The Warrior Parsnip Returns

Parsnip

It's been two years since my last challenge, so I was pleased to log back in and learn about the 10th anniversary! Looking forward to checking out everyone's challenges :D

Two years ago I started getting coached remotely in olympic weightlifting. At the same time, work got kinda crazy, so I didn't have the energy to do NF challenges as well as my lifting program. But now I am back with a new challenge! And I have officially made myself a Warrior instead of a Ranger!

I am still prioritising weightlifting - my 3rd comp is on the final day of this challenge YAY - but next year I'm hoping to shift focus more to strongwoman, as that was why I started learning the olympic lifts in the first place. :P So my main goals on top of weightlifting 4xweekly are to drop my bodyweight a little and work on grip strength. (I have extra tiny hands...)

A post with my quests to follow shortly :)

• Like 3
  • Parsnip changed the title to The Warrior Parsnip Returns
47 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I am still prioritising weightlifting - my 3rd comp is on the final day of this challenge YAY - but next year I'm hoping to shift focus more to strongwoman, as that was why I started learning the olympic lifts in the first place.

Awesommmme. Oly lifting and strongwoman stuff both sound super cool. I hope you'll be flipping trucks and hoisting boulders. I assume that's what strongwomen do. 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Welcome back!

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 hours ago, Parsnip said:

A post with my quests to follow shortly :)

There is absolutely no rush on that. The challenge isn't over until March 21.

Welcome back!

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Says the warrior whose challenge is empty except for weird gifs.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!

Zero week is not over yet!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Very encouraging :D

I am about 70kg atm and would ultimately like to be mid-60s, which will put me in low 20s bodyfat%. Hoping to weigh in at 68/69 for the comp (last day of challenge!), then I don't have to stress as the weight class is 71kg :)

Food Quest - tracking my food intake

MFP is set up at ~20% calorie deficit of 1650. I am going to track my food everyday. 

Bonus: hitting my weekly calorie amount +/-5%

Double bonus: hit my weekly protein goal of 120g/day

Strength Quest 1 - doing a grip routine

I have got a basic grip routine off reddit r/griptraining which only takes a few minutes. For those interested it is here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGuVJAj96SE

I want to add it to the end of my workout 1 day/week with bonuses for additional sessions (no more than 3x weekly though, don't want to go overboard!)

Strength Quest 2 - adding in gymnastic rings work

I have the NF rings & handstands pack from way back when it first came out! I want to get back into the rings, focusing on the muscle up. This will be a fun way to help my (long-running) shoulder issues with the extra scapula exercises :)

Like with the grip, aiming for once a week with bonus for multiple days

Life Quest - keeping up my language learning with Duolingo

My streak is 41 days atm, want to keep it going strong!

Bonus: getting >350xp per week which is 5 lessons a day

• Like 3
On 2/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, Harriet said:

Awesommmme. Oly lifting and strongwoman stuff both sound super cool. I hope you'll be flipping trucks and hoisting boulders. I assume that's what strongwomen do. 

Haha, don't have anything like that yet but making up a couple sandbags atm, looking forward to messing about with them!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Life Quest - keeping up my language learning with Duolingo

Which language are you learning?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 2/16/2020 at 5:51 PM, Scalyfreak said:

Which language are you learning?

Scottish Gaelic :) I was trying to teach myself a few years ago with a book / online stuff but duolingo is much easier! It just came out in November, brand new course.

This is my fav sentence from yesterday - anyone remember the underpants gnomes? 

Screenshot_2020-02-17-12-47-44.thumb.png.e9f2c8154ca4a48f089bf28468f0e96f.png

• Like 3

Exciting day today! 

So I hurt my shoulder a year ago - very old existing injury that caused problems since I was a beginner with bad snatch technique

Been a long journey to get back to full depth snatching and heavy jerks

BUT tonight I snatched 45kg, which is equal to my best from 2018 :D

Also had a go at the grip routine, so that's one quest complete for week 1

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

That's impressive and I am envious of your flexibility in order to nail the squat depth like you did. Wow, just wow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Welcome back! You made that lift look so easy!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Bit tired today so rather than do my big weightlifting sess I did my first go at the rings muscle up progression and the grip routine.

Had to go back to level one of the muscle up progression but I'm sure it shouldn't take long to move back up :)

Been remembering to fill out MFP and do my duolingo every day, so meeting all my quest targets so far :D

• Like 1
On 2/21/2020 at 2:35 AM, Parsnip said:

Bit tired today so rather than do my big weightlifting sess I did my first go at the rings muscle up progression and the grip routine.

Had to go back to level one of the muscle up progression but I'm sure it shouldn't take long to move back up :)

Been remembering to fill out MFP and do my duolingo every day, so meeting all my quest targets so far :D

Sounds like a lot of awesome things happening in this thread. I'm here for it.

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

Still chugging along with this challenge :)

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, was a bit under the weather last week but back into the swing of things now! 

Food quest week 1 + 2

Tracked 9/14 days

Skipped 2 days when I wasn't feeling well then kept forgetting to start filling it out again!! That's typical when starting a new habit though so I won't kick myself too much about it :P

Average daily calories:

Wk1 1767 (7% over), 102g protein

Wk2 1728 (4% over), 85g protein

So I get bonus points for <5% week 2 calories :)

Hopefully I can up my protein a bit for the rest of the challenge...

• Like 4

Oh man! 

Just looked at my duolingo weekly email and I was 4xp off my bonus target of 350xp last week!!

Way over-shot it in week 1 though and I've had no trouble keeping my streak up :)

Screenshot_2020-03-02-19-51-07.thumb.png.88fc2205eabfffc2d7cf1a5e92fac263.png

• Like 2