• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi,

I am pretty new to the forum and I want to say hi. About myself, in 2015 I weighed around 300 lbs. I decided enough was enough.

It is time to do something about it. I started walking on a treadmill for 30 mins a day 6 days a week. Also, I started to push

my mom around in her wheel chair a few times a week for about  half hour as well. Between 2015 to 2017 I lost about 90 to 100

pounds. I have a lot of left over skin that I want to get rid of on my gut.I would like to firm that up as much as possible.

In November, I set up a "home gym" using cable and weights. I have high, med and low anchor positions to work on different

parts of my body (arms, chest, abs and so on). After a month (I know its not enough time), I decided to try resistance bands.

which I have been doing for 2 months. Here is my schedule for those months so far: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I walk on my

treadmill for an hour. Tuesday and Thursday I walk for 20 minutes, then use the bands for an hour. On Saturday, I use the bands

for an hour. The following is the sets i do for each day:

Tuesday:

1. Lying down on the ground with staps attached on each ankle alternating each leg from flat position to knee to stomach/chest.

2. Lying down with knees up and doing crunches

3. Lying down and alternating each leg up and down

4. Lying down with hands at chest level and legs in air (kind of like you are in a sittting position) bending knees from stomack

to straight out

5. Lying down with legs in the air rotating legs from 90 degree angle to 45 degrees.

6. Lying down with legs flat and bent at the stomach at a 45 degree angle and leaning back to a 75 degree angle.

7. Up and bend is what I call it.

8. Pull and turn.

https://imgur.com/HBQ5So3

https://imgur.com/02V7JLA

https://imgur.com/DEbfo7i

https://imgur.com/UNq0HIG

Thursday:

1. Chest flies

2. Bench Press

3. Standing high chest press

4. Single arm low crossover

5. High cable crossover

6. Wide stance crossover

7. Standing bench flies

8. Valley press.

https://imgur.com/RVQdreU

https://imgur.com/YrT1g4y

https://imgur.com/50pH6Id

Saturday:

1. On knees doing Pull downs

2. Standing rope crunch

3. Knee crunch

4. Knee crunch side to side.

5. Knee squats

6. One arm pull down rotating each arm.

7. Baseball swing rotating each arm.

https://imgur.com/tB3Z72g

https://imgur.com/V7dZXHZ

https://imgur.com/VLPloMY

https://imgur.com/CsDeFb8

https://imgur.com/4dLSIUS

https://imgur.com/cspb4ZS

https://imgur.com/oJOdshX

best-resistance-bands-protone-resistance-bands-set.jpg?itok=JV-qFkSh

These are the type of bands I use.

Could someone critique it for me and improve what I am doing for exercises for better results if needed. I greatly appreciate any help given :)

Thx

Sorry, This should be easier to read.

Hey buddy, I'm struggling to read your message because of the white on black. But anyway, what exactly are your goals? You said you're looking to firm up your stomach, but do you mean losing fat or gaining muscle? I'm not sure that exercise or diet really change the skin, but maybe someone else knows better. And you're doing a bunch of other exercises, so are those to help you build muscle or strength, or for losing more fat? Or all three? Can't really comment on the diet or exercise without knowing what you're aiming at :) 

Hi,

Thx for responding. I am trying to lose the fat from my gut and toning it up. The other exercises are to build muscle and strength which you are correct. Hope this helps. If not, feel free to ask other questions. Sorry about the white on black.

Hey tonino, welcome to the forum. You can't target fat loss, so you won't be able to specifically lose belly fat; what you CAN do is to follow healthy lifestyle choices that should help you to lose a bit of extra fat all over your body. Unfortunately, even as you lose additional fat and maybe gain some muscle, your skin may or may not tighten back up; there isn't really anything you can do about loose skin, other than surgery (which is rarely the best/first choice).

To continue losing fat, there are lots of different factors/variables/habits that you can work on. Some of those habits include:

- getting at least 7+ hrs of sleep/night

- avoiding alcohol

- doing some resistance training for 100-150min/week; as a beginner you might not know how to structure your workouts, so it might be better to follow something like the NF bodyweight routine to give you a good program to start with; if you prefer a cable routine; if you prefer using bands; if you really want to design your own

- eating 0.6-1g of protein for every lb of bodyweight

- eating no more than your TDEE; if you'd like to lose fat, a good method might be to eat at 75% of your TDEE for two weeks, then two weeks at maintenance, and then keep alternate back and forth every two weeks between eating less and eating at maintenance; another option could be to eat at TDEE for 5 days a week, and 2 days/week eat closer to 1,000-1,200kcal for a semi-fast on those two non-consecutive days (this is AKA 5:2)

If counting calories & protein is too complicated, you can use a simply guide like this for every meal (snacks could be a veggie, fruit, or protein):

9714459_download(4).thumb.jpg.31c2dbca08dee77fc0a4eb606835c128.jpg

Eating too little for a long period of time can cause it's own set of issues, so I'd recommend against the reductive 'eat less, move more' strategy without taking the other stuff into account as well.

The most important parts to remember though are to BE SAFE and HAVE FUN! ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Defining said:

Hey tonino, welcome to the forum. You can't target fat loss, so you won't be able to specifically lose belly fat; what you CAN do is to follow healthy lifestyle choices that should help you to lose a bit of extra fat all over your body. Unfortunately, even as you lose additional fat and maybe gain some muscle, your skin may or may not tighten back up; there isn't really anything you can do about loose skin, other than surgery (which is rarely the best/first choice).

To continue losing fat, there are lots of different factors/variables/habits that you can work on. Some of those habits include:

- getting at least 7+ hrs of sleep/night

- avoiding alcohol

- doing some resistance training for 100-150min/week; as a beginner you might not know how to structure your workouts, so it might be better to follow something like the NF bodyweight routine to give you a good program to start with; if you prefer a cable routine; if you prefer using bands; if you really want to design your own

- eating 0.6-1g of protein for every lb of bodyweight

- eating no more than your TDEE; if you'd like to lose fat, a good method might be to eat at 75% of your TDEE for two weeks, then two weeks at maintenance, and then keep alternate back and forth every two weeks between eating less and eating at maintenance; another option could be to eat at TDEE for 5 days a week, and 2 days/week eat closer to 1,000-1,200kcal for a semi-fast on those two non-consecutive days (this is AKA 5:2)

If counting calories & protein is too complicated, you can use a simply guide like this for every meal (snacks could be a veggie, fruit, or protein):

9714459_download(4).thumb.jpg.31c2dbca08dee77fc0a4eb606835c128.jpg

Eating too little for a long period of time can cause it's own set of issues, so I'd recommend against the reductive 'eat less, move more' strategy without taking the other stuff into account as well.

The most important parts to remember though are to BE SAFE and HAVE FUN! ;)

TYVM for such an informative post.  :)

• Like 1

certainly, though we CAN comment on your choices of exercise.  though fat loss is done mainly with your diet; being Stronger will help (lose weight); might help with loose skin and definitiely can make you feel stronger.

strength training, Specifically is one of the best way to lose fat, because it raises you basal metabolism.

this is basic theory found all over the web.

I'm no expert on programming but it seems to me much too focused on trying to burn fat from your abs; a common fitness myth.

I see one day dedicated to arms/shoulders but I think you could use some workouts dedicated to your legs and hips.

I also advise you to consider simplifying your workout.

we see this often, dozens of different exercises.  instead you want to pick exercises that target many muscles through the body and steadily increase weight as you gain strength.

the risk, is that with all these exercises; you'll do some  of them with poor form as you've not carefully read and understand the basic mechanics of the exercise.

exercise with poor form rarely build muscle and risk injury.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TGP said:

certainly, though we CAN comment on your choices of exercise.  though fat loss is done mainly with your diet; being Stronger will help (lose weight); might help with loose skin and definitiely can make you feel stronger.

strength training, Specifically is one of the best way to lose fat, because it raises you basal metabolism.

this is basic theory found all over the web.

I'm no expert on programming but it seems to me much too focused on trying to burn fat from your abs; a common fitness myth.

I see one day dedicated to arms/shoulders but I think you could use some workouts dedicated to your legs and hips.

I also advise you to consider simplifying your workout.

we see this often, dozens of different exercises.  instead you want to pick exercises that target many muscles through the body and steadily increase weight as you gain strength.

the risk, is that with all these exercises; you'll do some  of them with poor form as you've not carefully read and understand the basic mechanics of the exercise.

exercise with poor form rarely build muscle and risk injury.

Thx for the great response. If I may ask plz, in what way would you suggest simplifying my workout. I feel my legs and hips are pretty strong already but i guess they could be worked on as well. Can you recommend some exercises for it plz? I would really appreciate it.

I think you have 2 choices...

choice #1.  change/modify what you are currently doing 

choice #2.  start with a one of many many workouts out in the online world.

choose #1 is to be able to understand exactly what muscles are indicated in your program.  simplify those that hit the same mucles and look for complimentary exercise.

this seems difficult to me; as I'm not sure I experienced enough to offhand accurately (and comprehensively) do so.

what I CAN say is that it seems to me that an awful lot of Tuesday and Saturday are pretty similar abs exercises.  the other people that sometimes write on these kinds of threads have my respect.  I think they know much More about programming that I do (honestly). 

I've done this; (my own thing)- based upon what looked useful to me and I what I thought I could understand (in the past) and...

recently I've embraced choice #2.*

the program I am following is called stronglift and I'm gaining lots of strength.

what I appreciated (personally); was that programs that are online and widely recommended are really well balanced and well built, getting to the fundementals of gaining strength.... and that is why I have given the advise that I have.

Not that I'm an expert; 

but That I've learned to appreciate the awesomeness of programs that are built and balanced by the best minds of the fitness world.

*ofc OTOH; you'll find there are a lot choices out there! some ,maybe even many require equipment you might not have and you have the chore of trying to figure out if the person writing them up really knows what they are talking about.

(googling is your friend here and you can usually quickly assess a program's popularity in a short while.  popular programs are usually well built....)

• Like 1

Waving hello!  I'm 54, so I say this is a great forum. People here are  from all aspects. Some are super athletic, others are just starting out. We have some  regulars who are  40+

@Sloth the Enduring And @Chris-Tien Jinn Biggest differences  as we get older is that recovery takes longer. I like your plan of slowly building up to the weights. I was struggling reading the font, so I didn't get all your exercises. But, it seemed super complicated to me. It looks to me that both Tuesday and Saturday are abs based. I think I would only do abs once a week, or just a short portion on the days you do other stuff. I'd up the arm workout to twice a week. ANd like TGP said add more leg work. Bodyweight squats are a great way to start. Or since you walk, get a weighted backpack and do a weighted walk.

That will help you build muscle, but to lose fat, that takes being in a calorie deficit.

Congrats on all you've done so far!!

• Like 1

Hello Tonino, welcome and congratulations on your success. A forum for 50+ beginner fitness enthusiasts might be hard to find, but I’d bet you’ll fit in just fine around here.

I’m not an expert at band work, except for the rehab I’ve done. @Bearlee used them with success if he can be necromanced.

As far as your workout goes, I can’t help but wonder if you’d be better off with a full-body workout instead of splits. This workout has some moves that you might add in https://www.coachmag.co.uk/full-body-workouts/6867/blast-your-whole-body-with-this-resistance-band-workout

Good luck.

• Like 2

@TGP   That's a good idea to work more on my full body. 

@Elastigirl I never would of thought about adding weight to a backpack. That is such a great idea.

@Sloth the Enduring  I will change my Sat workouts and do those instead. now we are talking.

@Defining on what I should eat.

Thx for all the great ideas. I appreciate it a lot. Other opinions are welcomed as well. This seems like a great forum. :)

• Like 4