A WILD STEVE APPEARS!

Steve

Those paw pads are so cute. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

THURSDAY WORKOUT:

A1) Chest supported dumbbell incline row
Week four: 6/6/6/6 @ 60

B1) Pull-ups
Weeks: 35 reps in as little sets as possible

13, 12, 10

B2) Push-ups
Week four: 20/16/50

Got 20/16/42

D2) Incline bench curls

Week four: 7, 6, 6 @ 40 lbs

D2) Overhead triceps extensions

Week four: 3x14 @ 40

HIT calories, did shoulder workout, got some writing done. 

• Like 12

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Just dropping off a little gift of sorts

-------------

You've been caught in the "crossfire" of the Scouts Virtual Color Run!

image.png

It's just a little bit of light-hearted fun and a celebration of Spring.

If you want to "participate," here are some ideas for this week:

• For one exercise session this week, pull out the brightest version of clothing you might reasonably wear
  • Get into the spirit of the holiday by letting go of an old grudge or resentment, or by taking the opportunity to turn over a new leaf and make a fresh start on something
  • Enjoy the season...find an extra reason to spend a few minutes enjoying being outside
  • "Throw some color" on someone else...maybe spread some cheer, or do a good deed.
  • Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, Xena said:

It's just a little bit of light-hearted fun and a celebration of Spring.

Love this, obviously.

I'll wear bright stuff to the gym tomorrow :)

• Like 5

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

SATURDAY WORKOUT

A1) Back squats

Warm-up: 6x95, 6x95
Week four: 6/6/6/6/6 @ 175

B1) Front lever pulses 

Week four: 4x3 w/ 4 sec pause at extended position

B2) Handstand push-ups

Week four: 3/3/3/2/2

C1) Good mornings
Week one: 4x12

D1) Archer ring push-ups 
Week four: 2x8, 1x6 

D2) Wall handstands
Week four: 3x60s

MONDAY WORKOUT

A1) Weighted chin-ups  

Warm-up: 5xBW, 2x25

Week five: 5x5 @ 38

B1) Alternating arm bodyweight archer rows

Week five:
  • 3x8
  • 1 set of regular bw rows (false grip) @ 15r
C) Ring dip holds
Get into the bottom position of the dip on the rings and hold for time.

All weeks: 3x20s

D1) Wall handstands

Week five: 3x60s

D2) Band and/or pulley facepulls

Accumulate 100 total reps.

Finding it really tough to not follow the coronavirus stuff and financial markets, so what I've found helpful (ill be adapting this below into an email for to the Rebellion this week!):

1) Remind myself that I'm a subscriber to Ramit Sethi's philosophy of index fund "set and forget" investing. I'm not selling anything regardless, as I'm invested with a timeline of  30-40 years from now with Vanguard Index Funds, so day to day swings need to be ignored. Even big drops. 

But still crazy to watch the wild swings of the market.

2) Being precautious about coronavirus, but not panicked (this article by my friend Taylor Pearson is great). From what I've gathered (not a doctor, don't play one on TV, didn't stay at holiday inn express), the concern isn't getting the virus, but rather the strain on the healthcare and hospital system if too many people get it all at the same time: not enough beds or doctors or nurses, which is scary. 

I think we're seeing the chaos of what can happen in a country that doesn't contain the virus early enough in Italy. 

So i'm being precautious: lots of hand sanitizer, reduced travel. Fortunately, as an introvert that works from home, i've been training for this my whole life. 

3) Re-listening to Ryan Holiday's Stillness is the Key on audiobook while making coffee each morning. I can do a chapter in the time it takes me to make coffee, which is a good stoic reminder of focusing on the long term important, and not getting swept up in the short term CRAZY/scary/exciting.

It's also Super Mar10 Day! 

• Like 16

The hospital where I work as a chaplain is engaged in some security theater to help the public feel better. The public are restricted to three entrances where they are screened and given a visitor badge indicating whether or not they have to wear a mask. Staff must display their badges at all time, and anyone without a visitor badge (sticker) or employee badge is directed to screening.

As for the dips in the market, anyone who IS a day trader would be wise to buy right now, because the prices are artificially low. I suspect the managers of mutual funds are doing just that.

Also, well done on sticking with the workouts.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 3/9/2020 at 7:29 PM, Xena said:

"Throw some color" on someone else...maybe spread some cheer, or do a good deed.

Heh heh heh, This one is easy!

Image result for paintball gif

• Like 3

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 3/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, Steve said:

Being precautious about coronavirus, but not panicked

This is an awesome way to look at this, I feel I'll be quoting this line to a few people over the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 3/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, Steve said:
From what I've gathered (not a doctor, don't play one on TV, didn't stay at holiday inn express), the concern isn't getting the virus, but rather the strain on the healthcare and hospital system if too many people get it all at the same time: not enough beds or doctors or nurses, which is scary. 

I think we're seeing the chaos of what can happen in a country that doesn't contain the virus early enough in Italy. 

So i'm being precautious: lots of hand sanitizer, reduced travel. Fortunately, as an introvert that works from home, i've been training for this my whole life. 

That's what I understood as well. Also, we have to mind not making visits to our grandparents and such because they're from the risk group.

As an introvert + mild (undiagnosed germophobe, I have just upped my regular protocol a bit :D  

The e-mail idea sounds good! You being the fearless leader and all. :) 

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

hat's what I understood as well. Also, we have to mind not making visits to our grandparents and such because they're from the risk group.

But remembering to call them once in a while . I read a facebook post from a senior who was saying how isolated they felt. Made a mental note to make sure we contact inlaws  .

• Like 2

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 3/10/2020 at 9:41 AM, Steve said:

ill be adapting this below into an email for to the Rebellion this week

Your email came into my inbox not long after we had a bunch of stressful contingency meetings at work, and it made me smile.  :)  Thanks for supporting us so well - and know we have your back if you're ever in need of some cheering up too.

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 44

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Pilgrim's Progress (32%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

For the Nerd Fitness "Stuck in the House" game, I would have gone with 3d6 instead of 1d20, that way you can get in one of each category with each roll :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Being precautious about coronavirus, but not panicked

Who would have thought that washing ones hands would become the best survival technique:

Fortunately, as an introvert that works from home, i've been training for this my whole life.

I keep asking myself what difference self-isolating for seven days would actually make to my life.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: More treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For the Nerd Fitness "Stuck in the House" game, I would have gone with 3d6 instead of 1d20, that way you can get in one of each category with each roll :) 

Ha! I dig this :)

• Like 2

Okay nerds

Lots of writing this week. We put out a big post on how to stay in shape while not leaving the house, because that's exactly what I've been doing since Wednesday.

I got my last workout in Wednesday (deadlifts), and have bought a pull-up bar and kettlebell to move my training into my home for the foreseeable future. 

I'll be documenting my workouts and strategies over on the Nerd_Fitness instagram in the stories each day (if I'm doing a workout), so hopefully I'll see some of you clowns over there too. Yes, it's just me replying and comments and writing. I'm treating it like my little sandbox to play in outside of big topics at NerdFitness.com

For those of you in parts of the country/world that aren't affected yet, do what you can to do some prepping now. It happens in an instant:

Grocery stores were fine over here (Hoboken, across river from Manhattan) on Tuesday. Shelves were empty yesterday. 

Call a friend, wash your hands, and give your gramma a call. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Steve said:

Call a friend, wash your hands, and give your gramma a call. 

Might I recommend sanitizing the phone in between steps 1 and three? Otherwise when you pick the phone back up again you'll get the same germs from the phone that were on your hands before you washed them ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Might I recommend sanitizing the phone in between steps 1 and three? Otherwise when you pick the phone back up again you'll get the same germs from the phone that were on your hands before you washed them ;) 

Sanitizing your cell phone should be done several times per day, for just this reason. 

I was in my grocery store the other day, and there is no toilet paper left, nor is there hand sanitizer. And based on what was on the shelf, hardly anyone has bought soap...? The thing is, common hand sanitizer is at best ineffective against cold and flu virus, at worst useless. The cold virus and flu virus are in the corona family, implying the current one that gives people COVID-19, is going to be similarly resistent to being doused in alcohol. Also, everyone I work with uses hand sanitizer incorrectly, which means even if the novel corona virus can be killed by Purell, it would not have mattered for them because of consistent user error.

Scrubbing one's hands thoroughly with soap and water on the other hand, that works against a virus and we should all do it all the time.

Source: Nurses and other hands-on medical personnel in my family. :) 

• Like 6

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

9 hours ago, Tobbe said:

How do I even do that? I'm not about to dump it in a bowl of soapy water and scrub it off...

7 hours ago, Emma said:

Bleach based wipe? That’s what I use on my Xray equipment at work, including the laptop.

What Emma said. Wipe off the phone, and your computer mouse, and keyboard, and gaming controller and everything else you touch frequently throughout the day, with the types of wipes that kill cold virus and flu virus. The Novel Corona virus is in the same family as them, so it stands to reason that something that kills the flu virus will also work on this new version of it.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29