Latrop's Life Long Health

Hey all! 

I joined NerdFitness at the end of December and just happened upon this "5 Week Challenge" piece in my searches. Excited to be driving toward my epic quest!

So, why am I here. Life long health! I am currently 25. And you're like, "you're young, you don't need to worry about that yet!" And in comes my friend Michelle. She is a 59 year old marathon runner who just qualified for her life long goal of running the Boston Marathon for her 60th birthday! And I'm like, "man I want to be her." Not necessarily a marathon runner, but healthy and fit at 60. What solidified that is my parents who, in there mid 50s, just realized they probably should start taking care of themselves again.

So I figured, hey! Let's start now and build the habit. Be the Michelle 

My epic quest is all around life long health. The three sub-quests that I'm committing to for the next 5 weeks are:

Overall goal: drink 3 L of water a day

• Sub goal: drink 1.5 L every day (yes, that includes weekends) for 5 weeks

Overall goal: Always be fit enough to do anything

• Sub goal: up the game to 12 workouts over 5 weeks (2.5/week)

Overall goal: Be able to walk to the 5th floor without sounding out of breath

• Sub goal: walk up 9 flights of stairs (consecutively) 3 times per week for 5 weeks

Bonus - continue previous sub goals

• Walk 5 min every day
  • Eat 2 pieces of fruit per day
  • Do a quest every day!

I do all this, and I get that carbiner and atc (for climbing) that I've had my eye on!

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
13 hours ago, Latrop said:

So, why am I here. Life long health! I am currently 25. And you're like, "you're young, you don't need to worry about that yet!" 

On the contrary! I wish I'd started working on my fitness much, much earlier. I kinda envy those who were sporty as kids and never stopped--they're just in a better position to do whatever sport or activity they're passionate about as adults. Anway, it's great you're getting started now.

13 hours ago, Latrop said:

I figured, hey! Let's start now and build the habit. Be the Michelle 

That's the spirit! Good luck! 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, Latrop said:

Be the Michelle

That’s a heckuva mantra. It’s gonna take you places!

And it’s always nice to see a fellow climber on here!

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Week 1 update: Mehhh

Ran into a bit of a roadblock this week. Lost some momentum on Thursday when I injured my neck. An ice pack and rest only heals it so fast. Spent the past couple days sitting and staring straight ahead. Kind sucks but better then injuring it further.

sub goal: drink 1.5L of water per day

doing awesome! Even managed to do this without chugging the last of it right before bed!

sub goal: 12 workouts in 5 weeks

This is where the neck became a problem. Luckily I did 2 workouts in the first half of the week, but when it came down to doing my 3rd my neck said no. And that was supposed to be a boss battle. Come on man!

sub goal: walk up 9 flights of stairs 3 times per week

Luckily a neck injury doesn't prevent my legs from moving! Knocked this one out this week!

Next: two more days of rest and recovery so I can do a Tue/Thurs/Sat workout next week! And beat that next boss!

• Like 1

I find stairclimbing very satisfying. I did the Big Climb one year to see if I could and I think all the stair training beforehand was the best part! It’s still fun to drive past that skyscraper and feel a sense of accomplishment—I own you, building. 69 flights of stairs and 1,356 steps. I just about died as 8-year-olds zoomed past me, lol.

I can also attest to the power of fun purchases as motivation: I bought a huge houseplant after I made it through Dry January 😁

• Like 1

Week 2 update

A little late with my update this week, but everything is on track. Hitting all of my goals (including beating my boss battle!). However those pesky little bonus goals continue to evade me. Just got to keep working at it!

• Like 2
On 3/3/2020 at 9:18 AM, Latrop said:

A little late with my update this week, but everything is on track. Hitting all of my goals (including beating my boss battle!). However those pesky little bonus goals continue to evade me. Just got to keep working at it!

You can do it! And here's a little extra inspiration just for fun...

-------------

You've been caught in the "crossfire" of the Scouts Virtual Color Run!

image.png

It's just a little bit of light-hearted fun and a celebration of Spring.

If you want to "participate," here are some ideas for this week:

• For one exercise session this week, pull out the brightest version of clothing you might reasonably wear
  • Get into the spirit of the holiday by letting go of an old grudge or resentment, or by taking the opportunity to turn over a new leaf and make a fresh start on something
  • Enjoy the season...find an extra reason to spend a few minutes enjoying being outside
  • "Throw some color" on someone else...maybe spread some cheer, or do a good deed.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 3 update

Doing great with the water and the workouts. Already did my two 3 workout weeks so as long as I get 2 workouts this week and next week I'll be set!

I did miss my 3rd stair climb last week. I'm putting it in my calendar to make sure I don't miss it again!

• Like 1

Last update:

Success! Mostly. I hit all of my waters, all of my workouts, and all of my walks. I missed a stairs (and made it up), missed a few fruits, and a few quests. The key thing is I didn't let it stop me! I kept eating fruit and questing!

• Like 2
On 3/23/2020 at 5:12 AM, Latrop said:

Last update:

Success! Mostly. I hit all of my waters, all of my workouts, and all of my walks. I missed a stairs (and made it up), missed a few fruits, and a few quests. The key thing is I didn't let it stop me! I kept eating fruit and questing!

Nice job! 

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.