Maigs is here.....kinda

Maigs

So, tax season is in full swing and I'm overwhelmed. I've been working 12+ hour days plus Saturdays and not getting at all caught up on the backlog. Add to that nearly everyone in the office dealing with extra personal crap (as in parent's dying, a miscarriage, spouse health issues that have involved 2 trip to the Mayo clinic, stomach issues that prompted a laryngoscopy, etc), and we're all a bit stressed.

I have two goals for this challenge:

1. Don't eat like a fucking moron
  2. Don't go fucking crazy

Exercise will happen when it can, but that may only be once or twice a week until mid-April. And that's okay, it's temporary. But since I can't control how often I get to the gym, I need to have some semblance of control of what and how much I eat. My boss and our clients try to be nice to us by bringing us lots of treats, but that's no excuse for me to eat 4 massive cookies multiple days in a row (like I did last year).

I don't feel like I expect to accomplish more than most people, especially since I don't have kids (how do parents do it?!), but in some ways I definitely do. I expect to cook dinner most nights, exercise 4+ times a week, keep a fairly clean house, read, keep up on tracking finances, and spending lots of quality time with Hubs. But all that just isn't possible during tax season. I need to let things go. I already talked about exercise, but I'm not going to be able to eat dinner with Hubs most night, meals do not need to be home cooked to be reasonably healthy, we're comfortable financially so I don't need to update my tracker weekly. Dinners might be things like pre-mixed salads for me and lunch meat sandwiches for him and that's okay. We might spend more on convenience stuff and that's okay. My kitchen might perpetually have dirty dishes on the counter, but Hubs will make sure to keep up enough that we don't run out of clean forks and that's okay. I might need to stay home an relax when I actually have time for the gym and that's okay.

Cute cat pics/gifs and positive encouragement are appreciated while I get through the next *looks at the calendar* 59 days

• Like 6

Current Challenge: Maigs Settles In

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 #11, #12, #13, #14#15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, #30, #31, #32#33#34#35, #36, 373839,  4041, and 42

2020 Races:  Spartan Trifecta - pushed to 2021 / Big Red Challenge 7k June 13 (cxld) / 5k the Hard Way Oct 17 (cxld)

13 hours ago, Maigs said:

So, tax season is in full swing and I'm overwhelmed. I've been working 12+ hour days plus Saturdays and not getting at all caught up on the backlog. Add to that nearly everyone in the office dealing with extra personal crap (as in parent's dying, a miscarriage, spouse health issues that have involved 2 trip to the Mayo clinic, stomach issues that prompted a laryngoscopy, etc), and we're all a bit stressed.

I expect to cook dinner most nights, exercise 4+ times a week, keep a fairly clean house, read, keep up on tracking finances, and spending lots of quality time with Hubs. But all that just isn't possible during tax season. I need to let things go. 

….and that's okay.

That list sounds pretty daunting to me, even without tax season and EVERYTHING ELSE going on your life right now. I will repeat 'and that's okay' on demand for you anytime, if that helps! I don't have many cat gifs in reserve, but I will find new ones just for you.

1080032787_download(1).gif.58c72a7e99ad360d34f48b1a11c6c706.gif

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I fully support your two goals.  You can do it!

Happy Challenge!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

I really like this challenge! Sometimes we can get so caught up in trying to make everything ideal, and then beat ourselves up when we can't live up to our unrealistic expectations. You have set yourself for good successes.

• Like 2

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Realistic expectations FTW! 

Our lives have their seasons... And tax season is just one of the ones that you have to deal with! 

Survival is paramount, life will be waiting for you at the end of it. 

You can do this. 

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

On 2/16/2020 at 11:45 AM, Defining said:

That list sounds pretty daunting to me, even without tax season and EVERYTHING ELSE going on your life right now. I will repeat 'and that's okay' on demand for you anytime, if that helps! I don't have many cat gifs in reserve, but I will find new ones just for you.

I might have to take you up on that. Without the tax season and office drama, the rest isn't too bad for me, but definitely not feasible to do it all this time of year

On 2/16/2020 at 5:44 PM, Cheetah said:

I fully support your two goals.  You can do it!

Happy Challenge!

Thanks Cheetz

11 hours ago, Xena said:

giphy.gif

I need to train my cat to do that

10 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Realistic expectations FTW! 

Our lives have their seasons... And tax season is just one of the ones that you have to deal with! 

Survival is paramount, life will be waiting for you at the end of it. 

You can do this. 

Life and hopefully not too many extra pounds :) 

3 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Sounds like something i should have as challenge goals!

Go Maigs!

They're probably pretty solid goals for most people

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 #11, #12, #13, #14#15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, #30, #31, #32#33#34#35, #36, 373839,  4041, and 42

2020 Races:  Spartan Trifecta - pushed to 2021 / Big Red Challenge 7k June 13 (cxld) / 5k the Hard Way Oct 17 (cxld)

On 2/15/2020 at 9:40 PM, Maigs said:

I have two goals for this challenge:

1. Don't eat like a fucking moron
  2. Don't go fucking crazy

Well, so far I'm doing surprisingly good at goal 2, but not as good at goal 1. I'm settling into the long hours and Hubs and I are both coming around to what they mean for our evenings. Last night I unexpectedly had to stay extra late (almost 10pm...) and Hubs made himself some spaghetti (with lots of leftovers) and I had emergency burritos in the freezer at work and work was good enough that it didn't feel like a 14 hour day. I did however snack a lot, including a run to the store for a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin and a small candy bar. It wasn't from hunger, I'd just eaten a large lunch, I was just eating like a moron

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

I did however snack a lot, including a run to the store for a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin and a small candy bar. It wasn't from hunger, I'd just eaten a large lunch, I was just eating like a moron

For me, that kind of thing tends to be "feeling like I need a treat." Wanting a break and some kind of positive reward. So substituting sometimes works.

The other thing I've noticed, is that I get into routines of snacking on that kind of stuff. Once I break the routine, it isn't so bad. So maybe pick a day to start fresh, come up with a plan (not snacking at all? snacking on certain types of food only?) and stick to it.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I know for me stress eating is a real battle.  Having healthier munchies on hand helps sometimes, but not always.  Keep working at it!  You can do it!

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

5 hours ago, Xena said:

So maybe pick a day to start fresh, come up with a plan (not snacking at all? snacking on certain types of food only?) and stick to it.

I always have this feeling i can't eat enough when i watch what i eat. So this time around, i gave myself a wildcard. If in between meals i feel hungry, i can eat as much as i want! As long as it's fruit! We have an abundance of that at work (and usually some at home as the WW finds it important to give a good example to our kids). An apple, a pear, still feel like an orange, go for it! It relieves the pressure. Though i know i'm just fooling myself. As long as it works i'm gonna go with it.

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

Assgined to the following Adventuring-Parties:

DryJanuary

WeightLossPvP

14 hours ago, Xena said:

For me, that kind of thing tends to be "feeling like I need a treat." Wanting a break and some kind of positive reward. So substituting sometimes works.

The other thing I've noticed, is that I get into routines of snacking on that kind of stuff. Once I break the routine, it isn't so bad. So maybe pick a day to start fresh, come up with a plan (not snacking at all? snacking on certain types of food only?) and stick to it.

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I know for me stress eating is a real battle.  Having healthier munchies on hand helps sometimes, but not always.  Keep working at it!  You can do it!

It's definitely a "need a treat" thing, whether it's because I'm stressed, accomplished something, or just bored. I've tried thinking/implementing substitutes or rewards but nothing's really stuck. Well, caffeine helped some but I don't need to go back down that rabbit hole. 

If I do a nuclear "no snacking" I end up giving in pretty quickly. If I say "no sweets" I either give in or snack on way to many non-sweet stuff like nuts. Freggies don't appeal when I'm snacky (since I'm not actually hungry) so having then on hand hasn't helped. This sounds super complainy, and it kinda is. But I've been at this a while and tried different things and they're just not working

10 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

I always have this feeling i can't eat enough when i watch what i eat. So this time around, i gave myself a wildcard. If in between meals i feel hungry, i can eat as much as i want! As long as it's fruit! We have an abundance of that at work (and usually some at home as the WW finds it important to give a good example to our kids). An apple, a pear, still feel like an orange, go for it! It relieves the pressure. Though i know i'm just fooling myself. As long as it works i'm gonna go with it.

I'm not even watching about what I eat for regular meals. They're healthy and hearty enough that I'm getting what I need without being too much. 

I have a confession, I don't actually like fruit that much. Sure, berries, bananas, apples, grapes, and oranges are fine, but I will almost never seek them out on my own. If you put out a fruit tray and a veggie tray I'll hit the veggies. But even veggies don't really do it for me when I just want to snack

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Maigs said:

It's definitely a "need a treat" thing, whether it's because I'm stressed, accomplished something, or just bored. I've tried thinking/implementing substitutes or rewards but nothing's really stuck. Well, caffeine helped some but I don't need to go back down that rabbit hole. 

I'm not a massive fan of artificial sweeteners in excess, but they have their place. What about sugar-free jello that you've made with sparkling water? It's a very cool texture and offers a sweet option that you can maybe indulge in without (unnecessary, IMO ;) ) 'guilt'.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

1 hour ago, Defining said:

I'm not a massive fan of artificial sweeteners in excess, but they have their place. What about sugar-free jello that you've made with sparkling water? It's a very cool texture and offers a sweet option that you can maybe indulge in without (unnecessary, IMO ;) ) 'guilt'.

I've never been a fan of jello and now I won't eat it because of the gelatin. 

I have been drinking these Sparkling Ice drinks which are sweet without sugar or artificial sweeteners, but drinking at eating are not the same when in snack mode 

• Like 1

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Maigs said:

tried different things and they're just not working

Believe me, I understand exactly how you feel.  I hope you find your solution.

KBO. - Churchill

Other than a bit of a crisis yesterday morning caused by my continuous backsliding, yesterday was actually a decent day. Another really long day at work that didn't feel as long as it was. I did snack some but it was pretty reasonable and I ended up at around 2000 calories which is a good target for me. I didn't get home until after 10pm again and went pretty much straight to bed but woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible charley horse in my other calf (had one last week in my left calf, now it's in my right). The calf is still really tight this morning and makes it hard to stand after I've been sitting

Spoiler

This one is an oldie but a goodie and it also falls within the requested cute cat pictures criteria

Image result for hang in there cat

Could you have been a little dehydrated yesterday? I get bad cramps in my calves at night when I haven't drunk enough water that day.

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Other than a bit of a crisis yesterday morning caused by my continuous backsliding, yesterday was actually a decent day. Another really long day at work that didn't feel as long as it was. I did snack some but it was pretty reasonable and I ended up at around 2000 calories which is a good target for me. I didn't get home until after 10pm again and went pretty much straight to bed but woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible charley horse in my other calf (had one last week in my left calf, now it's in my right). The calf is still really tight this morning and makes it hard to stand after I've been sitting

Ouch, sorry about that! I have that problem  on occasion. I haven't found the one answer, but it seems to be happening less.  For me triggers for calf cramps are, too little water, too few carbs, too little electrolytes, sleeping with foot pointed upward instead of relaxed. Anyway, hope it heals quickly and you figure out why it happened so it doesn't happen again.I've actually had it cramp bad enough  that it was sore enough the next couple of days I had to really take it easy

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

22 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Could you have been a little dehydrated yesterday? I get bad cramps in my calves at night when I haven't drunk enough water that day.

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Ouch, sorry about that! I have that problem  on occasion. I haven't found the one answer, but it seems to be happening less.  For me triggers for calf cramps are, too little water, too few carbs, too little electrolytes, sleeping with foot pointed upward instead of relaxed. Anyway, hope it heals quickly and you figure out why it happened so it doesn't happen again.I've actually had it cramp bad enough  that it was sore enough the next couple of days I had to really take it easy

I don't think it's dehydration. I'm probably drinking less water than normal but still well above the 64oz rule of thumb (I'm probably a bit over-hydrated sometimes...)

I'm guessing it's a combination of sitting for 14 hours straight (with breaks to walk to the printer) and not getting to the gym as often. One thing we always do at kickboxing is 3 minutes of jump ropes which are killer on the calves, especially when you miss 1-2 weeks

21 hours ago, Defining said:

I also read in someone else's thread that they've been using magnesium to lessen muscle cramping? Might be something to look at.

I've heard of that, I may have to try it. Hubs also reminded me that bananas are supposed to be good for muscle cramps so I should probably eat a couple :) 

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Maigs said:

Hubs also reminded me that bananas are supposed to be good for muscle cramps so I should probably eat a couple

Coconut water is good too.

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Yesterday was similar to Wednesday. Not quite as long of a day at work, but mostly because I needed to give myself time to wash & dry my hair which, even with a shoulder length undercut, takes a while. Snacking happened, but in reasonable amounts so my total calories were a bit under 2k and my mood was a lot better. 

Work is coming in far quicker than it's going out. I have a decent sized office, but it's getting pretty full of files...

Spoiler

You got this! I remember the 12/14 hours days my first couple of years in the tax room. One thing you might want to try is take a 20 minute walk at 2pm, just around the block out of the office. It used to be enough that my feet wouldn't cramp up at night, and wake me up at 3am during my precious sleep.

Remember that there are no accounting or tax emergencies - no one is going to die because of having to file an extension. 

You are doing amazing! #taxaccountantsforthewin #55daystogo

• Like 1

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back