A WILD STEVE APPEARS!

Steve

7 hours ago, Steve said:

As you can see, I'm like a 5- 12 year old. I have to unplug my video game systems instead of just NOT play them.. I have website blocking software instead of NOT checking time-wasting websites. I track my sleep nightly with an Oura ring, and make sure I get at least 7-8 hours. 

In other words, I gave up on myself years ago, and now put on horseblinders and use technology, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made :)

Sometimes I’m really good, and others I need to use the forest app to lock myself out of my phone at work. So definitely with you on the technological horse blinders :) 

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Hi Steve, this forum and your blog posts have had a massive hand in me becoming the person I am today, so I'm really interested to see what an NF challenge looks like for you.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:20 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Hooboy, I feel you on this one.  60 seconds upside down equals about 45 minutes right side up.  I'm sure Science will back me up on that.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Scalyfreak said:

Only if you're moving very fast while you are upside down.

^I feel like this response needs more recognition.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

^I feel like this response needs more recognition.

I am very happy that someone finally noticed and understood the joke I was trying to make. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

21 hours ago, Steve said:

As you can see, I'm like a 5-year old. I have to unplug my video game systems instead of just NOT play them.. I have website blocking software instead of NOT checking time-wasting websites. I track my sleep nightly with an Oura ring, and make sure I get at least 7-8 hours. 

In other words, I gave up on myself years ago, and now put on horseblinders and use technology, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made :)

Mmm-hmmm. I'm using cold turkey. I have scheduled blocks on the most distracting websites. Including nerd fitness. I love yall, but not all day long. 

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's not fair. A 5-year old would need someone ELSE to turn on the website blocking software.  Calling yourself a 5-year old diminishes the awesomeness in realizing the ways you can monitor yourself. 

That makes you a 12-year old at least ;) 

I guess it's like being a shapeshifter that transforms from a prudent, moderate, rational human adult into an emotional, hedonistic gremlin. Technology gives the adult the power to cast binding spells that persist even after it transforms back into the gremlin.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, fitnessgurl said:

Greetings Fearless Leader!

Rosie says, "Woof! (Aka. Hello)." She wants to know where are the puppy pics?

Pup tax. Sometimes she gets stuck halfway:
IMG_0817.jpeg

• Like 15

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:16 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Sometimes I’m really good, and others I need to use the forest app to lock myself out of my phone at work. So definitely with you on the technological horse blinders :) 

I LOVE forest. Though I feel like an Idiot, as I spent all my coins to get like, digital palm trees and cherry blossom trees...instead of them ACTUALLY planting a tree for me! lol

21 hours ago, Kishi said:

Although if you're that desperate to be rid of it, I'll certainly buy it off you! See what a nice guy I am? :D

Ha! I'm not that desperate! I mean, at some point I still need to play: Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro...and whenever they come out Cyberpunk 2077, Last of Us Part 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and Ghost of Tsushima, plus whatever the new Assassin's Creed game is this fall. 

...and then PS5 and Xbox Series X (or whatever nonsense they're calling it) comes out this fall. 

Arg. That is a lot of games. 

Tuesday I'll give myself a B-

Hit my calorie goals for Monday, but was 200 over, so I adjusted Tuesday down 200. 

Got my writing in, but it was on a project and not just fun writing. No meditation, SOME journaling. 

I am traveling Thurs-Monday, so the next few days will be a bit chaotic, which I'm prepared for. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

Tuesday I'll give myself a B-

giphy.gif 

• Haha 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 2/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, Steve said:

Finished reading Three Body Problem this morning, and immediately downloaded the next in the trilogy. This book is like an incredible mix of Ted Chiang's short stories (one of which was adapted into the movie Arrival), Ready Player One, and the Ender's Game series (especially the later books in the series where they get crazy).

I know what I'm reading next, thanks! 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's not fair. A 5-year old would need someone ELSE to turn on the website blocking software.  Calling yourself a 5-year old diminishes the awesomeness in realizing the ways you can monitor yourself. 

That makes you a 12-year old at least ;) 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, RES said:

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

Agreed, we get points for autonomy.

• Like 2

NF Character

Current Challenge

Intro PostBattle Log

"Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

3 hours ago, Steve said:

I LOVE forest. Though I feel like an Idiot, as I spent all my coins to get like, digital palm trees and cherry blossom trees...instead of them ACTUALLY planting a tree for me! lol

The dilemma! I did the same - I have bought 1 real tree along with the 2 digital designs. Nearly have enough for #2 but am resisting looking at the store because temptation. 

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

5 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

The dilemma! I did the same - I have bought 1 real tree along with the 2 digital designs. Nearly have enough for #2 but am resisting looking at the store because temptation. 

For us the uninitiated, what is the forest app?

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 44

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Pilgrim's Progress (32%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

For us the uninitiated, what is the forest app?

It's a productivity app (looks like apple and google devices have access). The app itself is free, though there's probably stuff you can pay for. 

Basically you set a time (up to 120 mins) that you want to focus and it plants a digital tree. Stay off your phone for that time period and the digital tree loads into your garden (and you get some in-app currency). If you switch out of the app your tree dies and you have to start over -- Incentive to focus and not have skeletal trees in your digital tree-garden.

With enough in-app currency you can invest in planting of a real tree (according to the app developers at least, I haven't researched their follow-through tbh). You can also redeem in-app currency for other digital tree designs. 

I use it to help focus on days where i want to keep picking up my phone and like the idea of planting real trees just by spending time off my phone. But I only use it at work on my "cannot focus on stuff" days. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

With enough in-app currency you can invest in planting of a real tree (according to the app developers at least, I haven't researched their follow-through tbh).

On Android this is only available to premium (paid) members although it's only like $2. Also there is a limit on how many real life trees you can plant due to company/developer resources. I think it's 15, which is no small number but also not a lot. 

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

13 hours ago, Steve said:

I still need to play: Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro...and whenever they come out Cyberpunk 2077, Last of Us Part 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and Ghost of Tsushima, plus whatever the new Assassin's Creed game is this fall. 

...and then PS5 and Xbox Series X (or whatever nonsense they're calling it) comes out this fall. 

Arg. That is a lot of games. 

I know your pain buddy, Trust me. I know your pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Insert digital handshake :D 

Hellooo! Thank you very much for getting out of your own way :) I believe I was still just lurking when you were still active on the forums. Veeery exciting that you are back for a challenge!

"Just do the thing" is a very good tactic, and a good reminder that even the best still need to do upkeep!  

(Seriously, thank you!)

Good luck! Especially with the creativity debt!

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Back from my trip!

I ate all the things while visiting Nashville: BBQ, tapas, fried chicken, etc. Didn't work out much, but walked a LOT.

Got back Monday afternoon, and immediately went to the gym for a very crappy but "just show up, get back-on-track" workout! 

I was in bed by 9:30pm last night, and although my Oura Ring says I only got 7 hours of sleep and I tossed and turned a lot, I woke up feeling great and don't remember sleeping in at all.

I got my writing done this morning (Tuesday), but it was tough to get back on track, as I had 3 days of important emails and NF stuff to get caught up on. 

Back on track with calorie counting today too. 

More detailed updates coming this week as I get right back into the groove.

• Like 18

21 hours ago, Steve said:

Back on track

I really love how you don't dwell on or mope about being off track. You just get right back on. To continue the metaphor (or maybe cliche?), you don't tell it derail you. 

You're like:

giphy.gif

For real, though, it's inspiring.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Jumping in to say "thanks". Thank you for creating this awesome corner of the Internet. Someone called it "the anti-facebook". A place where people share about real life. Not the glorified facade a lot of people put up on Facebook. And I love that! And these last couple of challenges I've really taken advantage of this, and it has helped me tremendously. I've gotten so much great input from the awesome members here. So, again, thank you!

• Like 5

LATE ON MY UPDATE! 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, WolfDreamer said:

I really love how you don't dwell on or mope about being off track. You just get right back on. To continue the metaphor (or maybe cliche?), you don't tell it derail you. 

I think this is one the most important things i do that happens to work for me. 

I really try to not shame myself or feel badly about occasionally eating poor foods or missing a workout. Life is meant to be lived, and food is more than just sustenance. It's a part of a gathering with friends, or enjoyment with family, or whatever. So, just EAT the thing. 

And then the next day, go back to do what I do normally: eat the foods on my plan, hit my workout, and get right back to it. 

so, WEDNESDAY:

Hit my shoulder mobility work, got my handstands in, and tracked all calories:

WEDNESDAY WORKOUT:

A1) Romanian Deadlifts, Conventional Deadlifts

Warm-up: 10xBAR (RDL), 6x135 (RDL), 5x185 (RDL)

Week three:
    RDLs: 3 sets of 6 reps @ 225
    CDL's: 1x275, 1x315, 3/2/2/2 @ 385

A2) Weighted parallel bar dips

Warm-up: 6XBW

Week three: 4x6 @ 25 pounds

B1)Front squats

Warm-up: 6x95, 2x115
All weeks: 3x6 @ 135

C1) Front lever pulses 
Week five:
  • 4x6 
Week three: 4x3 w/ 4 sec pause at extended position

D1) Wall handstands

Week three: 3x60s

CALORIE GOAL: HIT! 

CREATIVE: B+ - got my writing done, but it's more 'technical' writing so not as fun. more on this soon. 

THURSDAY WORKOUT

Hit my calories, did my mobility, no handstands on this workout. 

A1) Chest supported dumbbell incline row

Week three: 8/8/8/8 @ 55

B1) Pull-ups

Weeks: 35 reps in as little sets as possible

12, 12, 11

B2) Push-ups

Week three: 19/16/50

D2) Incline bench curls

Week three: 6, 6, 6 at @ 40

D2) Overhead triceps extensions

Week three: 3x13 @ 40

FOOD: Went over by 200 calories, so I'll need to fine-tune my two 'powerbomb' shakes as i call them (oats, protein, frozen berries, frozen spinach). It really just means cutting back slightly on the 

So, I am back on track with training. A bit of chaos (good stuff) with NF biz behind the scenes, and some good chaotic life stuff too. Had a great walk with Pepper last night. 

And here we are Friday morning. CRUSHED IT! Prepped a lot of pepper's meals for the next week (she gets some meat and veggies along with her kibble). Got the gym laundry done and folded (while listening to the Exponent podcast, hosted by the writer of Stratechery.com , and feeling overall pretty good!

I'll give myself an A on the first 3. And a B- on the "write creatively every day" part, but i'm not gonna dwell on it. 

• Like 11

On 2/28/2020 at 7:21 AM, Steve said:

I really try to not shame myself or feel badly about occasionally eating poor foods or missing a workout. Life is meant to be lived, and food is more than just sustenance. It's a part of a gathering with friends, or enjoyment with family, or whatever. So, just EAT the thing. 

And then the next day, go back to do what I do normally: eat the foods on my plan, hit my workout, and get right back to it. 

Much truth here^

• Like 3

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 2/28/2020 at 10:21 AM, Steve said:

Wise words, my friend. 

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Welcome back! It is so inspiring to see how far you have come over this past decade.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, Steve said:

And yet, here we still are. The Rebels of the NF Rebellion fighting the good fight, helping and supporting each other, realizing they have to be their own heroes. I love y'all, and I'm glad you're still here. 

The feeling is mutual.

I'm not going to put expectations on WHAT I create, but I'm going to go with the same strategy I used to tackle the overwhelming task of writing Level Up Your Life:

Very grateful that you did - that book is how I ended up here.

Right now, I'm back to working on handstands again.

YAASS handstands! How are they going?

On 2/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, WolfDreamer said:

Glad you're with us, Rebel leader. I consider this experience, sharing the NF forums with you, encouraging you and supporting you on your own fitness challenge, more valuable than any autograph or photo op. I hope we see more of you.

^^^This. Our door will always be open. That is Rule #2 of the Rebellion, after all.

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

YAASS handstands! How are they going?

Pretty good!

Right now it's just a lot of "kick up against wall, hold for time" stuff - rebuilding the muscular endurance and balance. But i've had some holds of 40-50 seconds freestanding which feels great. 

I'm hoping with increased shoulder mobility and focus on hollow body holds, I can really get these handstands to be completely perpendicular, which should help with time under tension upside down! 

• Like 9

UPDATE!

Monday 3/2 - hit calories, handstands, shoulder work, and got some creative writing in:

A1) Weighted chin-ups 
Warm-up: 5xBW, 2x25
Week four: 5x5 @ 37

B1) Alternating arm bodyweight archer rows
Week four:
  • 2x8, 1x6 
  • 1 set of regular bw rows (false grip) @ 15r
C) Ring dip holds
Get into the bottom position of the dip on the rings and hold for time.
All weeks: 3x20s

D1) Wall handstands
Week four: 3x60s

D2) Band and/or pulley facepulls
Accumulate 100 total reps.

TUESDAY 3/3: Hit my calories, and creative work!

WEDNESDAY 3/4: hit calories, handstands, shoulder work, and got some creative writing in.

A1) RDL/CDL COMBO

Warm-up: 10xBAR (RDL), 6x135 (RDL), 5x185 (RDL)

Week four: 
    RDLs: 3 sets of 6 reps @ 225
    CDL's: 1x275, 1x315, 3/3/2/2 @ 385

A2) Weighted parallel bar dips

Warm-up: 6XBW

Week four: 4x6 @ 27.5 pounds

B1)Front squats

Warm-up: 6x95, 2x115

All weeks: 3x6 @ 135

C1) Front lever pulses 

Week four: 4x3 w/ 4 sec pause at extended position

D1) Wall handstands

Week four: 3x60s

THURSDAY (AM) 3/5: I AM FREE OF BLOODBORNE!

IMG_1020.jpeg

I'll say this is one of the toughest gaming achievements I've ever completed I think. This game was great. Didn't like the chalice dungeons much, but after being the main game twice, it was cool enough that i wasn't ready to be done. 

Still left to play in the Soulsborne series: Sekiro, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3. 

Coolest part about Bloodborne: it taught me to play more aggressively and offensively compared to how I played Dark Souls. 

I played Dark Souls 1 very timidly. Heavy armor, big shield, and slowly creeped through the world. 

Bloodborne, by the end, I was full YOLO mode. Staying close to big enemies, rolling and backstabbing, getting my timing down, etc. 

I had considered doing Dark Souls 2 and 3 before this. I AM SO GLAD I played BB first. I think it's going to make my playthroughs of Dark Souls 2 and 3 so much more enjoyable (and faster). 

To the GYM!
  • Like 7