RisenPhoenix says the First Ideal

RisenPhoenix

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Give me hotpot recommendations. What's good?

Eh.  Honestly I'm not a hotpot expert.  I'll eat it if a group wants to go out, but I'm more of a ramen dude.  Like I get the novelty of hotpot.  But I'd much rather go to a Japanese or Korean BBQ if I'm going to be given slivers of meat and veggies.  Much tastier in my opinion.

-----------

Guys, I made it to the gym this morning!  Shockingly easy, too.  I was dead last night, I dosed myself with benadryl since I went to bed early, AND when I woke up this morning it was 16F / -9C.  I did make sure that my coffee pot was pre-set and would have coffee as soon as I woke up, which was good.  And had my clothes ready and warming on my radiator.  Splashed some Cinnamon Toast Crunch creamer in my coffee (what?  It's totally for the preworkout carbs and fat.  Yea, totally), and was actually really ready to go like, 15 minutes after I woke up.  I actually had to pull myself back a bit since I wanted to not go THAT early (also the place would be barely open).  Tossed on a heavy hoodie and walked the less than 5 minutes to the gym.  And it was great.  Did a 25minute rowing workout, then DB benchpress and DB lateral raises.  Nothing insane.  Walked back to my place and was in the door by 0715.  So showered, dressed, and left in time to get to work for my usual 0830.

I love it.

Also my gym seems to be a mythical beast.  Because it's new, it's very clean.  But everyone was cleaning up after themselves, even the stereotypical BroDudes I saw.  And THEN when I did the dumbbell work I saw a miracle.  Everyone.  ReRacking.  The.  Weights.  I kept looking, expecting to see things laying around.  Nope.  Not a single thing.  And not from employees coming to pick things up.  Just actually people doing the correct thing.  Maybe it's just a factor of it being early in the morning, and that we've probably lost the resolutioners who might have poorer behavior in that regard, but HOLY CRAP.  I'm amazed.

Anyway.  teaching tonight and will just do what I was planning on doing last week now.  It was also told to me to expect an invitation to join the Board of Directors at my dojo.  That'll be.... interesting.  And technically I'm supposed be done teaching at the end of this month.  I fully expect a semi-panicked text or phone call from Sensei the first Friday of March asking me to keep teaching more.  But that's fine.  I will probably switch it to weapons every other week so my brain has time to practice what I want to show.  We shall see.

• Like 6

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Sounds like you had a Day of the Divine!    Great get up.  Out the door early.  Magical mythical gym.    Perfect!   Glad you got that after a tiring day of navigating the rugged terrain of daily existence with too many peeps!

Reward!

• Like 3

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

A pleasant update. Morning weigh in: 215. 

I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw that on a scale. 

Also last night no students showed up, so I went and played with Harvard down the street. There a new blackbelt regular at the dojo we train at on Friday nights, and he and I got to play for a good chunk of the class. 

I didn’t stay for the second class because I want to Do two classes today, plus the fact I did my morning workout meant I didn’t want to Kill myself. Also I needed to run back to work quickly for SCIENCE so I can have data Monday morning, without having to go in this weekend. 

This weekend is all relaxing after I’m done training. We’ll see if I get twitchy though. 

• Like 4

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Right so.  Days just kind of flew by.

Sunday I was mostly a blob, but also productive.  Chores at home, some shopping and batch cooking, cleaning.  All that jazz.  I spent years having my Saturday and Sunday mornings reserved for aikido.  Since the move we had to cancel Sunday classes (for some reason a church wants to use the space on Sundays?), and at first I was a little grumpy about it.  But the more things progress, the more I'm enjoying having and extra weekend day free for myself and my tasks, instead of training + chores.  Which probably is something that seems obvious, but a near decade of training 6 days a week made that harder to realize.

Yesterday I went to the gym, did 25 minutes of rowing (straight through!  Still 5000 meters!), then some lateral dumbbell raises, chest presses, and then some hanging knee raises.  Then after work I got to the dojo early, essentially put down 50 tatami mats by myself, and then trained for an hour.

And then was made a member of the Board of Directors.

So that's a thing.  A Big Ol' mild headache of a thing.  But also I think I might be able to handle it and the age-related politics I'm going to be facing.

Calories for the day were, on paper, slightly higher on Sunday and Monday.  Not really concerned because Sunday's overage essentially balanced out the Saturday deficit, and the Monday value is still below 2100 net and still doesn't take into account the lifting portion or my workout or the tatami lay down.  Today's count is looking to be solidly on track, too.

Also looking forward to the week, I'm debating if I need to ask Sensei if I'll be continuing to teach on Fridays.  On one hand this Friday was an end date.  On the other I have enjoyed the Fridays I taught, even if the topic wasn't what I was great at.  I'm less a fan of the loss of my play day, but also the group of people who make that a play day are slowly leaving the area, so even if I go back to training Friday nights I also will lose that eventually.  So I'm torn between the options, even though it's not entirely in my control anyway.  But its a thing on my mind.

Rest of the week looks decent.  I might be getting drinks with my former director Wednesday or Thursday to celebrate/thank her for helping me get my Exceeds Goals in my annual review.  Next week I have a bunch of afternoon tasks, including a Poutine night with November Project people in an attempt to be social/expand my circle/meet people who aren't in my friend circle who might be inclined to date me.  That'll be interesting.  But also next week I have an hour and a half massage scheduled.  Also car maintenance.  

On top of all of this, I'm trying to manage my boss into giving me goals that put me closer on the thinking end of things for my job.  More exploratory science experiments than rote things.  Which still need to get done, but I'll go insane if I do that and only that.  I think I have a good idea, but also I need to make sure he feels like he has control.  You know, like a typical uke.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

an attempt to be social/expand my circle/meet people who aren't in my friend circle who might be inclined to date me.  

The key to dating as you approach 40 (I know you're not there yet, but you're getting there) is shared interests.  Having a social connection is the first thing for introverts like us.  It takes time, but connections follow.

• Like 3

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

6 minutes ago, SevenFootGeek said:

The key to dating as you approach 40 (I know you're not there yet, but you're getting there) is shared interests.  Having a social connection is the first thing for introverts like us.  It takes time, but connections follow.

Echoing this. Having connection is one thing, but without shared interests you're gonna find it's really hard to maintain and build the connection.

At least, FWIW.

And honestly? A Poutine night sounds pretty incredible on its own merits regardless of how the social aspect turns out.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, SevenFootGeek said:

26 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Echoing this. Having connection is one thing, but without shared interests you're gonna find it's really hard to maintain and build the connection.

At least, FWIW.

And honestly? A Poutine night sounds pretty incredible on its own merits regardless of how the social aspect turns out.

Oh definitely.  Since I'm in no way dating in my current pool of friends, and my aikido circle is also in my off limits section (I mean, not that I actually have a crush on anyone in that circle, but also the way to meet NEW people is seminars and they are long distance which I am NOT DOING EVER AGAIN), the NP circle seems like a good choice.  Most of the people going I'm comfortable enough with to be around somewhat naturally, and the circle in general is large enough to meet new people all the time.  And while I'm not a runner, at least the physical activity/training part of life would be a common interest and something to relate to.

Honestly I'm not looking for anything super serious right now anyway, but having some community that's new(ish) would be nice.

• Like 3

I have no dating advice (being that I have been boringly married for 9 years and in the same relationship for 18), but it seems like you're on the right track there. 👍

And dude. Board of Directors? That's amazing. Seriously.

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

23 hours ago, Kishi said:
23 hours ago, SevenFootGeek said:

You all are so lucky you are not Rangers.

Rangerbrain .oO( We have 2-3 shared interests.  Ohmygod.  That's not enough.  What about this thing and that and that and that, and this? We both don't like those same 14 things... crap, it will never work.)

But, I love that you're pushing out past your boundaries and exploring this.  Very awesome.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

20 hours ago, Starpuck said:

You all are so lucky you are not Rangers.

Rangerbrain .oO( We have 2-3 shared interests.  Ohmygod.  That's not enough.  What about this thing and that and that and that, and this? We both don't like those same 14 things... crap, it will never work.)

:D I have that impression. Although I wonder if in the last time I was with someone if it was a matter of my interests informing my mindset? I'm apparently rather cheerful in the face of violence, and apparently some of my turns of phrase ("okay, hit me with it," for instance) were major turnoffs for the gal I was with.

Also, it's kind of ironic that y'all being into eclectic approaches to fitness (and LIFE ITSELF) would require such conformity between each other. Not bad, mind, just... quirky.

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Also, it's kind of ironic that y'all being into eclectic approaches to fitness (and LIFE ITSELF) would require such conformity between each other. Not bad, mind, just... quirky.

Huh, that is kind of interesting.  And something to chew on more!    Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Yay for desired movement of the scale!

My sympathy on being elevated to the Board of Directors of your dojo. I'm sure they have you pegged as "a young person who will do a lot of work".

I like your plan for meeting more people at NP. You don't necessarily need to rule out aikido people since there are lots of dojos in your area. You can go to friendship seminars and meet people who live reasonably close. Arguing about lineages and styles will give you and your new friend plenty to talk about :P 

Level 55  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

the NP circle seems like a good choice.  Most of the people going I'm comfortable enough with to be around somewhat naturally, and the circle in general is large enough to meet new people all the time.  And while I'm not a runner, at least the physical activity/training part of life would be a common interest and something to relate to.

AND THERE ARE SO MANY HOTTIES THERE. 👍👍👍

On 2/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

On top of all of this, I'm trying to manage my boss into giving me goals that put me closer on the thinking end of things for my job.  More exploratory science experiments than rote things.  Which still need to get done, but I'll go insane if I do that and only that.  I think I have a good idea, but also I need to make sure he feels like he has control.

Awesome. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Oh man.  This weekend was either really lazy, or really productive, and I can't tell which.

Made it to the gym Friday morning was tricky, because I stayed out late watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail with a friend.  I had fully intended to stay in and be a hermit Thursday night, but also I hadn't seen holy grail in ages.  I was not disappointed in my choice.  The gym was light, but still managed 5k meters in less than 25 minutes (PR for me), then some light dumbell work.  Then went to train with Harvard people because my home dojo that I've been teaching at needed to give up our space for a Friday night event at the church.  So I played for an hour and then went and got dinner with another friend, who has also been having a rough couple of weeks.  It was good to catch up with him and just hang out, despite the fact that our desks at work are RIGHT NEXT TO ONE ANOTHER.  So that was good.

It did mean that Saturday morning I was not in the mood for humans, so I skipped going to my dojo in favor of extra sleep, coffee, and reading.  Then I went to play with the Harvard folks for two hours before grabbing groceries and heading home to play video games.  Sunday was somewhat similar - reading and coffee in the morning, a brief stint at work, and then home to be hermit and play games.  Sunday I did my weigh in (I did weigh in on Saturday, but Sunday was more likely the real weight), and I'm down to 213.8.  Which means in about three weeks I'm down nearly 6 pounds.  Huzzah!  Since I was aiming to be 210 by the end of April, that seems like a goal I'll be making.  I have eaten a bunch in the last 72 hours, though.  Not feeling super terrible about it honestly.  Which is progress.

Also officially I'm done with my teaching stint at the dojo.  Which, er, had me barely teach in February.  I need to figure out if I'm going to be told I should continue teaching.  Though I'm also being asked to start subbing in at Harvard's club, so there's that.  No rest for the wicked.

No aikido tonight for me, though I did make it to the gym this morning.  Tomorrow I'm also missing class because I'm being social.  And Wednesday I'll be too dead to deal with class after Stairs + Yoga + Work.  Thursday I'd try to make up hours, but also I have a long massage scheduled.  Whoops?  Friday I'll angle for two hours if my body can handle it, and then I'll also go and do one to three hours of training on Saturday if I can manage it.  I need to pop into work this weekend, so that may screw my plans.

But otherwise, things are looking okay.  Little stressed on things, but nothing crazy.  And everything seems much more reasonable in the stress level than I had even two months ago, so that's great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Yay for lower stress levels and lower numbers on the scale!

I'm glad to hear you are making good choices on spending time with people, exercising and having time to yourself.

Well, I may have spoken too soon.....

A Friendship exploded this week, in spectacular fashion.  I know the part I played in it, but the response was completely disproportional to the offense.  I'm bummed, but also working hard to realize this is less on me and more on the other person in many ways, even if I can learn something about myself from all of this (namely my need to better communicate my boundaries and needs even in the depths of anxiety land).  Oh well.  I don't bear the other party any ill will, made my apologies, and said it's their decision and I'm around if they need me.  From conversations with this person before this they are content to ruthlessly cut out anyone they feel even slightly wrongs them, so I'm not holding my breath.  But the branch is there if they want to grasp it.

Also food has been terrible this week.  Partially because I went to hang out with @AgentsSka and drink beer and eat poutine, since we haven't hung out in forever.  That lead to staying up until midnight drinking.  On Tuesday.  You know.  The night before November Project.  I crashed at his place, and then yelled at him to get up and go to the Stadium with me.  Mwa hahahaha.

Wednesday day was terrible in the I-have-little-sleep-and-a-hangover-and-a-friendship-exploded-and-I-have-5-hours-of-sleep manner.  I got home and relaxed as best as I could, but I was still tired and grumpy Thursday.  Thursday I had a massage after work, which made things definitely suck less.  Also sucking less was getting to bed early.

This morning I sort of cheated on my workout goals.  Instead of rowing and dumbbells, I went to be under a bar.  It's been nearly two years since I did any heavy lifting, and the last few weeks I realized I was looking longingly at the three well-used squat racks at my new gym.  I wanted a change of pace, and that seemed like a good trial thing for the morning.  So after stretching I did a classic Squat-BenchPress-Deadlift workout.  I'm super pleased with myself.  I ended up pushing myself probably more than I should have (and will regret that in the morning I'm sure), but I ended up doing 155 pounds for reps on my squat, 135 reps on my benchpress, and 215 for my deads.  The deads I'm most pleased with since that's my current body weight and it went up so easily.

Tonight I was going to go train with Harvard, but my body thinks it's unwise since of the lifting heavy.  I'm going to go and hangout a little bit, then head home and probably catch up with my neighbor.  I ran into her as I left for work this morning and she's also had some crazy life stuff going on, so we figured we'd have a chat and see how things have been.  Then tomorrow I *want* to do two hours on the mat, then I need to pop into work for a bit, before moving a bed into my guest room, and then I'm hanging out with another friend that night for home made pizza, movies, and games.  Nice, low key evening.  Might end up meeting another former coworker/friend for coffee on Sunday, too.  So we shall see.  Trying to keep busy and sane simultaneously is hard for me it seems.

• Like 3

Deadlifts make everything better. You're probably better off without that friend, but if the previous clause is correct it doesn't make the suck less.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

(namely my need to better communicate my boundaries and needs even in the depths of anxiety land).

Wowser.  Like, this is coming up in my life literally as I write this.   It's so so hard, isn't it?    But you took something from a shitty experience, and that's something.      I'm sorry you had to deal with that explosion, but from my clueless 3rd person viewpoint, it seems like you handled it well on your side.

Nice job on the lifts!    

Always so nice when the workout gives you the smiles!

(Even if it's at the price of pain-later.)

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

That sucks when something blows out like that. :( I'm around if you need to talk about it.

In the meantime, though, I kind of feel like going off the rails a little bit is reasonable? And also that your version of "off the rails" actually looks to me like most people's "normal."

Also, good to see that you're back under a bar again. It sounds like it felt good to be back.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:42 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Partially because I went to hang out with @AgentsSka and drink beer and eat poutine, since we haven't hung out in forever.  That lead to staying up until midnight drinking.  On Tuesday.  You know.  The night before November Project.  I crashed at his place, and then yelled at him to get up and go to the Stadium with me.  Mwa hahahaha.

Mwahahahaha. 😈

I did a classic Squat-BenchPress-Deadlift workout.  I'm super pleased with myself.  I ended up pushing myself probably more than I should have (and will regret that in the morning I'm sure), but I ended up doing 155 pounds for reps on my squat, 135 reps on my benchpress, and 215 for my deads.  The deads I'm most pleased with since that's my current body weight and it went up so easily.

WOOO!!!

I'm going to go and hangout a little bit, then head home and probably catch up with my neighbor.  I ran into her as I left for work this morning and she's also had some crazy life stuff going on, so we figured we'd have a chat and see how things have been.  Then tomorrow I *want* to do two hours on the mat, then I need to pop into work for a bit, before moving a bed into my guest room, and then I'm hanging out with another friend that night for home made pizza, movies, and games.  Nice, low key evening.  Might end up meeting another former coworker/friend for coffee on Sunday, too.  So we shall see.  Trying to keep busy and sane simultaneously is hard for me it seems.

LOOK AT THIS SOCIAL ITINERARY! You little butterfly, you. 

• Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I am so goddamn tired for on all the things.  I really need to sleep more.  And probably human less, even the enjoyable, fun activities.

Food was solid Sunday until I allowed myself to splurge on some ice cream because of above statement.  Yesterday I was below my calorie limit, and today will likely also be below.  Even with the massive cookie I ate.

Yesterday morning I made it to the gym.  I had left my wireless headphones at work, so I only did a short rowing exercise, because the exhaustion + wired headphones constantly falling out of my ears during the rowing was making me incredibly irritated and ready to throw things across the room.  Great Monday start.  Ended up doing some extra stretching, dumbbell press and OHP, and CURLS.  Because I never do curls and I figured what the hell.  

No one ended up teaching at the dojo last Friday, which probably won't be caught until a student shows up for the class.  Which means I won't be called into duty until that is discovered.  There's a part of me that debates bringing this up, but since I'd be the first one they ask to cover, I'm torn.  I can still play with the Harvard people until that becomes official, and that probably is better for my mental health right now.  I do enjoy teaching (as it turns out), but also trying to get back on my own track + teaching + board member duties + crazy work duties + attempts at being social are.... a lot.

------

Re: Friend drama.  It seems they are coming out of it.  I had a message sent to me Saturday which.... actually make the situation infinitely worse.  I skimmed the message on Sunday after acknowledging that it was received (since that's what started this entire clusterduck), but would only read it when I felt I had the bandwidth and not any time soon.  It was enough of a message that I very much was in "wash hands of this" category.  I got ANOTHER text message late last night that was a lot more apologetic and actually acknowledged their role in the entire debacle.  We had a few exchanges back and forth over text this morning that were fairly positive.  Like I said, I know they've had a rough time in and out of work, and I've also been drained given everything, which in the grand scheme of things contributed to this more than either of us.  But still, not a discussion I'm going to enter until I think it'll be productive, which I explained.  It'll eventually go back to normal, and I told them as much, but also said I'm tired and have a lot going on.  But also reminded them I am still supportive and helpful at work.  The conversation we had when they got in this morning was positive.  So I'll take it.

This week is somewhat slower, socially, but also I'm supposed to go see my cousin this weekend for St Paddy's / birthday celebrations.  Not terrible, but also not thrilling me right now in the social scenario.  Also honestly not really feeling drinking alcohol.  I really just want to hide, is what I'm saying.  So.  There's that in my brain.

Anyway.  Keep on keeping on is the main thing, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Man, drama just... bites. Makes everything harder because suddenly everything feels like it's covered in spikes and you have to move so gingerly.

Or maybe that's just me.

But in any event, hey, you showed up and did stuff and sometimes that's all anyone can ask of themselves. Good on you. Get some sleep.