Mad Hatter sets it all on fire. Slowly. Part I.

Mad Hatter

In my little ideal world, I think it would be better not to ban people from meetings, and not have the government mandatorily close restaurants (mainly because it makes me cranky to be told no) But, living it out in practicality, there are way too many people like your mom, who won't listen unless you make them. Not to be all dismal, there are a lot of people, who even before it was mandatory, stayed home because they felt it was better for others

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm glad you're still drawing boxes. I've given up. But at least one of us is carrying the torch. 

It's mind numbing in a way that my brain appreciates... Productive avoidance if you will. It's harder to pick up a more creative project.

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

In my little ideal world, I think it would be better not to ban people from meetings, and not have the government mandatorily close restaurants (mainly because it makes me cranky to be told no) But, living it out in practicality, there are way too many people like your mom, who won't listen unless you make them. Not to be all dismal, there are a lot of people, who even before it was mandatory, stayed home because they felt it was better for others

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

I fight with this too. Individualism vs the collective welfare. It's the greyest of lines to walk. 

In Finland starting from tomorrow there's no such thing as individualism, as we're going into full lockdown for a month. It's definitely disturbing having never lived in a time/place where this was the case.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

she continued with saying that it's too late now anyway

No it's not!

Sorry to hear your mom is being so stubborn with the whole thing. There are not much cases there by now, am I right? Maybe that's why she thinks it's no biggy.

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's mind numbing in a way that my brain appreciates... Productive avoidance if you will. It's harder to pick up a more creative project.

In Finland starting from tomorrow there's no such thing as individualism, as we're going into full lockdown for a month. It's definitely disturbing having never lived in a time/place where this was the case.

It has been a first for me too, definitely will make a great story to tell someday

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

No it's not!

Sorry to hear your mom is being so stubborn with the whole thing. There are not much cases there by now, am I right? Maybe that's why she thinks it's no biggy.

Of course not...

Hard to tell, they're only testing in hospitals... But it's not trending well, especially taking the small size of the population into account.

12 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

It has been a first for me too, definitely will make a great story to tell someday

Great story indeed. 😏

ETKjB2wWAAEnbzr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Disturbing is definitely the right word. 

Personally I'm glad with government telling us to close down- because it gives business who do the responsible thing far more support from their communities, instead of receiving scorn and complaints they'll get sympathy and offers of help. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I'd ask in my own thread, but figured the question would get more eyes here...

I've been thinking I want to get more flexible in my legs/hips to aid in climbing. Want to be able to spread my legs further apart for a better reach on the bouldering walls. And, being the mind-readers they are, I got an ad for this in my FB feed; https://www.yogateacherscollege.com/21-day-hips/ But I've been spending too much money lately, and don't want to just throw money at some random thing online that I don't know if it's any good or not.

So, anyone have any input on how I can best work on my flexibility/leg reach? Ideally something I could incorporate in my next 5 week challenge here on the forums :) 

13 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I've been thinking I want to get more flexible in my legs/hips to aid in climbing. Want to be able to spread my legs further apart for a better reach on the bouldering walls. And, being the mind-readers they are, I got an ad for this in my FB feed; https://www.yogateacherscollege.com/21-day-hips/ But I've been spending too much money lately, and don't want to just throw money at some random thing online that I don't know if it's any good or not.

So, anyone have any input on how I can best work on my flexibility/leg reach? Ideally something I could incorporate in my next 5 week challenge here on the forums :) 

So, yes, I know it's T-Nation, but I've always liked this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8 It's more of a warm up & stretch rather than a flexibility program, but depending on where you're starting from, it's a quick, free resource that may get you started.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Disturbing is definitely the right word. 

Personally I'm glad with government telling us to close down- because it gives business who do the responsible thing far more support from their communities, instead of receiving scorn and complaints they'll get sympathy and offers of help. 

True, true.

16 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Sorry you are dealing with the family stuff. These are definitely disturbing times to live in, glad you are doing ok and keeping up the boxes!

It's really quite ok, considering. :) 

20 hours ago, Tobbe said:

6 hours ago, sylph said:

So, yes, I know it's T-Nation, but I've always liked this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8 It's more of a warm up & stretch rather than a flexibility program, but depending on where you're starting from, it's a quick, free resource that may get you started.

I had a quick glance at it and it looks like a decent enough warm up, but I for climbing I'd do things slightly differently. 

Lemme get back to you tomorrow! 

Yesterday I got distracted by work again and missed training. Got to stop doing that! I also went to the library to pick up two of the books I had on hold, right before the lockdown. Other than that I didn't do much except for drawing.

Today was a bit better. I went out for a walk first thing in the morning in order to avoid people and it was so much nicer and more peaceful when I didn't have to worry about how close I'm passing by people and about the whole beach being crowded with families. I also jumped on things. 😄

When I got home I did part of my strength work for the day, but switched gears halfway through to handstands as one of the exercises was press walks and it fit nicely. I didn't have loads of time before I had to start work, so I finished up the strength stuff in the afternoon instead. I even did the cardio section! Predictably, I hated every minute of it. 😛

What else - one of the pole dancers I follow on IG held a free live class so I did that too. Turned out my pain tolerance is absolutely non existent, I can't even do super basic tricks because they hurt too much. 😭

And of course I drew more boxes. I know I should spend just as much time doing my own drawings, but I really, really want to get them out of the way.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

There were burpees. 😫

:D :D :D  I can't imagine why you didn't enjoy them

Your walk sounds nice :envy:

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

On 3/18/2020 at 1:20 AM, Tobbe said:

I came up with something for you that I think should be good for climbing specifically. 😄It's probably a lot more focused on strength than you'd expect from a flexibility program, but flexibility without strong legs is useless in climbing.

Disclaimer - I don't know what I'm doing, this seems entirely reasonable to me but I might be way off base. Let me know! You can do the warm up as often as you like, the main section I'd do 2-3x/week.

Spoiler

Warm up

1. Squat routine No need to follow the reps/sets to the letter, just spend a few minutes doing the different variations

2. Cossack squats 5-10x/side, stay as low as you can throughout the movement (I haven't listened to the video I hope he's not saying anything stupid)

3. Lizard pose  rotate the hip of the bent knee 5x in each direction, chill for 30 seconds, then use your butt to straighten and bend your back leg without moving the rest of your body 5-10x. 

Main You can either do the whole thing as a circuit, or add in extra sets of the strengthy exercises (long lunge, step up, horse stance). The reps and sets are rough guidelines, but if it gets easy to do then you need harder variations, increase range or add weight.

4. Long lunge Static variation (30s) or pulses (10x/each) or both (around 19:38 - 23:20)

5. Pigeon pose 30 seconds/side, try to get your upper body close to the floor

6. Deep step up 10x starting with back knee on the floor, and the front foot on as high a surface as possible

7. Half frog stretch so one leg straight, one leg bent, 30 seconds/side

8. Horse stance - but instead of doing the finger thing in the video stand as close as you can in front of a wall. Squat as deep as you can - hold for 5-10s, repeat 5-10x

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I came up with something for you

Wow! :wub: Thank you! 

And about strength, I think you're right on point. I saw a video about splits, and he said that it's very much in your head, how deep you can go, and your head won't let you go very deep unless it believes you're strong enough to get out/up of the split. So he said strong legs were a prerequisite for splits. If that's true, it makes sense if it's the same for other flexy/bendy stuff as well. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:02 PM, Mad Hatter said:

There were burpees. 😫

You voluntarily did burpees?  That's dedication!

• Haha 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Quarantine is starting to take a toll on her :D  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Wow! :wub: Thank you! 

And about strength, I think you're right on point. I saw a video about splits, and he said that it's very much in your head, how deep you can go, and your head won't let you go very deep unless it believes you're strong enough to get out/up of the split. So he said strong legs were a prerequisite for splits. If that's true, it makes sense if it's the same for other flexy/bendy stuff as well. 

Very curious to see what you think!

That can be true*, but to clarify, what you need is strength at the end ranges of your joints. There are plenty of power lifters with extremely "strong" legs who can't do the splits, and even if they can, it doesn't mean that their strength carries over to active splits. Specificity matters. Flexibility can help a lot in climbing, but you don't need the splits for example and I think it's more important to first gain mid-range strength and learn to use what flexibility you already have. You can to a certain extent compensate for lack of strength and power by being flexible, but significant flexibility gains takes much longer to develop and won't take you as far. Not to say you won't see gains, just a long winded way of saying flexibility training should be a bit different when the end goal is climbing than doing the splits.

*I say can, because while flexibility is largely neurological, it's more complex than saying you have to be strong. I have seen many examples of people that have very little strength and control but can still do splits just fine. And the reverse can be true too, for example after an injury even after it's been healed. Things like sleep and stress and hydration also play a role.

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Once, I'm not convinced about doing it again. :P 

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Quarantine is starting to take a toll on her :D  

Oh dear you must be right. :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Once, I'm not convinced about doing it again. :P

Still might be one time too many...

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

14 hours ago, starsapart said:

Still might be one time too many...

Time will tell how loony I'll get during the lockdown. 😂

So far so good though. I'm trying to take @WhiteGhost's approach and focus on the positives, since there's nothing I can do anyway except for staying at home. My personal theory that I've had for a long time is that nothing will save humanity from the trajectory we're heading in besides a global humanitarian disaster, or WW3 or an alien invasion. I believe this is the giant reset button we need.

On Thursday I did a bit of strength stuff in the morning, then worked for too long again. 

Yesterday I did some low flow on the pole. 😍I got a bunch of new videos, not because I have a lack of underpants, but you know to support cool people. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 

My handstand teacher also had a FB livestream, yay! So I listened to that and I say listened, because it was super basic and besides the warm up I ended up doing my own things anyway. 😄He's so much more awkward in front of the camera than in class, it's rather endearing. But it was nice to hear his voice, it somehow gives a sense of, not normality, but familiarity or something. 

I cut the session short though because I started coughing a bunch. I feel absolutely fine and have no fever, but it's a little disconcerting. My worry wasn't so much me getting sick, but if I can even go outside at all. I wanted some fresh air after the class, so I thought I'd go for a short walk, but to avoid people I'd not go to the sea front but the area behind my house. No such luck, there were loads of people, and since I didn't think that coughing would be very popular right now, I looped back after like two minutes. No coughing today so I think maybe my throat got irritated by something. But it's hard not to be paranoid, especially when I trained with and hugged my friend a week ago and he's been sick with fever for a few days.

Speaking of walks, it's funny how I've tried to have morning walks as challenge goals several time before, but never made it stick. Now it's super easy to get out first thing in the morning because it's the time with fewest people and I don't have to stress. 😄Plus it's beautiful in the mornings, so peaceful. I found a cool little thing today, like a tiny waterfall of bubbles trapped underneath a layer of ice, trickling down some rocks. It made fun gurgling sounds. Good thing I'm easily amused in these times haha.

Also this song has been stuck in my head. I wonder why. 😂

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I cut the session short though because I started coughing a bunch. I feel absolutely fine and have no fever, but it's a little disconcerting. My worry wasn't so much me getting sick, but if I can even go outside at all. I wanted some fresh air after the class, so I thought I'd go for a short walk, but to avoid people I'd not go to the sea front but the area behind my house. No such luck, there were loads of people, and since I didn't think that coughing would be very popular right now, I looped back after like two minutes. No coughing today so I think maybe my throat got irritated by something. But it's hard not to be paranoid, especially when I trained with and hugged my friend a week ago and he's been sick with fever for a few days.

I hope it goes away or is something mild. And how nice that you're enjoying nature, in whatever little amounts you find it :) 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I hope it goes away or is something mild. And how nice that you're enjoying nature, in whatever little amounts you find it :) 

As I thought, just a temporary glitch in the system. 🙂Had a tiny bit of residual throat scratchiness, but that's it. 

Yesterday I put together a press to handstand routine from the Handstand Factory program. I'm not really ready to start press training for real, but I might as well add it in seeing as 1. that's what we've been focused on in class this entire term, and 2. the training seems to have a very nice carryover to my balancing work and 3. I have the program. It looked innocent enough, with only 4 exercises, plus 2 easy stretches, and 2 really hard flex exercises, but it wrecked me. 😅It's great.

It also contains my new favourite pancake exercise! It's to get rid of upper back rounding in an already pretty good pancake, as in, some part of your body between the forehead and navel is already able to touch the floor. You start in a passive pancake with your arms stretched out on the floor in front of you, holding a light weight (I used a pair of 1kg dumbbells). Then you push your heels and legs into the floor, which allows the pelvis to rotate and your entire body gets stretched forward and your shoulders lift off the floor. Hold for 10 seconds, and repeat. The last hold is supposed to be 20 seconds, but I did not manage it this time, it's really intense when you're not used to it. I tried a passive pancake afterwards and I managed to put my lower ribs on the floor, which is pretty cool considering that my hammies have been giving me trouble a lot until very recently.

Funny positive side effect of this whole situation - for once my dad and I are in agreement about politics. 😄Unfortunately the reason behind it is setting me into rage fits, as the Swedish government's stance is "to protect the economy, whatever the cost". I'm so disgusted by their attitude that money comes before people's lives. They're criticized by everyone, but they don't give a fuck. So much for a socialism and equality, fucking hypocrites. 

Anyways.

Positive side effect 2 - my mum got fired. Before you think it's a bad thing - in practice what it means is that for the next six months she's obliged to work only 40%*  but she'll be getting almost full salary (minus tips). Pretty sweet deal! And when things get back to normal she'll be the first to get hired, because they need her. Question is if she'll want to. I'm really hoping that my parents will focus on their non-existent business in this time and that she won't.

*Unless they shut down the restaurant, which is unlikely to happen unless the government tells them to. Pretty much every restaurant is insured if they get shut down because of disease, but if they shut down voluntarily they get nothing and can't survive. 

• Like 1