeople. 

18 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes, I eat eggs, and that obviously makes baking a lot easier. I will go through my recipe collection and see what I have that dare sharing... lots of it are untried recipes, and as a rule I never share those.

Yes it does! Then we're in the same boat sort of :) Why are you getting rid of dairy? 

I agree with your rule. Thank you for the recipes! Im going to have a brownie in a mug reaaaal soon. 

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How about the system that even makes this possible? 

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

Didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations!

36 weeks and you're lifting weights. You're my hero now.

Thank you! And thank you! 

it's really not much, but it does keep me somewhat sane. And functioning fairly well, especially compared to my first pregnancy. 

• Like 4

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

9 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Oh man I'm seeing red, I don't know how you manage to still work for them. Or how they expect you two give two shits about the company now.. 

Thank god for moms and nannies. And your wife's workpeople.

They pay well and I get to work 100% remote, so it's convenient for now. I do intend to bounce later this year or early next. But my level of giving a shit about the company's success definitely dropped; I was basically like...

9SAVWYwAcwwdyihOSE36woBj6zbyMo_W-Gn5Xnhm

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

How about the system that even makes this possible? 

👏👏👏👏

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

it's really not much, but it does keep me somewhat sane. And functioning fairly well, especially compared to my first pregnancy. 

I'm impressed, too! And I've definitely heard that staying active makes pregnancy, labor, delivery, and even recovery easier. One of the co-owners of my circus gym taught classes until she was 8 months pregnant, and I think she was back to performing at 2 months postpartum. She is my hero.

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

10 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes it does! Then we're in the same boat sort of :) Why are you getting rid of dairy? 

I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy that is not lactose free is highly unpleasant for me to consume. I also have biological family members who are intolerant or sensitive to dairy proteins, and needs to avoid them, and that in combination with certain other auto-immune things I have going on, has made me want to experiment with avoiding diary entirely, on the hypothesis that my body will be happier without it. I'm slowly working my way in that direction... I have a weakness for using actual butter when cooking and baking, that makes the transition go slowly.

That said, as long as you are able to use and eat eggs, the world of vegan baking is large and fascinating, and I am looking forward to exploring it. :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

5 hours ago, starsapart said:

They pay well and I get to work 100% remote, so it's convenient for now. I do intend to bounce later this year or early next. But my level of giving a shit about the company's success definitely dropped; I was basically like...

I'm impressed, too! And I've definitely heard that staying active makes pregnancy, labor, delivery, and even recovery easier. One of the co-owners of my circus gym taught classes until she was 8 months pregnant, and I think she was back to performing at 2 months postpartum. She is my hero.

Use 'em until you are in a position to get rid of 'em! :P

I was pretty active in my first pregnancy too, pretty much the same level of activity I'd say.. but while labor and delivery was fairly easy, the pregnancy itself and the recovery was really hard. What you're doing and the way you're doing it makes a whole world of difference if you're susceptible to things like pelvic girdle pain or a diastasis. Your circus teacher sounds really badass, but I do like to tell anyone that it's really okay to take a bit longer if it takes a bit longer to put your body back together :) 

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy that is not lactose free is highly unpleasant for me to consume. I also have biological family members who are intolerant or sensitive to dairy proteins, and needs to avoid them, and that in combination with certain other auto-immune things I have going on, has made me want to experiment with avoiding diary entirely, on the hypothesis that my body will be happier without it. I'm slowly working my way in that direction... I have a weakness for using actual butter when cooking and baking, that makes the transition go slowly.

That said, as long as you are able to use and eat eggs, the world of vegan baking is large and fascinating, and I am looking forward to exploring it. :) 

Ahh! yes butter.. I'm still debating with myself over wether to allow it. There's hardly any protein (or lactose) in butter.. so it's very tempting. I might just avoid it at first and then reintroduce asap if all seems to be going well. 

Great thing to experiment with though! Especially with auto-immune issues going on. 

• Like 1

Today (Friday) was a pretty good day, I actually slept 7 hours in a row which made me feel whole loads better. Also the pelvic pain that had been sneaking up on me was magically a lot less when I woke up, imagine that. Only had two work appointments, so spend most of the daylight hours sorting out laundry, baby things, cleaning up, all that good stuff. Jaap (partner) came to help, he did the vacuuming since that hurts me and he got things down from the attic and put things back up there. It was nice. Our daughter amused herself really well while we were doing this and late afternoon/ early evening we spend a lot of time together just playing games and drawing and playing with clay. She counts up to 19, recognises most letters and her own name, she asked me to show her how to make an E and an M today.. and her drawings are suddenly more than just stripes and circles. It's great to see. Oh and when Jaap hurt his knee she said "oh dear, come over here, let me hug you and kiss it better" 🤣

After I put her in bed I spend the rest of the evening playing civ :P 

Tomorrow (Saturday) we have a photoshoot at the gym, just collecting some material for the website and marketing purposes. I hope it goes well. 

Sunday is the first kettlebell competition of the year, luckily not too far away so I feel comfortable going there, just a 45 min drive. Always exciting. I've got 12 athletes competing. 

F36B3572-7466-4E50-9D97-07A5F50DA66D.thumb.jpeg.7c06edfc37d0fe54670fc0f9364e482a.jpeg

F6EC61D0-830D-40F8-9688-0DE169FA671B.thumb.jpeg.c143100ab0f25117341e57a941ff2175.jpeg

431B37C8-0C6F-4807-88B6-D01167222CBC.thumb.jpeg.2b3608d2c9adb20fe77aa4c3f4c59db5.jpeg

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Our daughter amused herself really well while we were doing this and late afternoon/ early evening we spend a lot of time together just playing games and drawing and playing with clay. She counts up to 19, recognises most letters and her own name, she asked me to show her how to make an E and an M today.. and her drawings are suddenly more than just stripes and circles. It's great to see. Oh and when Jaap hurt his knee she said "oh dear, come over here, let me hug you and kiss it better" 🤣

Ahhhhh! She's so cute! I adore baby ringlets. And 19... it's so close to glory, you know? So close. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Ahh! yes butter.. I'm still debating with myself over wether to allow it. There's hardly any protein (or lactose) in butter.. so it's very tempting. I might just avoid it at first and then reintroduce asap if all seems to be going well. 

That's why I'm so slow to phase out butter as well. I'm almost rid of all other dairy though, the exception being a few cheeses for cooking.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

In in!

How long will you have to go dairy-free for?

I don't consume much butter because my cooking roots are Mediterranean (olive oil) - the only thing coming to mind would be some pastries. Cheese/yogurt would be hard for me to let go off. But anyway, you got to do what you got to do, hey

On 2/13/2020 at 11:32 PM, starsapart said:

So the US actually doesn't mandate any paid maternity leave. You have FMLA which will give you 12 weeks unpaid, but as far as paid leave, that's at the discretion of individual companies (sigh). Most companies in my field grudgingly give 8-12 weeks, but in most cases, it is to biological mothers only. I was told that since I didn't have physical recovery, they didn't see why I would need parental leave. 🤦‍♀️ I don't understand why fathers don't get leave, and I don't understand why adoptive parents are treated like we're not real parents (legitimately, have these HR people ever met a newborn; regardless of whose uterus that baby grew in, it will need constant attention), but here we are.

That's beyond harsh. And I don't see how companies can even argue about biological motherhood when parental leave - including adoption - is granted by law, or is it not?

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

1 hour ago, @mu said:

That's beyond harsh. And I don't see how companies can even argue about biological motherhood when parental leave - including adoption - is granted by law, or is it not?

It is not. Not in the US.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Employers have to allow people to take time off when a baby, bio or adopted, comes, but they don't have to pay people for that time.

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

but they don't have to pay people for that time.

Many people won't be able to take that time off, then.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

15 hours ago, @mu said:

How long will you have to go dairy-free for?

Depends, maybe this child won't be allergic.. I'll test it when she has a sort of predictable routine and amount of fuzziness/crying so I'll have a reasonably accurate indication of wether or not it causes a reaction. If she is allergic, then it just depends on how long I'll be breastfeeding for. If I'm lucky enough to have it all work out again then that just depends on when I'm kind of done with it- I never want to be annoyed by it, ever. I don't want to fall into the trap of expecting it to be the same as with my first. 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Employers have to allow people to take time off when a baby, bio or adopted, comes, but they don't have to pay people for that time.

But is it additional time off, or is it vacation days? Because it sounded like @starsapart had to take vacation days.. which is even worse than only having unpaid parental leave. 

47 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s the point. In America the majority of the protections are for the corporate overlords not the proletariat.

At the risk of derailing my entire thread into a political discussion- I never quite understood how this could remain the same and even get worse in a democratic country.. and I still don't, but having watched some of the atrocities being said by 'your' political left I do understand better why people don't want to vote that way either...

• Like 3

Saturday... 

- I lifted something today, several somethings, but not very enthusiastically and not for very long.

- I did enjoy my family today, I was rather chill handling a hyperactive 3 year old and we ate at my moms which was nice.

- I did not do anything from/for my list today, I should have really spend some time planning out training programs, I had time for it.. but I just had zero focus, so I did nothing. I did make a Facebook event for our annual kettlebell competition that'll be in April and opened up the registration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Many people won't be able to take that time off, then.

Exactly :( 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

But is it additional time off, or is it vacation days? Because it sounded like @starsapart had to take vacation days.. which is even worse than only having unpaid parental leave. 

That is up to the employer.

A lot of companies offer something called FMLA, Family & Medical Leave of Absence, for X number of days, in addition to vacation days they offer. You can use this for time off if you need to have surgery, time off if you need to nurse a spouse who had surgery, or if you had a baby. However, a disturbingly large number of employers will not let fathers use this right after they became fathers, since they don't need to recover from giving birth and thus have no medical reason to take time off. My employer is considered generous and progressive, as they are one of few who considers "staying home to help the mother of my child while she recovers" as a valid reason to use FMLA time and not vacation time. My employer also treats adoption as a valid reason for granting parents extended leave from work.

And the fact that this is hailed as awesome and generous, should tell you everything else you need to know. For a country who fetishises the fuck out of motherhood every chance it gets, there is an obscene lack of federal legislation that protects the right and health of actual mothers, in the US today.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s the point. In America the majority of the protections are for the corporate overlords not the proletariat.

Right.

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

At the risk of derailing my entire thread into a political discussion- I never quite understood how this could remain the same and even get worse in a democratic country.. and I still don't, but having watched some of the atrocities being said by 'your' political left I do understand better why people don't want to vote that way either...

Like to play with fire, huh?
Well, I think that tax cuts stimulate the economy and anyone can be a millionaire if they work hard enough. Shhh, don't look at structural constraints. It's all about personal talent and vigour. And the less that corporations and wealthy people pay in taxes, the more they give back in... in wages and... and charity? I mean, I assume that's true. I don't have any evidence, but it feels like it should be true. Also, I greatly admire women who choose to give birth, and also those who don't choose it but who have no choice because we took away their reproductive rights and health care, and I greatly admire the way they raise children without any compensation or assistance, which is how it should be. 
America has the only viable political system in the world. Every other country is unfree, especially Germany, where they have great trains. You can't have freedom and trains.

• Haha 1